Edwards, Dwan... should be cut?

95altima12

McGee, is a goner, Edwards is a bubble guy but my gut says he's gone, Merriman got 2 years of paychecks for what 6 games out of 32. Cut him loose!

McGee has a 4 million dollar cap hit, doubt he goes anywhere.

If we sign Routt, I think McKelvin is gone, too.

I disagree.

A former first rounder in the last year of his rookie contract?

I'm pretty sure he gets one last chance under the new DC.

McGee has a 4 million dollar cap hit, doubt he goes anywhere.

That's only one factor.

Every player has two cap values… the cap "hit" if he's cut versus what he counts against the cap if he's retained. If the numbers are similar, I'd expect McGee to be gone.

He hasn't been healthy in how long? He no longer returns kicks for the team… he's taking up a roster spot that could be used on a player who might have a chance to get better as opposed to worse…

I would bet that McKelvin stays and McGee goes.

While it may seem on the surface that Dwan Edwards isn't a great fit for the Bills going into next season, there are two things I think that should be considered by all the folks in this thread who consider his release a foregone conclusion.

1- For some reason nobody wanted to talk about it when it was happening, but if you look at the latter part of the Bills season you'll see that the defensive staff was using Edwards in a lot of roles. In addition to his rock solid play as a 3-4 DE, he was also getting significant snaps in the interior of the Bills D-Line, both in 3 and 4 man fronts. While he's not an ideal 4-3 End, the Bills may very well view him as a capable DT, particularly on later downs or longer down/distance situations.

2- Buddy Nix views the Defensive Line as the heart and soul of a football team (a view with which I am in full agreement). Do you all really believe that Nix is going to willingly cast aside a tough, capable, versatile and reliable player like Dwan Edwards and weaken the unit he considers the most important on the team? Maybe the galdanged beancounters will rear their pimply pencil-heads to keep the Bills financial plan "streamlined", but if Dwan Edwards is released, it will not be a football decision and you can bet your bippy it will not Buddy Nix' decision.

Edwards is gone if Troupe's back is ok. Edwards can play a 4-3 DT in pass rush situations. That is what he did in Baltimore. But if Troupe is OK I don't see us keeping Edwards at that price to be the 4th or 5th DT. No way he plays DE.

I think Carrington has a great shot at starting at DE. He may be able to beat out Kelsay and if they draft LT, OLB, or WR in the first round instead of a DE he almost assuredly is the starting DE. I think the only way Carrington isn't on the team is if they sign Mario Williams or Robert Mathis and still take a DE in the first round.

If we sign Routt, I think McKelvin is gone, too.

No way. McKelvin is cheap at this point in his contract, played great special teams, didn't pout when demoted making it likely he is a decent teammate and he has skills. If they sign Routt, Florence is the one that is gone - maybe even if they don't sign Routt.

http://www.nyjetscap.com/Bills/bills2012.php

This site says that we can save over 4 mil on the cap if we cut him and he does not fit the Bills new D atleast that's what billsdaily says:

"Defensive Changes Hurts Some Players: The change to the 4-3 defensive will help some players but hurt others. Dave Wannstedt said in yesterday's press conference that the team wants defensive linemen that can rush the passer and lighter, faster linebackers. He said he doesn't want one dimensional type players that can play the run but not get pressure on the quarterback. This does not bode well for Alex Carrington and Dwan Edwards. Edwards is a prototypical 3-4 defensive end and doesn't have the pass rushing ability to be a 4-3 end. Carrington went back and forth between end and linebacker in the 3-4 but doesn't seem to fit the new scheme as well."

Carrington might not fit the D as well but I can see them keeping him around for depth cuz he is cheep and young.

Does this make sense or am I wrong about this? That 4 mil for Edwards would be nice to use on FAs.

OK the Edwards arguement i get b/c he was signed off of the Ravens squad as a 34 DE but the Carrington thing you are WAY off on !!! He was a 43 DE at Arkansas State & in his college career he had 21.5 sacks so where did you come up with he won't fit well in the new scheme ?? :blink:

If any thing hurt him it was last year playing him completely out of position as a LB & as a 34 D E the guy wasn't that at all in his career so it was like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole .

Like i said the Edwards thing OK iget it but your deal with Carrington is full of wholes & sinking fast !!!!! :thumbdown:

Jets fan here and I run the cap site that attempts to track the teams in the AFC East. As many Bills fans have pointed out to me the Bills operate on a cash rather than cap budget. The cap savings for players, in that case, is pretty much meaningless. Your team has so much potential cap space that cap charges really are of no problem to the team. The fact that your highest cap player is only at $6.3 million tells you all you need to know about the cap. Thats not even top 5 on the Jets or Patriots and I believe 4th on Miami. The question is are the cash savings on Edwards, Merriman and McGee worth the release. Someone had asked me about the Bills cash budget next year and my estimate, after rookie savings, was no more than $99 million. That a ton of room to sign Stevie Johnson and add a premium guy like Williams without making any cuts. Id expect the Bills to keep anyone that could contribute next year since the cap and cash of most of the guys currently on the roster are all pretty low compared to most other teams in the league. The only thing that would really necessitate such a move would be Williams requiring something like 20 million in upfront money which seems pretty high even for a top level player like him.

..... lighter, faster linebackers.....

For cryin out loud. They just got the roster clear of all the 200# lbs. I hope this is targeted at Spencer Johnson only. If they ditch Merrimen b/c he's never going to be healthy fine. But we the fans are screwed if they start talking about safeties playing linebacker again...

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I hope that Spencer Johnson is not cut. He has shown himself to be a versatile role player/backup and could easily be effective at DT or LDE in a 4-3. Johnson, Merriman and Kelsay are the Bills best edge pass rushers (as sad as that is), so it might not be such a good idea to cut two of the three unless the Bills bring in multiple superior edge players. If I had to cut one it would be Merriman since he really hasn't produced squat in his time here.

For cryin out loud. They just got the roster clear of all the 200# lbs. I hope this is targeted at Spencer Johnson only. If they ditch Merrimen b/c he's never going to be healthy fine. But we the fans are screwed if they start talking about safeties playing linebacker again...

I read Kirk Morrison & Moats are in the OLB discussion.

McGee, is a goner, Edwards is a bubble guy but my gut says he's gone, Merriman got 2 years of paychecks for what 6 games out of 32. Cut him loose!

Sunk costs. You don't make decisions based on sunk costs, only future potential. Classic blunder.

I disagree.

A former first rounder in the last year of his rookie contract?

I'm pretty sure he gets one last chance under the new DC.

That's only one factor.

Every player has two cap values… the cap "hit" if he's cut versus what he counts against the cap if he's retained. If the numbers are similar, I'd expect McGee to be gone.

He hasn't been healthy in how long? He no longer returns kicks for the team… he's taking up a roster spot that could be used on a player who might have a chance to get better as opposed to worse…

I would bet that McKelvin stays and McGee goes.

He misses a few games every year but is a good corner. I think they only cut him if they have better players or if he lost another step.

Edwards is gone if Troupe's back is ok. Edwards can play a 4-3 DT in pass rush situations. That is what he did in Baltimore. But if Troupe is OK I don't see us keeping Edwards at that price to be the 4th or 5th DT. No way he plays DE.

I think Carrington has a great shot at starting at DE. He may be able to beat out Kelsay and if they draft LT, OLB, or WR in the first round instead of a DE he almost assuredly is the starting DE. I think the only way Carrington isn't on the team is if they sign Mario Williams or Robert Mathis and still take a DE in the first round.

No way. McKelvin is cheap at this point in his contract, played great special teams, didn't pout when demoted making it likely he is a decent teammate and he has skills. If they sign Routt, Florence is the one that is gone - maybe even if they don't sign Routt.

Troupe is HORRIBLE with or without a bad back...he will be considered a BUST....and the only reason he will get to stay is that Nix would not admit a mistake so early....unfortunately Troupe will play out his rookie contract and then go down in anals like John McCargo.

Edwards is a solid pro...but his zero dead money and $4.175 cap saving contract makes him very vulnerable.

McKelvin isn't going anywhere.

Florence' contract also makes him very vulnerable....i thought he played awful last year.

McGee & Merriman better both get 100% healthy or they will be gone.

I hope that Spencer Johnson is not cut. He has shown himself to be a versatile role player/backup and could easily be effective at DT or LDE in a 4-3. Johnson, Merriman and Kelsay are the Bills best edge pass rushers (as sad as that is), so it might not be such a good idea to cut two of the three unless the Bills bring in multiple superior edge players. If I had to cut one it would be Merriman since he really hasn't produced squat in his time here.

He's actually better suited to be a DT in a Miami 4-3 defensive system where he could use his relative quickness to penetrate, etc. He was horribly miscast as a linebacker, an act of desperation, stupidity, or both.

i doubt McKelvin gets cut especially after the way he was returning kicks at the end of the year

I think he is a decent slot corner and can thrive as the nickel/dime CB and primary kick returner

there has been some rumors that mckelvin will be traded draft day,if the bills are trying to acquire another 1st he may be the deal sweetener..cinci has a slew of picks but also a big free agent list of there own players,maybe their need at cb is a lucky coincidence.

I wonder if Edwards has any trade value? seems like someone could use a solid veteran 3-4 DE for a late round pick. possibly a 3-4 team has an average LB that would be better suited for the 4-3

Spencer Johnson provides good depth as a rotational 4-3 DT.......I guess it depends on how high our staff is on Kellan Heard. IMO the better move would be to cut Troupe and keep Spencer. If Dareus or Williams go down we would still be in good shape with Spencer Johnson.

I wonder if Edwards has any trade value? seems like someone could use a solid veteran 3-4 DE for a late round pick. possibly a 3-4 team has an average LB that would be better suited for the 4-3

Spencer Johnson provides good depth as a rotational 4-3 DT.......I guess it depends on how high our staff is on Kellan Heard. IMO the better move would be to cut Troupe and keep Spencer. If Dareus or Williams go down we would still be in good shape with Spencer Johnson.

Yeah, I think Edwards would be attractive to a 3-4 squad. It just might be a matter of team's thinking the Bill's are more likely to release him because of the publicly announced switch back to the 4-3.

Also agree that Spencer has a lot of rotational depth value to this team in whatever base package we run. Just no more freaking OLB for him. It's pretty sad to think that our coaching staff was actually playing him and Carrington at OLB last year.