Schefter tweet

Kevin

I just think they waited too long. At this point he knows he is going to get paid no matter where he goes. He is about to get his first big contract of his career and he'll have the ability to pick where he wants to play. As a 7th round pick and former practice squad player I think that's huge. He has had a chance to think about being able to play for another team (maybe a team that has made the playoffs during his adult life). I get that there haven't been a ton of players being re-signed by their teams recently but I just feel like the time to re-sign Johnson passed a long time ago. I like Johnson but I don't think he's any more loyal than any other professional athlete and I think if he gets the opportunity to go he'll take it without looking back and would be justified in doing it.

I agree. He'd be a fool not to sign with a better team for comparable money. Would you rather be making $8 mil a year playing for a playoff team in San Francisco or making the same money with the bottom-feeding Buffalo Bills? It's a no-brainer.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1329359896[/url]' post='2383942']

Are you 10?

You believe what people say to the Media?

If the Bills wanted him, he'd be signed if we overplayed for him. Stevie would be stupid NOT to test the FA market.

Stevie might be gone.

fixed. Don't act like you know. You don't know. You think. And that's a fact.

1329397872[/url]' post='2384081']

Like I said - it's a cool benchmark but it's also not rare to hit anymore and honestly it's a pretty arbitrary number. Set it to 900 and we've had guys go pretty much their whole career. Heck - set it to 990 and moulds did 3 years. Set it to 1005 and Stevie has broken it once. He's never gotten to 1100. Yes, he broke the 1000 plateau twice in a row and that's awesome - I get it.

And Eric Moulds was a dam good WR

Point well made. We will have to pay him more than San Fran to keep him. If San Fran was not in the WR game I'd have a great feeling about him, but its a two way street. How much of a bidding war with San Fran do we get into, esp. if we can get Vincent Jackson and possibly another WR for similar money.

Vincent Jackson is terrible.....Bad attitude and has 3 good games a year (with Rivers throwin bombs to him, something Fitz cannot do) Count me out on the Vincent Jackson debacle

And Eric Moulds was a dam good WR

Agree. A better one than Stevie was my point. Contrary to the either you love him or hate him crowds- I like him a lot but not to the point that I dont think we wouldn't be ok without him assuming we get one of the top 5-10 in FA

Point well made. We will have to pay him more than San Fran to keep him. If San Fran was not in the WR game I'd have a great feeling about him, but its a two way street. How much of a bidding war with San Fran do we get into, esp. if we can get Vincent Jackson and possibly another WR for similar money.

What type does harbaugh like? Does Stevie fit the mold/scheme/void? If you ask around here you'd think meach and colston already signed out there. Point being who knows who sf is targeting. Stevie as a hometown boy doesn't mean they like his style of play or price as much as someone else

Edited by NoSaint

Agree. A better one than Stevie was my point. Contrary to the either you love him or hate him crowds- I like him a lot but not to the point that I dont think we wouldn't be ok without him assuming we get one of the top 5-10 in FA

What type does harbaugh like? Does Stevie fit the mold/scheme/void? If you ask around here you'd think meach and colston already signed out there. Point being who knows who sf is targeting. Stevie as a hometown boy doesn't mean they like his style of play or price as much as someone else

Interesting take on the SF fans. Down here in florida, buccs fans are already pre-ordering Colston jerseys. Also, it seems the general consensus from the fans seems that they consider Stevie on par with both Bowe and Colston as "top-tier" WR FA targets.

Interesting take on the SF fans. Down here in florida, buccs fans are already pre-ordering Colston jerseys. Also, it seems the general consensus from the fans seems that they consider Stevie on par with both Bowe and Colston as "top-tier" WR FA targets.

And from my part its an honest question - I dont know quite enough about the harbaugh offense to to say "he likes big possession guys" or "he wants a shifty burner" or even what role in their offense they are going to try to fill and what the budget would be for that guy. All ive heard is SF doesnt have a passing game, and stevie is from the bay area so hes as good as gone.

theres a lot more that goes into it - especially with a free agent market that is soooooo deep at wideout. With SJ, DJ, and VJ -- stevie might not even be in the top two guys with J as his last initial (that comment meant half serious). Colston, bowe, stevie, both jacksons, lloyd is a good player, meachem, welker, manningham, laurent robinson, mike wallace (restricted, so would cost a 1st), even reggie wayne could be an experienced stop gap at a price far less than 30-40 mill for the length of the contract like you will see with SJ13 - if you start talking situational value Wayne could be a great fit for a team like SF while they rebuild the position group. Not to mention a ton of NFL starters that could fill a specific niche very well, but not be the number 1 guy (eddie royal? steve smith? even roscoe?). Also, with crabtree, and vernon davis... and alex smith about to get paid, i dont know what they want to invest financially in the passing game. its already eating a lot of dollars for something that isnt core to their success.

Everyone with a FA WR thinks hes as good as gone and signing in San Fran. They will certainly be making a play for someone but it seems presumptious to assume that it will be stevie just because thats where he grew up.

Edited by NoSaint

I agree. He'd be a fool not to sign with a better team for comparable money. Would you rather be making $8 mil a year playing for a playoff team in San Francisco or making the same money with the bottom-feeding Buffalo Bills? It's a no-brainer.

Sorry, the bottom-feeder hat is worn by the Dolphins now.

PTR

Sorry, the bottom-feeder hat is worn by the Dolphins now.

PTR

Lol no. There is no more laughable franchise going right now than the Bills. Plus, we got clowned by Matt Moore twice last year.

It really stinks to say it, but everyone knows that Steve Johnson is a coveted free agent. Everyone also knows that coveted free agents get to pick their destination.

There just really is no reason for an NFL free agent with options to select the Bills. How I wish this werent the case, but that is the condition on the ground. We can all hope that someday somehow we can turn it around, but we won't see a coveted free agent sign with the Bills this year.

We will miss you, Steve. Happy New Year to you, and best of luck. Don't kill us when you play us moving forward.

Cleveland Browns really need receivers also. Here's a PD article on FA receivers and they listed Stevie 4th with a good write-up

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/02/deep_pool_of_free-agent_receiv.html