First ever mock draft for MTD

Damond Talbot

Hey Damond Talbot, first things first, I love your site, you guys do a great job.

I don't see Nix drafting the 3rd graded WR by passing on the 2nd rated OT, Reiff or a DE would be the pick there in this scenario.

I don't see Osweiler going before Tanehill and I believe Burfict will be this year guy that keeps on dropping. I'm glad Dont'a Hightower doesn't get picked by the Patriots.

The most interesting thing that I see in this mock is that a trend seems to be developing where both Upshaw and Ingram are falling in the first round. Mike Mayock, last night (NFL Network), said he loved the DTs in this draft. He hates the DEs. He said that based on watching tapes of Coples' senior year, he can't see Coples as a good pick anywhere in the FIRST THREE ROUNDS. This mock has Coples going to Miami at # 8. Upshaw goes to the Jets at 16 and Ingram to Tennessee at 20.

This mock indicates two things to me; 1 Mocks are somewhat out of touch with reality. Miami and Buffalo, I'm certain, have been watching those same tapes. 2. Coples, Upshaw and Ingram will be there for Buffalo at #10. But 10 might be too early to select any of them. So; where does Buffalo go from here? Brockers has risen in the mocks. This mock has him going to Carolina at #9. Brockers is one of the DTs that Mayock loves. Can he play DE and should Buffalo take him to play that position or look at one of the OT left on the board? Or should Buffalo select Ingram to play OLB even though this mock has him "valued" at #20?

It could be the best course would be to trade down even if you have to accept less than chart value for the 10th overall pick.

Is this a joke, or are you a Washington fan? This seems to be a complete "homer" mock for a delusional Skins fan...And, unless Jax picks up a top tier pass rusher in FA, they sure as sh*t won't be taking anyone that doesn't play DE or OLB. Oh, and Floyd to the Bills...?

Is this a joke, or are you a Washington fan? This seems to be a complete "homer" mock for a delusional Skins fan...And, unless Jax picks up a top tier pass rusher in FA, they sure as sh*t won't be taking anyone that doesn't play DE or OLB. Oh, and Floyd to the Bills...?

I don't think Floyd to the Bills is to far of a stretch. WR is a stated priority for the Bills. Floyd is highly ranked and fits the size that Buddy likes. Over the last few days I have started to think more and more that a wr may be picked early even if that doesn't fit Buddy's m.o. I do think free agency will have a lot to do with where the Bills decide to go in the draft. I'm not big on a wr at 10 but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

Now about the rest of your mock:

This is a tough year to project the draft imo. I think we will see a trade at the top as some team will be forced to move up for RG3. That will put a monkey wrench into all of these as the speculation of what team it will be is just that speculation. No way do I think he makes it to 6. I think 12 is incredibly early for Osweiller. I also think 16 is early for Burfict, he reminds me of Mualaga(sp?) who fell to the second round because of speed concerns.

All in all it was a good effort. After the combine we will have a clearer picture of who goes where as well as after free agency when it becomes more clear what teams holes are. Again I gotta state I wish I had you job! Any chance you guys need a north east staff member? haha

The most interesting thing that I see in this mock is that a trend seems to be developing where both Upshaw and Ingram are falling in the first round. Mike Mayock, last night (NFL Network), said he loved the DTs in this draft. He hates the DEs. He said that based on watching tapes of Coples' senior year, he can't see Coples as a good pick anywhere in the FIRST THREE ROUNDS. This mock has Coples going to Miami at # 8. Upshaw goes to the Jets at 16 and Ingram to Tennessee at 20.

This mock indicates two things to me; 1 Mocks are somewhat out of touch with reality. Miami and Buffalo, I'm certain, have been watching those same tapes. 2. Coples, Upshaw and Ingram will be there for Buffalo at #10. But 10 might be too early to select any of them. So; where does Buffalo go from here? Brockers has risen in the mocks. This mock has him going to Carolina at #9. Brockers is one of the DTs that Mayock loves. Can he play DE and should Buffalo take him to play that position or look at one of the OT left on the board? Or should Buffalo select Ingram to play OLB even though this mock has him "valued" at #20?

It could be the best course would be to trade down even if you have to accept less than chart value for the 10th overall pick.

That's odd. Mayock had Coples as his first DE going in the draft. NFL Network has his top 5 selections for each category on their ticker at the bottom, and I have seen Mayock have Coples #1 the whole time for best DE? Did something change?

Tim-

That's odd. Mayock had Coples as his first DE going in the draft. NFL Network has his top 5 selections for each category on their ticker at the bottom, and I have seen Mayock have Coples #1 the whole time for best DE? Did something change?

Tim-

Mayock looked at Coples' senior year tape, now has Ingram as the best DE. But says he hates the DEs in this draft. How long has it been since you watched the NFL Network?

It's hard to justify a WR in the first round IMO, RB as well. These skill positions players beisdes QB, in todays NFL, are vastly overrated, and are a dime a dozen. I would argue with the way that the game is trending that the WR position isnt anymore as effective now then it was 20 years ago. Which significantly lowers the value of the position in the draft and FA. For an example I give you GB's and NO's WR corp and the corresponding draft round they were selected:

Jennings - 2nd Rd.

J. Nelson - 2nd Rd

Driver - 7th Rd.

J. Jones - 3rd Rd.

Cobb - 2nd Rd.

Tight End:

Finley - 3rd Rd.

------------------------

NO Saints WR Corp:

Colston - 7th Rd.

Henderson - 2nd Rd.

Meachem - 1st Rd.

Tight End:

Graham - 3rd Rd.

Only 1 WR out of the 2 most explosive offenses in the league was drafted in the 1st round. You dont need a 1st round receiver EVER to field a productive unit.

The only players on the Bills radar in the 1st round should ALL be on the defensive side of the ball.

Edited by D2K

It's hard to justify a WR in the first round IMO, RB as well. These skill positions players beisdes QB, in todays NFL, are vastly overrated, and are a dime a dozen. I would argue with the way that the game is trending that the WR position isnt anymore as effective now then it was 20 years ago. Which significantly lowers the value of the position in the draft and FA. For an example I give you GB's and NO's WR corp and the corresponding draft round they were selected:

Jennings - 2nd Rd.

J. Nelson - 2nd Rd

Driver - 7th Rd.

J. Jones - 3rd Rd.

Cobb - 2nd Rd.

Tight End:

Finley - 3rd Rd.

------------------------

NO Saints WR Corp:

Colston - 7th Rd.

Henderson - 2nd Rd.

Meachem - 1st Rd.

Tight End:

Graham - 3rd Rd.

Only 1 WR out of the 2 most explosive offenses in the league was drafted in the 1st round. You dont need a 1st round receiver EVER to field a productive unit.

The only players on the Bills radar in the 1st round should ALL be on the defensive side of the ball.

I think you disproved your theory with your facts. Most of the names you listed were high picks. Maybe not first round but 4 second round and 3 third round picks does not show that they are dime a dozen. WR to me is one of the harder positions to project to the pros and is a better reason to steer away from round 1 as you can find good wrs later in the draft (as you pointed out). However think of the top wrs in the game today and where they were drafted. Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, and Calvin Johnson were all top 5 picks. Let alone you cherry picked two teams with amazing qbs. A great qb (Brees, Rodgers) can make middle of the road receivers look better than they are as well as a great wr can make a middling qb (Fitzpatrick) look better.

The Bills should still be in BPA mode no matter the position (save rb) yes even cb, even ot, even wr. They are in no position to pass on superior talent at any position (except again rb).

I don't think Floyd to the Bills is to far of a stretch. WR is a stated priority for the Bills. Floyd is highly ranked and fits the size that Buddy likes. Over the last few days I have started to think more and more that a wr may be picked early even if that doesn't fit Buddy's m.o. I do think free agency will have a lot to do with where the Bills decide to go in the draft. I'm not big on a wr at 10 but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

Now about the rest of your mock:

This is a tough year to project the draft imo. I think we will see a trade at the top as some team will be forced to move up for RG3. That will put a monkey wrench into all of these as the speculation of what team it will be is just that speculation. No way do I think he makes it to 6. I think 12 is incredibly early for Osweiller. I also think 16 is early for Burfict, he reminds me of Mualaga(sp?) who fell to the second round because of speed concerns.

All in all it was a good effort. After the combine we will have a clearer picture of who goes where as well as after free agency when it becomes more clear what teams holes are. Again I gotta state I wish I had you job! Any chance you guys need a north east staff member? haha

Personally, I think Floyd to the Bills is a HUGE stretch. Kid's got some character concerns and it isn't likely they take the risk. Wait for the combine and for Mohammed Sanu to tear it up. That's the WR I want and think will be the best WR to come out of this class.

I think you disproved your theory with your facts. Most of the names you listed were high picks. Maybe not first round but 4 second round and 3 third round picks does not show that they are dime a dozen. WR to me is one of the harder positions to project to the pros and is a better reason to steer away from round 1 as you can find good wrs later in the draft (as you pointed out). However think of the top wrs in the game today and where they were drafted. Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, and Calvin Johnson were all top 5 picks. Let alone you cherry picked two teams with amazing qbs. A great qb (Brees, Rodgers) can make middle of the road receivers look better than they are as well as a great wr can make a middling qb (Fitzpatrick) look better.

The Bills should still be in BPA mode no matter the position (save rb) yes even cb, even ot, even wr. They are in no position to pass on superior talent at any position (except again rb).

Cherry picked? Those were the number 1 and number 3 offenses in the league this year. It had nothing to do with cherry picking anything. I in no way disproved my theory. My theory is you dont take a WR in the 1st round, and I more then proved why you dont do that. I can add NE and their receivers if you want more definitive proof? Forget it, here is there WR corp:

Branch - 2nd Rd.

Welker - UDFA

Edelman - 7th Rd.

Ocho - 2nd Rd.

Tight Ends:

Gronk - 2nd Rd.

Hernandez - 4th Rd.

Those are the top 3 offenses in the league and again, of all 3, ONLY 1 WR or TE was taken in the 1st round (Meachem). Not sure where you are going with that?

Personally, I think Floyd to the Bills is a HUGE stretch. Kid's got some character concerns and it isn't likely they take the risk. Wait for the combine and for Mohammed Sanu to tear it up. That's the WR I want and think will be the best WR to come out of this class.

I like Sanu as well, but he can be had in the 2nd or trading back into the first (which I wouldnt do).

Kendall Wright IMO will be the best reciever in this class because of his YAC potential. I like Danny Coale from V-tech as my sleeper WR this year. 4.3 speed catches everything and spectactular in the short zones. Perfect slot guy IMO.

Hey Damond Talbot, first things first, I love your site, you guys do a great job.

I don't see Nix drafting the 3rd graded WR by passing on the 2nd rated OT, Reiff or a DE would be the pick there in this scenario.

I don't see Osweiler going before Tanehill and I believe Burfict will be this year guy that keeps on dropping. I'm glad Dont'a Hightower doesn't get picked by the Patriots.

Reiff is by no stretch of the imagination, a lock as the second rated tackle in this draft. And good job Damond.

Also, from what I've heard, Floyd isn't a polished route runner...something Chan puts a priority on.

Cherry picked? Those were the number 1 and number 3 offenses in the league this year. It had nothing to do with cherry picking anything. I in no way disproved my theory. My theory is you dont take a WR in the 1st round, and I more then proved why you dont do that. I can add NE and their receivers if you want more definitive proof? Forget it, here is there WR corp:

Branch - 2nd Rd.

Welker - UDFA

Edelman - 7th Rd.

Ocho - 2nd Rd.

Tight Ends:

Gronk - 2nd Rd.

Hernandez - 4th Rd.

Those are the top 3 offenses in the league and again, of all 3, ONLY 1 WR or TE was taken in the 1st round (Meachem). Not sure where you are going with

my statement was you cherry picked teams with great qbs and you did it again.

A lot of questionable choices. Osweiler and Burfict will not go in the 1st and we are definitely going pass rusher, not WR, unless Blackmon is there by some miracle. Mercilus will go top 15, hopefully to us.

Dont think Richardson goes to Cleveland and we pick Reiff over Floyd.

God I hope not. Reiff is no Bulaga and isn't even as good as Martin. That would be the one pick that would make my stomach turn.

Edited by H2o