Polian says Gronk failed their physical

bbb

Neither does the management at OBD.

But just to clarify when the same player stands up in a 3-4 om first and second down and then rushes the passer with his hand down on 3rd down in a 4 man rush is the player a 3-4 or 4-3 OLB?

I think what you described is the definition of a 3-4 OLB.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even on a very badly hurt ankle (which will likely require surgery) Gronk still was getting downfield. This was pretty amazing given the fact that it was pretty apparent New England downplayed his injury. He won't be going anywhere. Despite the fact he's not the sharpest tool in the shed, he has the potential to be one of the all-time greats at the position if he can stay injury-free

Agreed. Gronk is already in the record book. He layed it all out on the field, He tried for the "hail Mary" but he could not push off on that ankle. I don't care what he does in his personal life and neither should any of you. He is young, rich and single and you only go through life once. He can date whoever he wants.

Agreed. Gronk is already in the record book. He layed it all out on the field, He tried for the "hail Mary" but he could not push off on that ankle. I don't care what he does in his personal life and neither should any of you. He is young, rich and single and you only go through life once. He can date whoever he wants.

I agree but Kraft likes to sell hi. Especially when his player only dates girls named Phyllis.

Sy-Phillis that is.

Ingram is a beast and would be a great fit, but there's no way he slides all they way to #10. It looks like he and Coples are the only two elite pass rushers in the draft so they'll almost definitely be gone by the time the Bills pick. Personally I would be thrilled with former Dareus teammates Courtney Upshaw or Mark Barron with our #1 pick. Alabama's D the last couple years has been playing at an NFL level so either of those guys should be able to come in and contribute right away.

We need a Chase Blackburn type of linebacker. The dude was covering Gronkowski 50 yards downfield, was almost as big as him, and made the int.

Don't forget that Gronkowski was playing on a very bad ankle. I don't think Blackburn would normally be able to keep up with

him.

Gronkowski is a very tough matchup as he is tall, extremely strong and is very athletic for his size (dancing ability not withstanding).

Most Safeties aren't big enough to cover him and most linebackers aren't athletic enough.

FWIW, Gronkowski was a big risk coming out of college. He had missed his entire last year with a back injury. Nothing says red-flag

like a bad back for a football player. He also wasn't as prolific of a receiver in college - perhaps because his team's QB wasn't good.

Face it. Gronkowski is a beast. He's had 27 TDs in 2 years. He's going to get his. But the NFL will adapt. He'll get chipped, cut, held. The best thing to do with any of Brady's offenses is to control the clock like the Giants did. There's no defense like a good offense.

I don't really see any LB's covering Gronkowski. The way to defend against him is to hit him at the LOS, keep him in front of you and hit him harder in the short area near the LOS, and most importantly your safeties need to provide good deep middle coverage. Short of having a HOF-type safety, George Wilson is a relatively decent matchup in coverage compared to what most teams have.

I disagree with the poster that claims that the Bills haven't drafted specifically to defeatt the Patriots. Whitner, McKelvin, Lynch......these guys were drafted to pass defend and run the ball and control the clock against the Pats. If Whtiner had turned out to be Troy Polomalu and McKelvin had turned out to be Darelle Revis the Bills would obviously be a lot better. Why didn't it work that way? Whitner and McKelvin were both drafted higher than Polomalu and Revis, respectively. It didn't happen because the team was clearly focused on filling a need instead of taking the best difference making player available. Marv Levy made no bones about it, admitting that they were drafting for need.

Exactly. Would you rather hit him at the LOS with a 210 lb safety or with a 276 lb LB? The premise of my post was IF Ingram can run a 4.6 it makes him as fast as Gronk. The big question is can he change directions with Gronk. If he can, he can cover Gronk. Thinking that no one can cover Gronk is a bit of defeatism in my opinion.

But just to clarify when the same player stands up in a 3-4 om first and second down and then rushes the passer with his hand down on 3rd down in a 4 man rush is the player a 3-4 or 4-3 OLB?

And the NY Giants beat the Patriots by pass rushing not pass defending and throwing to multiple WR's with the worst rushing offense(statistically) in the NFL. So not only were the player choices poor, in retrospect the entire philosophy on how to beat them was wrong.

Regarding the Brady's safety, Brady said he had to get rid of the ball. There was no one open and he had no other place to throw it. Both teams, the Patriots and the Giants, played close coverage. The pass rush was part of it but tight coverage was just as important.

There is a blog on BuffaloBills.com today speculating that Melvin Ingram, at 6'2", 276 lbs. may run a 4.6 40. Buffalo needs a strong side OLB, one that can defend the run, rush the passer, and defeat TE's. If Ingram is as fast as expected and if he is nimble footed, i.e., able to turn and run, he might be the player that can neutralize Gronkowski.

Buffalo has to be able to defeat New England if it ever expects to win the AFC East. A big part of that is dealing with the Gronk. Watching him at the Combine is high on my to-do list. If he does as expected and both he and Coples are there for Buffalo at #10, Buffalo will need every second of those fifteen minutes.

If Coples and Ingram are there at 10, the Bills will have that card in the commissioners hand quicker than they did for Dareus and take Coples.

There are other athletic OLB's to be had in round 2. I like Ingram a lot though. But if Coples is gone, which I believe he will be, and Ingram and Upshaw are available I think the Bills would take Upshaw. I think Ingram would be their 3rd choice.

Edited by purple haze

And the NY Giants beat the Patriots by pass rushing not pass defending and throwing to multiple WR's with the worst rushing offense(statistically) in the NFL. So not only were the player choices poor, in retrospect the entire philosophy on how to beat them was wrong.

Truly the scheme and assignments vary based on a lot more than you described. From the sounds of it you are getting after a Suggs type player that tends to go between 34 olb, with some 43 end play in his career playing in a multiple front scheme. Allowing versatility without substitutions. Not a position that I believe this team is likely targeting. You will likely see a pretty pure 43, with straightforward 43 outside linebackers

There's a lot more to the designation than just playing forward vs playing back when discussing the differences in 34 vs 43 olbs. I'd expect our olb signings to look more like big durable in the box strong safeties than fast defensive ends and imagine their roles will mirror that physical description as a cliffnotes version. I don't expect a 270 lbs prototype 34 olb to be what we are looking at.

Edited by NoSaint

If Coples and Ingram are there at 10, the Bills will have that card in the commissioners hand quicker than they did for Dareus and take Coples.

There are other athletic OLB's to be had in round 2. I like Ingram a lot though. But if Coples is gone, which I believe he will be, and Ingram and Upshaw are available I think the Bills would take Upshaw. I think Ingram would be their 3rd choice.

I see risk in taking Coples. No doubt about his ability, just his "want to".

Regarding Ingram and Upshaw, let me refer you to BuffaloBills.com; specifically Chris Brown's blog titled Ingram to Leapfrog Upshaw?

Yes, and it was pretty clear at the time but that's what they thought. The main reason the Giants won though was because they have a star quarterback. Without Manning dominating 4th quarters all year the Giants weren't even a .500 team. And insert Ryan Fitzpatrick into that Giants SB lineup and Patriots win handily.

We need a Chase Blackburn type of linebacker. The dude was covering Gronkowski 50 yards downfield, was almost as big as him, and made the int.

Interestingly Blackburn was an undrafted free agent out of Akron in 2005.

He's spent his entire NFL career with the Giants although he was not signed by any team when he became a free agent after the 2010 season.

Blackburn was actually out of football for nearly 10 months until the Giants signed him in late November of last season.

Amazingly, any team could have signed him until he finally re-signed with the Giants in week 13.

you are seriously stupid if you think the patriots would even slightly consider trading Gronkowski....for a 2nd round pick none the less....get real or lay off the crayonz

Agreed. The kid just set NFL records for yards and td's in a single season. Not a rookie season, THE BEST EVER ALL TIME for every tight end that's ever played in the world.

When you say there is controversy that he and other Patriots had their shirts off dancing after they lost, you mean from a handful of vocal fans that are upset that he wasn't sulking. Kraft and Belichick are the only two that matter over in that camp, and the last I checked NFL coaches WANT players to have a short memory and keep their eyes on the next play, the next game etc.

He's a tough kid who shouldn't have even been on the field to begin with but he played hard from what I saw. Those high ankle sprains are 4-6 weeks all day and he did it in two.

If I were the coach I'd be happy the guy went out and enjoyed himself. The game was over, they were AFC champs and it came down to the last play in the bowl. They wouldn't trade him for two first rounders, nobody can cover the kid and he's only a rookie......

Interestingly Blackburn was an undrafted free agent out of Akron in 2005.

He's spent his entire NFL career with the Giants although he was not signed by any team when he became a free agent after the 2010 season.

Blackburn was actually out of football for nearly 10 months until the Giants signed him in late November of last season.

Amazingly, any team could have signed him until he finally re-signed with the Giants in week 13.

And he covered a majorly injured gronkowski. I wouldn't call him a target or praise him toooooo much.