Luck To Indy Equals Failure?

Let me start off by saying I am not calling Luck a bust, nor am I wishing anything against him. . . but,

If Luck does get Drafted by Indianapolis, is he being set up to fail? He is going to have to be equal to better than Peyton Manning in order to be considered a success.

People will be expecting big things from the undisputed number 1 pick. Everything Luck does or will do is going to be compared to perhaps the best QB to ever play, Peyton himself.

In Peyton’s first year, He completed 60% of his passes for 26 TD's and 28 INT's and almost 4,000 YDS. Luck will need to equal or top that.

I know the league has changed a lot since 1998, but this Colts team is a bigger mess than anyone could have guessed. An aging D that can’t stop anyone. An offense that was proven, without #18 couldn’t score at all. Luck will be throwing the ball a lot in order to keep pace with opposing teams.

Indy's success was score points first and then sit back in a pass defense and let the d line get after the QB. This year proved that, and it also showed how to stop Indy.

Dalton and Newton were different scenarios. Neither team was expected to do any good this year, and there was no pressure to succeed, and they were able to just play the game. Neither was pegged to be day 1 starter. Both went out with something to prove with no expectations and no bar set.

The weight of the entire organization and city are going to be dropped on to Luck's shoulders. The bar is set tremendously high, he unlike previous picks cannot set his own pace, everything has been dictated for him and now he has to go out and match or go above every bar set for him.

Do you think Luck has a good chance at failure in Indy?

It's like the old saying goes, "I'd rather be the guy who replaced the guy who replaced the legend."

But as someone pointed out above, if Luck wins a SB it won't matter too much to the people of Indy. Now, if it takes him an inordinate amount of time to accomplish it, the natives will get restless and all bets are off.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Let me start off by saying I am not calling Luck a bust, nor am I wishing anything against him. . . but,

If Luck does get Drafted by Indianapolis, is he being set up to fail? He is going to have to be equal to better than Peyton Manning in order to be considered a success.

People will be expecting big things from the undisputed number 1 pick. Everything Luck does or will do is going to be compared to perhaps the best QB to ever play, Peyton himself.

In Peyton’s first year, He completed 60% of his passes for 26 TD's and 28 INT's and almost 4,000 YDS. Luck will need to equal or top that.

I know the league has changed a lot since 1998, but this Colts team is a bigger mess than anyone could have guessed. An aging D that can’t stop anyone. An offense that was proven, without #18 couldn’t score at all. Luck will be throwing the ball a lot in order to keep pace with opposing teams.

Indy's success was score points first and then sit back in a pass defense and let the d line get after the QB. This year proved that, and it also showed how to stop Indy.

Dalton and Newton were different scenarios. Neither team was expected to do any good this year, and there was no pressure to succeed, and they were able to just play the game. Neither was pegged to be day 1 starter. Both went out with something to prove with no expectations and no bar set.

The weight of the entire organization and city are going to be dropped on to Luck's shoulders. The bar is set tremendously high, he unlike previous picks cannot set his own pace, everything has been dictated for him and now he has to go out and match or go above every bar set for him.

No, He doesn't have to live up to Manning he just needs win which he will do once they rebuild the team.

Andrew Luck has a lot of positives, but as a wise person once said ( <_< ), it is hard to win in the NFL. There have been many can't-miss QBs whose careers have faltered thanks to weak teams and rushed schedules. Only time will tell.

Brady said that yesterday and I immediately thought of Jauron :lol:

After the way this season turned out, and that they went through this in 1997, I doubt Colts fans will be demanding Luck be Manning, at least immediately. And with the lack of talent on that team, it might be several years before Luck starts to produce. At least Manning had Glenn protecting his blindside when he entered the league.

No, He doesn't have to live up to Manning he just needs win which he will do once they rebuild the team.

Brady said that yesterday and I immediately thought of Jauron :lol:

To a smart fan your point makes sense. To the Hunger stricken what have you done for me lately? They need a story. I can see it now "If Peyton did it with this team why cant Luck?"

After the way this season turned out, and that they went through this in 1997, I doubt Colts fans will be demanding Luck be Manning, at least immediately. And with the lack of talent on that team, it might be several years before Luck starts to produce. At least Manning had Glenn protecting his blindside when he entered the league.

So you dont believe if he falters a little, the media wont jump down his throat. I'm not as much directing this at fans as I am media outlets that will do anything to create a storm. Once that storm starts its hard to stop it. . .

To a smart fan your point makes sense. To the Hunger stricken what have you done for me lately? They need a story. I can see it now "If Peyton did it with this team why cant Luck?"

So you dont believe if he falters a little, the media wont jump down his throat. I'm not as much directing this at fans as I am media outlets that will do anything to create a storm. Once that storm starts its hard to stop it. . .

If he falters as a rookie? No. If he falters after a couple years? Sure. But it won't have anything to do with Manning. Look at guys like Russell, Alex Smith (until this year). They got hammered for being busts on their own, not because they followed a legend.

So the OP thinks Luck has to equal or surpass Payton's rookie stats or the Indy fans will drum him out of town? Wow, outstanding, well reasoned point. Nevermind Manning only won three games his rookie year.

What if Luck only throws for 2700 yards and 18 TDs, but the Colts win 9 games? Can we then conclude his career will be three times as awesome as Manning's?

This is...I don't even know.

It took Manning 9 seasons to win a SB, despite being surrounded by some of the best offensive talent on a single team ever. No one is going to expect better from Luck.

The team still has some talent. I think it is silly to say that they only could have won more games this year with Manning as QB. I bet if they had any competent backup (and coach), they were good for 5 or 6 games. As it is, they had history's worst QB/HC combo (Painter/Caldwell).

Newton and Dalton weren't pegged to be the day 1 starter? I disagree. Newton was number one on the depth chart the moment they handed his name to Goodell. Dalton was the clear number one once it was apparent Palmer wasn't going to report.

So the OP thinks Luck has to equal or surpass Payton's rookie stats or the Indy fans will drum him out of town? Wow, outstanding, well reasoned point. Nevermind Manning only won three games his rookie year.

What if Luck only throws for 2700 yards and 18 TDs, but the Colts win 9 games? Can we then conclude his career will be three times as awesome as Manning's?

This is...I don't even know.

I neve said anything. I brough up the idea that people are going to expect great things from Luck right off the bat. Maybe not you, but a mojority of people are not going to remeber Peytons rookie year. They are going to remember the team That contiuously won 13 games until last year when Manning got injured.

Manning is a legend and Indy and the NFL. EVERYTHING Luck does in Indy(If he goes there) is going to be compared to Manning. The way he sleeps, eats, walks, talks, practices.

but you're right, I should just call him a bust before he even plays a game instead of trying to create a point to make conversation.

Edited by CountDorkula

Well, I seem to be one of the very few that looks at this situation from a business point of view. I actually see Manning staying in Indy this year, and I see Indy tradin ght first pick for the other teams first, and second this year, their first next year, and perhaps their second next year too. Besides the QB position, the Colts have a lot of holes to fill on all sides of the ball. if it were me, I would trade the Luck pick and grab 4 or 5 sure bets in the draft. There's always next year, or the year after for the Colts. Of course this is all predicated on the idea that Manning clears the medical. On the flip-side, if they try and trade Manning (Which is petty near impossible with that contract)they will get nothing in return. So the question is, are the Colts truly looking to the future, 2, 3, 4 years down the road, or are they trying to get back to the playoffs next year?

Ask yourself if you were the Bills GM and you had the Luck pick at number one. What would you do?

Tim-

The real question is this; does Indi have any alternative but to draft Luck? Many "insiders" are saying that Manning's career may be over. His nerve has not yet regenerated. Luck is said to be the best QB prospect to come along in years. What would you expect Indi to do but select Luck? Should they stay with the QBs they had last season which earned them, what, two wins? The Colts, I'm sure, considers themselves extremely lucky (pun intended) to be in a situation where they can draft Luck. I think the Indi fans that endured last season, will be very happy with the success that Luck brings to the team next season and for many seasons to come.

Well, I seem to be one of the very few that looks at this situation from a business point of view. I actually see Manning staying in Indy this year, and I see Indy tradin ght first pick for the other teams first, and second this year, their first next year, and perhaps their second next year too. Besides the QB position, the Colts have a lot of holes to fill on all sides of the ball. if it were me, I would trade the Luck pick and grab 4 or 5 sure bets in the draft. There's always next year, or the year after for the Colts. Of course this is all predicated on the idea that Manning clears the medical. On the flip-side, if they try and trade Manning (Which is petty near impossible with that contract)they will get nothing in return. So the question is, are the Colts truly looking to the future, 2, 3, 4 years down the road, or are they trying to get back to the playoffs next year?

Ask yourself if you were the Bills GM and you had the Luck pick at number one. What would you do?

Tim-

Tim; there are no sure bets in any draft.

No sure bets...

exactly my point in a way.. Is Luck a sure bet?

Tim-

No. But as close to one as you can get, I think. Still, Indi really has no alternative but to select this, very close to a sure bet, QB prospect. If one were to study first round picks, and I haven't done this; I'm fairly certain that drafting success improves the higher up you go in the first round. So, trading your first overall pick when you have a great need at QB and there's a great prospect sitting there, for multiple picks later on in the first round hoping to get that franchise QB later, is not what I would do.