Fred Jackson to get screwed?

Rob's House

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is true its the case of a bad franchise being penny smart and pound foolish.

Of course they dont have to pay him--and hes getting old. -But down the road that hurts the Bills

ability to secure free agents because of the bad rep/cheapness factor.

You dont break the bank for the guy---but 6-7 million over 2 years seems reasonable.-And CJ--although great at what he does-is not an every down carry the load back.He gets squashed like a waterbug at the LOS.They will make a great 1-2 punch--15-20 touches each...and that will extend Fred's career.

It definitely might happen... but I don't see what's wrong in letting it play out. There's no logical reason to extend him this very second, and there's no logical reason to release him, either. He's a great player, he helps our team, and we have him under contract.

WE WONT BE REALEASED... what is every freaking out about???? he is UNDER CONTRACT.. worst case is hold out and he trade him and he plays hard on current deal or we end up re doing his deal.. very simple.. cant lose situation..

Hold out, its that simple and that's what he should do and I am sure his agent will advise him to. It's the right move because it forces the Bills to do one simple... acknowledge his value to them. If they don't extend him, he can hold for 10 weeks or whatever it is, come back with less wear on his body and play tha final six games of his Bills career and hit free agency the folling year and get paid. He won't tons of money but by not playing he preserves his value by reducing the probability of getting injured and losing everything and then giving him a shot to make a decent final contract. He MUST sit out or get extended, that'll be the options. Or the Bills should trade him to a team that needs a RB for 3 or so good seasons.

If the Bills are stupid enough to put themselves in a local PR nightmare position and reduce the interest in them from other free agents, they're done. Jackson certainly isn't worth a huge contract, but he has value and despite his age, the guy isn't slowing down incredibly.

Extend him two years and bump him in 2012 to a fair value. How f'in hard is that? Ricky Williams will be 35 at the start of next season and if the Ravens bring him back for his last year, he makes $1.5. If they can't sign Jackson thought 2014 when he'll be 33 for a repsectable salary, something is sorely wrong with this front office. If Spiller is the guy, they still need a backup to share the load a la the Ravens and Jets.

I just can't comprehend this one.

- spiller pretty much produced just as well as freddie did,

Now Meat, I miss things from time to time, but I have absolutely no recollection of this event.

Except for the Denver game, spill didn't crack a c-note all season.

The bottom line is this... I've tried and I just can't do it!!! I am simply not ready to let Fred go. Not after last season. -I mean honestly, did he look 31 to you?

Didn't he rush for a buck or more in 6 out his 10 games?

Wtf does a guy have to do to get some love from this organization? -Have a weak arm, and Throw a bunch of INT's???

Edited by #34fan

some of you guys just dont get it

the bills wont release jackson because they want to. they will release him because freddie will make a stink, demand to be traded, nobody in the nfl will give the bills squat for a 31yo rb, and the bills will reluctantly release him to avoid the distraction and to let him get on with another team

this will be EGG-ZAK-LEE the same situation as thomas jones. he was still under contract when he had a big season with the jets. he freaked out when they wouldnt extend him for mo money. the jets cut him. he goes to kc for the same dollars the jets offered. he was never the same

EGG. ZAK. LEE.

i get no joy in reporting this. well except the joy of being right in the face of all you doubters. a-gain. but this is gonna happen

The Jets didn't cut Thomas Jones because he "freaked out," they cut him because he was due $5.8 million in his last year ($3 million roster bonus).

Fred Jackson is owed $1.8M for next year.

How is that exactly the same?

There's literally zero chance of cutting Freddie at a $1.8M price tag, to think so is asinine. Why would you think a team would outright cut one of the top players at his position when he owed so little money (comparatively)?

Instead of listening to radio gossip, why not just listen to Nix himself? I'm paraphrasing, but he said there is no urgency to get this deal done immediately, it's something he will look at over the summer. And you know what? That's a smart more. Wait until Freddie is fully healed and they will get a deal done in training camp.

I live a bit north of Richmond, and I can tell you that there is bogus speculation all over from outsiders...even if they have ESPN attached to their name.

Heck, in the NFC championship game this past week, the guy with Troy Aikman stated that "this was the same end of the field where Scott Norwood missed wide right in Super Bowl 25".

I looked around the room. Did I just hear that right?

The Bills and Giants did not play the Super Bowl in San Francisco. They played in Pasadena.

This is from the supposedly #1 broadcast team for FOX Sports?

If Jackson does not get extended it is a shame,I feel like he over delivered on his contract and they could have throw him some guarunteed money . That sai , this happens everyday to every team it is a buisness. Hopefully he shows up to camp and is ready to roll and then they take or him

I live a bit north of Richmond, and I can tell you that there is bogus speculation all over from outsiders...even if they have ESPN attached to their name.

Heck, in the NFC championship game this past week, the guy with Troy Aikman stated that "this was the same end of the field where Scott Norwood missed wide right in Super Bowl 25".

The Bills and Giants did not play the Super Bowl in San Francisco. They played in Pasadena.

I hate to be that guy, but its way too painful to forget.

Wide-Right was in Tampa.

The best team didn't win.........................

He put up some big numbers for about 7 games and then garbage time junk numbers. Then he showed he could not take the pounding of a full season.

It's not like he wore down, he got a broken leg. Following your logic any player who breaks a bone can't handle the pounding of a full season.

Are you sure you heard that?

This smacks of a news person trying to generate some flap where there is none.

you rang?

on the topic at hand - yeah, this is a non story at the moment. but meathead is on to something. i dont see it playing out exactly how he does, but the end result is the same. freddy is gone after next year, assuming he doesnt hold out prior to this season.

the #1 reason he'll be gone is that he wasn't a part of the long term plans since the new regime was installed. things change, but the facts on fred are the same. he's getting older and even if he has 3 years left as the feature back (which i think is generous), that's it. then what? you sunk a bunch of money that you could've used to eventually pay younger guys that need to be re-signed and go after FAs.

i like fred a lot. and i like his story, too. but in the NFL, you get paid for what you're GOING to do. of course, past performance is the best indicator, but you might prefer to gamble on someone who's got more left in the tank.

people always point to fred having low mileage. even though he wasnt in the NFL, he was still playing football. at a position that constantly gets hammered. i think the difference is marginal.

it sucks for fred that he's been underpaid, but i dont think the bills are going to overpay for that reason. and fred will be insulted and want to test the FA waters.

for those of you wishing he is extended, the only hope is that he takes a hometown discount before his contract is up. but i doubt whatever the bills offer him will be in the same neighborhood of what he's looking for. too bad, cuz it was nice while it lasted.

My sense of the Bills contract priorities this offseason:

UFA Stevie Jackson

UFA Demetrius Bell

UFA Rian Lindell

UFA Bryan Scott

Fred Jackson

RFA Kraig Urbik

RFA Chad Rinehart

All of the above is also in the context of the players who will become unrestricted next year.

Now there's no reason they can't multi-task and work on contracts concurrently but that's only one factor.

There's no doubt in my mind that the team has talked with the agents of these players and that rough parameters have been exchanged. In these cases the team has determined who they are close with and who they are far apart with.

There's no doubt in my mind that the team will proceed from their priority list AND ALSO try to strike deals with players that they are close with… aka "low hanging fruit."

Finally, just because the team and player are not presently talking doesn't mean that they are not going to talk.

I think the radio report is probably in that category of items that are not to be taken seriously.

I heard on the radio that the Bills have decided not to extend Jackson. A pretty sorry end to the greatest player story in football.

Buddy Nix has a history of being a straight shooter. He's not the kind of guy who says he'll extend someone, and then doesn't.

This story is crap, IMHO.

My sense of the Bills contract priorities this offseason:

UFA Stevie Jackson

UFA Demetrius Bell

UFA Rian Lindell

UFA Bryan Scott

Fred Jackson

RFA Kraig Urbik

RFA Chad Rinehart

All of the above is also in the context of the players who will become unrestricted next year.

Now there's no reason they can't multi-task and work on contracts concurrently but that's only one factor.

There's no doubt in my mind that the team has talked with the agents of these players and that rough parameters have been exchanged. In these cases the team has determined who they are close with and who they are far apart with.

There's no doubt in my mind that the team will proceed from their priority list AND ALSO try to strike deals with players that they are close with… aka "low hanging fruit."

Finally, just because the team and player are not presently talking doesn't mean that they are not going to talk.

I think the radio report is probably in that category of items that are not to be taken seriously.

No mention of Scott Chandler, Bob? I'm guessing that was just an oversight on your part? I think (and hope) that he's fairly high on their list.

Buddy Nix has a history of being a straight shooter. He's not the kind of guy who says he'll extend someone, and then doesn't.

This story is crap, IMHO.

^^^^^

This.

I think this speculation is much ado about nothing. Freddie has said he trusts Buddy and Buddy is on record as saying they'd take care of FJ and it WOULD get done. I don't think he'd talk in absolutes like that and then end up with a PR nightmare and egg on his face by reneging. He's a straight shooter and I believe him on this. FJ WILL be rewarded...by the Bills.

I guess Buddy Nix, the guy who says exactly what he means lied when he said he was going to extend Fred before the season.

things change... he went to IR and our 1st round pick showed promise... buddy has all the bargaining power.. this is a business.. do players keep their word? they get a big contract and suck it up and give $ back cuz they didnt do well?

r u that naive?