Obama rainmakers enjoy White House invites, appointments and contracts

Center for Public Integrity story

As President Barack Obama ramps up his campaign for a second term, many of his top fundraisers are showing how money helps win influence and access to power in Washington.

Dozens of Obama’s elite donors — many of them wealthy business figures — have been appointed to advisory panels and commissions that can play a role in setting government policy. Others have been invited to a range of exclusive White House briefings, holiday parties and splashy social events.

And some have snagged lucrative government contracts that benefit their business interests or investment portfolios, a Center for Public Integrity investigation has found.

Huh. I thought he said his administration would be different. <_<

Edited by UConn James

Obama’s new OMB Director worked for a little company you might have heard of,

Bain & Company.

Jeffrey Zients will serve as President Obama’s new acting director of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), but the president’s decision might undercut attacks on Republican Mitt Romney’s career as a venture capitalist, because Zients and Romney are both alumni of Bain & Company.

The White House emphasized Zients’ “twenty years as a CEO, management consultant, and entrepreneur” when announcing his promotion, but did not mention that Zients’ used to work with Bain & Company.

Just goes to show you how incestuous Washington, DC is.

I'd take that more as evidence of the blatant opportunism thats commonplace in the district, and the gullibility of the American people.

Appointing a former Bain exec should receive about as much press as Romney's role and record with Bain, and that is none (unless the topic is the record of success). Neither Romney or the Obama Admin should have to defend Bain's right to exist, as VC/PE should have never been maligned in the first place. Any attempt to whip the chuds into a frenzy simply cannot be passed up.

Why the Repubs initiated an attack on the financial sector is completely baffling. Kind of like steering the ship into an iceberg in hopes that the crew will lose confidence in the Captain.

Center for Public Integrity story

Huh. I thought he said his administration would be different. <_<

Nobody who follows politics, or really pays attention believes that. The Federal Government, IMO, no longer represents the will and wishs of the electorate. In the age of Super PAC's and Billions Dollar re-elections campaigns, I can say I feel less and less represented as a Middle Class guy by this government.

The crafters of our founding documents understood this notion of too much central power very well... it was their very specific wish to avoid what we are seeing transpire today.... but, like all great nations and powers, this top heavy crony machine eventually topples under its own weight.

Heck, its a runaway train- Our government does not even ask the people in which is serves/answers to, to finance it anymore... they just borrow and do whatever they feel like doing... I find that very fact fascinating

Obama's new OMB Director worked for a little company you might have heard of,

Bain & Company.

Except that Bain & Co and Bain Capital are two totally separate, different, unique companies that happen to share a name. Yes, Bain Capital (private equity firm) grew out of Bain & Co (management consultant), but the businesses are completely different.

Of course I don't expect the electorate to understand the difference and this connection will surely be played up. Kind of like this thread ...

Except that Bain & Co and Bain Capital are two totally separate, different, unique companies that happen to share a name. Yes, Bain Capital (private equity firm) grew out of Bain & Co (management consultant), but the businesses are completely different.

Of course I don't expect the electorate to understand the difference and this connection will surely be played up. Kind of like this thread ...

"Totally separate"?

Meeehh. Sure, they live in different houses... but they're very close cousins.

Okay..........how does this fact help the democrat's plan to demagogue Mitt ?

The Hill

[

Bain gives more campaign money to Democrats than it does to Republicans

By Alexander Bolton - 01/19/12

Democrats have accepted more political donations than Republicans from executives at Bain Capital, complicating the left’s plan to attack Mitt Romney for his record at the private equity firm.

During the last three election cycles, Bain employees have given Democratic candidates and party committees more than $1.2 million. The vast majority of that sum came from senior executives.

Republican candidates and party committees raised over $480,000 from senior Bain executives during that time period.

Recipients include Democratic senators facing tough reelection races this year, such as Jon Tester (Mont.), Claire McCaskill (Mo.), Sherrod Brown (Ohio) and Bill Nelson (Fla.).

The Hill reviewed contributions made from the 2008, 2010 and 2012 cycles.

Romney has collected more money from Bain Capital employees than any federal candidate since the beginning of 2007, amassing more than $166,000 in contributions. He took more than $84,000 from Bain employees in the first three quarters of 2011.

But President Obama received a sizable share as well. He has accepted more than $80,000 from Bain employees since the beginning of 2007. Bain Capital employees gave $27,500 to Obama during the first three quarters of 2011.

Edited by B-Man

"Totally separate"?

Meeehh. Sure, they live in different houses... but they're very close cousins.

Yes, totally separate, but share a name from being founded by Bain & Co. Bain & Co probably has a minority interest in some Bain Capital funds, but the main operations of the two companies are completely different. It's like saying that Chevrolet & DirecTV were the same thing because both were owned by GM.

Bain Capital

Bain & Co

Yes, totally separate, but share a name from being founded by Bain & Co. Bain & Co probably has a minority interest in some Bain Capital funds, but the main operations of the two companies are completely different. It's like saying that Chevrolet & DirecTV were the same thing because both were owned by GM.

Bain Capital

Bain & Co

They are just as connected as Bain Capital is to Georgetown Steel.

Edited by Magox

Okay..........how does this fact help the democrat's plan to demagogue Mitt ?

The Hill

A completely separate issue, and yes a bit hypocritical (surprise?)

I was merely pointing out that it's nonsensical to say that Bain & Co and Bain Capital are the same company.