Put everything into the offense

Toshiero

This game has completely changed. Sure draft some upgrades on D, but honestly put every resource into WR and the OL ( and for God's sake draft a fing QB to groom). Look the top seeds in the playoffs were 31st and 32nd in Defense. The #2 Defense just got booted.

Just put it all in offense as that is the way the NFL goes and hey at least when we suck we will at least be somewhat exciting.

The texans lost because of 3 ints and a fumble recovered by baltimore on the 2 yard line which resulted in 7 points. If you recall watching the game didn't the 2nd ranked D make one hell of a goaline stop that resulted in 0 points for the ravens as well as 7 three and outs for the ravens offense? If the Texans had shaub for that game they could have won. Due to one of the ints the ravens started already in field goal range and when Ed reed made an int at the end, the texans stopped them in another three and out to give yates back the ball with about 50secs to go.

In the saints game the 49ers D stopped pierre thomas on the two yard line and got a turnover. On the ensuing 49ers drive they got a TD pass to vernon davis, thats a 7 point swing for the 49ers. If the Saints scored a TD on that opening drive and didn't give up the ensuing TD to the 49ers that could have decided the game. 49ers also had two INT's vs brees which doesn't come easy.

I know Tim Tebow sucks but did you see how successful their D was against the broncos? only 10 points let up. The broncos D also got an INT off a brady mistake that resulted in their offenses' only TD and 7 of their 10 points.

Last years superbowl the packers' pick six shifted the momentum of the game. I believe they had two ints and a fumble recovery that resulted in points for the packers every time.

Defense wins championships. Sure the NFL is more oriented on high scoring offenses but if thats so, Stops on defense are still as crucial as they have ever been. Defenses may not make as many stops but if each team is going to put up points frequently, those stops and turnovers your defense can make can still decide a game as they always have

We dont need to put every resource towards Offense, just a different type of resource.

Keep drafting D, but add to the O in FA. Need to re-sign Stevie, Chandler, and Bell, and get another big WR in FA as well (Jackson, Colston, or Meachem).

Spend the first 4 picks on D again, and get another OL in the 4th that can contribute like Hairston did.

Offense is definitely the name of the game in today's NFL. As much as I've defended Fitz, this offense, no matter how much you add to it, will never be at the level of GB, NE, or NO b/c Fitz can't reach that level. That doesn't we need a HOF QB in order to win...insead, we're going to make up the gap between Fitz and Brady somehwere else: defense and special teams. Continue to add pieces to the offense for sure, but the only way the Bills will move forward is by having a well-balanced TEAM.

After watching the playoffs thusfar, it has again struck me how far away Buffalo is in many ways from being a good team.

You look at the good teams - Green Bay, San Fran, Giants, Saints, Ravens, Patriots, etc. I'd say each of them have a better defense than we do, except maybe the Pats, and most by a long shot. I mean, on defense, except Williams and Dareus, we've got really no EXCITING players, guys who can take over a game at a certain position. Teams like San Fran, Giants, Green Bay have PLAYERS on Defense. Then look at their opposing units, whichever one doesn't get as much recognition, or the side that is supposed to be weaker, and San Fran, for instance, has Crabtree, Davis, a Stud filled O-line, and Gore, not to mention a #1 QB!

What bothers me isn't how far away from being a really dominant team we are, but rather that our organization doesn't appear to have that out-for-blood mentality to put together a team so talented that they can be really great. Our organization seems TOO CONTENT to have MEDIOCRE guys on the roster where these teams are filled more with pro-bowl talent than they are with mediocre talent!

We could turn it around - with the right coaching and drafting. Look at Houston last year. They went out and got some guys to pressure the QB, and now their Defense can go after a team. We've got to have that kind of mentality, where we don't just settle for better-than-off-the-street. We've got to go get REAL TALENT. And we've got to get a promising QB.

I lost my train of thought there - I meant to say, the good teams have very good players on both sides of the ball.

Well bottom line the entire front office needs to go including Ralph, but that is moot point till he passes. That said Address OT and WR Bigtime. Next we MUST RUSH THE PASSER. We have the Secondary, but it doesn't mean crap unless you can put pressure on the QB.

Run Defense? If we can score points they will be forced to throw, if we have a great pass rush....

And yet the Bills DID beat the Pats this year and were 2 bad INTs away from beating the Giants IN New York (if just one of those picks hadn't been thrown).

Where I think the Bills need the most help is in the depth department. The team that beat New England back in Week 3 was probably a playoff team. The team that ended the season with so many injured players was far from it.

After watching the playoffs thusfar, it has again struck me how far away Buffalo is in many ways from being a good team.

You look at the good teams - Green Bay, San Fran, Giants, Saints, Ravens, Patriots, etc. I'd say each of them have a better defense than we do, except maybe the Pats, and most by a long shot. I mean, on defense, except Williams and Dareus, we've got really no EXCITING players, guys who can take over a game at a certain position. Teams like San Fran, Giants, Green Bay have PLAYERS on Defense. Then look at their opposing units, whichever one doesn't get as much recognition, or the side that is supposed to be weaker, and San Fran, for instance, has Crabtree, Davis, a Stud filled O-line, and Gore, not to mention a #1 QB!

What bothers me isn't how far away from being a really dominant team we are, but rather that our organization doesn't appear to have that out-for-blood mentality to put together a team so talented that they can be really great. Our organization seems TOO CONTENT to have MEDIOCRE guys on the roster where these teams are filled more with pro-bowl talent than they are with mediocre talent!

We could turn it around - with the right coaching and drafting. Look at Houston last year. They went out and got some guys to pressure the QB, and now their Defense can go after a team. We've got to have that kind of mentality, where we don't just settle for better-than-off-the-street. We've got to go get REAL TALENT. And we've got to get a promising QB.

I lost my train of thought there - I meant to say, the good teams have very good players on both sides of the ball.

You look at the good teams - Green Bay, San Fran, Giants, Saints, Ravens, Patriots, etc. I'd say each of them have a better defense than we do, except maybe the Pats, and most by a long shot.

Hmm...

The Ravens and 49ers are definitely up there. They are ranked 3rd and 5th, respectively.

But the Giants, Pats, and Packers all finished behind us (27, 31, and 32). The Saints came in just a few spots ahead of us.

When you look at where our Offense, and Offensive players were ranked through the first half of the season, we aren't that far away.

If you compare our healthy roster to those teams, we stack right up, and are still building. But we do need to add more "Top Tier" talent. That will also help us create depth. I honestly feel that if Nix/Whaley would get a little aggressive this off-season, that we can easily take the division next year. Gotta make the right moves though.

G-Men defense beat the snot out of the "unstoppable" Pack offense today.

The obit notice of " Defense in today's NFL" is premature.

We need to add a stud WR on offense, but we need to massively upgrade our Defense to be competitive.

Edited by Jon in Pasadena

Well bottom line the entire front office needs to go including Ralph, but that is moot point till he passes. That said Address OT and WR Bigtime. Next we MUST RUSH THE PASSER. We have the Secondary, but it doesn't mean crap unless you can put pressure on the QB.

Run Defense? If we can score points they will be forced to throw, if we have a great pass rush....

So that's the base for this post? So you can get in your "front office must go" idea in? Just say that then so the Mods can bury your message on one of the other "front office must go" posts. Don't come up with the stupid idea of "we" needing to draft offense when clearly DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS! If you watched this weekends games you would have realized that!

We have serious needs on offense, at OT and WR. We have serious needs on defense, OLB, DE, and possibly CB. I can't see saying one area is in more need than the other. In any event it calls for a very wise draft and aggressive moves in free agency.

Let me get this straight: the Bills have serious needs? Surely, you jest:)

The Bills have to build from the foundation first. The first level of the foundation is the owner. Nothing can be done about that right now. The second level is the management staff the owner hires. Nothing is being done about that right now either. The third level is the coaching staff. Based on the Bills performance over the last dozen years, it is safe to assume that there are cracks in the foundation.

The next level is the players. The primary foundation from the playing level is the offensive line and the defensive line. If the lines are top notch the other pieces tend to fall in place. On offense the QB, RB's and WR's all seem to improve dramatically behind a quality OL. When the defensive line improves, the LB's and DB's get remarkably better.

The NY Giants, Baltimore Ravens, Houston Texans, and San Fran 49er's all showed this year what a defense with a pass rush can accomplish.

I would recommend building a defense that can pressure the passer. The Bills have not had a serious pass rushing DE in many years. Start there and then strengthen the OLB's. I would then strengthen the offensive line.

I would definitely stop drafting RB's,WR's and safeties in the first two rounds until the lines are strengthened. This should have been done a long time ago. They did right by drafting Dareus last year. Now they need to do it again this year.

The NFL changes every year. No one formula consistently works or all teams would look like that which did. They need a whole team. The trenches, the playmakers and the role players.

I say you plug the biggest hole in the boat, which is stopping the run and slowing down Gronkowski. With all due respect to the great Nick Barnett, this team needs professional Linebackers. If you think the next Jumbo Elliott or Jerry Rice is available, you take him. But they better have a plan B to stock that D with some 250 lb playmakers.

This game has completely changed. Sure draft some upgrades on D, but honestly put every resource into WR and the OL ( and for God's sake draft a fing QB to groom). Look the top seeds in the playoffs were 31st and 32nd in Defense. The #2 Defense just got booted.

Just put it all in offense as that is the way the NFL goes and hey at least when we suck we will at least be somewhat exciting.

Houston getting "booted" by the Ravens is hardly offense taking over. This past weekend has shown that hard-hitting physical defense and hard running offenses are still the way to go. The Pats were the only pass happy team to make it and that was beating a 8-8 a Broncos team that was physically outmatched by the pats D who brutalized Tebow and their running game all day showing that physical D is vital for winning in the post season.

did you watch any playoff games? Defense wins. FACT. The superhuman Saints offense ALMOST did it, but.. they didn't.

Having said all that, a teams needs balance for sure, but defense has proved to be more important.

Edited by markgbe

News Flash, the only dominant offense left is NE, all the rest have bit the dust!!! lol!!!

WOW!!!

True we need a dynamic playmaker, but we need pass rush more. Look at the play when Rogers was stripped, the Giants corner was burned badly, but no one cares because the pressure on the QB never allowed the throw to happen.

Get pass rushers!

Go Bills!!!

Yes, the Bills need a "pass rush."

The Giants can win anywhere, anytime--largely because of their "pass rush."

Their "pass rush" comes from their mauling front four.

Now, take one guy out of that front four, put him on The Bills and tell me what he difference he makes to our "pass rush."

"Pass rush" is a team/scheme effort.

Unless you have a once-in-a-lifetime player like Bruce Smith, there isn't a one-stop-shop for "pass rush."

It'd be nice if Bills fans understood this.

We need to add a stud WR on offense, but we need to massively upgrade our Defense to be competitive.

Defense is important.

I think, though, that statistically speaking an amazing offense and suspect defense is going to win you more games than an amazing defense and suspect offense.

Everyone says "balance, balance, balance." True! But at some point though, at least in the short term, you have to put your eggs in a basket (in terms of draft selections) and prioritize your growth goals.

I say "offense" with "defense" sprinkled in as an accent point for right now.

The Giants and Niners got the better of their opponents due to defense more than offense.

Balance, people. Address our most glaring need first. That need is pass rush.

Then it's O line, a distant second. Then WR. We still have a young QB who is learning. A QB would be a luxury pick, and a wasted one, IMO, with so many needs.

And I have to disagree that the game has completely changed. It does rely more on the pass, and that's great--passes are more exciting. But good teams still have to out-physical their opponents. Great teams harass QBs.

We dont need to put every resource towards Offense, just a different type of resource.

Keep drafting D, but add to the O in FA. Need to re-sign Stevie, Chandler, and Bell, and get another big WR in FA as well (Jackson, Colston, or Meachem).

Spend the first 4 picks on D again, and get another OL in the 4th that can contribute like Hairston did.

I agree 100% with this comment.. Ditto! keep doing this and in 2 years we will be a force.

Offense is definitely the name of the game in today's NFL. As much as I've defended Fitz, this offense, no matter how much you add to it, will never be at the level of GB, NE, or NO b/c Fitz can't reach that level. That doesn't we need a HOF QB in order to win...insead, we're going to make up the gap between Fitz and Brady somehwere else: defense and special teams. Continue to add pieces to the offense for sure, but the only way the Bills will move forward is by having a well-balanced TEAM.

What I respectfully disagree with about your line of thinking and many others is that it seems as though you guys act like HOF Tom Brady popped out of a hole in the ground one day. He was DEVELOPED by a genius Coach and great overall coaching staff. Everyone talks like Rodgers is the 2nd coming. He looked ordinary at best yesterday.

Yes, I concede that Tom Brady is now a HOF caliber QB, but there are only a few QB's in history that were going to be in the HOF no question starting day 1. Peyton comes to mind. But to act as if Fitz is some sort of liability and has no shot to improve is ignorant thinking.

I guarantee you if our front office and coaching staffs come together and really get their act right and put a deep roster on the field, Fitz will look like a (gulp) Pro Bowler. We all act like everyone in the league has the capacity to improve except our own players. It's frustrating, but understandable given how messed up of a franchise we have been the last 12 years.

HOF QB's arent in the draft to just pick up and say, "Oh well now we have the HOF QB question taken care of, lets move on." No, they are developed and put in the right place at the right time with the right coaching staff and players around them.

Look for Fitz to have another improved year next year. A solid offseason and it may be a great year.

This past weekend proved this false. 3 of the 4 teams still playing are there because their defense put them there. You need both offense and defense. :wallbash:

What I respectfully disagree with about your line of thinking and many others is that it seems as though you guys act like HOF Tom Brady popped out of a hole in the ground one day. He was DEVELOPED by a genius Coach and great overall coaching staff. Everyone talks like Rodgers is the 2nd coming. He looked ordinary at best yesterday.

Yes, I concede that Tom Brady is now a HOF caliber QB, but there are only a few QB's in history that were going to be in the HOF no question starting day 1. Peyton comes to mind. But to act as if Fitz is some sort of liability and has no shot to improve is ignorant thinking.

I guarantee you if our front office and coaching staffs come together and really get their act right and put a deep roster on the field, Fitz will look like a (gulp) Pro Bowler. We all act like everyone in the league has the capacity to improve except our own players. It's frustrating, but understandable given how messed up of a franchise we have been the last 12 years.

HOF QB's arent in the draft to just pick up and say, "Oh well now we have the HOF QB question taken care of, lets move on." No, they are developed and put in the right place at the right time with the right coaching staff and players around them.

Look for Fitz to have another improved year next year. A solid offseason and it may be a great year.

I'm sorry, sir. But you're making entirely too much sense.

I agree Jon. We need two studs on Offense preferably at WR and TE. The Saints have Graham, Colston, Meacham, Henderson, Sproles, Thomas and Lance Moore when healthy for Brees to throw to. Stevie Johnson (who a whole lot of you think is unbelievable) is nowhere near the threat that Colston and Graham are. And he doesn't have the speed that Henderson, Meacham or Moore have. He is just not big and physical. The 49ers have Vernon Davis, and the Pats have Gronkowski and Hernandez. We have nooone at WR or TE who creates matchup problems for the defense. That has to change for us to compete. But that is nothing compared to how weak our defense is compared to most other teams.

We need physicality!! Justin Smith is a beast for the niners-simple as that. A lot of you get caught up in where defenses are ranked. For the Pats, Packers, Saints it really doesn't matter. They outscore just about everyone they play. And regardless of where they are ranked, their defenses have a whole lot more playmakers than the Bills. This team needs an infusion of meanness and talent at so many positions, before we can even begin to think about the playoffs. And that comes down to the organization caring about winning. Bottom line. Other than at RB and Center (and possibly guard) this team needs upgrades in talent at EVERY other position on the roster. Including QB.

I'm sorry, sir. But you're making entirely too much sense.

Haha. There's alot of people on this board that would not agree with that. This is really the one topic that burns me up more than anything. Say Tom Brady is drafted by the Buffalo Bills in 00' or whenever he was. The Bills at that time were unknowingly about to plunge into over a decade of futility. Tom Brady would not be in the league most likely if that scenario had played out. The Bills would have destroyed him like Trent, J.P. Rob Johnson, etc.

Are there times when a player just isn't very good? Yes! But a player put into the wrong situation will look like garbage. I feel like our front office and coaches could have almost f***** up Peyton Manning we were that bad.

I believe we are finally, finally on the right track as a franchise. It's painful to wait but I think we've turned a corner for real this time. But who's to say that Ryan Fitz can't lead this Bills offense to the top of the league. And people need to stop with this weak arm nonsense. Ok he's not John Elway or Favre but the guy can make every necessary throw to play in the NFL. His deep ball needs work but I feel that comes with timing and confidence with his receivers.

I'll say this now and I'll say it again. Front office and coaches are more important than players. Bellichek could make anyone look good - he's that great of a coach (albeit and absolute d*ck sore loser baby)

Great coaches create great players and then those players return the favor by developing mentally and physically into stars, making the coach look great.

But people, it starts with the coach. Chan is pretty darn good, at least offensively. With some more pieces, Ryan Fitzpatrick could be the next household name.

I agree Jon. We need two studs on Offense preferably at WR and TE. The Saints have Graham, Colston, Meacham, Henderson, Sproles, Thomas and Lance Moore when healthy for Brees to throw to. Stevie Johnson (who a whole lot of you think is unbelievable) is nowhere near the threat that Colston and Graham are. And he doesn't have the speed that Henderson, Meacham or Moore have. He is just not big and physical. The 49ers have Vernon Davis, and the Pats have Gronkowski and Hernandez. We have nooone at WR or TE who creates matchup problems for the defense. That has to change for us to compete. But that is nothing compared to how weak our defense is compared to most other teams.

We need physicality!! Justin Smith is a beast for the niners-simple as that. A lot of you get caught up in where defenses are ranked. For the Pats, Packers, Saints it really doesn't matter. They outscore just about everyone they play. And regardless of where they are ranked, their defenses have a whole lot more playmakers than the Bills. This team needs an infusion of meanness and talent at so many positions, before we can even begin to think about the playoffs. And that comes down to the organization caring about winning. Bottom line. Other than at RB and Center (and possibly guard) this team needs upgrades in talent at EVERY other position on the roster. Including QB.

I disagree that the playoffs are a long ways off.

I do agree that we're not a powerhouse team like that Pats* or the Saints.

There must be something in between.

And that's where we are.

The argument then becomes--what do we need to be, at the least, an annual playoff contender?

I don't think we need that many pieces to complete that equation.

I think we have enough talent and manpower in our front four that--given the right scheme--can generate issues for a quaterback, thus creating turnovers like they did early in 2011.

I have argued VEHEMENTLY on this site that it's talent and not coaching that makes the difference.

But I truly believe that when it comes to our "pass rush," that the opposite is true.

With the talent we have now, the pass rush we delivered underperformed, abysmally.

With a few more guys and a change in philosophy, this defense can be good enough to get us to the playoffs given the weapons we DO have on offense.