Rick Reilly on Tebow

stevestojan

Yeah, I posted that on one of the Tebow threads, but I think it's worth it's own thread. Reilly seems to usually be pretty anti-religion (see Jimmer/BYU/Mormons). If he can write this article, you know Tebow is the real deal.

I've said all along that Tebow seems like a genuinely good kid who you would want to make the face of your franchise. I just don't know if he can play QB effectively. But he should be made the starter going into the off-season and all next season, and then we'll know more.

I agree with Texas Hots about Reilly. Ever since he disregarded the 90s Bills as one of the most overrated teams in history, I can't let it go...especially given our record against the much stronger NFC back then. Anyway....

I often talk about how I love living in SEC country. That being the case, I've seen a lot of Tebow. Oddly enough I never really developed a positive or negative view of the guy. But honestly, reading that article and thinking about what it means for a professional athlete to DO that sort of thing, it's really pretty great. Selflessness is becoming a thing of the past, so when someone exhibits it loud and clear it's a beautiful thing.

Kudos to Tebow!

I generally can't stand athletes who bring religion into the game, sarcastically saying "Would you be mad at God if you lost?" But it truly seems like Tebow is just a good person all around.

Funny thing is, I have never heard Tebow utter a word about God or Jesus Christ, unless it was in the context of a story about his faith. I know he genuflects and crosses himself, but loads of players, in all sports do that.

I am not a religious person, but I am also not an anti-relgion person. It really doesn't bother me, at all, if someone has a faith that I don't have. I realize, the "Tebow-mania" thing is a bit over the top, but, I also think the scrutiny that this kid has faced this season has been really disproportionate. As I said in another thread (sorry if I am repeating myself) why is it that Caleb Hainey or Tyler Palko can suck in relative peace, but Tebow is disected ad-nauseum...he doesn't throw the perfect pass, "he will never be and adequate NFL QB", "the Bronocs MUST cut him now"...blah, blah, blah...it really seems like this is all a reaction to his faith.

Other QB's have sucked...none have had their suckiness disected like Tebow, as a national past-time. Is it all because of his religion? I like Bill Maher (not a Maher thread), but I found his "twittercism" of Tebow, after the Bills beat the Broncos (I was there!) insane. You can't pretend to be a reasonable, open minded person, and then turn around and knock somebody for their religion. I found it very odd that Kurt Warner, who by my recollection was much more verbal about his faith, advise Tebow to "tone it down". Why? If that is who he is, that is who he is. It goes way beyond football. Why the fug does Charles Barkley find the need to chime in?

I am generally a Broncos fan, though I started hated them after Shannahan left...but, I got no problem rooting for Tebow....especially this week!

A great article. I typically dislike anything from that pompous prick but that was a great piece. Re ow might not be a great qb but he is a great dude. Best of luck to him and I hope he destroys the pats. Go bills...go donkeys

Dude wrote an article talking crap about Al Davis like 2 days after his death. Cuz you know he's classy like that.

I generally can't stand athletes who bring religion into the game, sarcastically saying "Would you be mad at God if you lost?" But it truly seems like Tebow is just a good person all around.

I hate that too, but only because it is disingenuous. If you struggle with doing what's right and wrong like most people, pretending that you are holier than thou on national TV is very off-putting. What exemplifies that more than the suggestion that God favored you over another. It's absurd and annoying.

That said, I don't understand why anyone ever thought Tim Tebow was disingenuous.

The guy was raised by parents who dedicated their lives to helping others. Traveling to places most of us would hope never to be to help people who are weak and sick and could make them sick. He was also homeschooled so his parents values weren't being contradicted on a daily basis by peer pressure. He's a product of his environment and he's not asking you for money so it's reasonable to have an open mind.

I grew up having to volunteer and help people in need as many here I am sure have and it is rewarding and gives you real perspective. It has to be ten-fold for Tebow because he is immersed in it. The process isn't always a big sham or people just trying to make themselves look good for some kind of financial gain. Some people enjoy helping others.

Edited by Dick Drawn

Funny thing is, I have never heard Tebow utter a word about God or Jesus Christ, unless it was in the context of a story about his faith. I know he genuflects and crosses himself, but loads of players, in all sports do that.

I am not a religious person, but I am also not an anti-relgion person. It really doesn't bother me, at all, if someone has a faith that I don't have. I realize, the "Tebow-mania" thing is a bit over the top, but, I also think the scrutiny that this kid has faced this season has been really disproportionate. As I said in another thread (sorry if I am repeating myself) why is it that Caleb Hainey or Tyler Palko can suck in relative peace, but Tebow is disected ad-nauseum...he doesn't throw the perfect pass, "he will never be and adequate NFL QB", "the Bronocs MUST cut him now"...blah, blah, blah...it really seems like this is all a reaction to his faith.

Other QB's have sucked...none have had their suckiness disected like Tebow, as a national past-time. Is it all because of his religion? I like Bill Maher (not a Maher thread), but I found his "twittercism" of Tebow, after the Bills beat the Broncos (I was there!) insane. You can't pretend to be a reasonable, open minded person, and then turn around and knock somebody for their religion. I found it very odd that Kurt Warner, who by my recollection was much more verbal about his faith, advise Tebow to "tone it down". Why? If that is who he is, that is who he is. It goes way beyond football. Why the fug does Charles Barkley find the need to chime in?

I am generally a Broncos fan, though I started hated them after Shannahan left...but, I got no problem rooting for Tebow....especially this week!

It's not that hard to avoid Tebow-mania. I am not interested in it, so I just turn the channel when they start to talk about it. I watch a ton of sports and I honestly don't hear that much Tebow talk. i watch football for entertainment and I don't particularly find his style that entertaining. From a pure football perspective, he's a poor passer and not a great decision maker. Maybe he turned a corner of some sort last week but I highly doubt it. IMO, if he were on the Bills, with the Bills sieve of a defense, watching him bumble around throwing wobblers while trying to overcome huge deficits every week would be unbearable.

I agree with Texas Hots about Reilly. Ever since he disregarded the 90s Bills as one of the most overrated teams in history, I can't let it go...especially given our record against the much stronger NFC back then. Anyway....

I often talk about how I love living in SEC country. That being the case, I've seen a lot of Tebow. Oddly enough I never really developed a positive or negative view of the guy. But honestly, reading that article and thinking about what it means for a professional athlete to DO that sort of thing, it's really pretty great. Selflessness is becoming a thing of the past, so when someone exhibits it loud and clear it's a beautiful thing.

Kudos to Tebow!

I agree with all this - the Reilly and the Tebow parts. I can't stand most of what Reilly writes, but once or twice a year he writes a gem (see the 2009 article about the Yankees and Camp Sundown kids). In the 80s, I thought he was the best sportswriter on the planet.

I am a Miami Hurricane fan. Typically, we hate the Gators and everything about them. I cannot help but like and respect Tebow. He genuinely seems like a good kid who would run through a wall for you if he were on your team. As someone above said, he has been dissected and, in my view, like very if any others. He has handled the pressure notwithstanding a lot of people waiting to say I told you so.

He obviously has an unorthodox style. Nevertheless, he gives it all he has got and at the end of the day - as the article demonstrates - he is the same guy win, lose, or draw. I cannot help but like and admire him. He may not be the best QB in the league, but he seems to be a very good human being.

[Funny thing is, I have never heard Tebow utter a word about God]

You haven't been listening. You never heard him say, "God bless"?

Dude #1 - Hey Tim; stick it where the sun don't shine. Tebow - "God bless". Dude #2 - Hey Tim; your dog is a tramp. Tebow; "God bless". Dude #3; Hey Tim, your father wears red suspenders. Tebow; "God bless". etc., etc., etc. Makes me feel a little ill. But I do like the guy. But not as a QB.

Any time any athlete goes above and beyond their respective sport to bring joy and hope to someone that is truly struggling makes me feel better. Too many times we here of the me first athletes. This is a refreshing change in that. Too bad more "ordinary" folks don't do something like this.