Marty Schottenheimer

Tim Graham said we could have had him here.

Where did he say that at when he was at ESPN ?? I thought he would have been a great choice plus he use to play for the Bills . I saw a picture of the Bills years ago with Schottenheimers name on a jersey so i emailed Chris Brown and asked if he played for the Bills and he confirmed that he did !!

I don't know what happened but i thought that i read that Marty didn't want a gig at the time that the Bills where looking for a HC . That would have been a great hire for the Bills but Chan & Buddy have us going in the right direction !!

This turned into a big and nasty exchange at the time, all the reporters & bloggers claiming Shotty wanted the job. I emailed back and forth with several reporters in the country that said that Shotty was NOT interested in the Bills job or any job at that time.

He was my first choice and if hired in Tampa will hv them back in playoffs before Bills ever get back there

Proven head coach that has taken three different teams to the playoffs and wanted the buffalo job but bills were not interested...that speaks volumes about the people that run this team

As I recall there were two other impactful blown calls besides the one you mention.

Seattle got the better of the play throughout the game and might have won if not for 3 big calls… all which went against them.

It would be interesting to see the game again to determine how significant those bad calls were. But I would never watch it--probably the most boring Super Bowl of all time.

I guess I am just biased--because that Seattle team wasn't good and I never expected them to win.

We need a new head coach, and Marty would be a very strong candidate. He is a winner, and the beef that he "can't" go far in the playoffs is kind of meaningless to a team that can't break even in the win-loss column.

That being said, I'm not so into the concept of Marty being in as I am to the concept of Chan being out.

I guess we will go another non-winning season with Chan before the Bills higher ups realize this. It took how many years since Jason Peters left before Nix et al noticed that they needed a left tackle?

We need a new head coach, and Marty would be a very strong candidate. He is a winner, and the beef that he "can't" go far in the playoffs is kind of meaningless to a team that can't break even in the win-loss column.

That being said, I'm not so into the concept of Marty being in as I am to the concept of Chan being out.

I guess we will go another non-winning season with Chan before the Bills higher ups realize this. It took how many years since Jason Peters left before Nix et al noticed that they needed a left tackle?

Our record has very little to do with the LT position.

Much like Wade, I don't know why Schottenheimer is interviewing for this Tampa job. The lousy heat. Very young undisciplined team. A GM that is going nowhere as he's signed through 2014. Ownership that doesn't appear to be financially solid, not to mention he's been out of the league for four years and he's pushing 70.

That Seattle team had no business being in the Super Bowl anyway, and the officiating wasn't as materially bad as all the Seahawk fans claimed it to be. I think there was the one blown PI call that took away a Seahawks TD--but the game was still 21-10, and Seattle never really had a prayer at any point.

As to Schottenheimer, I agree--excellent coach. People forget that he was basically Cowher's mentor. I think Cowher was Marty's ST coach in Cleveland.

No, the game really was that bad. Aside from the above mentioned calls, there was another would-be TD called back on a phantom holding call and there was big ben's "vinny Testaverde" TD where the ball never came close to crossing the plane of the goalline and the officials still gave him the TD.

The NFL handed that one to the steelers so bettis could win one in his hometown and then retire.

No, the game really was that bad. Aside from the above mentioned calls, there was another would-be TD called back on a phantom holding call and there was big ben's "vinny Testaverde" TD where the ball never came close to crossing the plane of the goalline and the officials still gave him the TD.

The NFL handed that one to the steelers so bettis could win one in his hometown and then retire.

The game was an embarrassment all around, and if I am not mistaken, the officials (years later, natch) actually apologized to Seattle. Whether it was a full-on fix or not is irrelevant. At best, Pitts was very fortunate to receive several favorable calls at crucial moments.

I like him as a coach (and did even as a player) but as far as I remember he didn't want to be here (there was tons of discussion at the time). He seems to have some sort of personality thing that gets in the way with his employers too, I am sure that's maybe why if he did want come here RW didn't want him. The past is the past though.

Marty is an outstanding coach, just short of being a great coach. He lacks only an innovators edge, like a Bill Walsh or the young Don Shula had. Of course that little he lacks is A LOT because greats are very rare and those guys don't just survive the playoffs, they TAKE championships.

Marty is as good as, if not better than Bill Cowher who practically any team would take. People forget that Cowher had the same problems in the playoffs as Marty did. Unfortunately for Marty he didn't get a break in the playoffs like Cowher did when the Steelers drew an overrated Denver team in the AFC Championship and a relative patsy in Seattle in the SB.

Could not agree more. Don't forget the Palmer injury too. The reason that game was in Cincy was because they went into Pittsburgh towards the end of the reg. season and threw the ball all over the field. Then in the playoff game he completes a 60 yard bomb on the first play of the game when he got his knee ripped up.

That Seattle team had no business being in the Super Bowl anyway, and the officiating wasn't as materially bad as all the Seahawk fans claimed it to be. I think there was the one blown PI call that took away a Seahawks TD--but the game was still 21-10, and Seattle never really had a prayer at any point.

There was also a phantom hold which took away a 1st&goal at the 1 which preceded an int that otherwise never would have happened. Hard to argue it is the most 1sided butchered big game in modern history, and not just in the pacific northwest.

This turned into a big and nasty exchange at the time, all the reporters & bloggers claiming Shotty wanted the job. I emailed back and forth with several reporters in the country that said that Shotty was NOT interested in the Bills job or any job at that time.

Mr. Graham seems to (unwittingly) stir up sh*t storms on tbd all the time. Just saying. lol

Edited by mob16151

Even at 73 Marty would be be a HUGE upgrade from Chan. Ralph just won't have it though. If it was a possibility, I would definitely be on board.