Marty Schottenheimer

I hope Marty gets the Tampa Job because I always liked his style of play and his winning record. He has had some real tough and incredibly unlucky losses in the playoffs but he is still a great coach. Really wished that he was hired here, I don't dislike Chan I just like Marty better.

"What may intrigue the Bucs is Schottenheimer’s record. With a career mark of 200-126-1 in 21 seasons with four teams, he has just 22 fewer NFL victories than the 35-year-old Bucs franchise.

Schottenheimer’s most recent NFL gig, however, was in 2006, when he led the San Diego Chargers to a 14-2 mark. He was fired in February 2007 after losing to the Patriots [team stats] in the second round of the playoffs."

http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/football/other_nfl/view/20120110bucs_to_interview_marty_schottenheimer_today/srvc=home&position=recent

I hope Marty gets the Tampa Job because I always liked his style of play and his winning record. He has had some real tough and incredibly unlucky losses in the playoffs but he is still a great coach. Really wished that he was hired here, I don't dislike Chan I just like Marty better.

"What may intrigue the Bucs is Schottenheimer’s record. With a career mark of 200-126-1 in 21 seasons with four teams, he has just 22 fewer NFL victories than the 35-year-old Bucs franchise.

Schottenheimer’s most recent NFL gig, however, was in 2006, when he led the San Diego Chargers to a 14-2 mark. He was fired in February 2007 after losing to the Patriots [team stats] in the second round of the playoffs."

http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/football/other_nfl/view/20120110bucs_to_interview_marty_schottenheimer_today/srvc=home&position=recent

Marty is an outstanding coach, just short of being a great coach. He lacks only an innovators edge, like a Bill Walsh or the young Don Shula had. Of course that little he lacks is A LOT because greats are very rare and those guys don't just survive the playoffs, they TAKE championships.

Marty is as good as, if not better than Bill Cowher who practically any team would take. People forget that Cowher had the same problems in the playoffs as Marty did. Unfortunately for Marty he didn't get a break in the playoffs like Cowher did when the Steelers drew an overrated Denver team in the AFC Championship and a relative patsy in Seattle in the SB.

But now Marty is as old as dirt and that will be held against him, whether it is fair or not.

Edited by Dick Drawn

Marty is an outstanding coach, just short of being a great coach. He lacks only an innovators edge, like a Bill Walsh or the young Don Shula had. Of course that little he lacks is A LOT because greats are very rare and those guys don't just survive the playoffs, they TAKE championships.

Marty is as good as, if not better than Bill Cowher who practically any team would take. People forget that Cowher had the same problems in the playoffs as Marty did. Unfortunately for Marty he didn't get a break in the playoffs like Cowher did when the Steelers drew an overrated Denver team in the AFC Championship and a relative patsy in Seattle in the SB.

But now Marty is as old as dirt and that will be held against him, whether it is fair or not.

Not to mention that the officiating crew called one of the most one-sided, unfair games ever seen in an NFL contest. That game was a travesty and Pittsburgh didn't deserve to win it. The game was handed to them.

I agree that Marty is an excellent coach… better than some who've won Super Bowls.

Not to mention that the officiating crew called one of the most one-sided, unfair games ever seen in an NFL contest. That game was a travesty and Pittsburgh didn't deserve to win it. The game was handed to them.

I agree that Marty is an excellent coach… better than some who've won Super Bowls.

Talking to you Brian Billick lol

It was a terribly officiated game. It was as if the officials couldn't bear seeing a Seattle team with no enduring characters/HOF'ers win a SB over the Steelers organization. Seattle had a good team, but it was a transition year in the NFL. Last years Steelers would have killed that Steelers team that beat Seattle......and they were thrashed by GB. For guys like Cowher and Marty, that is a window.

It was a terribly officiated game. It was as if the officials couldn't bear seeing a Seattle team with no enduring characters/HOF'ers win a SB over the Steelers organization. Seattle had a good team, but it was a transition year in the NFL. Last years Steelers would have killed that Steelers team that beat Seattle......and they were thrashed by GB. For guys like Cowher and Marty, that is a window.

As the kids would say, QFT.

that game wasn't fixed :flirt:

As the kids would say, QFT.

not down with the kid lingo, so what do the kids say?

:thumbsup: I have always like Marty as well. He got a raw deal in San Diego and they've gone downhill since. I was hoping he would be our next coach a few years ago. Two things you know about Marty's teams 1)They will run the football and 2)The defense will be well coached.

:thumbsup: I have always like Marty as well. He got a raw deal in San Diego and they've gone downhill since. I was hoping he would be our next coach a few years ago. Two things you know about Marty's teams 1)They will run the football and 2)The defense will be well coached.

He is a big personality and has burned a lot of bridges somehow. His teams made the playoffs, but failed to make adjustments against the better teams in order to take him to the Super Bowl.

I wouldn't want him in Buffalo because he would have had another job by now, and too many teams have passed him up.

That Seattle team had no business being in the Super Bowl anyway, and the officiating wasn't as materially bad as all the Seahawk fans claimed it to be. I think there was the one blown PI call that took away a Seahawks TD--but the game was still 21-10, and Seattle never really had a prayer at any point.

As to Schottenheimer, I agree--excellent coach. People forget that he was basically Cowher's mentor. I think Cowher was Marty's ST coach in Cleveland.

He was my first choice and if hired in Tampa will hv them back in playoffs before Bills ever get back there

Proven head coach that has taken three different teams to the playoffs and wanted the buffalo job but bills were not interested...that speaks volumes about the people that run this team

That Seattle team had no business being in the Super Bowl anyway, and the officiating wasn't as materially bad as all the Seahawk fans claimed it to be. I think there was the one blown PI call that took away a Seahawks TD--but the game was still 21-10, and Seattle never really had a prayer at any point.

As to Schottenheimer, I agree--excellent coach. People forget that he was basically Cowher's mentor. I think Cowher was Marty's ST coach in Cleveland.

As I recall there were two other impactful blown calls besides the one you mention.

Seattle got the better of the play throughout the game and might have won if not for 3 big calls… all which went against them.

He was my first choice and if hired in Tampa will hv them back in playoffs before Bills ever get back there

Proven head coach that has taken three different teams to the playoffs and wanted the buffalo job but bills were not interested...that speaks volumes about the people that run this team

There was so much fan talk here when the next head coach was being chosen, so much speculation over what happened with Marty.The fact is he was in conversations with Buddy Nix and he let it be known he was interest in the Bills HCing job. It was Ralph Wilson who shot it down stating he didn't feel "comfortable" in hiring Marty.

Perhaps it is because Marty would probably hire his two sons to help run the team, or perhaps it was because Marty was an ex Buffalo Bills player, or perhaps Wilson actually thinks Gailey is going to not only get this team to the playoffs, but win games.

From my view as just a fan I can say that Gailey has made so many different mistakes at so many levels that I find it difficult to believe he will lead any Bills team to the playoffs, even if given 10 years. Wrong personnel decisions with both assistants and players. Bad play calling to the effect that at least 3 games could have been won if not for the constant aerial attack which wasn't working so well, and abandoning the running attack which was working. Gaileys contrived short passing game has been figured out and I can't imagine going into next season with the same plan, but I bet he will.

There was so much fan talk here when the next head coach was being chosen, so much speculation over what happened with Marty.The fact is he was in conversations with Buddy Nix and he let it be known he was interest in the Bills HCing job. It was Ralph Wilson who shot it down stating he didn't feel "comfortable" in hiring Marty.

Perhaps it is because Marty would probably hire his two sons to help run the team, or perhaps it was because Marty was an ex Buffalo Bills player, or perhaps Wilson actually thinks Gailey is going to not only get this team to the playoffs, but win games.

From my view as just a fan I can say that Gailey has made so many different mistakes at so many levels that I find it difficult to believe he will lead any Bills team to the playoffs, even if given 10 years. Wrong personnel decisions with both assistants and players. Bad play calling to the effect that at least 3 games could have been won if not for the constant aerial attack which wasn't working so well, and abandoning the running attack which was working. Gaileys contrived short passing game has been figured out and I can't imagine going into next season with the same plan, but I bet he will.

this ain't high school its the NFL- you don't know what your looking at

They took away a TD... and called a personal foul for a low block on the seattle QB who was making a tackle. That set up Pitt's clinching TD.