Brock Osweiler, ASU QB

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/480396/brock-osweiler

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brock_Osweiler

The guy just declared yesterday. Obviously, I want the top 2 QBs (especially RG3 because he would and be awesome in Madden :devil: ), but I really don't believe trading that many picks for one player helps your franchise. That's why I'm thrilled to see BO declare. I wayched a bunch of ASU games and this kid is the real deal.

1) He is huge. 6'8" and has a cannon.

2) He is very mobile for his size and had a basketball scholarship to Gonzaga. Very impressive.

3) ASU was a complete mess this season. Dennis Erickson has no control over his players. But this kid can make every throw.

4) He won't cost a 1st rounder and could benefit from sitting a season behind Fitz. My 2 biggest concerns are that he is pretty skinny (but most of us know the older you get, the easier you gain weight) and the lack of QBs pushes him up (I haven't seen a ranking on him yet). If you get him in the 2nd, it's a steal. Anything later than the 2nd, it's highway robbery.

5) He's from Montana so he used to the cold (even though Buffalo hasn't been that cold).

Bottomline is that Fitz got too much blame for the season. Our receiving core had one guy we drafted and that was in the 7th round. Fitz was throwing to all pros. So he definitely deserves another chance. And to trade up for a QB in the 1st would kill a draft.

BO is a player who is as physically talented as any QB in this entire draft. He is 21 and could learn a ton from Fitz. This kid is going to be a player in this league.

P.S. Mods, is there anyway to have a separate section for draft related player profiles and threads? Sometimes the draft stuff gets lost in the traffic with all the other Bills' news. Thanks.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting comment, as Osweiler was exhibit A as far as players that refused to listen to Erickson.

Do you got anything that states that? I'm not doubting you but I never heard that. So I would be curious to read that.

And I won't excuse any player for not listening to their coach, but I do know that Erickson wears out his welcome at place pretty quick. In the pros if you don't listen, you get cut and not paid.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

I will say he definitely impresses me more than those guys that are always hailing Ryan Tannenhill as our next QB But i did see one thing that might change my thought on your post & that is that in his last game which was a bowl game he got beat by who i think should be our pick which we can probably get in a later round & for less cash .

That being Kellen Moore & as i was told in a previous post of mine that college players are not evaluated by stats alone check them out & compare . We need some one that is a winner & if this guy has that quality in what ever he has done then i'm in .

But i don't put a lot into the PROTOTYPICAL NFL QB because Flacco is just that & he's not done all that much but one of the guys that has been leading the charge as far as NFL QB's are considered is not the PROTOTYPICAL NFL QB but he is a winner & Drew Brees of which it is i am talking about & my pick Kellen Moore are very similar in a lot of respects .

But i am going to check this guy out he looks more promising as i said than Tannenhill !!! Thanks for the post !!!!

If its Brock or Tannehill in the 2nd. I'm going Tannehill hands down.

A QB like Brock is going to come down to the mental capacity and coaching interviews. So anything can happen on draft day he could be a 2nd rounder or 7th rounder.

I'll be following him though. Physically he is like the damn ideal physical specimen, However that doesn't mean everything.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I watched every single ASU game this year. Osweiller is very accurate, especially hitting guys on the run at full speed in stride. He has a good arm, has all the tools and can make all the passes. Not a great runner but mobile and willing. He hasn't played all that much, really just one year, which is a big concern. You can't say he is a winner but the team was a cluster!@#$. He seems like a good kid, and his teammates seemed to like him. His offensive coach, Nick Mazzone, now at UCLA loved him.

He is a long term NFL project though, and definitely a #3 for a few years but he has talent. He will probably go in the 4th round or so The NFL advised him between 3-5. I would definitely like him as a project, although like any project the actual chances of him becoming an NFL starter with an ability to win the Super Bowl are a longshot at best.

Interesting comment, as Osweiler was exhibit A as far as players that refused to listen to Erickson.

Why would you say that?

Do you got anything that states that? I'm not doubting you but I never heard that. So I would be curious to read that.

And I won't excuse any player for not listening to their coach, but I do know that Erickson wears out his welcome at place pretty quick. In the pros if you don't listen, you get cut and not paid.

I was referring to what he did in the Las Vegas Bowl when he overrode the coach's decision to punt on 4th down. It was an odd moment and some have been hugely critical of Osweiler for doing it.

As far as Erickson, he has never been known to run a very disciplined program.

Here's a link, CB. Search for waved.

http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/12/23/11/Broncos-show-BCS-what-they-were-missing/landing_sundevils.html?blockID=632578

I was referring to what he did in the Las Vegas Bowl when he overrode the coach's decision to punt on 4th down. It was an odd moment and some have been hugely critical of Osweiler for doing it.

As far as Erickson, he has never been known to run a very disciplined program.

Here's a link, CB. Search for waved.

http://www.foxsports...?blockID=632578

Osweiller got along great with Erickson, still calls him a father figure, always stuck up for him when Erickson was getting pressure, said great stuff about him when he got dismissed, etc. And he was even closer with his offensive coordinator. Very good guy and very coachable kid. Even said he wouldn't change a thing about ASU even though he only started one year.

If its Brock or Tannehill in the 2nd. I'm going Tannehill hands down.

A QB like Brock is going to come down to the mental capacity and coaching interviews. So anything can happen on draft day he could be a 2nd rounder or 7th rounder.

I'll be following him though. Physically he is like the damn ideal physical specimen, However that doesn't mean everything.

A lot of people had major issues with mallets height. I haven't seen A ton of asu and was curious about burfict so saw even less offense from asu (would peek in on occasional drives, rarely o). The height is no issue here?

Edited by NoSaint

A lot of people had major issues with mallets height. I haven't seen A ton of asu and was curious about burfict so saw even less offense from asu (would peek in on occasional drives, rarely o). The height is no issue here?

I wasn't concerned about Mallet's height and he looked great in preseason.

OSWEILER seems more solid than lurch.

I'm sure people will be concerned. I'd be more concerned with what's between his ears than how his high his ears are off the ground.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I will say he definitely impresses me more than those guys that are always hailing Ryan Tannenhill as our next QB But i did see one thing that might change my thought on your post & that is that in his last game which was a bowl game he got beat by who i think should be our pick which we can probably get in a later round & for less cash .

That being Kellen Moore & as i was told in a previous post of mine that college players are not evaluated by stats alone check them out & compare . We need some one that is a winner & if this guy has that quality in what ever he has done then i'm in .

But i don't put a lot into the PROTOTYPICAL NFL QB because Flacco is just that & he's not done all that much but one of the guys that has been leading the charge as far as NFL QB's are considered is not the PROTOTYPICAL NFL QB but he is a winner & Drew Brees of which it is i am talking about & my pick Kellen Moore are very similar in a lot of respects .

But i am going to check this guy out he looks more promising as i said than Tannenhill !!! Thanks for the post !!!!

I love Moore but I'm worried about him at the level. One of the big knocks on Fitz is arm strength. But he has every other quality you want. Moore, IMO, is in the similar vein. I see Moore as a good backup that could be a NFL starter in the right system. He is similar to Dalton in that they both are winners. But I feel Dalton has a stronger arm.

However, I will never discount a winner. If the Bills spent a later round pick on Moore, I would fully get behind it. But I do feel he will be somewhat limited. With the spread however, you never know. I certainly won't bet against the kid. :beer:

1325961677[/url]' post='2357176']

But i don't put a lot into the PROTOTYPICAL NFL QB because Flacco is just that & he's not done all that much but one of the guys that has been leading the charge as far as NFL QB's are considered is not the PROTOTYPICAL NFL QB but he is a winner & Dresucc Brees of which it is i am talking about & my pick Kellen Moore are very similar in a lot of respects .

Winningest qbs in college history....throw Moore in there and the list is still garbage as pertains to nfl success. 1 great qb. 1 ok qb in Pennington, 1 guy that has a chance to be great/good in dalton. Tebow and McCoy....you can have them along with the rest of the guys on the list. I'd rather have a guy that has a brain, big arm, agile feet and can make all the throws. Playing against top competition in college can also help. Moore has a couple traits. I'd take him in the 5th-7th.

1. Colt McCoy, 45-8, 2006-2009, Texas

2. Andy Dalton, 42-7, 2007-2010, TCU

3. David Green, 42-10, 2001-2004, Georgia

4. Peyton Manning, 39-6, 1994-1997, Tennessee

5. Ken Dorsey, 38-2, 2000-2002, Miami

6. Rick Leach, 38-8, 1975-1978, Notre Dame

7. Matt Leinart, 37-2, 2003-2005, USC

8. John Rauch, 36-8, 1945-1948, Georgia

9. Dan Lefevour, 36-15, 2006-2009, Central Michigan

10. Chuck Ealey, 35-0, 1969-1971, Toledo

11. Chad Pennington, 35-4, 1997-1999, Marshall

12. Jay Barker, 35-5, 1991-1994, Alabama

13. Tim Tebow, 35-6, 2006-2009, Florida

14. Eric Crouch, 35-7, 1998-2001, Nebraska

15. Chuck Long, 35-13, 1982-1985, Iowa

I watched every single ASU game this year. Osweiller is very accurate, especially hitting guys on the run at full speed in stride. He has a good arm, has all the tools and can make all the passes. Not a great runner but mobile and willing. He hasn't played all that much, really just one year, which is a big concern. You can't say he is a winner but the team was a cluster!@#$. He seems like a good kid, and his teammates seemed to like him. His offensive coach, Nick Mazzone, now at UCLA loved him.

He is a long term NFL project though, and definitely a #3 for a few years but he has talent. He will probably go in the 4th round or so The NFL advised him between 3-5. I would definitely like him as a project, although like any project the actual chances of him becoming an NFL starter with an ability to win the Super Bowl are a longshot at best.

Why would you say that?

I pray you are right and that he could be available in the 4th. I just have a feeling about him. He is like a more mobile Bledsoe (he ever looks like him). And learning under Fitz and Gailey would be like taking an advance grad school class. And if he is a later round pick, the pressure for him to play right away will not be as strong (but I never doubt Bills fans at starting a QB controversy :devil: ).

As much as people think the Bills are terrible, they aren't. They need more depth and a few more playmakers. But they are getting close. At this point if you aren't getting one of the top 2 QBs, Fitz is your best chance to win. We owe it to the team to upgrade the talent around him. So you don't spend a 1st on a QB. However, a 3rd or lower on a QB from a big conference with BO's measurables is a no brainer. He is like a mobile Ryan Mallet without the coke problem.

Spend a 3rd or so on BO, let him sit & learn for a year or two, upgrade the talent on the team, and then let BO step in.

Osweiler and Tannehill both look good, but if Logan Thomas from Va Tech is available (I don't know if he's declared for the draft yet), I'd give him serious consideration. He really impressed me in the Sugar Bowl.

I think Thomas is only a sophomore and he is extremely raw (I think he was a tight end last year). Plus, VA tech is so conservative so he wasn't forced to make a ton of plays. But he definitely had a solid year. He has a Big Ben feel to him. He is definitely a player to keep your eye on next year.

I coulda swore the kid's name was Rock Bosweiler.

Brock Landers and Chest Rockwell. Musical Gods.

And fact: Brock is a great first name.

Teams don't get better by planning to draft 4th round picks at QB as a strategy.

Once again, this is a prime example as to why there is such a disparity between Bills fans... you'd keep an unreliable 7th round WR and draft a starting QB in the 4th round instead of doing what successful franchises do- draft your QB in the 1st or MAYBE the 2nd round and find reliable players to build around him.

Tom Brady is the exception rather than the rule, and I wish more Bills fans recognized that.

You're 100% right that there really hasn't been a successful QB over 6'6". But people are becoming freaks now. The fact this guy was a good enough athlete to get a basketball scholarship to Gonzaga out of Montana (not exactly a hotbed for hoops) speaks volumes. The athleticism in basketball translates extremely well. And we're talking about a QB.

BO is a much, much better athlete than Mallett with an arm that is very similar (I guess Mallett has the edge but it's close).

Teams don't get better by planning to draft 4th round picks at QB as a strategy.

Once again, this is a prime example as to why there is such a disparity between Bills fans... you'd keep an unreliable 7th round WR and draft a starting QB in the 4th round instead of doing what successful franchises do- draft your QB in the 1st or MAYBE the 2nd round and find reliable players to build around him.

Tom Brady is the exception rather than the rule, and I wish more Bills fans recognized that.

I'm in the camp that you could draft a QB every year. Green Bay did it in the 90s and early 2000s. But I'm not in the camp that if are only going to draft a QB, it has to be in the 1st round. That's the mindset tehy had when they drafted Losman.

The upside of this guy is through the roof. The only reason he won't go higher is because he only started one year. I'm actually terrified that this guy becomes a high riser because of the lacks of quality QBs. Let's keep him our little secret.