Brock Osweiler, ASU QB

I'm in the camp that you could draft a QB every year. Green Bay did it in the 90s and early 2000s. But I'm not in the camp that if are only going to draft a QB, it has to be in the 1st round. That's the mindset tehy had when they drafted Losman.

The upside of this guy is through the roof. The only reason he won't go higher is because he only started one year. I'm actually terrified that this guy becomes a high riser because of the lacks of quality QBs. Let's keep him our little secret.

However, for all of the 1st round busts there have been, it is a fact that 1st and 2nd round QBs win championships.

In the past TWENTY years (no, not a typo), only Kurt Warner and Brad Johnson have starting QBs on teams that won the Super Bowl other than Tom Brady.

15 out of 20. The modern NFL DEMANDS a quarterback with the skills to be the man, and although we failed to get one, not trying dooms us to failure.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winningest qbs in college history....throw Moore in there and the list is still garbage as pertains to nfl success. 1 great qb. 1 ok qb in Pennington, 1 guy that has a chance to be great/good in dalton. Tebow and McCoy....you can have them along with the rest of the guys on the list. I'd rather have a guy that has a brain, big arm, agile feet and can make all the throws. Playing against top competition in college can also help. Moore has a couple traits. I'd take him in the 5th-7th.

1. Colt McCoy, 45-8, 2006-2009, Texas

2. Andy Dalton, 42-7, 2007-2010, TCU

3. David Green, 42-10, 2001-2004, Georgia

4. Peyton Manning, 39-6, 1994-1997, Tennessee

5. Ken Dorsey, 38-2, 2000-2002, Miami

6. Rick Leach, 38-8, 1975-1978, Notre Dame

7. Matt Leinart, 37-2, 2003-2005, USC

8. John Rauch, 36-8, 1945-1948, Georgia

9. Dan Lefevour, 36-15, 2006-2009, Central Michigan

10. Chuck Ealey, 35-0, 1969-1971, Toledo

11. Chad Pennington, 35-4, 1997-1999, Marshall

12. Jay Barker, 35-5, 1991-1994, Alabama

13. Tim Tebow, 35-6, 2006-2009, Florida

14. Eric Crouch, 35-7, 1998-2001, Nebraska

15. Chuck Long, 35-13, 1982-1985, Iowa

Interesting list.

One mistake though.

Rick Leach played at Michigan, not Notre Dame.

I watched every single ASU game this year. Osweiller is very accurate, especially hitting guys on the run at full speed in stride. He has a good arm, has all the tools and can make all the passes. Not a great runner but mobile and willing. He hasn't played all that much, really just one year, which is a big concern. You can't say he is a winner but the team was a cluster!@#$. He seems like a good kid, and his teammates seemed to like him. His offensive coach, Nick Mazzone, now at UCLA loved him.

He is a long term NFL project though, and definitely a #3 for a few years but he has talent. He will probably go in the 4th round or so The NFL advised him between 3-5. I would definitely like him as a project, although like any project the actual chances of him becoming an NFL starter with an ability to win the Super Bowl are a longshot at best.

Why would you say that?

I also watched all of ASU's games this year - I'm alumni- and I would concur with Kelly's assessment of Brock. As for Brock not listening to his head coach and waving the punt team off, Brock made the right call on that.

However, for all of the 1st round busts there have been, it is a fact that 1st and 2nd round QBs win championships.

In the past TWENTY years (no, not a typo), only Kurt Warner and Brad Johnson have starting QBs on teams that won the Super Bowl other than Tom Brady.

15 out of 20. The modern NFL DEMANDS a quarterback with the skills to be the man, and although we failed to get one, not trying dooms us to failure.

Mark Rypien wasn't a first rounder. And if you go back 21 years, Jeff Hostetler wasn't one either. So that's 7 out of 21.

Mark Rypien wasn't a first rounder. And if you go back 21 years, Jeff Hostetler wasn't one either. So that's 7 out of 21.

How many QBs threw for over 4,000 yards in 1990 and 1991? You are talking about a completely different NFL that has evolved over the years.

How many QBs threw for over 4,000 yards in 1990 and 1991? You are talking about a completely different NFL that has evolved over the years.

You were the one who said 20 years. If you want to talk about the present era, we should talk about the 2000's alone.

Teams don't get better by planning to draft 4th round picks at QB as a strategy.

Once again, this is a prime example as to why there is such a disparity between Bills fans... you'd keep an unreliable 7th round WR and draft a starting QB in the 4th round instead of doing what successful franchises do- draft your QB in the 1st or MAYBE the 2nd round and find reliable players to build around him.

Tom Brady is the exception rather than the rule, and I wish more Bills fans recognized that.

This is true. No fan wants to sell out for that franchise QB yet you turn on the TV during the playoffs and you see top picks like Eli Manning and Matt Ryan facing off. Matthew Stafford. Ben Roethlisberger. Joe Flacco. Aaron Rodgers. The list goes on. First round picks. And yeah, Tom Brady was a sixth rounder, Dalton and Brees second rounders........but then again Alex Smith was the top overall pick.

Fortune favors the bold. Ask the Giants with Eli. They could have just taken the excellent Philip Rivers and kept the pick that the Chargers used on Shawne Merriman. All they did was win the Super Bowl anyway.

If you are sold on a guy as your franchise QB, you go get him. Especially when you are a team like the Bills that has found more useful starters on the side of the road than just about anybody. GET A QUARTERBACK and stop being a laughingstock.

I also watched all of ASU's games this year - I'm alumni- and I would concur with Kelly's assessment of Brock. As for Brock not listening to his head coach and waving the punt team off, Brock made the right call on that.

I agree with both of you; physically, the only knock I'd put on him is he could release the ball a little higher, which doesn't mean much at his height. But I have seen him throw a few passes with contrails coming out of them. And his mobility is more than good enough for the NFL. The issue is how fast he can adapt. In one of our old threads about Fitz's viability, San Jose Fan reminded me of the concept of "ceiling". Brock has a high one, and if it is true that he is looking at rounds 3 to 5, he is worth the Bills taking a chance on. Seen a lot of both him and Foles, and while I concede that Foles might be better equipped to step in and not make a fool of himself in his first year, Osweiler probably will be better 3 years down the road.

Edited by Red Squirrel

Yeah, here is the thing: This guy does NOT need to be on the Bills Radar. Not at all. Not ever. Not in 4 months or in 6 years. We have our QB. All of you who don't like it or believe it can eat crow for Thanksgiving 2012. :wallbash:

Fitz is our QB of the now. Not necessarily our QB of the future. And many people on here are advocating taking a QB now, in rd's 2 or 3, sticking them on the bench for two or three years, and then handing them the keys. It's called grooming a QB, and it's what smart teams, with solid, but not great QB's should be doing.

This is true. No fan wants to sell out for that franchise QB yet you turn on the TV during the playoffs and you see top picks like Eli Manning and Matt Ryan facing off. Matthew Stafford. Ben Roethlisberger. Joe Flacco. Aaron Rodgers. The list goes on. First round picks. And yeah, Tom Brady was a sixth rounder, Dalton and Brees second rounders........but then again Alex Smith was the top overall pick.

Fortune favors the bold. Ask the Giants with Eli. They could have just taken the excellent Philip Rivers and kept the pick that the Chargers used on Shawne Merriman. All they did was win the Super Bowl anyway.

If you are sold on a guy as your franchise QB, you go get him. Especially when you are a team like the Bills that has found more useful starters on the side of the road than just about anybody. GET A QUARTERBACK and stop being a laughingstock.

See, the problem I have with comments like this is you expertly cover your behind. You give us the emphatic "GET A QUARTERBACK", but you didn't name the one you want and you prefaced it by saying "if you are sold on a guy".

You talk about being bold, but you aren't. Put your butt on the line and TELL US THE NAME of the franchise QB WHO WILL BE AVAILABLE with the 10th pick. I've seen this game being played here for YEARS.

(For the record, I've been around...off and on, sometimes just monitoring...since about 1999, not just since July 2009.)

Edited by Red Squirrel

See, the problem I have with comments like this is you expertly cover your behind. You give us the emphatic "GET A QUARTERBACK", but you didn't name the one you want and you prefaced it by saying "if you are sold on a guy".

You talk about being bold, but you aren't. Put your butt on the line and TELL US THE NAME of the franchise QB WHO WILL BE AVAILABLE with the 10th pick. I've seen this game being played here for YEARS.

Osweiler or Foles in Round 2. Geno Smith Russell Wilson(depending on the baseball thing) In rd 3. Case Keenum or Kellen Moore rd 5. I dont like Wheedon,Emmanuel, or Cousins.

I will say he definitely impresses me more than those guys that are always hailing Ryan Tannenhill as our next QB But i did see one thing that might change my thought on your post & that is that in his last game which was a bowl game he got beat by who i think should be our pick which we can probably get in a later round & for less cash .

That being Kellen Moore & as i was told in a previous post of mine that college players are not evaluated by stats alone check them out & compare . We need some one that is a winner & if this guy has that quality in what ever he has done then i'm in .

But i don't put a lot into the PROTOTYPICAL NFL QB because Flacco is just that & he's not done all that much but one of the guys that has been leading the charge as far as NFL QB's are considered is not the PROTOTYPICAL NFL QB but he is a winner & Drew Brees of which it is i am talking about & my pick Kellen Moore are very similar in a lot of respects .

But i am going to check this guy out he looks more promising as i said than Tannenhill !!! Thanks for the post !!!!

:thumbdown:

If its Brock or Tannehill in the 2nd. I'm going Tannehill hands down.

A QB like Brock is going to come down to the mental capacity and coaching interviews. So anything can happen on draft day he could be a 2nd rounder or 7th rounder.

I'll be following him though. Physically he is like the damn ideal physical specimen, However that doesn't mean everything.

:thumbsup:

Yeah, here is the thing: This guy does NOT need to be on the Bills Radar. Not at all. Not ever. Not in 4 months or in 6 years. We have our QB. All of you who don't like it or believe it can eat crow for Thanksgiving 2012. :wallbash:

get real dude, if Fitzy our future were screwed. He has no arm and nothing is going to change that whether he is here for 4 months or 6 years.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/480396/brock-osweiler

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brock_Osweiler

The guy just declared yesterday. Obviously, I want the top 2 QBs (especially RG3 because he would and be awesome in Madden :devil: ), but I really don't believe trading that many picks for one player helps your franchise. That's why I'm thrilled to see BO declare. I wayched a bunch of ASU games and this kid is the real deal.

1) He is huge. 6'8" and has a cannon.

2) He is very mobile for his size and had a basketball scholarship to Gonzaga. Very impressive.

3) ASU was a complete mess this season. Dennis Erickson has no control over his players. But this kid can make every throw.

4) He won't cost a 1st rounder and could benefit from sitting a season behind Fitz. My 2 biggest concerns are that he is pretty skinny (but most of us know the older you get, the easier you gain weight) and the lack of QBs pushes him up (I haven't seen a ranking on him yet). If you get him in the 2nd, it's a steal. Anything later than the 2nd, it's highway robbery.

5) He's from Montana so he used to the cold (even though Buffalo hasn't been that cold).

Bottomline is that Fitz got too much blame for the season. Our receiving core had one guy we drafted and that was in the 7th round. Fitz was throwing to all pros. So he definitely deserves another chance. And to trade up for a QB in the 1st would kill a draft.

BO is a player who is as physically talented as any QB in this entire draft. He is 21 and could learn a ton from Fitz. This kid is going to be a player in this league.

P.S. Mods, is there anyway to have a separate section for draft related player profiles and threads? Sometimes the draft stuff gets lost in the traffic with all the other Bills' news. Thanks.

Draft Tek has him as the 9th QB, #129 overall. 5th round before compensatory picks.

If its Brock or Tannehill in the 2nd. I'm going Tannehill hands down.

A QB like Brock is going to come down to the mental capacity and coaching interviews. So anything can happen on draft day he could be a 2nd rounder or 7th rounder.

I'll be following him though. Physically he is like the damn ideal physical specimen, However that doesn't mean everything.

I can tell you that he game planned with ASU Offensive Coordinator Noel Mazzone....He knows the X's and 0's....

Can't agree more. There is no price too high to get a truly good QB. Do what you have to, and then build a team around him. The way I see it, we've endured nearly 20 years of ineptitude. A good QB, especially with the rules of the modern NFL, can play for 10 - 12 years. Get the QB, then build around him. I'd rather see the Bills, after going all in on a QB, progress for 3 years toward NFL elite, than watch them flounder and tread water for 3 years because they don't have a QB good enough to win them games on a consistent basis.

Gailey wasted a whole season (two, actually) because he was too "polite" or "honest" or whatever excuse he had for keeping Edwards on as D.C., unless of course it was a decision prodded on by above. I'm terrified he'll extend that same "fair chance" to Fitz, when 90% of us can see he doesn't have it.

Of course, that wasn't the point of irony. CB mentioned that Erickson's team was out of control in a post promoting Osweiler and the very last game played, the football analysts, etc. were using Osweiler's stunt (whether you agree with it or not is wholly irrelevant) literally as a talking point about the inmates running the asylum. The facts of what happened and some people's reaction to it are, in fact, less disputable than you being a fan of ASU -- though personally, I don't doubt you are. :thumbsup:

Gailey wasted a whole season (two, actually) because he was too "polite" or "honest" or whatever excuse he had for keeping Edwards on as D.C., unless of course it was a decision prodded on by above. I'm terrified he'll extend that same "fair chance" to Fitz, when 90% of us can see he doesn't have it.

Reggie Ball.

Ozzie is a big kid. Not just tall, but BIG. He's been on my radar for months, but I didn't think his skill-level was anywhere near where it had to be in order to be considered a pro prospect. I honestly thought he'd be staying at ASU for the next couple of years. He's definitely a manning-type QB with an arm that needs some work, and some fine-tuning. Can he eventually get there? Sure. But under a REAL OC, not under Gailey's current organization.