Could Wannstedt Make a Play at Chan's Job in 2013?

There's an interesting article from The Bleacher Report that suggests the possibility of Dave Wannstedt taking over Chan's job. Maybe a little far-fetched considering that the team's success will depend on each other, then again if Buffalo let's Stevie walk and Fitz plays like the QB on a 2-12 slide the second half of the season while Buffalo's defense improves, it's not out of the question:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1007552-dave-wannstedt-will-new-bills-dc-land-another-head-coaching-job-in-nfl

But he has had bright spots, including leading the Dolphins to back-to-back 11-5 seasons and Pittsburgh to a 10-3 record in 2009. He's also a strong defensive coach who would be a nice addition for a team in need of a defensive facelift.

In that sense, Wannstedt's best chance as head coach in the NFL now may actually be with the Bills.

If I was Gailey, I'd be looking over my shoulder.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's an interesting article from The Bleacher Report that suggests the possibility of Dave Wannstedt taking over Chan's job. Maybe a little far-fetched considering that the team's success will depend on each other, then again if Buffalo let's Stevie walk and Fitz plays like the QB on a 2-12 slide the second half of the season while Buffalo's defense improves, it's not out of the question:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1007552-dave-wannstedt-will-new-bills-dc-land-another-head-coaching-job-in-nfl

But he has had bright spots, including leading the Dolphins to back-to-back 11-5 seasons and Pittsburgh to a 10-3 record in 2009. He's also a strong defensive coach who would be a nice addition for a team in need of a defensive facelift.

In that sense, Wannstedt's best chance as head coach in the NFL now may actually be with the Bills.

I like the idea of Wannstedt as DC. Not so much as HC. That being said, as we are talking about the Bills, anything is possible...but Wannestadt just always seemed befuddled as head coach. I remember the nationally syndicated FOX guy, Jorge Sedano, who was a based in Miami and a beat reporter for the Dolphins, would comment over and over how uncomfortable Wannestadt always seemed as the head man... He proved it in Chicago, Miami and Pittsburgh, he falls into the category of "great assistant, maybe not a great head coach"....think Wade Phillips.

Didn't take much creativity to concoct that story. It's hot air.

I like the idea of Wannstedt as DC. Not so much as HC. That being said, as we are talking about the Bills, anything is possible...but Wannestadt just always seemed befuddled as head coach. I remember the nationally syndicated FOX guy, Jorge Sedano, who was a based in Miami and a beat reporter for the Dolphins, would comment over and over how uncomfortable Wannestadt always seemed as the head man... He proved it in Chicago, Miami and Pittsburgh, he falls into the category of "great assistant, maybe not a great head coach"....think Wade Phillips.

Funny because that was the same thought I had when hearing Mularky might be ending up as a HC in Miami.

Call me nuts, but I liked Mularkey.

Me as well. He got the shaft in Buffalo.

I did, as well. It just always seemed like when he got to Buffalo he lost "it." I remember Peter King talking about how he was going to be a real big deal, etc. and saying John Fox did not impress him. I remember when Mularky got fired and I wrote King, I was mentioned and replied to on TMQB.

IMO it just seemed that as a HC in Buffalo the FO did not respect him, give him the reign he needed and kept him held down. My only thought, especially since, is there was a reason for this. I have always wondered if he was just another coordinator that could not be the figure head that a head coach is...and there is nothing wrong with that.

What has Wanny done in the NFL that is relevant this century?

I don't get the faith in the guy. You want him to succeed of course.

but don't forget he was a part of this years defensive staff along with

the Asst. head coach title. So, A pedigreed coach who's actual contributions this year

are almost impossible to figure out. He's the future here?

Great observations. I hope the Stache agrees.

Great observations. I hope the Stache agrees.

I don't know...Mularkey really never impressed me at the time, but I remember being extremely disappointed when Marv and his "brain trust" hired Dick Jauron when there were a lot of good coaching prospects out there. In hindsight, it probably would have been wise to give MM another year at HC. Unfortunately, I think he knew it was a situation that was impossible to succeed in, given the fact that (aside from Marv) there really was no REAL GM. He wasn't with the team when they drafted JP Losman as "QB of the Future," and I don't think he was ever sold on the idea of him as QB which is why Kelly Holcomb played so much that year.

I fully expect The Stache to take a run a Chan's job. But not in a covert way. Just like he did in getting Edwards' gig. Pretty crafty of him to have his ILBs deliberately sabotage the defense but he didn't fool me for a second. Chan better beware of The Stache.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't know...Mularkey really never impressed me at the time, but I remember being extremely disappointed when Marv and his "brain trust" hired Dick Jauron when there were a lot of good coaching prospects out there. In hindsight, it probably would have been wise to give MM another year at HC. Unfortunately, I think he knew it was a situation that was impossible to succeed in, given the fact that (aside from Marv) there really was no REAL GM. He wasn't with the team when they drafted JP Losman as "QB of the Future," and I don't think he was ever sold on the idea of him as QB which is why Kelly Holcomb played so much that year.

Actually, Mularkey was the head coach in 2004, when Losman was drafted. Also, Mularkey wasn't fired, he resigned. I happen to think that Marv Levy and Mike Mularkey would have worked well together. Worst case scenario, they would have fired Mularkey a year or two later, and we would have avoided the soul-crushing Dick Jauron era. I am not trying to be a nit-picker (lord knows I forget details all the time, as years pass), but I have heard from a source I trust, fwiw, that it wasn't so much that Mularkey didn't believe in Losman, but he in no way thought he was ready to be a stater. Mularkey was not on board with dumping Bledsoe, unless they had a viable, competent compliment to Losman. Holcomb was they best they could do.