Could Wannstedt Make a Play at Chan's Job in 2013?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

look at his track record. Teams he coached always excelled on the d side of the ball

i hear you, and i hope that he finds similar success with the bills. that said, my enthusiasm is tempered by the fact that he's been with the team for a year now without seeing any significant improvement on defense. given wanny's defensive credentials, i expected more.

it's entirely possible that edwards was completely running the show and wanny's influence was severely limited (though i doubt it given his relationship with coach chan). i guess we'll be able to determine if that was the case about this time next year.

I think you are joking, but, just in case: Chan Gailey born Jan. 5, 1952

Dave Wannestadt born May 21, 1952

Wow, "my bad".

They are both too old to START a rebuild. Chan looks pretty old. I see him coaching just 2, (maybe 3) more seasons.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Chan is OLD. I think that what Wannstadt hopes will happen is that he becomes DC, the team plays great for a couple seasons, and then Chan retires and he is given the HC job.

I can't believe no one else in this thread mentioned this. I think it is the most obvious and likely scenario (well, except for the "team plays great for a couple seasons" part!).

I was actually talking in generalities about "making a play" at the job. Personally I hope there is not anyone that would consider Wanny a good choice for head coach even if his defense as coordinator becomes tops in the league. I think he has proven over a long, long time that he is not the best head coach. It's a completely different job. He has had a lot of years as a head coach in both the NFL and in college with very limited success.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with Wanny as the DC, I would hate the idea of him as the HC regardless of how well his defense does in the next few years.

There's an interesting article from The Bleacher Report that suggests the possibility of Dave Wannstedt taking over Chan's job. Maybe a little far-fetched considering that the team's success will depend on each other, then again if Buffalo let's Stevie walk and Fitz plays like the QB on a 2-12 slide the second half of the season while Buffalo's defense improves, it's not out of the question:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1007552-dave-wannstedt-will-new-bills-dc-land-another-head-coaching-job-in-nfl

But he has had bright spots, including leading the Dolphins to back-to-back 11-5 seasons and Pittsburgh to a 10-3 record in 2009. He's also a strong defensive coach who would be a nice addition for a team in need of a defensive facelift.

In that sense, Wannstedt's best chance as head coach in the NFL now may actually be with the Bills.

If I was Gailey, I'd be looking over my shoulder.

When I saw this possibility being discussed, the following scenario leaped into my mind:

January 10th, 2013

Chan Gailey Fired!

After a 5-11 season, Bills' general manager Buddy Nix announced the firing of head coach Chan Gailey. "We respect Chan and his contribution to the organization over the years," Nix said, "but we ultimately decided it was in our best interest to go in a different direction."

The firing comes after another disappointing season under Gailey's direction. A renowned offensive guru, Gailey could never quite put all the pieces together in Buffalo. Coming into Buffalo, he was known for taking second- or third-tier quarterbacks, such as Kordell Stewart, Jay Fiedler, and Thigpen, and making them succeed. He continued this for the Bills with Ryan Fitzpatrick.

"They didn't give Gailey much to work with on offense," said one source who asked to remain anonymous. "The team he inherited had very little talent on either side of the ball. Most of their early draft picks were used on defense. On the rare occasion the team came across a talented player--such as Stevie Johnson--they let that player walk. 'Too many touchdown celebrations!' they told him."

Despite having been given so little with which to work, Gailey gave the Bills a feisty offense which could not be taken lightly. But Gailey the offensive coordinator could not overcome the deficiencies of Gailey the head coach.

"Their defense was their Achilles heel," said that same anonymous source. "Maybe you can get away with a sieve of a defense when you have a quarterback like Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers. But when you have Ryan Fitzpatrick is your quarterback, you need a pretty good defense if you want to win games." The Bills' defense set a new, franchise-worst record for most yards allowed and most points allowed. "That is not what we were hoping for when we invested so many early picks in our defense," said Nix candidly.

As an offensive coordinator, Gailey succeeded brilliantly. As a head coach he was a failure due to his inability to surround himself with a capable coaching staff.

After announcing Gailey's firing, Buddy Nix named defensive coordinator Dave Wannstedt the Bills' new head coach.

NFN, but to all those Wannstache lovers, If the guy was that great he would have had opportunities as a HC or even a DC in the NFL previous to his hiring as a "LB" coach, Ast HC. But then as Bills fans I suppose we should be happy anyone with NFL experience would want to come to the Buffalo Bills for a job.

Was it Graucho Marx who said her wouldn't join any club that would haver him as a member? I guess for Bills fans it's any coach or player who would sign here can't be any good.

PTR