Edwards fired, wanny hired

FluffHead

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We aren't inside the coaches meetings. Maybe he gave Edwards gameplans/advice/etc that Edwards didn't end up following?

No, we aren't. I'm not expecting the question to be answered.

BTW, there have been other situations where a consultant is brought in to mentor a younger coach in the NFL and that has led to statistical (measurable) improvements.

In this case, you're correct. Who knows?

The bigger news is this means Chan isn't going anywhere if he's allowed offseason moves. I like Chan as a man, but he lost this team and I feel we are in a worse position then last year at this time when at least we had some momentum.

As a fan, we all knew Edwards was going to suck. The inside linebackers coach of the freakin dolphins? Give me a break. We could see this a mile away.

They played a lot of rotational 4-3 yesterday, so maybe the rumors that Wanny had more of a hand in things late in the year has some legs? OTOH, the defense gave up 7 scoring drives in 8 possessions in the last 3 quarters yesterday. Another kink is that Buddy has been hiring staff on the scouting side used to scouting for the 3-4 (including himself), burned two drafts working on converting to the 3-4, signed free agents for it, and has said repeatedly that they were not going to "keep flip-flopping".

Let's put it out there: Chan is now really on the hot-seat.

That's the type of front office and coaching synergy that all teams set out to achieve. ;) Now, where's that shovel?

yeah, the disasterous move to 3-4 was all Edwards fault. Had nothing to do w/ Chans decision in the first place knowing we had 4-3 personel. So the answer is replacing him with a 4-3 defense coach? lol @ Chan the politician

Nix, probably influenced by Whaley, probably pushed the 3-4 onto Gailey. We now see that it impeded rather than hastened the latest rebuild. I guess Buffalo really is redefining organizational ineptitude.

I wrote here on this board day 1 that switching from the Tampa-2 to a traditional 3-4 defense was a BIG change and would be difficult.

Don't you think switching from the Tampa-2 to a traditional 4-3 defense with the players we had signed would be a smaller change but still difficult and likely not make the team any better? Who exactly was going to be good on the Bills in a traditional 4-3 defense? If Nix traded for 4-3 DEs that were exactly as good as Dwan Edwards, and drafted DE and DT that were exactly as good as Terrell Troup and Carrington (and had back problems) and signed a former all-pro pass rushing 4-3 OLB that never really got healthy, and had all these injuries, and had a crappy 4-3 coach instead of a crappy 3-4 coach, do you think we would have been any better whatsoever? I don't.

This was simply necessary....not a revolutionary idea. That's not to say I'm not happy about the change, b/c anyone with an I.Q. above a shoelace could see the Defense was the primary reason we had substantial issues in winning games....as it is, the BILLS won three of their six games DESPITE the Defense!! Now, there needs to be significant Defensive upgrades in the Line and LB positions, more O-Line depth, either Easley comes back 100% or you draft a playmaker at WR, and the QB position needs to fall under very tight scrutiny in that AT MOST you give Fitzpatrick one more year with his replacement on the bench waiting to take the reigns or at least you either draft a QB or go and get one that can play right now.....given the rest of the issues with this team, I'd support building a supporting cast and seeing if Fitz can play well enough with his replacement on the bench, just biting at the bit ready to take over....

They wasted an entire season. :nana:

The Bills allowed a franchise worst 5,938 yards this season, and the 434 points they gave up was the second-worst in team history. Dave Wannstedt was assistant head coach and inside linebackers coach. He bears some of the responsibility for this train wreck and then he gets control of the defense? WTF!

What the hell is wrong with you people who think this is a good hire?

George Edwards was a complete failure so his departure is addition by subtraction, but Wannstedt is not much better. Why are people so happy to accept mediocrity? Look at Wannstedt and Gailey's records and it shouts MEDIOCRE!!!

This insanity is caused by following consistent losers year after year. The ability to reason has atrophied to the point of non-existence.

The Bills allowed a franchise worst 5,938 yards this season, and the 434 points they gave up was the second-worst in team history. Dave Wannstedt was assistant head coach and inside linebackers coach. He bears some of the responsibility for this train wreck and then he gets control of the defense? WTF!

What the hell is wrong with you people who think this is a good hire?

George Edwards was a complete failure so his departure is addition by subtraction, but Wannstedt is not much better. Why are people so happy to accept mediocrity? Look at Wannstedt and Gailey's records and it shouts MEDIOCRE!!!

This insanity is caused by following consistent losers year after year. The ability to reason has atrophied to the point of non-existence.

Ummmm... because Wanny didn't create the defensive scheme, do the game plans, put the packages on the field, decide which players on the field and when, or call the defensive formations and signals? And he has proven before to be one of the better DC's in the league, which was why he was hired to be a HC two different times by successful franchises?

I think we'll be a 4-3 team, mercifully. Our talent is pretty well designed for it. We'll start Dareus and Williams inside, which will be one of the best DT pairs in the league. Chris Kelsay will return to his natural LE position, unremovable since Ralph gave him tenure last year. On the other side we'll see some competition between Dwan Edwards and Alex Carrington, but I think RE will be a huge position for us.

The LBs will need to shake themselves out.

I guess I'm a little unclear on what you mean, Silvermike.

Do you mean RE will be a huge position in that you think Edwards and Carrington will play well?

or do you mean RE will be a huge position of need in that we don't have anyone who can play it?

Barnett has played MLB decently in a 4-3 in GB

Who do we have who can play OLB in a 4-3?

We would still need a pass rush from somewhere

I hope Giff Smith sticks around I like his Fiery attitude.

Fiery attitude is all very well

What evidence leads you to conclude he is competent to coach a DL at the NFL level and develop players properly?

One thing I do like about Gailey is he isnt afriad to make a change

*blink* :blink: *blink*

I think Williams/Dareus/Barnett in the middle is an excellent core. And while a lot of people disagree, I think Kelsay is a solid 4-3 DE. No, not an all pro, but neither are most of the DE's in the league. I also think Carrington/Johnson/Edwards will be excellent depth at the position.

No matter if we stay with the 3-4 or go with the 4-3, we'll still need upgrades at both OLB positions and one DE. We'll also need another DT to rotate with Heard, unless maybe Carrington can fill that role?

Upshaw in the draft and 4-5th round DT goes a long way to fixing the D now that Wanny is in. I have a feeling DE will be back burnered for now.

If going to the 4-3 a rush DE is even more a necessity and a strong side OLB to jam the TE...so hopefully I see pick 10- Rush DE and a FA- OLB and this Defense should be decent in 2012.

Starting Front 7

DL- Carrington-Dareus-Williams- 1st Rd Draft Pick (depth Kelsay,Troupe, Edwards,Johnson, Merriman)

LB- FA- SOLB Shepard-MLB Barnett- WOLB (depth Moats,White& 3-5 rd pick)

Decent start IMHO for Wanny but we need at least two playmakers for this front 7 to work properly. Git er done Buddy you can't be asleep when FA starts (Hey I can dream also, lol)

Ah the offseason, always our Superbowl! :w00t:

:lol::lol::lol:

If going to the 4-3 a rush DE is even more a necessity and a strong side OLB to jam the TE...so hopefully I see pick 10- Rush DE and a FA- OLB and this Defense should be decent in 2012.

Starting Front 7

DL- Carrington-Dareus-Williams- 1st Rd Draft Pick (depth Kelsay,Troupe, Edwards,Johnson, Merriman)

What about Heard? I would put him ahead of everyone except Dareus and Williams

Starting Front 7

LB- FA- SOLB Shepard-MLB Barnett- WOLB (depth Moats,White& 3-5 rd pick)

Decent start IMHO for Wanny but we need at least two playmakers for this front 7 to work properly. Git er done Buddy you can't be asleep when FA starts (Hey I can dream also, lol)

You think shepard can handle solb?