Stevie asking for 7.5M per

FluffHead

Attitude? The one where he wants to be a Bill ? The one where he plays hurt? Google Stevie Johnson UK youtube video............The guy's a winner and makes people around him better.......What attitude does he have? Married guy does all the right things ?

Did he not tip you well at Moe's or something ? Whats the deal with the Stevie agenda Toshi.......every post same thing....

Man - I'm voting pay him but have you missed the last year? He's had some moments. And forgive me but the ring on his finger doesn't really prove much. Isn't this the same man that tweeted a photo of his junk? I'm sure that was meant for the wife though. Not that it makes a huge difference in this conversation. Like I said- I don't buy the good guy image. I think he's got a lot of growing up to do. I also think he's super talented.

And let's be reeeal honest- how long ago does he call it quits on the season due to the injuries if it wasn't a contract year?

The missed catches at huge moments, the stupid tweets about them, the missed events, the repeated penalties... Its all pointing towards young, dumb, and lacking focus - hopefully he cleans up some and outgrows all that. It's a lot to have in the last 14-15 months as an NFL starter

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you don't pay #2 WR's that kind of money, esp those who have the attitude and drops that he has. Put a transition tag on him (New CBA Gave us it back I believe?) and look for some real talent or get him to accept a #2 WR paycheck

#2 WR money? You mean like $4mil a year for Brad Smith? Comparing Stevie to Brad is rediculous as far as production yet Smith is making $4mil a year. Stevie is worth every penny of $9mil if it's asked of him. He's outperformed Evans with similar talent around him yet so many say he's not worth it. You all must be crazy. Putting his last 2 years into perspective, Andre Reed, Eric Moulds, James Lofton, Lee Evans, Peerless Price, Quinn Early, Don Beebe, Terrell Owens have never done either of these things, 1- scored more than 10 TDs in thier years with the Bills, 2- had back to back 1,000 yard seasons. There's a few HOFers in that group and a few that are borderline HOFers. Stevie Johnson clearly has some talent. Just because you and some others are butt hurt that Evans was traded you have this hatred for Stevie and it's rediculous. It's exactly why we continue to suck as an NFL franchise also. We sign and resign sub par talent and let go of players that are in the edge of becoming really good because we don't take the chance at being proactive as far as future star contracts goes. God help us if we don't sign Stevie. Well be worse off than we are now. We will not only have to find a 2nd WR for the other side, we will also have to find another #1.

I hope they get a deal done, but I am a little concerned. When the season started, and things were going well, the Bills were getting lots of national press, and patted on the back for their "no-name" receiving group, which looked pretty good at that time...the Bills seemed to relish that. I just hope that the Bills don't get too cute, and think they can just plug anyone in at receiver, and get production. I kind of get that vibe from Gailey sometimes...

The thing I don't get is this. Whether Overdorf negotiates the contracts or not. Shouldn't it be the head of football operations' job to say to the negotiator, get it done? I mean Nix likes the guy and if the $7.5M figure is accurate, the GM has to step in and take responsibility.

The thing I don't get is this. Whether Overdorf negotiates the contracts or not. Shouldn't it be the head of football operations' job to say to the negotiator, get it done? I mean Nix likes the guy and if the $7.5M figure is accurate, the GM has to step in and take responsibility.

Agreed

you don't pay #2 WR's that kind of money, esp those who have the attitude and drops that he has. Put a transition tag on him (New CBA Gave us it back I believe?) and look for some real talent or get him to accept a #2 WR paycheck

To correct the idea of just transition him with the inference that the move will save money.

Here are the Franchise/Transition tag numbers for 2010 along with highest paid for each position. Can't find 2011, most likely due to no NFL contract this year.

CB: $9.6 million/$8.1 million (Champ Bailey, $13.2M)

DE: $12.4 million/$10.2 million (Julius Peppers, $16.7M)

DT: $7 million/$6.4 million (Tommie Harris, $8.6M)

LB: $9.7 million/$8.4 million (DeMarcus Ware, $11.4M)

OL: $10.7 million/$9.1 million (Joe Staley, $13.5M)

P/K: $2.8 million/$2.6 million (Shane Lechler, $3.1M)

QB: $16.4 million/$14.6 million (Peyton Manning, $21.2M)

RB: $8.2 million/$7.2 million (Reggie Bush, $10.6M)

S: $6.5 million/$6 million (Adrian Wilson, $7M)

TE: $5.9 million/$5.2 million (Dallas Clark, $6.8M)

WR: $9.5 million/$8.7 million (Larry Fitzgerald, $10.9M

Source - http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/02/nfl-franchise-player-tender-amounts-for-2010-season/1

I could be wrong but I doubt salaries have digressed much, if at all.

Also for those who say teams have to spend to cap starting this year (2012)- WRONG. It is 2013.

Source - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d820e6311/printable/nfl-clubs-approve-comprehensive-agreement-

Edited by Saratoga Leo

Whatever the Bills do is the wrong thing. They let Whitner walk? Mistake. They extend Lee Evans? Overpaid. Sign Fitz? Too early and he sucks. I'm sure the Bills will be wrong for signing/not signing Johnson as well.

PTR

You say this with sarcasm but 10+ years of missing the playoffs says your statement is actually pretty accurate...

Edited by MDH

I was waiting for someone to make this point.

Link?

Did you read the link?

Everyone needs to come the F*** down about this negotiations. Free Agency doesn't start for another 2 1/2 months, the seasons not even over yet and people act around here as if it starts Monday

This is a quote from teh WGR article from his agent

"We were approached to do a deal prior to the season starting," said Laboy. "When it became clear that the two sides were too far apart, we agreed that it would be best to shelve negotiations and allow Stevie to focus on the season. Stevie never wanted his contract status to be a distraction to him or his teammates. At that time, the Bills turned their focus on getting Ryan [Fitzpatrick]’s contract done, which they ultimately did. A week or so after Ryan’s deal was done, the Bills wanted to re-open negotiations, but when it quickly became apparent that we wouldn’t be able to get a deal done, Stevie decided that it was best to wait until the end of the year before talking about his contract again."

Basically, he is saying that Stevie wanted to wait til the offseason to negotiate his contract, even when the Bills approached him to negotiate after getting Fitzs deal done, he still wanted to wait til after this weekend

The guy says he wants to be here, the team has opened discussions multiple times to try and re-sign him, and his side says they want to wait til the offseason to negotiate. Can we atleast say No More Stevie Contract Posts until either -

A. He has a new deal signed,

or

B. its the End of February 2012?????

Yu expect reasoning from folks on this board? The sky is falling the sky is falling, ralph is cheap

at 7-8 mil a yr... hes worth every nickel... seems like stevie is being realistic to what his market value is cuz hes not a tru3 #1 like a megatron. and not even as good as the roddy white level WR's... he should be paid like a top of the line #2 WR which is what he is... sometimes u dont need a #1 WR if we can resign him, and then sign another guy of the same caliber, and have 2 front line#2 WR's and have nelson as a solid slot guy.. our WR corp would be much improved. tons of FA this yr at WR

Yeah I couldn't find any info on his escalators; I'm sure he's hit all of them.

The link in bills1960 article included escalators and I *think* it was APY salary (at least, a lot of salaries were higher than on some other sites, so it seems reasonable to suppose that signing bonuses and escalators were included)

But of course...it didn't include Welker.

I'm sure you're right that he's due for a raise.

one word anwer FITZ............haa... You try catchin a ball from that erratic slinger...

I know you're into dis-patrick, don't want to interrupt your flow.

There are some interesting comments here from Brad Smith about the Bill's system and the complexities of their passing game Linky as well as an interesting comment from an irritated fan at the bottom.

Someone needs to point out that at least some of the time,Fitz's throws may be off because he expects the receiver to have run the route differently (they aren't on the same page - could be either's fault)

It is also a fact that top wideouts around the league manage to fairly routinely pull in erratic throws from their QB - example Plax one-handed sideline jump ball against us, throws from Dalton that Green routinely makes etcetera.

I know SJ has been playing hurt all season and I saw a couple spectacular catches in the first 2 games, but the fact is we don't see so much highlight reel material out of Stevie.

There's some interesting stuff towards the bottom of this article

Let me repeat what I said before. By cutting Stevie Johnson ,the Bills create another whole that has to be filled in the draft or free agency.

7.5 Million is very reasonable for a solid receiver in the NFL these days. Letting him walk and then trying to find someone willing to come to Buffalo, to fill the hole who is of equal caliber to play for less money is a tough sell.

I agree Stevie has some maturity issues, but why is it that every receiver and RB in the league has to take out a Shapie, shoot them self in the leg or do some dance in the Endzone to prove his manhood. Just spike the Damn ball. Better yet just act like you have been there before and hand the ball to the Official.

Stats for the receivers in the article along with their targets, catches and drops....

Courtesy Stats LLC - If Curious

Name Targets Catches Drops Salary

Lee Evans 25 4 1 8.25

Larry Fitzgerald 136 71 2 16.1

Miles Austin 68 41 2 9

Sidney Rice 57 32 2 8.2

Reggie Wayne 121 67 2 6.5

Andre Johnson 149 31 3 9.3

Greg Jennings 99 67 3 9.1

Stevie Johnson 127 72 3 0.5

Santonio Holmes 100 51 4 9

Megatron 141 85 5 12.6