Rogers vs Welker

TPS

Hopefully J-Rogers will be lining up against Welker this Sunday. Rogers' skills are a good match for Welker, though I expect Welker's experience will school the kid in this first match up. Next year though...

"Hey rookie, you get to cover Wes Welker this week." You have to be competitive and confident to play in the NFL. If it was me, I would be sick to my stomach just thinking about it. I wish him well if that match-up happens, but it's almost a win-win no matter what happens. If Welker schools him, that wouldn't be a big surprise, it will be a learning experience, and not too many people would hold it against him. If he holds his own, people will be impressed and he will get more respect going forward. I'll be watching to see if that turns out to be the match-up, and I'll certainly be rooting for the rookie.

If Rogers and Williams both turn out to be players, I think we can safely say that the last draft was far and away the best draft we have had in over a decade. Nit saying that much given our previous drafts quality of late, but still it gives some glimmer of hope to the future. Too bad we are going to lose another very strong 7th round draftee for no reason, SJ, so next draft we are back to recycling departed starters.

But still, excellent draft, this latest one.

Hopefully J-Rogers will be lining up against Welker this Sunday. Rogers' skills are a good match for Welker, though I expect Welker's experience will school the kid in this first match up. Next year though...

You mean Rogers the kick return guy? How so?

Rogers has been a nice addition. I think we can officially declare McKelvin a bust as a CB.

I like Rodgers as well

I cant call McKelvin a bust but I dont think he is a starter in the NFL...i think he can be a decent nickel or dime back which obviously is not what you expect from a top 15 pick

he is still a good returner though and should be their primary returner on kicks and punts next year

the teams that Welker hasnt put up big numbers against all did the same thing...they leave a defender in the middle to cover the crossing pattern and knock him around a bit...i dont know why the bills just let him run underneath all game long...leave a LB there to knock him on his azz

Edited by Max997

Rogers has been a nice addition. I think we can officially declare McKelvin a bust as a CB.

McKelvin is an enigma. I think he may be the full-time PR going into next year. I don't know what Devin Hester was drafted as- probably a CB. In which case, I wouldn't call him a bust. Point being, if he can play some nickel and dime, serve as a backup and be a dynamic returner, I'm OK with that.

McKelvin is an enigma. I think he may be the full-time PR going into next year. I don't know what Devin Hester was drafted as- probably a CB. In which case, I wouldn't call him a bust. Point being, if he can play some nickel and dime, serve as a backup and be a dynamic returner, I'm OK with that.

Hester was drafted as a CB but from what I remember not a really good one but I could be wrong....they decided to move him to offense to get the ball in his hands more because of what he was able to do on returns which ironically seemed to take away a little from his playmaking ability as a returner

Edited by Max997

Rogers on Welker.

Sheppard on Hernandez.

Kelsay on Gronkowski.

This is going to be one heck of a game.

that's scary. instead of man on man coverage, what i hope/think the bills do is run like a cover 2 sink, so the middle is crowded w dbs and lbs - kinda like what DCs were doing to the bills to counter the short passing games.

clog up the middle of the field which hopefully neutralizes gronk hernandez and welker. make them throw deep if they want to pass. sure, theyll be able to get some modest gains on the ground, but i dont think its in belichik's/brady's mindset to give up on passing and commit to a run-first philosophy.

bills had a lot of success playing a read and react defense last week. i know denver and new england arent even on the same planet, but the idea of lots of bodies in the passing lanes might get some tipped balls and picks like the first time around.

most importantly, RUN CJ AND KEEP THE PATS* OFFENSE OFF THE FIELD!!!

I think with a better pass rush, McKelvin can be a fine CB. He was drafted by DJ as a Cover 2(Tampa 2) corner. This 3-4 is a different animal and with no pass rush for most of the season our DB's were in trouble. Revis would not do as well here without a pass rush to help. I wish Rogers luck if he draws the Welker matchup. You gotta hit Welker on the line before he can get into his (usually precise) routes and mess the timimg up. Not sure Rogers can do that.

Typical attitude. In order to complete a player, you have to put another one down. McKelvin has struggle but has elite skills. Confidence makes or breaks players. IMO, the Bills would be idiots for not bringing McKelvin back for another season. Worse comes to worst, he would be a great punt returner. The Skins gave up on 1st round pick Carlos Rogers and he is now a pro bowl starter for the 49ers.

You never give up on young, talented players too early unless you have an extreme reason (character concerns namely).

You mean Rogers the kick return guy? How so?

He was a very late round pick mainly because of his size, and the knock on him was that he would have trouble against big receivers in the NFL. His positives were described as very quick in short and intermediate area, and excellent read and react. When I read up on him after the draft, this was one of my thoughts--sounds like a guy who could eventually match up with Welker. We'll see.

If Rogers shines and at least seems to contain Welker does this change our thoughts on the draft? We all know what happened the first game, Welker ate us alive. I think it may. IMO, If he has a solid performance against one of the best WR's in the league, and because he's already showing some promise, I think it keeps us from going CB in the early rounds of the draft.

Edited by H2o