Donte Whitner

Good for Whitner. Another in a string of players that Bills "fans" never gave a chance even though he did nothing but embrace Buffalo and the organization. But it was Whitner's fault for getting drafted where he did. It's hilarious to watch the Whitner haters post that he lost the Cowboys game when they have no idea what coverage the 9ers were in. Whitner was never a superstar but he was a damn solid player who was a good Bill.

That said, his loss is soften because Dick Jauron (DC of a top 10 defense btw :devil: ) had the vision to change George Wilson's life. Hopefully this will be a lesson to fans to give a young kid a chance before running them out of town.

BUT WHITNER WAS RUNOVER BY SAMMY MORRIS THAT ONE TIME HE HAD A SEPARATED SHOULDER!!! HE SUCKS AND THE PRO BOWL IS ALL ABOUT POPULARITY!!!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's in 83 career games, the vast majority as a starter.

On one of the least talented, most poorly coached defenses ever to set foot on an NFL field.

Whitner was the least of the BILLS' problems on defense. The fact that people are STILL piling on a guy who has had a pretty good year on a VERY good defense is really sad. Especially after watching our defense fall apart week after week.

On one of the least talented, most poorly coached defenses ever to set foot on an NFL field.

Whitner was the least of the BILLS' problems on defense. The fact that people are STILL piling on a guy who has had a pretty good year on a VERY good defense is really sad. Especially after watching our defense fall apart week after week.

Well I wasn't piling on him… just pointing out that he was and probably still is, a bad ball athlete.

And I've posted numerous times that the player shouldn't be blamed for those occasions when the team misappropriates the use of a high draft pick for that player.

I don't think there's any question that Donte gave it everything he had in Buffalo.

As I posted upthread, he couldn't singlehandedly lift a bad defense but he's thriving on a good defense.

Happy for Donte.

People are odd.

I started a thread pointing out how Whitner had turned around the 9ers and people came up with all sorts of crazy comments. Unless you have a thick skin you may want to take down this thread and/or find my old thread and put it there so the negativity isn't all focused on you.

:lol:

Whatever Darin. You're missing the point.

JR asked the question and the answer is no.

Whitner was one of the worst ball athletes to play safety for the Buffalo Bills… ever.

Not only would he not ever sit on a throw, jump a route, or bait a quarterback… but if the ball hit him in the hands he would drop it.

We're talking about a guy who has 7 career interceptions in a 6 year career.

That's in 83 career games, the vast majority as a starter.

well said, brother!

Look--I even liked Whitner when he was here, and thought we should have re-signed him at a modest price. But he's not even half the player than Wilson is.

As you correctly point out, 7 career picks...unreal. I bet Ngata has more picks than that. :D

People are odd.

I started a thread pointing out how Whitner had turned around the 9ers and people came up with all sorts of crazy comments. Unless you have a thick skin you may want to take down this thread and/or find my old thread and put it there so the negativity isn't all focused on you.

I didn't see that thread but, I can't blame those people. Have you watched the 9rs games? I have.

I am sorry, but Whitner has been playing EXACTLY how he played with the Bills. Hard hits (that's all he ever tries to do), with whiffed tackles, completely awful pass coverage, and almost always late when playing over the top. The thing is the 9rs have a great coaching staff, and the defense is loaded with solid players at almost every position. I would contend that Whitner is actually the weakest link on that defense.

To say HE turned that team around is ludicrous. George Wilson outplayed him BY FAR when healthy this season.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I didn't see that thread but, I can't blame those people. Have you watched the 9rs games? I have.

I am sorry, but Whitner has been playing EXACTLY how he played with the Bills. Hard hits (that's all he ever tries to do), with whiffed tackles, completely awful pass coverage, and almost always late when playing over the top. The thing is the 9rs have a great coaching staff, and the defense is loaded with solid players at almost every position. I would contend that Whitner is actually the weakest link on that defense.

To say HE turned that team around is ludicrous. George Wilson outplayed him BY FAR when healthy this season.

Do you play chess?

When Marv stepped in as GM in 2006, it really wasn't to replace Donahoe. After all, Donahoe had been the true decision maker for the Bills and had developed a reputation as an autocrat by the time he was let go after the 2005 season. To drive the point home that Marv was a delegate rather than a dictator he ran those 2 drafts that he oversaw on a consensus basis. The idea was to draft players that everyone could live with rather than a player that some in the room were opposed to taking.

When the Bills were on the clock back in April of 2006, there were some in the room who wanted Jay Cutler. Some wanted H. Ngata. Some wanted B. Bunkley. Some wanted him to trade down as there were reportedly offers on the table from both the Eagles and Eagles. Whitner was a guy that everyone in the room could live with. While his upside was limited, he had a very low risk of being a bust.

He was and is a good player -- but he never lived up to the status of having been the #8 player taken in the draft. Safeties drafted that high are expected to be like Ed Reed -- not merely good players.

We complain around here a lot about all of the first round busts -- and certainly have been plenty of them. However, too many of our first rounders -- Winfield, Nate, Willis, Whitner, and Lynch -- all wind up playing on different teams. It's like the Bills know that they can draft RBs and DBs well, so they never try to keep them. That is why they are never in the process of building a team that has any sort of staying power.

Yes - the Bills and their fans are right, and the rest of the league is wrong. It's always the same tune. Peters was overrated, even though the rest of the league considers him the best LT in the game. We raped the Ravens on the Evans trade - never mind that that organization seems to know what it's doing. The 49ers have a top-3 defense, but man, did they bite the big one signing Whitner. We're all geniuses, and those other teams are just lucky to win games despite their idiocy. Right....

Mostly correct. Except that Wilson is better. On a bad defense, Wilson played at a pro bowl level. Whitner is a decent player but he was a really bad fit here. He is right where he belongs, as a complementary part an extremely talented defense where practically everyone else makes the big plays and his inability to cover and his lack of size in the run game aren't an issue. Instead, he gets to showcase his big hits.

When Marv stepped in as GM in 2006, it really wasn't to replace Donahoe. After all, Donahoe had been the true decision maker for the Bills and had developed a reputation as an autocrat by the time he was let go after the 2005 season. To drive the point home that Marv was a delegate rather than a dictator he ran those 2 drafts that he oversaw on a consensus basis. The idea was to draft players that everyone could live with rather than a player that some in the room were opposed to taking.

When the Bills were on the clock back in April of 2006, there were some in the room who wanted Jay Cutler. Some wanted H. Ngata. Some wanted B. Bunkley. Some wanted him to trade down as there were reportedly offers on the table from both the Eagles and Eagles. Whitner was a guy that everyone in the room could live with. While his upside was limited, he had a very low risk of being a bust.

He was and is a good player -- but he never lived up to the status of having been the #8 player taken in the draft. Safeties drafted that high are expected to be like Ed Reed -- not merely good players.

We complain around here a lot about all of the first round busts -- and certainly have been plenty of them. However, too many of our first rounders -- Winfield, Nate, Willis, Whitner, and Lynch -- all wind up playing on different teams. It's like the Bills know that they can draft RBs and DBs well, so they never try to keep them. That is why they are never in the process of building a team that has any sort of staying power.

I'm with you on the Bills not keeping good players. And the term bust is too vague to describe Whitner's time in Buffalo, but Whitner was an abject failure as the #8 overall pick. It wasn't his fault that he was picked about 3 rounds to early, but he talked loud and did very little which made him a huge target for dissatisfied Bills fans.

And in the case of most of those players the Bills have lost, the Bills did not have adequate talent on the roster to replace them and then made matters worse by expending precious early round picks to replace their contributions. I mean, who cares if you lose Pat Williams if you have starters who are clearly better than him and depth with excellent potential?

The Bills clearly did at safety. George Wilson is a better player. Period. Bryan Scott is better in run defense and has a better nose for the ball. D'Norris Searcy has size and ball skills Donte does not have....he has more potential.

Those 3 players basically cost the Bills one 4th round pick.....COMBINED. It's an easy position to fill. If someone is picking a player that high as a safety that guy has to be a superstar safety. Whtiner was good enough to make pro bowl alternate in his 6th year. Of all the players the Bills have overdrafted then lost in FA or traded for scraps Whitner is the very last one to lament.

I don't think letting Donte Whitner go was a mistake. George Wilson was a better player and deserved to start. I don't think getting voted to the Pro Bowl changes that.

But at the same time, I think it's interesting to see all these ex-Bills finding success elsewhere.

Donte Whitner makes the Pro Bowl for San Francisco

Aaron Maybin is racking up sacks for the Jets

Marshawn Lynch has over 1,000 yards rushing and 12 touchdowns for Seattle

Jason Peters is having an incredible year for Philadelphia

Poz has continued to play well in Jacksonville

A lot of people have said that coaching is a huge problem in Buffalo. Failing to maximize talent is a strong example of that.

Great coaching staff huh?

Is this the same great coaching staff that coaxed him away from Cincy because they knew he would turn a crappy team into a team with a first round bye? And what about Cincy? A team with a great defense that Donte would have put over the top. The bidding war for Donte resulted in one team struggling to get into the playoffs and another 2nd seeding to only the Packers. If Cincy got Donte they would have the bye.

I really don't get your post. The great coaching staffs want Donte but Donte stinks? Why would a great coaching staff want a guy that stinks? And I suppose the Bills have a crappy coaching staff that wanted Donte to walk right?

So the Bills crappy staff knows more than the 9ers great staff?

None of this makes any sense. You should read stuff before clicking the "add reply" button.

I love chess! Do you play? If so lets play sometime. I am Globetrekker on www.redhotpawn.com. There is a cool speed chess setup there too (blitz)

Hey Pete. I'm afraid you'd checkmate me in little or no time.

My chess question was an allusion to an earlier thread about Whitner, in which a facetious analogy was made between football players and chess pieces (by our resident agent provocateur).

I'd love to become proficient at chess someday but I'm afraid I don't have the mind for it.

Happy New Year, Pete!

Great coaching staff huh?

Is this the same great coaching staff that coaxed him away from Cincy because they knew he would turn a crappy team into a team with a first round bye? And what about Cincy? A team with a great defense that Donte would have put over the top. The bidding war for Donte resulted in one team struggling to get into the playoffs and another 2nd seeding to only the Packers. If Cincy got Donte they would have the bye.

I really don't get your post. The great coaching staffs want Donte but Donte stinks? Why would a great coaching staff want a guy that stinks? And I suppose the Bills have a crappy coaching staff that wanted Donte to walk right?

So the Bills crappy staff knows more than the 9ers great staff?

None of this makes any sense. You should read stuff before clicking the "add reply" button.

Your logic is laughable here. You are saying that because the 9rs have a great coaching staff, and that staff brought in Whitner, that Whitner must be great? Wow that's a stretch. Belichick brought in Chad Johnson, that means he must be a pro bowler this year too right?

Besides, it's always funny when people use coaches and FO's interchangeably. The FO being primarily responsible for player acquisitions, and coaches responsible for COACHING. For instance the Bills were never seriously competing to keep Whitner (Obviously I was fine with this), they have long avoided keeping players by giving them large contracts. That has NOTHING to do with the Bills coaching staff.

My post wasn't complicated, it's not hard to understand. I watched most of the 9rs games this year, Whitner played just like he did for the Bills (poorly). The difference is the players around him are MUCH better, and the coaching staff has a great scheme. He is reaping the benefits of having the name recognition of a 1st round pick, and playing behind a group of players that are much better than himself. All just my opinion of course, made from watching the games.

Like I said before Wilson outplayed him when healthy...Few people have argued that. Not much about that post that's hard to understand. You are defending your thread that people didn't agree with. Don't take it personally, it happens, you are still welcome to your opinion. But you aren't going to force people to agree with you using twisted logic, and flipping out about real observations...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

This post is ridiculous man... Why's it called Donte Whitner? Are you telling me 8 people on the 49ers are going to the pro bowl cuz of Donte Whitner? Bills fans have "finally" lost their minds... I know we're fiending for a playoff berth but we gotta chill with this nonsense... Losing Donte didn't affect Buffalo Bills defense at all... It only affected twitter... That's it... Losing Poz and Donte and Lee Evans come on man... Love the uniform not the player... They're not with us anymore... F em' is what I say... Let's focus on what we DO have... If we actually lose productive players then I understand your arguments... Like if we release Barnett next year... Or Dareus or Fred Jackson or Spiller or Justin Rogers (right when he shows spark of being a returner for us) then I understand... Whitner was ok... He missed tackles... Poz was a beast in the 4-3 but couldn't transfer his skills to the 3-4 and I alwayz felt we were ok without Lee Evans and it turned out to be true... We have ALOT of work to do as far as holes being filled on our team so let's focus on who we DO have... Who we NEED to get... and who we NEED to keep... Those posts are wlcome... I'm tired of Donte man... Let the guy be...

I don't think letting Donte Whitner go was a mistake. George Wilson was a better player and deserved to start. I don't think getting voted to the Pro Bowl changes that.

But at the same time, I think it's interesting to see all these ex-Bills finding success elsewhere.

Donte Whitner makes the Pro Bowl for San Francisco

Aaron Maybin is racking up sacks for the Jets

Marshawn Lynch has over 1,000 yards rushing and 12 touchdowns for Seattle

Jason Peters is having an incredible year for Philadelphia

Poz has continued to play well in Jacksonville

A lot of people have said that coaching is a huge problem in Buffalo. Failing to maximize talent is a strong example of that.

Ummmmm Donte DIDN'T make the Pro Bowl by the way..........