Donte Whitner

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People are odd.

I started a thread pointing out how Whitner had turned around the 9ers and people came up with all sorts of crazy comments. Unless you have a thick skin you may want to take down this thread and/or find my old thread and put it there so the negativity isn't all focused on you.

I'm sorry, but the guy is still a very average player, and has benefited from being in an excellent defense.

He's not a playmaker of any kind and certainly doesn't belong in a discussion with the league's top-15 safeties.

Ask the 49ers if they'd rather have Whitner or George Wilson (or Byrd)? They would send Whitner on the first plane out of San Fran for George Wilson.

People are odd.

I started a thread pointing out how Whitner had turned around the 9ers and people came up with all sorts of crazy comments. Unless you have a thick skin you may want to take down this thread and/or find my old thread and put it there so the negativity isn't all focused on you.

Thank you my wax-eating friend.

I vividly remember the construction of your fine thread… the sports car and chess analogies and some discussion of hair and the part it plays in the public's perception of defensive back play.

I sometimes wonder if the boo boo taser incident affected Whitner's play in Buffalo.

Anyways I'm glad that we didn't re-sign him because we all know what happens to Buffalo Bills who sign lucrative new contracts (see Fitz and Kyle Williams).

It's amazing that a scary talent like Lil Donte was on the market for so long. It should be clear to every Billls fan that George Wilson is twice the safety that LDont is.

Crayonz, saying Donte turned the 49ers defense around is like saying James Starks made Rodgers a better QB. It's a ridiculous statement.

I was always a huge Donte Whitner supporter. I thought the Bills made a big mistake. I didn't see the light until a few weeks went by this season. George Wilson is clearly better than Whitner. He makes plays. I still say Whitner is better against the run and more versatile. But as far as overall and being a difference maker, clearly Wilson.

I was always a huge Donte Whitner supporter. I thought the Bills made a big mistake. I didn't see the light until a few weeks went by this season. George Wilson is clearly better than Whitner. He makes plays. I still say Whitner is better against the run and more versatile. But as far as overall and being a difference maker, clearly Wilson.

You are correct through your entire assessment.

Whitner is much better against the run than Wilson. And we needed that when our Run D/Front 7 was so bad. With the simple addition of Dareus, and a couple of LBs we have freed up Wilson to make other types of plays. Had we not added to the middle of the D with Dareus, Barnett, etc Wilson would have been absolutely destroyed this year, and Scott would be the starting SS.

I also dont believe Whitner would have made the types of plays Wilson has to force turnovers even with additions to the D.

I don't know about that. I always see Wilson flying around and making big tackles on running plays.

Whitner, if I recall, would just get pancaked by RB's, or make tackles 10 yards down field.

I'm not willing to give Whitner any advantage over Wilson. Wilson has made more plays this season than Whitner has in his entire career.

Yes - the Bills and their fans are right, and the rest of the league is wrong. It's always the same tune. Peters was overrated, even though the rest of the league considers him the best LT in the game. We raped the Ravens on the Evans trade - never mind that that organization seems to know what it's doing. The 49ers have a top-3 defense, but man, did they bite the big one signing Whitner. We're all geniuses, and those other teams are just lucky to win games despite their idiocy. Right....

He has a good cast around him. Congrats to him.

Think if the Bills hung on to all their average players who go to other teams and play well. (Due totally to the good cast around them.) Might actually have an average team that makes the playoffs periodically. What a novel idea.

Edited by Saratoga Leo

The probowl is a popularity contest. How many fans around the country even know who former UDFA WR now converted safety George Wilson is? Yet everyone knows Whitners name because he was a top 10 pick.

If watching Whitner all those years and now Wilson this year didnt clue you in to how vastly superior Wilson was and is then you will never get it.

The probowl is a popularity contest. How many fans around the country even know who former UDFA WR now converted safety George Wilson is? Yet everyone knows Whitners name because he was a top 10 pick.

If watching Whitner all those years and now Wilson this year didnt clue you in to how vastly superior Wilson was and is then you will never get it.

I also think you are missing the real point - team success. America didn't know who whitner was when he was picked or when he played for mediocre teams.

The Niners have 4 defensive players voted as starters in the Pro Bowl… Carlos Rogers, Justin Smith, Patrick Willis, and Dashon Goldson.

Besides Whitner, they have 3 other defenders who were voted as alternates… Navorro Bowman, Ahmad Brooks, and Ray McDonald.

On top of that they have prize rookie Aldon Smith (14 sacks) who won't be going to the Pro Bowl and a bunch of other solid defenders like Isaac Sopoaga and Parys Haralson.

One thing is pretty clear… Donte has a much better supporting cast than he did in Buffalo.

It's fair to say that like Jim Leonhard, Whitner can thrive on a good defensive team.

I think it's pretty clear also that he's not a difference maker on a weak defensive team.