Marcell Dareus

DaveinElma

Both D and KW are DTs in a 4-3! Anything else wil limit their success and strengths.

If you think Dareus and K. Williams are your 2 best defensive players then you should be playing a 4-3. That would lead to focusing the draft on the best-player-available at DE or OLB to improve the defense. Let see if the teams coaching staff and braintrust reaches the same conclusion that many here, including myself, believe is the most logical path to pursue...

Both D and KW are DTs in a 4-3! Anything else wil limit their success and strengths.

Do you have some reasoning for believing this? Or just going with the "the opposite of what we are doing must be better" routine..

KW made his only pro bowl as a 3-4 NT (although he was admittedly very good in the 4-3 as well)...

Dareus can play anywhere on a 3-4 line and played in a 3-4 in college, he is probably LESS familiar with a 4-3...

I would hardly say their "success and strengths" have been limited by scheme. I wouldn't be surprised to see KW back at NT and Dareus at end.

We NEED to get rid of George Edwards though, so I guess it depends on what they do on that front...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

All of your points are good BUT, we've tried them all... 4-3 3-4 even Tampa 2 and a bunch of hybrid type defenses... Not just this year either.... We've had GREAT NT's in Sam Adams, Pat Williams and so on... I put MOST of the losses on the play of the defense just like everyone else but, the offense is not gonna get away that easy... Fitz and the receivers couldn't hold up to the bargain either... The only position that was consistent all year was the running back position... IMO that's the ONLY position that's a "lock"... Everyone else should worry about their position being taken by someone else... Dareus and Barnett are also locks in their positions... I hope next year will be better just like we hope the next year will be better all the time around this time of year... Very frustrating and all we can do is hope for the best... IDC if we create a new defense noone's heard of, whatever it takes to make the playoffs then I'm for it... I was on the let's go 3-4 defense bandwagon ever since we got Gailey and staff but it's not working... Maybe we just need to beef up a bit more and still stick with the 3-4 and we'll be good... IDK... Either way next year for Gailey is playoffs or bust... It's just the cold hard truth... I'm all for even giving him a 4th season to coach us as long as he gives us promise of a great team next year but if the same up and down stuff happen next year? Then he gotta go...

they can still run a 34 and have them both playing with the same gap responsibilities as a true 43 but in a more 34 alignment. it wont be a true 34 with a big fatty clogging the middle but i think without switching back to a true 43 that would be the best option.

Yet our defense is among the worst in the league.

As it was with a healthy Kyle Williams in 2010.

Get rid of George Edwards!

Why the Bills converted to a 3-4 in 2010 remains one of the biggest obstacles to rebuilding that defense and the team. Buddy Nix and his staff forced that upon the coaches and after so many draft picks and UFA dollars, appear no closer to a good defense than the DJ/Fewell unit in 2009.

Kyle Williams is best served as a 1 or 3 tech in a 43, not as a 1 gap 34 NT.

Edited by BillsVet

Who's down on Dareus?

Several posters have claimed he's a disappointment. Some have even said "the jury is still out on him."

The kid is really good, and has been playing on a bad wheel all season long (or at least, most of the season). I can't wait to see him next year, next to a better-than-ever Kyle Williams (after addressing his heel spur issue that has plagued him since college).

Moving forward is he a DE or NT? What happens to Williams if Dareus goe to NT?

I think they should drop the 3-4 (since anyways they play more of 4-3) and have Williams and Dareus be DTs...Then have Kelsay be a DE and stop pretending that he can be a pass rushing OLB....Then draft a blue chip DE for pass rushing...Backup will be Kyle Arrington.

And then finally make Wannstedt the DC to run the traditional 4-3.....We have to STOP THE RUN.....This team has no chance if they cannot stop the Run and also not run the ball. It has a game manager @ the QB, not a Drew Brees or Tom Brady

Edited by ganesh