Bills compensatory draft picks in 2012

PromoTheRobot

Does anyone know the formula the NFL uses for handing out extra draft picks? Doesn't it have something to do with where the players lost were drafted? Whitner was a first rounder and Poz was a second. 2 more decent picks would be a nice addition in the draft. Might give us some flexibility to trade up with our non-comp picks.

PTR

Well, in 2011 these were the rules.

This year, the compensatory picks will be positioned within the third through seventh rounds based on the value of the compensatory free agents lost.

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula.

Twenty one compensatory picks were awarded to clubs based upon the compensatory pick formula. By rule, 11 additional choices were awarded at the end of the seventh round to bring the total number of compensatory selections to 32, equaling the number of NFL clubs. The 11 additional picks were awarded to Carolina, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Denver, Cleveland, Arizona, San Francisco, Tennessee, Dallas, Washington and Houston based upon the 2011 draft selection order.

Official NFL Press Release on 2011 compensatory picks.

Last year, Carolina got a pick in the 3rd round by losing Julius Peppers and AJ Feely without signing any FAs.

Baltimore got two 5ths based on losing Dwan Edwads and Justin Bannan.

Tennessee got a 4th based on losing Alge Cumpler and Kyle VandenBosch (while signing Jason Babin) and Green Bay got a 4th for losing Aaron Kampman.

I don't know where those players were drafted. I'm too lazy to look it up.

Merry Christmas

If you lose a 1st rounder you are supposed to get more than a 7th.

PTR

The highest picks, at least in the last two years, third round.

Maybin was also first round right?

Maybin was cut, not a FA loss. Nothing for him. Except of course regrets for drafting him in the first place.

Maybin was also first round right?

Maybin was waived. We get no compensation for that.

We should be able to get more than a 7th for Whitner. I am betting a fourth for Whitner and a 6th for Puz.

We signed Barnett, a former #1, so that may cancel something.

Edited by Bob in STL

Well, in 2011 these were the rules.

This year, the compensatory picks will be positioned within the third through seventh rounds based on the value of the compensatory free agents lost.

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula.

Twenty one compensatory picks were awarded to clubs based upon the compensatory pick formula. By rule, 11 additional choices were awarded at the end of the seventh round to bring the total number of compensatory selections to 32, equaling the number of NFL clubs. The 11 additional picks were awarded to Carolina, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Denver, Cleveland, Arizona, San Francisco, Tennessee, Dallas, Washington and Houston based upon the 2011 draft selection order.

Official NFL Press Release on 2011 compensatory picks.

Last year, Carolina got a pick in the 3rd round by losing Julius Peppers and AJ Feely without signing any FAs.

Baltimore got two 5ths based on losing Dwan Edwads and Justin Bannan.

Tennessee got a 4th based on losing Alge Cumpler and Kyle VandenBosch (while signing Jason Babin) and Green Bay got a 4th for losing Aaron Kampman.

I don't know where those players were drafted. I'm too lazy to look it up.

Merry Christmas

Okay, if I read these correctly we will likely not get a pick for losing Poz since we signed Barnett. We did not sign any DBs to replace Whitner. Does LB Morrison count? I doubt Whitner would net us a 3rd, though I'm sure Donte would argue he's worth at least that.

PTR

We should be able to get more than a 7th for Whitner. I am betting a fourth for Whitner and a 6th for Puz.

I think Barnett was released and may not count as a FA signing. Not sure, though.

Just thinking out loud , is there anything against the team as far as receiving a pick if the team released or just let a player go with out trying to resign them like in the case with Maybin & Whitner ???

Because technically we did get rid of them in a sense !!!

just as Maybin was waived, so too was Barnett. he was entering the 4th year of a 6 yr/35 mil deal extension.

we did sign Thigpen & Brad Smith, both UFA's. however, the picks are determined by salary & playing time, not where they were drafted. Poz & Whitner were both full-time starters, with 6 yr/45 mil & 3 yr/12 mil deals respectively. Thigpen has only sniffed the field in mop-up duty and Smith hasn't exactly been a full-time player with 3 yr/11 mil & 4 yr/15 mil deals.

the Bills should be in line for a decent comp pick or two.

Its the same way every single year. People ask what the formula is. I dont know it exactly but after seeing it for years if you haven't lost more then you gained in number of players your most likely not going to get more then a 7th round draft pick. For instance if we signed 2 FA's and lost 4 we are more then likely going to get a compensatory pick or two but if we signed 2 and only lost one no matter who that one is were not getting anything. I know that people you waived or signed off of waivers do not count towards the formula.

For instance we signed Nick Barnett but he will not count towards the formula because he was released by Green Bay. The same can be said for Aaron Maybin.

The Bills 2011 Free Agents were:

Donte Whitner(S) signed with San Francisco(FA lost)

Paul Pozluszny(LB)signed with Jacksonville(FA lost)

John McCargo(DT) ???? (Wont Qualify)

Keith Ellison(LB) ??? (Most likely wont qualify)

Drayton Florence(CB) Resigned by the Bills

Ashton Youboty(CB) Signed by Jacksonville late in the season(Wont Qualify)

So in essence we have lost two FA's this year

Bills signed:

Tyler Thigpen(QB)

Brad Smith (WR)

Nick Barnett(LB) doesn't qualify

Kirk Morrison (LB) most likely wont qualify

So in essence, while my numbers aren't correct most likely we lost the same # of FA's as we lost which means I would not suspect we are going to get more then 1 draft pick in compensatory and it will most likely be a 6th or 7th rounder. Plus, like last year there has to be 32 Comp picks so if there are not 32 teams worthy of comp picks 7th rounders are handed out to teams starting with the 1st pick until there have been 32 given out. That means that Buffalo could get an additional 7th rounder because of that but I wouldn't bank on it because we are going to be drafting somewhere between 9-11.

Does anyone know the formula the NFL uses for handing out extra draft picks? Doesn't it have something to do with where the players lost were drafted? Whitner was a first rounder and Poz was a second. 2 more decent picks would be a nice addition in the draft. Might give us some flexibility to trade up with our non-comp picks.

PTR

Has nothing to do with the round the players were drafted, but instead more to do with their salary. The Bills also signed Tyler Thigpen & Brad Smith who will offset most or all of the losses from Whitner and Poz.

Compensatory picks

In addition to the 32 picks in each round, there are a total of 32 picks awarded at the ends of Rounds 3 through 7. These picks, known as "compensatory picks," are awarded to teams that have lost more qualifying free agents than they gained the previous year in free agency. Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick.

If fewer than 32 such picks are awarded, the remaining picks are awarded in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical eighth round of the draft (These are known as "supplemental compensatory selections").

Compensatory picks are awarded each year at the NFL annual meeting which is held at the end of March; typically, about three or four weeks before the draft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Draft#Compensatory_picks

They'll probably end up with a 7th rounder because Poz signed for so much.

Edited by Carey Bender

It seems that NE* gets better than 7th rounders for people they let go, or maybe that is just my bias speaking again.

No, it's not your bias speaking again. "New England has been a league leader in compensatory selections since 2000, making a total of 24 since the Bill Belichick era began" as per the recent Bleacher Report article that details their picks the last decade or so. What surprises me about this is that while the Pats* often get their steals via trades (Moss, Welker, Ochosucko and Haynesworthless this year), the Pats* DO sign FA's--look at Adalius Thomas (the biggest FA of his offseason)or Roosevelt Colvin (another highly sought after FA), for ex. I'd have expected someone like the Steelers to be higher in comp picks, since they lose decent players periodically (Burress and Holmes both come to mind) and are almost never FA players.

As they say in Animal Farm, "all animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." That about sums up the Pats* relationship to the NFL in most things, including comp. picks.....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/628363-new-england-patriots-recent-history-of-compensatory-draft-picks

Okay, if I read these correctly we will likely not get a pick for losing Poz since we signed Barnett. We did not sign any DBs to replace Whitner. Does LB Morrison count? I doubt Whitner would net us a 3rd, though I'm sure Donte would argue he's worth at least that.

PTR

Good one! :lol::beer:

I think we'll get something - probably a 5th.

There are three parts and it's VERY easy but no one explains it well...

1) how many FA signings do you have? How many lost? Quality matters in no way here. If you gained bodies stop here. Lose Brady and sign two special teamers and you aren't eligible. Equal numbers and you can only get a single 7th rounder. Lose more and proceed to step two....

2) line up your signings in salary order, and your loses likewise. Do your best to kind of match up players. Not exact but closest salaries are what your looking for. When you match every signing to someone you lost, you will have 1 or more losses not crossed off- these are the guys will receive picks for.

3) fit these guys in the following salary slots (I'm going to give rough numbers, might be off a decent chunk on a few but I'm going off memory from a year ago) - they say that it's honors, playing time, etc... It's not. It's dollars and if you took last years cutoffs and add 5-10% to each boundary I promise you could 100% pick every teams comps with total accuracy before the season starts yet alone after.

League min - 7th

1mill-2.5 --- 6th

2.5-- 4m --- 5th

4 - 6.5m --- 4th

6.5m+ --- 3rd

Every team gets assigned their picks for net losses. If less than 32 are assigned, the remaining balance are assigned as follows:

Break-even teams are given 7th rounders at the end in order of quality in vs out (10 million lost, 5 million signed but 3 guys each side would go higher than 10 spent, 10 lost)

If there are still picks left in the 32 pick allotment an 8th round essentially begins until all are taken.