Ralph Wilson optimistic Toronto series will be renewed

Is it true that as long as we play in Toronto (our "International" game) that we can't ever play the London game?

If that's true - damn, damn, damn.

Believe me, I've been to the London game and you arent missing out on anything. It's a poorly organized, atmosphereless event. NFL Europe was so much more fun then the London game as the fans were really into it. With the NFL London game people just come and watch a game without emotional attachment.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Ralph, either you chose a really bad time to tell us this or you just liking screwing with us.

Gosh I hate this guy more and more everyday.

"patience" and injuries as an excuse just don't cut it after all this time. we've heard it all so many times before. there is not now nor never has been a burning desire to win on the field for wilson. he has to be one of the most successful shysters in the history of the world...but at least he's predictable.

a commitment to winning is all that franchise needs, forget toronto

Being a winner in Buffalo means you are in Buffalo...nothing more. Having Toronto as part of the Bills market makes us a legit NFL market. Besides I've been through the Super Bowl era and I know being a winner doesn't guarantee sellouts. I recall several December games, even January playoff games, where either Ch.2 or Ralph himself had to buy the last 5K tickets to lift a blackout.

PTR

They are a bit slow, but they get open. They aren't THAT bad. Look at our OLBs. That IS a very, unspeakably bad unit. Our pass rush makes rookies and scrubs look like Joe Montana.

Every single year I can be counted upon to ask for blockers in the draft. I still want them, but our biggest need is OLB. We have none.

Bill,

I agree with that our biggest need is OLB/DE (depending on which defense we are in). We need edge rushers. Pressure from the outside will make everyone else look better.

Second, and a close second, is legitimate flanker/ Z reciever. Donald Jones is not the answer, neither is anyone else on the current roster.

We need more speed from this position. This is a position that shoudl averag eat least 15 yrds per catch.

Bill,

I agree with that our biggest need is OLB/DE (depending on which defense we are in). We need edge rushers. Pressure from the outside will make everyone else look better.

Second, and a close second, is legitimate flanker/ Z reciever. Donald Jones is not the answer, neither is anyone else on the current roster.

We need more speed from this position. This is a position that shoudl averag eat least 15 yrds per catch.

No doubt Bob, but the Bills LB corps is as bad as the OL used to be. Mind you they are not great as we speak, but players such as Pears, Urbik, Levitre, Bell, and Woods at least can play at a professional level. At this point (imo), Barnett is the only NFL caliber LB on the entire team. This is obviously beyond unacceptable.

The good news is that LBs are not that tough to draft, especially this season. There are 3 at Alabama that I think will be solid, if not stars.

I hope that Gailey/Nix go right to Bama and load up the truck.

Being a winner in Buffalo means you are in Buffalo...nothing more. Having Toronto as part of the Bills market makes us a legit NFL market. Besides I've been through the Super Bowl era and I know being a winner doesn't guarantee sellouts. I recall several December games, even January playoff games, where either Ch.2 or Ralph himself had to buy the last 5K tickets to lift a blackout.

PTR

So true. People have short memories about this situation. Season ticket holders don't sign up to buy post season games. They CAN but a lot don't. The famous Houston come back play-off game was blacked out here even as the Bills went 11-5 after two straight SB appearances. W/O Toronto we are NOT an NFL market.

Edited by '64 Bills

So true. People have short memories about this situation. Season ticket holders don't sign up to buy post season games. They CAN but a lot don't. The famous Houston come back play-off game was blacked out here even as the Bills went 11-5 after two straight SB appearances. W/O Toronto we are NOT an NFL market.

I remember the 94 AFC Championship vs the Chiefs. I was unemployed and I shoveled snow at RWS just so I could earn money for a $50 ticket. Ralph Wilson gave every shoveler their pay PLUS a ticket to the game because he had to buy the last 5,000 unsold tickets to the game. So I laugh when people say all it takes for people to show up is be a winner. By the '94 people were already boycotting the Bills for losing the first 3 championships.

PTR

If you believe that you FAIL to understand that that NFL is a business. The Toronto series offsets the revenue lost from lack of luxury boxes. Sure it sucks but it helps keep the Bills if Buffalo.

So sick of hearing that crap. They could play on the moon and the NFL would still be getting BILLIONS from TV. The Ralph could be totally empty and Ralph Wilson would still get enough money from the TV deals to pay the whole payroll. This crap about keeping them in Buffalo if they don't market to Toronto is bunk. The threat to move any team solely comes from the owner wanting to maximize profits with more extra money in his pocket, that's it nothing more.

The money owners receive from TV deals plus shared marketing money and everything else that the NFL cash engine is, is more than enough to make them stoopid wealthy. The money received from ticket sales, luxury box sales, concessions, parking, etc is nothing more than pocket change to these guys.

Oh yeah the blackout rule has to go to. Nothing like holding fans hostage. There should be a law against being able to to that.

Edited by FreakPop

I understand what Mr. Wilson is saying. That it might take a 'several more years' to build a contender. In principal I have no problem with that statement. But in the context of the Bills the problem is we've heard this before. And the recent history of the team has not rewarded our patience.

So why is this time going to turn out different?

...it is going to be different this time because fans are really going to get a kick out of Bills football:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHpvpcCJmVw

So sick of hearing that crap. They could play on the moon and the NFL would still be getting BILLIONS from TV. The Ralph could by ft be totally empty and Ralph Wilson would still get enough money from the TV deals to pay the whole payroll. This crap about keeping them in Buffalo if they don't market to Toronto is bunk. The threat to move any team solely comes from the owner wanting to maximize profits with more extra money in his pocket, that's it nothing more.

The money owners receive from TV deals plus shared marketing money and everything else that the NFL cash engine is, is more than enough to make them stoopid wealthy. The money received from ticket sales, luxury box sales, concessions, parking, etc is nothing more than pocket change to these guys.

Oh yeah the blackout rule has to go to. Nothing like holding fans hostage. There should be a law against being able to to that.

Just because you don't want to believe something doesn't make it false. You think NFL team owners get in a meeting room and say "Haven't we made enough money?" Aren't Jerry Jones and Bob Kraft mad at Ralph for not selling naming rights to RWS? Toronto is the only reason the NFL would consider leaving the Bills where they are. It certainly isn't for the crowds of 40,000 at December home games.

Stick your fingers in your ears and shut your eyes, but it doesn't go away.

PTR

Just because you don't want to believe something doesn't make it false. You think NFL team owners get in a meeting room and say "Haven't we made enough money?" Aren't Jerry Jones and Bob Kraft mad at Ralph for not selling naming rights to RWS? Toronto is the only reason the NFL would consider leaving the Bills where they are. It certainly isn't for the crowds of 40,000 at December home games.

Stick your fingers in your ears and shut your eyes, but it doesn't go away.

PTR

I don't believe it one bit. I believe the NFL and it's owners have you and the masses snowed, and believe me that is just how they want it. The Bills are totally viable in Buffalo.

C'mon $6 billion from ESPN alone for the next 10 years. What about NBC, CBS, FOX, Direct TV? For people to believe that the Bills need Toronto's money to stay viable in the area is BS.

Edited by FreakPop

I don't believe it one bit. I believe the NFL and it's owners have you and the masses snowed, and believe me that is just how they want it. The Bills are totally viable in Buffalo.

C'mon $6 billion from ESPN alone for the next 10 years. What about NBC, CBS, FOX, Direct TV? For people to believe that the Bills need Toronto's money to stay viable in the area is BS.

I believe you are correct on this. Also, as for the naming rights BS. Uh, wasn't Ralph one of the first if not the first owner to SELL the naming rights to the stadium? Ah yes RICH stadium was groundbreaking. Of course now Ralph has a 180 view and, will gladly not take an extra 2 million a year. So he can have his name on a taxpayer owned stadium.

Also, as for the naming rights BS. Uh, wasn't Ralph one of the first if not the first owner to SELL the naming rights to the stadium? Ah yes RICH stadium was groundbreaking. Of course now Ralph has a 180 view and, will gladly not take an extra 2 million a year. So he can have his name on a taxpayer owned stadium.

No. This is incorrect.

The Erie County which owns the stadium sold the naming rights to Rich Products.

When the Bills gained control of the naming rights through the stadium lease, they chose not to sell them.

"patience" and injuries as an excuse just don't cut it after all this time. we've heard it all so many times before. there is not now nor never has been a burning desire to win on the field for wilson. he has to be one of the most successful shysters in the history of the world...but at least he's predictable.

+

+

:huh: +

youtube.com/watch?v=Q3bliBxJ8Ck

I'm assuming you didn't make this video, it is absolutely horrible taste to put in the clips of both Malarchuk and Everrett. These were life threatening situations that led to life altering for both men. Makes me sick to see them in a video like this. Like I said, not saying you did it, but is horrible to say the least.

As far as this whole Ralph thing with Toronto you guys are freaking kidding yourselves. Since the day this was announced back in 07-08 I have always said to myself I can't wait until this 5 year stint is over and we can get back to normal business. Hoping we would be done with it, but always deep down knowing that when the 5 years passed by if Ralph was still around and owning the team I k ew it would be renewed. I can't believe no one here has commented on the part where the spokeswoman said they would have liked to add another game "if the NFL added to an 18 game schedule". That should worry you, it worries me that no matter what happened with the schedule in the NFL CBA agreements, the people calling the shots in Toronto wanted another game. They might make Ralph an offer for TONS of cash to get that second game. Where will we all be as fans then???

The other thing that really annoys me is people here or at work, the stores, family and anyone else saying things like "I'll come back when you build a winner","I'll start buying tickets when you put a competitive team on the field". Yeah, Ralph could spend more money that's true. But don't think for a minute they have not tried to put together winning teams in the past. The signings and/or overpaying of the following is proof they have at least tried: Schobel, Dockery, Walker, Owens, Kelsey, Merriman, Spikes, Fletcher, McGahee, Evans, Peters, etc... It's the guys like Peters and McGahee that bring down the franchise when they are money hungry scrubs. Both of these guys were nothing or were expected to be nothing for whatever reason and we took a chance in them when no one else would (I know, McGahee would have been picked up by someone), Peters was renegotiated 2 times and only when he refused to show up for camps and practices were we content in letting him go.

Guys like Schobel, Evans, McGee all had thier shots to be good players and were payed like it yet always dissapointed in the stat column. None of those guys ever turned the corner after they were renegotiated like we expected them to. It's tje same situation were in with Stevie now, pay him or lose him and there's nothing showing that he won't or can't get better so you have to pay him what he thinks he will become.

Other players were attempted to be brought in, Clabo being the most recent yet he wanted to stay with his previous franchise. This kind of thing happens all the time. Were not the only team having these downfalls. Hell, it happened with the Jets this year when they lost out to Nmandi Asamhou (however spelled). It happens all the time.

I work near NYC and listen to NY radio as much as I do wgr, or read this and they (listeners and hosts) are just as delusional, optimistic, pessimistic, disgusted with thier teams as we are. Everyone complains all day about thier teams unless your a fan of whoever is leading the league that particular year. This year your ok if your a Packers, Saints, 49ers fan. Next year it'll be the Falcons and Texans.

Who frigging cares?!?!? All that matters is that I get to enjoy football 7-9 times a year, guaranteed. In person, with my friends, when the rest of the entire world is watching from thier crumby TVs. Yeah, I know, I have two 55+ inch HDTVs and the picture is great. It's not about that. It's about the experience of being at the game. It's about how the Ralph felt like it was going to fall apart when we came back to beat the Pats and the entire stadium was shaking. Or how you could see just as many people cheering and jumping around as you could tearing up with joy.

I have had season tickets since I moved back into town 6-7 years ago and I've been going to games for close to 20 years. I can't count how many games I've been to in my life. And I still get chills walking out of that tunnel to my seats every time I step foot into that stadium. Or the way I tear up when the entire place sings along with the National Anthem, or the amazement in the building when fighter jets fly over head, or the feeling I get when we win and the whole crowd is singing Sweet Caroline at the tips of thier lungs at the end of the game.

We all have the availability with how cheap the tickets are to be part of the most wanted sport in the US and possibly the world. As long as they are here in Buffalo I'll fork over my hard earned money to be a part of that experience. I can't think of anything I'd rather spend my money on. $400-500 over the course of 16 weeks isn't that much money. If it means an old man gets richer so be it. I'm glad he's here and hoping he lives another 90 years because we have no idea what's going to happen when he's gone.

Edited by mrags

I'm assuming you didn't make this video, it is absolutely horrible taste to put in the clips of both Malarchuk and Everrett. These were life threatening situations that led to life altering for both men. Makes me sick to see them in a video like this. Like I said, not saying you did it, but is horrible to say the least.

As far as this whole Ralph thing with Toronto you guys are freaking kidding yourselves. Since the day this was announced back in 07-08 I have always said to myself I can't wait until this 5 year stint is over and we can get back to normal business. Hoping we would be done with it, but always deep down knowing that when the 5 years passed by if Ralph was still around and owning the team I k ew it would be renewed. I can't believe no one here has commented on the part where the spokeswoman said they would have liked to add another game "if the NFL added to an 18 game schedule". That should worry you, it worries me that no matter what happened with the schedule in the NFL CBA agreements, the people calling the shots in Toronto wanted another game. They might make Ralph an offer for TONS of cash to get that second game. Where will we all be as fans then???

The other thing that really annoys me is people here or at work, the stores, family and anyone else saying things like "I'll come back when you build a winner","I'll start buying tickets when you put a competitive team on the field". Yeah, Ralph could spend more money that's true. But don't think for a minute they have not tried to put together winning teams in the past. The signings and/or overpaying of the following is proof they have at least tried: Schobel, Dockery, Walker, Owens, Kelsey, Merriman, Spikes, Fletcher, McGahee, Evans, Peters, etc... It's the guys like Peters and McGahee that bring down the franchise when they are money hungry scrubs. Both of these guys were nothing or were expected to be nothing for whatever reason and we took a chance in them when no one else would (I know, McGahee would have been picked up by someone), Peters was renegotiated 2 times and only when he refused to show up for camps and practices were we content in letting him go.

Guys like Schobel, Evans, McGee all had thier shots to be good players and were payed like it yet always dissapointed in the stat column. None of those guys ever turned the corner after they were renegotiated like we expected them to. It's tje same situation were in with Stevie now, pay him or lose him and there's nothing showing that he won't or can't get better so you have to pay him what he thinks he will become.

Other players were attempted to be brought in, Clabo being the most recent yet he wanted to stay with his previous franchise. This kind of thing happens all the time. Were not the only team having these downfalls. Hell, it happened with the Jets this year when they lost out to Nmandi Asamhou (however spelled). It happens all the time.

I work near NYC and listen to NY radio as much as I do wgr, or read this and they (listeners and hosts) are just as delusional, optimistic, pessimistic, disgusted with thier teams as we are. Everyone complains all day about thier teams unless your a fan of whoever is leading the league that particular year. This year your ok if your a Packers, Saints, 49ers fan. Next year it'll be the Falcons and Texans.

Who frigging cares?!?!? All that matters is that I get to enjoy football 7-9 times a year, guaranteed. In person, with my friends, when the rest of the entire world is watching from thier crumby TVs. Yeah, I know, I have two 55+ inch HDTVs and the picture is great. It's not about that. It's about the experience of being at the game. It's about how the Ralph felt like it was going to fall apart when we came back to beat the Pats and the entire stadium was shaking. Or how you could see just as many people cheering and jumping around as you could tearing up with joy.

I have had season tickets since I moved back into town 6-7 years ago and I've been going to games for close to 20 years. I can't count how many games I've been to in my life. And I still get chills walking out of that tunnel to my seats every time I step foot into that stadium. Or the way I tear up when the entire place sings along with the National Anthem, or the amazement in the building when fighter jets fly over head, or the feeling I get when we win and the whole crowd is singing Sweet Caroline at the tips of thier lungs at the end of the game.

We all have the availability with how cheap the tickets are to be part of the most wanted sport in the US and possibly the world. As long as they are here in Buffalo I'll fork over my hard earned money to be a part of that experience. I can't think of anything I'd rather spend my money on. $400-500 over the course of 16 weeks isn't that much money. If it means an old man gets richer so be it. I'm glad he's here and hoping he lives another 90 years because we have no idea what's going to happen when he's gone.

What does he care if he fields a competitive team or not. A few $50-$100 unbought tickets is peanuts/pocket change to Ralph as the money reeped by the TV deals dwarfs unbought tickets. Ralph is guaranteed hundreds of millions every year regardless if he has competitive teams or only sells 10,000 tickets per home game. In the grand scheme it is all about the negotiations with ESPN, FOX, CBS, NBC, DirectTV that keep him/all of the owners wealthy, not ticket sales. So again what does he care if his teams win or not!

Edited by FreakPop

What does he care if he fields a competitive team or not. A few $50-$100 unbought tickets is peanuts/pocket change to Ralph as the money reeped by the TV deals dwarfs unbought tickets. Ralph is guaranteed hundreds of millions every year regardless if he has competitive teams or only sells 10,000 tickets per home game. In the grand scheme it is all about the negotiations with ESPN, FOX, CBS, NBC, DirectTV that keep him/all of the owners wealthy, not ticket sales. So again what does he care if his teams win or not!

You know, Freak, you must be an MBA or something because you are sooooo smart. You have this NFL stuff all figured out. Yep, Ralph makes hundreds of millions of dollars and has absolutely no expenses of any kind.

PTR

You know, Freak, you must be an MBA or something because you are sooooo smart. You have this NFL stuff all figured out. Yep, Ralph makes hundreds of millions of dollars and has absolutely no expenses of any kind.

PTR

Nope, no MBA, not all that smart, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. You should try it, it can help you out! ;)

I remember the 94 AFC Championship vs the Chiefs. I was unemployed and I shoveled snow at RWS just so I could earn money for a $50 ticket. Ralph Wilson gave every shoveler their pay PLUS a ticket to the game because he had to buy the last 5,000 unsold tickets to the game. So I laugh when people say all it takes for people to show up is be a winner. By the '94 people were already boycotting the Bills for losing the first 3 championships.

PTR

While you're right about the Oilers game, I don't remember them having any problem selling out that Chiefs game. Although now that I think about it, you could be right - because the previous two games were the coldest two games in Bills history, everybody was thinking that the Chiefs game would be just as cold, so maybe tickets sold a little slower. (I know I had a lot of trouble finding hand warmers and such).

I thought Ralph gave the shovelers the tickets as an incentive to shovel. That week was freezing, wasn't it?