1931 8th grade test in West Virginia

Pete

What do you think is the answer to #3?

aggressive expansion, vast resources, fertile land, no enemies, only two bordering countrys, a melting pot of some great minds from all over the world, our constitution, forefathers, etc. I am short on time but can expand later

holy cats...is there a better example of why this country is a mess? Think we need to curb the military boner for awhile and start throwing money back into education.

Less a "money" problem than it is a "Who the hell teaches geography anymore?" problem. And a lot of those questions look harder because they're more applicable to the era and place - locally-focused, at the county level, from a time when people didn't often travel that far from home (particularly for work), and somewhat specific to the time (when New England had a textile industry, for example).

Plus..."what are the major and minor industries in your county?" Easier to answer 80 years ago, when there actually WERE industries.

Yes, I can't really say that I'm too well versed in WV health resorts.

You probably would be in 1931, pre-antibiotics. You'd probably have at least one tubercular relative who "took the air" at some spa or spent some time in a sanitarium.

aggressive expansion, vast resources, fertile land, no enemies, only two bordering countrys, a melting pot of some great minds from all over the world, our constitution, forefathers, etc. I am short on time but can expand later

When you do come back to explain, can you please put it in essay form while remembering to compare and contrast?

Thank-you.

And the ability to construct proper English sentences.

#3 from "Reading"

- Give one stanza of a poem from your favorite author.

What % of today's 8th graders have read any poetry of their own volition?

And the ability to construct proper English sentences sentence fragments.

Fixed it for ya :P

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

Aha! Reminds me of the old days in Oz. No multiple choice questions. We had to write whole sentences to prove we knew the answers. What a concept!!!

I know a few with master's degrees who couldn't answer most of those questions.

Aha! Reminds me of the old days in Oz. No multiple choice questions. We had to write whole sentences to prove we knew the answers. What a concept!!!

But then how do you know if kids are smart or dumb? Whole sentences can't be used in standardized testing, since they aren't an objective measurable. [/American education administrators]