Bills' Plan was sound

Justice

I wanted to like the OP's post and it started off excellent.....then I think things got a little fuzzy.....

- Chan for all intensive purposes IS the offensive coordinator....he is a HC that calls his own plays. Where it hurts him is if he is going to concentrate on the offensive side of the ball then he needs a STRONG DC on the defensive side so he can just turn him lose and focus on the offense. This HAS to be fixed this offseason.

- The trend I see in drafting is it is getting better every year.....that and we have been really unlucky with injuries to a couple of guys that were drafted. Troupe is NOT undersized as a pure nose at 340 pounds or whatever.....for some reason he lacks technique and strength to hold up in the middle and that has not been corrected.

- I am very high on Justin Rogers....both as a returner and as a corner....but better then Aaron Williams as a corner? No Aaron Williams has that size you cant teach is a darn good cover guy and a HITTER. Williams will end up being the better db.

- I personally dont think Nix plan was flawed.....we just didn't have the depth to overcome the injuries and for some reason Fitz is regressing.

You lost me at "coveted head coaching job."

This was confirmed as the burmuda triangle of coaching careers when mularchy told the organization to kiss off in 05 before seven more years of deterioration.

He lost me at ""A great offensive mind, no doubt"" :lol:

I'm still trying my best to figure out where these guys get this stuff from. If the Bills horrid defense doesn't get all those turnovers at the start of the year, how many games do the Bills win?

2-14 as OC in KC--- 9-21 as HC of the Bills---in his 6 years at GT. he never defeated Tech's biggest rival, the UoG, never won the ACC, never went to a BCS bowl, never won more than 9 games, and never finished in the top 25.

Chan Gailey "might" be an excellent HC "IF" he had hired the proper assistants OC &DC. He didn't!

Although, I wouldn't mind giving the man another year "IF" he hires a new OC & DC and just manages the game on Sundays. Leaves the playcalling to an assistant.

I think his post had some validity. Go back to Shanahan. Shanny listened to the Bills pitch and considered coming here but when it became clear that Ralph was bot going to give him the budget to improve the team and the control he desired, he walked away. I'm not saying he would have been the right choice. I am just saying that top guys like him would consider Buffalo if Ralph were to increase budget and give them the control to run the team with Ralph's intervention (or the intervention of the bean counters, for example the Lee Evans trade which Nix claims he had nothing to do with)

There's absolutely zero evidence supporting your theory. Nothing more than speculation. I'm not sure how your example of our GM not having anything to do with a trade supports what your claiming.

Moats seems to make plays whenever he is on the field so I really dont care how small he supposedly is

Uhh, Moats has made what, 1 or 2 plays this year? Maybe it's because of how Moats seems to disappear when he is on the field, you just don't realize he is there...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

The plan was sound, but the execution part of it all is where he failed miserably.

A great offensive mind, no doubt, but where Nix went wrong was making CG a head coach.

I wonder what you were saying when the Bills were sitting in first place the first 8 weeks of the season?

Gailey's team was just fine, and the offense looked great while they were healthy. They lost virtually every key player on the team for some period of time, many for the season. This is the single most important thing that happened to this team this year, we all KNEW that the team didn't have the depth to deal with these injuries. How well this team played when healthy is what gives me a little hope for next year.

The 34 defense is a perfect fit for a city like Buffalo.

Uhh, what? I love the 3-4, but I guess I don't get how it's somehow better for this city...

As I stated previously, George Edwards was the wrong choice.

I 100% percent agree with you on this one, I HATED the Edwards pick. An inexperienced LB coach (His LB units weren't very good...until he left). This is the #1 thing that the Bills could have controlled that is hurting us now.

- Chan for all intensive purposes IS the offensive coordinator....he is a HC that calls his own plays.

This ^

In year two, Nix continued to draft heavily on defense. He took Dareus, Williams, Sheppard, Searcy, Chris White, Rogers and Jasper.

Dareus is a beast and will only get better, but we had to use our 3rd overall pick to correct the mistake we made with Troup, instead of using it on something else. Sheppard may or may not turn out to be a great player, that has yet to be determined, but you don't have to take an inside linebacker that early (in the3rd round), when you should be selecting OLBers, in that round, instead. Justin Houston would have been a great selection. Speaking of OLBers, what about Brooks Reed in round two instead of Aaron Williams? Everyone knows that in order for your 34 defense to be effective, the strength of your "D" needs to be in the linebacker corps. Trusting Merriman to stay healthy was a huge gamble on BN's part that has backfired on the Bills. Keeping Kelsay at OLB was the wrong move, too, and now these idiots actually think Carrington and Johnson are OLBers?? Ha ha ha, I won't even put them there in Madden!! Searcy looks like a keeper so far. White I never liked. Rogers will probably be better than Williams and Jasper has been moved to offense.

Wow, I can't believe you are picking apart our best draft in a LONG time. You don't have to be a genius to draft in HINDSIGHT. Even with that said, Dareus is a stud, Williams has been flat out awesome when healthy, a possible star. Sheppard is our full time starting ILB as a rookie, Hairston started at LT (one of the most important positions in football, despite missing all of training camp)and played great, a 5th round pick. Searcy came in and looked pretty impressive when Wilson went down. Rodgers is playing nickle and returning kicks, and looking great doing both. But Rogers better than Williams? Have you actually watched them? Man you gotta take a breath, step back from the cliff, your getting a little wacky...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Bring in people with enough clout and the new ownership will embrace them. Throw enough money at a problem and it will be resolved. The real reason top tier people don't come here is because RW isn't willing to pony up the dough that it will take to bring those guys in, not because he's old. I'm not buying that.

Yeah, cuz that's working so well for the Sabres. :rolleyes:

I hear this from time to time and I don't buy it. You sign a contract to coach the Bills for X years - so what if ownership changes a year or two before your contract runs out? You still get paid. Are you worried that the team will move to somewhere less desireable than Buffalo? Like where, Utica?

As somebody who has lived in the Utica area for more than 30 years, I feel obligated to point out that there are probably several people who think Utica is a perfectly nice place.

I also agree with your point that if the team packs up and leaves, it's unlikely that they will go somewhere less desirable from the point of view of a typical 20 something year old football player with high levels of testosterone. The only problem might be that if they go someplace with more women to choose from, they may become attracted to one in particular and end up with lower levels of testosterone and thus become a less effective football player. (reference "The Hidden Reason For The Lost Decade" by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead.)

- Chan for all intensive purposes IS the offensive coordinator....he is a HC that calls his own plays. Where it hurts him is if he is going to concentrate on the offensive side of the ball then he needs a STRONG DC on the defensive side so he can just turn him lose and focus on the offense. This HAS to be fixed this offseason.

Chan needs to hire an decent OC and a strong DC so he can be a HC. He can tinker with the offense on game day but can't run it and manage the game and keep an eye on Edwards. Too much for one guy.

Chan needs to hire an decent OC and a strong DC so he can be a HC. He can tinker with the offense on game day but can't run it and manage the game and keep an eye on Edwards. Too much for one guy.

good idea-

except that Chan sucks as a HC

has no interest in the D or the special teams and does nothing to develop his coaching assistants

You're right. Look how well the OT from Texas, WR from LSU, DE from Nebraska, WR from Miami, and SS from Ohio St worked for us.

Not sure what you're saying here. The best recruits go to these schools and they get the best coaching. So your point is draft small school projects? The Bills might want to hire you.

The only big school/positions that I wouldn't touch are FSU D Ends. How did Evrette Brown work out again? :thumbsup:

During Buddy Nix's two years as GM he has brought in an offensive minded head coach, added guys to the scout team, converted to the 34 defense and drafted heavily on that side of the ball, as well. The plan was sound, but the execution part of it all is where he failed miserably. Let's take a look at each decision and how he failed.

First up, Chan Gailey

A great offensive mind, no doubt, but where Nix went wrong was making CG a head coach. This guy should have been our offensive coordinator, if anything. Nobody was beating on Chan's door for any type of job, much less the highly coveted head coaching job. He should have looked for someone else for that position and simply suggested to said head coach to hire Gailey to run the offense. Wrong move, for sure. What this team needed was a head coach with clout. A man that has taken a team from the ashes before and led them to prominence or at least the playoffs. A head coach that would actually take the city he plays in, into account when building his team and strategy on both offense and defense. A coach that has enough pull and know how to build a great coaching staff. Chan built an offense more suitable for a domed team or a good weather city. Jauron (not chosen by Nix) built our defense the same way, as if we were playing ball in Florida. Chan's choice for defensive coordinator was a horrible decision, as well. George Edwards was fired by the Dolphins as a linebacker's coach, why did CG think this guy deserved a promotion? A spread offense without a QB with a cannon for an arm in Buffalo doesn't make sense. When was the last time the Bills ran an out pattern 15+ yards down the field?

I would have gone with Marty ball. He would have been a perfect fit for head coach of the Bills. An old fashioned, hard-nosed coach that would have built this team to play tough. Line up in an I-Formation and run the ball down our opponents' throat. That's how this team's offense should have been built.

The 34 Defense and personnel decisions

The 34 defense is a perfect fit for a city like Buffalo, but the execution of putting together that defense was flawed. As I stated previously, George Edwards was the wrong choice. We needed a guy with experience to transform our defense from the Tampa Two to the 3-4, not a first-timer at the NFL level.

The mistakes didn't stop there. In year one, BN's draft selections to turn our defense into a 34 were way off, he drafted Troup, Carrington, Batten, and Moats. Troup is an undersized NT, we already had one of those on our roster, I would have went with the massive Mount Cody, instead of the small school product. Carrington has the look of a 34 defensive end, but these guys have him playing outside. Moats is too small. And Batten has proven to be a failure or wasn't given enough time to become a good OLB. It's starting to look like all these picks were busts.

In year two, Nix continued to draft heavily on defense. He took Dareus, Williams, Sheppard, Searcy, Chris White, Rogers and Jasper.

Dareus is a beast and will only get better, but we had to use our 3rd overall pick to correct the mistake we made with Troup, instead of using it on something else. Sheppard may or may not turn out to be a great player, that has yet to be determined, but you don't have to take an inside linebacker that early (in the3rd round), when you should be selecting OLBers, in that round, instead. Justin Houston would have been a great selection. Speaking of OLBers, what about Brooks Reed in round two instead of Aaron Williams? Everyone knows that in order for your 34 defense to be effective, the strength of your "D" needs to be in the linebacker corps. Trusting Merriman to stay healthy was a huge gamble on BN's part that has backfired on the Bills. Keeping Kelsay at OLB was the wrong move, too, and now these idiots actually think Carrington and Johnson are OLBers?? Ha ha ha, I won't even put them there in Madden!! Searcy looks like a keeper so far. White I never liked. Rogers will probably be better than Williams and Jasper has been moved to offense.

As you can see, BN has done plenty to get this team where he wants it to be. He used 11 picks in the last two drafts to fix our defense to no avail. Is it the players he picked that are no good or are the coaches inept and unable to properly groom those kids into great football players? Or both? Why can't we stop the run? Why can't we rush the passer? Why have we regressed in pass d?

Where does the blame lie? With the owner? The front office? The coaches? The players? All of the above?

Over the course of the last decade we have seen numerous coaches, GMs, and players come and go and yet we're stuck in the same tailspin. Moving forward, I recommend we do it right this time, not by spending boat loads of cash which we know Ralph will never do, but to spend the money we already spend but spread it out differently. Put more money into the GM, the front office, and the coaching staff. Stop paying our head coaches like other teams spend on their coordinators. Bring in proven guys that have turned things around before. Make at least one huge free agent signing every year. Until then, the pathetic product that his been on display at OBD over the last decade plus will only continue.

What a flawed point of view on this....sorry bud...I buy very little of what you are saying

During Buddy Nix's two years as GM he has brought in an offensive minded head coach, added guys to the scout team, converted to the 34 defense and drafted heavily on that side of the ball, as well. The plan was sound, but the execution part of it all is where he failed miserably. Let's take a look at each decision and how he failed.

First up, Chan Gailey

A great offensive mind, no doubt, but where Nix went wrong was making CG a head coach. This guy should have been our offensive coordinator, if anything. Nobody was beating on Chan's door for any type of job, much less the highly coveted head coaching job. He should have looked for someone else for that position and simply suggested to said head coach to hire Gailey to run the offense. Wrong move, for sure. What this team needed was a head coach with clout. A man that has taken a team from the ashes before and led them to prominence or at least the playoffs. A head coach that would actually take the city he plays in, into account when building his team and strategy on both offense and defense. A coach that has enough pull and know how to build a great coaching staff. Chan built an offense more suitable for a domed team or a good weather city. Jauron (not chosen by Nix) built our defense the same way, as if we were playing ball in Florida. Chan's choice for defensive coordinator was a horrible decision, as well. George Edwards was fired by the Dolphins as a linebacker's coach, why did CG think this guy deserved a promotion? A spread offense without a QB with a cannon for an arm in Buffalo doesn't make sense. When was the last time the Bills ran an out pattern 15+ yards down the field?

I would have gone with Marty ball. He would have been a perfect fit for head coach of the Bills. An old fashioned, hard-nosed coach that would have built this team to play tough. Line up in an I-Formation and run the ball down our opponents' throat. That's how this team's offense should have been built.

The 34 Defense and personnel decisions

The 34 defense is a perfect fit for a city like Buffalo, but the execution of putting together that defense was flawed. As I stated previously, George Edwards was the wrong choice. We needed a guy with experience to transform our defense from the Tampa Two to the 3-4, not a first-timer at the NFL level.

The mistakes didn't stop there. In year one, BN's draft selections to turn our defense into a 34 were way off, he drafted Troup, Carrington, Batten, and Moats. Troup is an undersized NT, we already had one of those on our roster, I would have went with the massive Mount Cody, instead of the small school product. Carrington has the look of a 34 defensive end, but these guys have him playing outside. Moats is too small. And Batten has proven to be a failure or wasn't given enough time to become a good OLB. It's starting to look like all these picks were busts.

As you can see, BN has done plenty to get this team where he wants it to be. He used 11 picks in the last two drafts to fix our defense to no avail. Is it the players he picked that are no good or are the coaches inept and unable to properly groom those kids into great football players? Or both? Why can't we stop the run? Why can't we rush the passer? Why have we regressed in pass d?

Where does the blame lie? With the owner? The front office? The coaches? The players? All of the above?

Over the course of the last decade we have seen numerous coaches, GMs, and players come and go and yet we're stuck in the same tailspin. Moving forward, I recommend we do it right this time, not by spending boat loads of cash which we know Ralph will never do, but to spend the money we already spend but spread it out differently. Put more money into the GM, the front office, and the coaching staff. Stop paying our head coaches like other teams spend on their coordinators. Bring in proven guys that have turned things around before. Make at least one huge free agent signing every year. Until then, the pathetic product that his been on display at OBD over the last decade plus will only continue.

You lost crediblity at "hire Chan as the OC". Head coaches pick their own OC's. Any head coach worth hiring will insist on that.

You missed the boat on Marty. Nix and Marty are friends. It has been documented that Ralph Wilson did not want Marty, he was not comfortable with him was the qoute.

You lost me at "the 34 defense is a perfect fit for a city like Buffalo".

Not sure what you're saying here. The best recruits go to these schools and they get the best coaching. So your point is draft small school projects? The Bills might want to hire you.

The only big school/positions that I wouldn't touch are FSU D Ends. How did Evrette Brown work out again? :thumbsup:

No, but you don't categorically dismiss prospects because they came from X size school or because they played Y position. Yes, players from big schools probably have a higher success rate. But ignoring small school players is dumb.

As for FSU DE's, go ahead and ignore them. You're going to be missing out on some good ones in the next couple of seasons, specifically Bjoern Werner. I'll agree that in the past FSU DEs haven't panned out, but that was before the coaching change. The old guys under Mickey Andrews were coached completely differently than the new crop of DEs under Mark Stoops. They've been given the "SEC style" coaching. Brandon Jenkins has had the past 2 seasons, where he's flourished, under Stoops/Fisher.

I finally have some time to address your points you guys have made on my post. Here it goes:

You lost me at "coveted head coaching job."

This was confirmed as the burmuda triangle of coaching careers when mularchy told the organization to kiss off in 05 before seven more years of deterioration.

It's only one of 32 jobs on the planet. I'm pretty sure its highly coveted.

a. I dont get how the 3-4 defense is a perfect fit for a city like Buffalo...what does the city have to do with anything?

building a 3-4 defense isnt rocket science...you get a big fat guy in the middle and a bunch of LB's that can get off blockers

b. Moats seems to make plays whenever he is on the field so I really dont care how small he supposedly is

c. of those 11 picks on defense how many are actually starting for an awful defense? the 2010 draft was just awful

a. It's not so much that the 34 defense is perfect for Buffalo, it's more like the Tampa 2 wasn't. The T2 required smaller guys on in the front seven and two safeties guarding against the deep pass. Well, Buffalo gets pretty windy. You don't need two safeties protecting against the deep pass at all times and since Buffalo is a tough, blue collar town then, to me, the 34 defense fits that mold a lot better with bigger and tougher defenders along the front seven.

b. Moats sucks, face it. He's a huge liability against the run. Period point blank.

c. I said the plan to draft heavily on the defensive side of the ball was sound, but the execution (picking the wrong players to run it) wasn't.

I have 2 main issues with the post:

1. The "cold weather team" and "team built for the elements" is vastly overrated. How many games per year are that adversely affected by the weather? Not too many, if any at all. Sure, it gets windy at the stadium, but rarely does the weather affect the gameplan. Furthermore, florida gets monsoons at games as often as we get the crazy snow games, but they don't need to "build a team for the weather"

2. Dareus wasn't drafted because Nix thought we missed on Troup. This is a complete fallacy. He was drafted because we needed more beasts along the DL and he was one of the best players in the nation. If Troup was an all-pro his rookie season we still would have drafted Dareus.

1. You'll probably laugh when I make my point here, but what if we get home field advantage throughout the playoffs, one day? I'd like to see guys on our team that has played in the bad weather before for that reason. That and what about the kids that we draft from warm weather colleges that can't stand the cold weather? As soon as these guys become free agents you can rest assured that they will leave.

2. I'm not so sure of that. We already had Kyle, Dwan, Carrington and Troup. If Troup had panned out as planned they might have went in another direction in the draft.

Two very good points.

The weather angle gets endlessly repeated here for reasons that no one ever explains. It's safe to say none of these guys (anywhaere in the NFL) would prefer to play in the very cold and/or snowy conditions. There is no obvious benefit for the Bills to play in this type of weather and they rarely do anyway.

Explain why we start off well when the weather is nice, 08 and this year, then tail off when the weather starts to turn.

Unless Spiller becomes an All-Pro, drafting a RB with the first pick of a rebuild is not a "sound plan" executed poorly. It is a poor plan executed poorly with little forward thinking considering that trends show teams who can pass and rush the passer are making the playoffs. Hybrid backs like Spiller, while a part of the modern game, aren't drafted this high, especially when the team had huge holes at QB, OT, and OLB.

My post was aimed at the defense, not the offense. I agree with you that Spiller was a luxury pick that we couldn't afford.

I wanted to like the OP's post and it started off excellent.....then I think things got a little fuzzy.....

1.- Chan for all intensive purposes IS the offensive coordinator....he is a HC that calls his own plays. Where it hurts him is if he is going to concentrate on the offensive side of the ball then he needs a STRONG DC on the defensive side so he can just turn him lose and focus on the offense. This HAS to be fixed this offseason.

2. - The trend I see in drafting is it is getting better every year.....that and we have been really unlucky with injuries to a couple of guys that were drafted. Troupe is NOT undersized as a pure nose at 340 pounds or whatever.....for some reason he lacks technique and strength to hold up in the middle and that has not been corrected.

3. - I am very high on Justin Rogers....both as a returner and as a corner....but better then Aaron Williams as a corner? No Aaron Williams has that size you cant teach is a darn good cover guy and a HITTER. Williams will end up being the better db.

4. - I personally dont think Nix plan was flawed.....we just didn't have the depth to overcome the injuries and for some reason Fitz is regressing.

1. I agree with your first point.

2. Troup was undersized when we drafted him. He didn't weigh 340 at that point and who knows how the wieght gain can affect his body or his play. that's just not a chance I'm willing to take if I was selecting the talent in Buffalo in the second round. Cody was already big enough and he dominated at the college level.

3. I don't like Williams. He isn't a very good corner. I watched all the games and the shortcuts and payed close attention to that guy. He will be a safety someday soon, JMO.

4. The plan was sound, the execution of it wasn't. We would have team depth if we drafted well.

He lost me at ""A great offensive mind, no doubt"" :lol:

I'm still trying my best to figure out where these guys get this stuff from. If the Bills horrid defense doesn't get all those turnovers at the start of the year, how many games do the Bills win?

2-14 as OC in KC--- 9-21 as HC of the Bills---in his 6 years at GT. he never defeated Tech's biggest rival, the UoG, never won the ACC, never went to a BCS bowl, never won more than 9 games, and never finished in the top 25.

Chan Gailey "might" be an excellent HC "IF" he had hired the proper assistants OC &DC. He didn't!

Although, I wouldn't mind giving the man another year "IF" he hires a new OC & DC and just manages the game on Sundays. Leaves the playcalling to an assistant.

Our offense wasn't the problem when we were healthy earlier in the year. The defensive turnovers helped us win, I agree, but our offense was amazing even without them.

That's what I said. CG failed miserably at selecting a staff.

I wonder what you were saying when the Bills were sitting in first place the first 8 weeks of the season?

Gailey's team was just fine, and the offense looked great while they were healthy. They lost virtually every key player on the team for some period of time, many for the season. This is the single most important thing that happened to this team this year, we all KNEW that the team didn't have the depth to deal with these injuries. How well this team played when healthy is what gives me a little hope for next year.

Wow, I can't believe you are picking apart our best draft in a LONG time. You don't have to be a genius to draft in HINDSIGHT. Even with that said, Dareus is a stud, Williams has been flat out awesome when healthy, a possible star. Sheppard is our full time starting ILB as a rookie, Hairston started at LT (one of the most important positions in football, despite missing all of training camp)and played great, a 5th round pick. Searcy came in and looked pretty impressive when Wilson went down. Rodgers is playing nickle and returning kicks, and looking great doing both. But Rogers better than Williams? Have you actually watched them? Man you gotta take a breath, step back from the cliff, your getting a little wacky...

Our defense sucked even when they were healthy. The turnovers forced was the only positive, but you can't count on that week in and week out.

I don't like either draft. I do like Dareus, Searcy, Hairston, and Rogers, but that's it. I would've taken Brooks Reed instead of Williams. I would've taken Cody instead of Troup. i would have taken either Mallett or Justin Houston instead of Sheppard.

Yeah, cuz that's working so well for the Sabres. :rolleyes:

We're constantly using draft picks to replace guys that leave visa free agency/trade. I'm not saying we need to break the bank on free agents, we should, at the very least, keep our own free agents. This is a recipe for disaster and is probably the main reason why we never take the next step in our rebuilding process.

You lost crediblity at "hire Chan as the OC". Head coaches pick their own OC's. Any head coach worth hiring will insist on that.

You missed the boat on Marty. Nix and Marty are friends. It has been documented that Ralph Wilson did not want Marty, he was not comfortable with him was the qoute.

No, I didn't. If you read my post carefully you would see I said, "Simply suggest to the head coach to hire Chan as offensive coordinator". That's it. If said head coach didn't want him then fine, so be it. Get someone else.

I didn't miss the boat on Marty. BN and Ralph did. Marty would have been the perfect choice for head coach.

Fire away!

I am so tired of saying this, but hey here goes one more time: Top GM/Coach/Player talent is not coming to this franchise until long term ownership is in place. No one at the peak of their career is taking a chance with the best years of their career going to a franchise about to clean house top to bottom once Ralph is gone. Too many unknowns. Ralph could easily be deceased by next season. Who will buy the franchise? Where will the franchise be located? Who will own it? Don't know for sure -- therefore top (and I mean the real name brand, proven types) GMs and Coaches will avoid the franchise until that is known. Who will the coaches be? What schemes will be employed? Don't know-- depends on who the new HC is, which you won't know until you know who the GM decides, which won't be known until the new owner hires his GM. So top (and I mean the real impact free agents) players will stay away until they know who is running the team. Money is not a factor, top players can get top money from any number of teams, so "paying up" will not work. As fans we all say "of course the team will be in WNY" -- but as a top top player or coach would you bet your short-lived, once in a life team prosports career on it? Nope. So lets stop with the daydreaming about a dramatic miracle turnaround for the Bills via free agency or hiring an awesome coach in the near term.. it is not going to happen . Just draft well and grow the players you are fortunate enough to have under contract and keep moving forward. That is the formula. If you get sacked by a rash of injuries, you are pretty much f- ed, but that is the way it goes in the Bills particular situation.

agreed. until RW is gone, this is what we get

Unless Spiller becomes an All-Pro, drafting a RB with the first pick of a rebuild is not a "sound plan"

Well...Add to that they already had 2 Pro-Bowl caliber RB's on their Roster when they Drafted Spiller...

But hey...Remember...Buddy said, "There's only one Spiller!!!!" ;)