Will Fred Jackson get a contract extension?

Jerry Jabber

Since Spiller had his best game as a pro on Sunday, does this change Boss Hogg & Cooter's minds about Fred Jackson and a contract extension? Are they finally feeling justified in drafting Spiller at #9? According to Buffalo Rumblings, they wouldn't be surprised if Boss Hogg rides Jackson's contract out.

"Spiller looks like he has potential to be a Marshall Faulk-style of player that gets his yards on big bursts, kills the defense on draws and screens, destroys tackling angles with his speed, plays receiver, and can create offense for others with the attention he gets. This may seems like an overreaction, but don't be surprised if Buddy Nix rides out Fred Jackson's remaining contract, and commits to a Spiller-slash-power back combo in 2013. Spiller is proving each week that he's capable of being a huge part of this offense."

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/12/20/2647520/dolphins-30-bills-23-good-bad-lets-not-overreact

Riding Fred Jackson's contract out, and not resigning Stevie Johnson would set the offense back for years. I really hope Boss Hogg & Cooter aren't that stupid.

I think we need to extend Fred , every NFL team that does well has 2 dependable backs just incase .

Heck remember the glory days here in Buffalo ?? When Thurman needed a blow who did we depend on Kenny Davis & the offense didn't miss a lick , that's the way this needs to be !!

Plus CJ has a lot longer career ahead of him than Fred & i'm saying that just because of age . If both can get the same amount of carries per game or maybe lean on one when they have the hot hand it will be nothing but a plus for the team .

And in that time draft another youngster when he comes around to be the air apparent to Fred when we finally do need to put him out to pasture , but i don't think that will be for at least another couple or 3 years !! :worthy:

Freddie and CJ are two radically different backs. CJ does not have the durability, yards after contact and broken field running skills of Fred. Fred cannot get to the corner they way CJ can and its a huge advantage to make teams defend the edge. They are a perfect pair we should exploit.

Freddie will get a reasonable four year extension...tear up next year and give him $9M guaranteed on a $20M total deal. His age kills him from getting even a second tier running back (Below Chris Johnson and Adrian Peterson) deal. If you combine this with what CJ is making its still less money than what the Vikings pay AP and the Titans pay Chris Johnson.

The great thing about CJ is that his skills allow him to be on the field in the slot or out wide at the same time. If we run this offense right they can both get 15+ touches a game. I want to see us run the option with Brad Smith at QB and CJ and Freddie in the backfield maybe 5 times a game.

Riding Fred Jackson's contract out, and not resigning Stevie Johnson would set the offense back for years. I really hope Boss Hogg & Cooter aren't that stupid.

I agree with the part about not re-signing Stevie. It will definitely set the offense back since we would be losing him right away.

But how long do you think we'll extend 30 year old Fred Jackson? Maybe 2 additional years?

I definitely want to extend Freddie, but I dont think losing him in 2013 will be that big of a deal. By then, CJ will (hopefully) be the feature back, and we can pick up a power guy in FA or the draft.

It would be "nice" to extend Freddie, I just dont think the future of the team depends on him being able to produce at 34 years old.

If I were Fred Jackson, I would give my agent firm instructions that he is to talk offers with any and every team EXCEPT the Buffalo Bills!!! He was treated like fecal matter by Bills mgmt...Buffalo would be the last team I would agree to sign with!!! :bag:

I think the Bills org is generally incompetent but how many teams would give a DIII running back a shot? He still will make millions of dollars and to state the organization has treated him like **** is not factual.

I agree he deserves an extension but don't blame the Bills org...they discovered him, extended him and he just happened to blossom into a great player...he is now too old to pay him serious jack -- but we can reward him a bit with the expectation that there is continued good play. The contract should pay him good money next year through the guaranteed portion -- but be back end loaded for salary (like $9M of the $20M in salary the last two years)to mitigate the risk of age.

Edited by JoeF

If I were Fred Jackson, I would give my agent firm instructions that he is to talk offers with any and every team EXCEPT the Buffalo Bills!!! He was treated like fecal matter by Bills mgmt...Buffalo would be the last team I would agree to sign with!!! :bag:

Oh yeah, the bills really did treat him badly by giving him a shot to live out his dream as an nfl football player, giving him a job, having him make a ton of money that most of us will never make.... the bills would have been nicer if they just left him making $65 a game in a league no one has heard of....

I remember when people said that after Marv Levy promised not to franchise Nate Clements that it would be wrong to do it for the 2007 season. Well, we know what happened and Marv remained true to his word.

Flash forward to present day and Jackson noted that Nix said they'd take care of him. I would hope, regardless of what happens, that Nix lives up to his promise if it indeed was made. There is no justification for not finding the money to keep your best offensive player.

According to Fred, Buddy promised in good faith to hammer out the extension.

While Buddy strikes me as being perhaps not as great as we all had thought, he does not strike me as a blowhard or a flake either.

I think FJ gets his new deal in the offseason this year.

Hope so for everyones sake.

if he does that he will not get paid, he is under the bills control for one more year. The best he can hope for is a 3 year extension with some major guarenteed cash . May 3 for 20 million 10 guarenteed. He really doesn't have any leverage. I hope the Bllls do right by him

look I really like Fred. Do you know he will be 32 when his current contract expires. What NFL team would even consider a 32 year old back? Even a low mileage one.

Unless traded this is Fred's one and only team in the NFL

Okay did someone compare CJ Spiller to MVP Marshall Faulk ? Haha oh dear Lord look what all this losing has done to our fans intelligence.....

I don't agree with the notion that CJ can't handle 20 touches a game because he's a little undersized. Why is everyone harping on that? The thing that worries me about Spiller is that he isn't very good at making guys miss and doesn't seem to have great vision. I will give him credit for a very nice broken tackle on his TD run, embarrassed the Dolphins guy, think it was the SS. Great play calling and offensive line work on both of those consecutive runs.

The same thing holds true for FJax as it does for Stevie, these guys are very solid players and good teammates. The NFL requires depth to win and we have tons of financial room to sign our guys. The team needs to come first, and if we had severe cap restrictions and it would hurt us somewhere else, then I'd say consider letting him play it out, maybe tag him at the end of next year if he lights it up again like he did this year.

The only way I would consider not restructuring his contract is if a trade made sense for the team. I would shop Freddie in the offseason to see what his market value is in order to make the best decision for the team, but my guess is his age and the broken leg might hurt his value.

I hope he stays with us for the rest of his career.

Stevie needs to be resigned for sure other wise we have to fill another hole instead of using our draft picks for other needs.

Fred need to get a Bonus, perfectly acceptable for the Bills to just write him a check for what he has done. But in 2 more years I don't see him in the equation. He will be the 3rd down back the change of pace guy. I'd write him a check for 1 million dollars today as a Christmas Bonus.

Freddie and CJ are two radically different backs. CJ does not have the durability, yards after contact and broken field running skills of Fred.

I guess that's the reputation, but itFunny that the more durable back has missed half the season with injuries...

Not sure we really know enough about CJs broken field running skills or yard after contact at this point

It's general manager canon not to invest in running backs over the age of 30. Nobody does it.

I think the Bills will offer Fred a short term extension with a pay raise and lots of incentives, but I don't think any general manager in the NFL is going to offer him a long term deal that he's probably looking for. He's John McClaned. Wrong place (age 30+) and wrong time (broken leg and team's success to draft RBs late in the draft and they perform) to be at the top of his professional career.

That would be tampering as Jackson is still under contract with the Bills.

Our season went into an utter tailspin when Freddy was put on the shelf. Period. Blame injuries, Chan, Fitz, farts on the wind, I don't care. There was one change to our team that hurt more than anything else: losing Fred Jackson.

He and Fitz were the heart and soul of our offense. When we lost Fred, we lost our heart. I said from week one, that in spite of Fitz's numbers and his brainy, Zen-master presence, all along it was Freddy who was the offensive catalyst. He kept the ball moving for our team. 0-23 on third down against the Dolphins? Doesn't happen in a million years if Jackson was in the lineup last Sunday. Take that to the bank.

Yes, CJ looks much improved and I feel comfortable saying now that he does, indeed, show true promise. But he's not Fred Jackson. And even if he continues to improve, he won't be next year, either.

Buffalo needs another two good years from Jackson, and they owe him some extra money. Restructure his contract so he's ours through the end of the 2014 season. Give him a reasonable salary, boatloads in incentives, and offer him the hefty bonus he earned before he broke his leg. Simple.

Then get Stevie back. Re-sign Roscoe to a reasonable contract, extend Scott Chandler (also a FA). Bring back Bell, Urbrik AND Rinehart (ALL FA's, only Rinehart is even remotely expendable).

Restore full continuity to this offense while trying to improve the receiver position either through the draft or FA, or both.

The rest of the off season goes to the defense.

Here are the players subject to FA from the defense:

Bryan Scott (expendable, but I'd hate to see him go)

Anrda Davis (worth bringing back)

Kirk Morrison (expendable)

Reggie Torbor (expendable)

There you have it, folks.

DONE!