Next Defensive Coordinator

dprobe78

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another scenerio is they hire another proven Def. Coordinator that has had some success in the past. Who that would be, I don't know. But, I would sure love to have Miami's D-Coordinator if they clean house after the season. He knows the AFC East, and he can turn around a unit in no time. Mangini would also be okay, but I don't like the guy's "integrity" Really, andy D-Coordinator who's had success would be nice.

Chan and Mike Nolan have previously worked together in Denver and are both considered part of the Dan Reeves coaching tree.

Excellent post. Agreed.

completely agree. plus our seconday will be much better with a pass and we have playmakers back there in a developing aaron williams, byrd, searcy, wilson, floyrence is decent.. we have a great pair in DT in williams and dareus and kelsay is fine 4 a 4-3 DE and get a pass rusher on other side and draft 2 OLB. barnett starts in middle and Shepp is athletic enough to move over to OLB and let him battle it out with our current young guys and let best one win. draft a passe rushing DE, a pass rusher OLB in 1st 2 round and resign stevie and get a solid running mate at WR that can stretch field. Metchem would be perfect and if they are open to really opening bank, V. jackson. draft strictly D and get mix in a QB to develop for a yr under fitz. fitz is solid enough but not gonna be a game changer that can win it all but would be perfect tutor to groom a QB under and if the young guy develops fast, fitz is too classy to not understand hes gotta turn the keys over the QB in waiting. We must address QB in top 3 rounds along with 2 pass rushers... so many qb's coming out there will be value out there in 2nd round if we cant get barkley RG3 or luck. 0% chance we land luck and barkley and RG3 will both be top 12 by the time the draft rolls around. the financial risk of a 1st round QB are not what they used to be and after seeing how well dalton and Cam have done so far, teams will be less afraid of QB's.. this is a copy cat league and i think RG3 may wind up top 5 by time of draft cuz of Cams success. i would die to get him but dont think he is realistic and other than those 3 no one else is worth it in 1st round for QB. Jones is not in same league as those guys can easily see him being a bust.. so many WR screens and hes just like bradford.. then he gets hit, hes not same QB and puts up monster numbers when he doesnt get hit but when he gets rushed, he turns ball over.

the key to any 3-4 defense is a big NT like Ted Washington which the Bills dont have. I like Williams and Dareus but they are better suited for DT in a 4-3 so the personel should dictate them switching back to a 4-3 under Wannstadt

I agree - our two best D-Lineman are both D-Tackles in a 4-3 and we have guys who can play a 4-3 D-End.

We have NOBODY who can play the 3-4 OLB, but we do have linebackers who can play a 4-3 OLB. I don't think we have a great choice as a 4-3 MLB so that would be a need.

In either case, the scheme (3-4 or 4-3) needs to fit the players you have. Our great talent finders havn't found the talent for a 3-4 in 2 years. The Deadskins moved to a 3-4 at the same time we did and they've found their front 7 package whereas we have not.

If Edwards is gone then Dick LeBeau, Dom Capers, or Wade Phillips.

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic. Pretty funny. We had LeBeau for a year (2004 - last winning season) and low and

behold we finished first or second in Team Defense. We were to stupid to fire Jerry Gray and make LeBeau Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator. Capers was a great hire by Green Bay but how do you expect us to compete with those big market teams? Phillips wouldn't coach here if we were holding his children ransom under threat of death.

I like the idea of Mike Nolan if Miami cleans house. That would be a nice hire.

I agree - our two best D-Lineman are both D-Tackles in a 4-3 and we have guys who can play a 4-3 D-End.

We have NOBODY who can play the 3-4 OLB, but we do have linebackers who can play a 4-3 OLB. I don't think we have a great choice as a 4-3 MLB so that would be a need.

In either case, the scheme (3-4 or 4-3) needs to fit the players you have. Our great talent finders havn't found the talent for a 3-4 in 2 years. The Deadskins moved to a 3-4 at the same time we did and they've found their front 7 package whereas we have not.

Exactly - because the Redskins drafted Orakpo and now Kerrigan for the two OLB spots.

The Bills drafted Maybin and picked up a broken Merriman to man the other spot, while trying to wedge Kelsay and now Spencer Johnson (a Defensive Tackle, for heaven's sake) into the all-important OLB positions.

With Troup looking very much a bust, we really don't have a proper NT either.

I would be all for bailing on the 3-4 - it's too trendy. I didn't want them switching in the first place.

As I argued from the beginning - you want to use the base formation that teams haven't moved to - not the one everyone is flocking to (and competing with you for the same talent). It's much like trading stocks - the Bills had it backwards and were "selling low" on the Tampa-2 and "buying high" on the 3-4.

You don't have to go small Tampa-2 (ala Dick Jauron) to play 4-3 - there's the bigger "base" 4-3 that the Giants and Lions use, for example - it works just fine. The Tampa-2 works too - for the Bears and others, but it can be tough to get the right players to handle power running and very tough to get the right MLB who can stuff the run AND drop back in coverage. Every time Urlacher gets hurt, the Bears defense turns to crap.

It's hard to say, since we don't know which coaches will be fired when the season is over.

Jeff Fisher is still on the unemployment line. He is a great defensive coach, but would probably be looking for a head coaching job first - and I would expect someone to give it to him.

Jack Del Rio was recently fired by Jacksonville. He was a crappy head coach, but a lot of guys are better when they only have to focus on one side of the ball. He was pretty successful as a coordinator for the Panthers, and the Jags have always had a pretty good defense.

Assuming Steve Spagnulo is fired as head coach of the St. Louis Rams (not a stretch), he could be the hottest name on the list of potential defensive coordinators. He spent several years as an assistant to Jim Johnson in Philadelphia, before taking over as the DC for the New York Giants. During those times, his teams had some of the NFL's strongest defenses.

why did we hire Edwards? I have been asking my self this question for a while now. so i did some research.

His defenses when he was coordinator for redskins in 2003 ranked 25th for yards and 24th for points. Then fired and was coordinator for the Browns, defense ranked 24th for points 15th for yards but last for rush defense stats for redskins stats for browns

last year with the bills 28th for points and 24th for yards, this year is the same type 26th for points 24th for yards....how is he a NFL coach.Chan screwed him self here. bad decisions. its painful to watch this organization constantly run them selves into the ground. hopefully he will be gone next year. who would you want to pick up?

I could see Buddy bringing in Ron Rivera from San Diego. I would agree with the pick up.

why did we hire Edwards? I have been asking my self this question for a while now. so i did some research.

His defenses when he was coordinator for redskins in 2003 ranked 25th for yards and 24th for points. Then fired and was coordinator for the Browns, defense ranked 24th for points 15th for yards but last for rush defense stats for redskins stats for browns

last year with the bills 28th for points and 24th for yards, this year is the same type 26th for points 24th for yards....how is he a NFL coach.Chan screwed him self here. bad decisions. its painful to watch this organization constantly run them selves into the ground. hopefully he will be gone next year. who would you want to pick up?

I could see Buddy bringing in Ron Rivera from San Diego. I would agree with the pick up.

Psst. Ron Riviera is HC in Carolina.

GO BILLS!!!

If there is a change, it's going to be Wannstadt. Nothing else makes any sense. Wanny didn't come back to the NFL to be a LB coach. Why did Gailey bring him here here if he wasn't trusted and respected? I'm still not convinced that Edwards will be axed but if he is it will be Wannstadt.

How come other teams in the league have ex players that used to play for them coaching for them (example : Rod Woodson) but we can't get a Bruce Smith to coach for us? What's he doing with his life now? I'm not saying he would be a good coach i'm just saying ummmm u know what? As i was typing i realized we just suck so forget about it I hate being a Bills fan... :wallbash: