This Manning Situation Will Be THE Talk

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/06/archie-manning-doubts-that-peyton-and-andrew-luck-want-to-be-teammates/

I can see it now, Peyton joins the Jets or Dolphins to turn the AFC East upside down....So If Peyton does stay, what would it take to jump into Luck sweepstakes because no way in Hell are these guys going to both be in Indy.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They both could easily be in Indy next year. Peyton could start IF healthy which is an enormous IF. And if his career is over then you start Luck. The way the rookie salary cap is now makes it affordable. Really not a big deal for Indy to have both on the roster for a couple years.

I dont see any way the Colts dont draft Luck but if they did trade down it prob wouldnt be outside the top 5

I see the Skins trading up and getting Luck if the Colts decide to trade out but the price is going to be extremely high

The Colts need defense. Judging by their games this year, they are missing 11 men on that side of the ball.

I don't think Indy trades the franchise icon. They sucker some team into a HerschelWalkercopia of draft picks because a bidding war erupts between teams who see Luck as the once in a generation QB.

Yeah, I don't see why Indy would trade Manning if they got Luck. Just look at at the Packer situation and how well it worked out. While some QBs can play right away (and Luck probably fits the bill), it can backfire and crush a kid's confidence. Luck is still pretty young and could learn from one of the best in the game. Furthermore, rookies don't get the crazy salaries so there isn't as much pressure to play them right away.

The Colts by sucking have lucked into a San Antonio Spurs situation (David Robinson was a #1 and a great player and got hurt one year. They suck and get another #1 and get Tim Duncan). It's sometimes better to be lucky than good.

Yeah, I don't see why Indy would trade Manning if they got Luck. Just look at at the Packer situation and how well it worked out. While some QBs can play right away (and Luck probably fits the bill), it can backfire and crush a kid's confidence. Luck is still pretty young and could learn from one of the best in the game. Furthermore, rookies don't get the crazy salaries so there isn't as much pressure to play them right away.

The Colts by sucking have lucked into a San Antonio Spurs situation (David Robinson was a #1 and a great player and got hurt one year. They suck and get another #1 and get Tim Duncan). It's sometimes better to be lucky than good.

its a little different then the Spurs situation bc Duncan was able to play with Robinson where Luck would be sitting on the bench

if they were getting someone like Tomlinson or AJ Green i could see your point

its a little different then the Spurs situation bc Duncan was able to play with Robinson where Luck would be sitting on the bench

if they were getting someone like Tomlinson or AJ Green i could see your point

You're right. I guess my main point was that a team that was already a good team has one bad season and lucks into the #1 overall pick.

The biggest problem with the Bills is they never hit rock bottom. I think we have had a top 5 only like 2 times in 25 years. Detroit has one every year.

The Colts will keep Manning, and draft Luck. If Manning is healthy, he'll play while Luck learns for a year or two. If not, Luck plays right away with Manning being a player/coach for him. It's a win win in Indy.

Pretty much agree.

How could the Colts not look at how well the situation has worked out for the Green Bay Packers?

...well, until it got ugly, but it still worked out in the long run.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Manning is done....he will hang around long enough to get the next $28 mil, then call it a day. There is no point in risking permanent injury.

Indy takes Andew Luck and starts over with their next Franchise QB.

As far as Papa Manning comments....he is a master at manipulation to run cover for his boys.

The Colts will draft Luck, period. No combination of draft picks is worth a guy who can be your franchise QB for the next 10-15 years.

Whether or not Manning is on the team next year depends on his neck and if the Colts want to part with $28MM in March. If they could trade Manning for picks and get that further along in rebuilding behind Luck, that is the smart play.

The biggest problem with the Bills is they never hit rock bottom. /quote]

The vehementation of my disagreeance is mighty mighty. :P

I don't think Indy drafys Luck. If Manning is healthy, he comes back for the long haul, meaning 4-5 years. No way Manning has that kid looking over his shoulder. Every hit Peyton would take would be met with a gasp and a cry out for the kid. Manning will not allow this.

That's right, HE won't allow it.

If the Dr gives him two thumbs up, no Luck. Peyton plays and he plays without the distraction. He gives the brass an ultimatum.....me or him.

Period.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/06/archie-manning-doubts-that-peyton-and-andrew-luck-want-to-be-teammates/

I can see it now, Peyton joins the Jets or Dolphins to turn the AFC East upside down....So If Peyton does stay, what would it take to jump into Luck sweepstakes because no way in Hell are these guys going to both be in Indy.

There are no Luck sweepstakes anymore.Indy won the sweepstakes.Brilliant job Polian..again.

They have a franchise QB for 10 years and will get a #1 for Peyton.Peyton to a good team with a so-so QB that can contend for the SB--like Chicago,the Jets.

it's a PR NIGHTMARE to have both.. in the off -season it will be the talk on the country, how great peyton is tutoring luck and so on.. they will be all over sportscenter all offseaon and the buzz coming out of indy and tebow mania and what broncos do will be the 2 HUGE storyline entering season.. as we have seen this yr with eagles.. come attention.. comes scrutiny once season begins... everything will be dissected over and over all week between games whether good or bad.. when does peyton pass the torch...

scenario 1: if manning is awesome, they will criticize colts for drafting luck saying manning has plenty left in tank and could have surrounded him with alot more if they traded that pick to a team willing to give up huge for luck at least 20 teams would probably do.. get "the best prospect since manning or possibly even elway..

Scenario 2: Colts lose opening week, all the talk will be "is peyton done?" 1 loss and the media goes MAD... god forbid they go 0-2 which is very possible cuz as we've seen this yr, colts are junk... as good as peyton was, there is no way he makes THIS team a playoff team.. they have been regressing yr to yr and manning just hides how bad they are.. thats a MAJOR injury he had, if they part ways with him if off-season, it can be justified and walk away with a hand shake and say its best for both parties and im sure manning is enough of a gentlemen to understand the business side of football cuz its not just a game anymore... its a multi BILLION dollar corporation.. a good chunk of these owners are forbes top 400 guys.. unlike any other sports, no owner loses money in NFL.. bills suck yr in yr out, but ralph is making BANK.. if manning were to struggle, things can get VERY ugly... all over every talk... when do they turn the page to luck... favre in Green Bay was a god... and didnt take the "Business" decision well and all we wanted was revenge.. peyton is too classy for that.. hes a media's dream cuz the guy never does the "wrong thing". where ever he goes he will be loved. and colts fans would give him a standing Ovation assuming he plays somewhere that has indy on the schedule..

the best "football move" is to keep both and let luck sit for a yr. but no one gets drafted 1st overall anymore and sits.. times have changed, rookies can play right away especially a kid as advanced as luck. how can colts EVER and i mean EVER bench manning. its just media SUICIDE and could take away from his legacy.

Colts have to chose 1 and roll the dice. IMO, both will be just fine no matter where either end up cuz they are both insanely talented players that can make the players around them better. BOTH should be starting football games next yr. and either way colts are LUCKiest team in football. either get manning back or have andrew for the next 15 yrs.. thats like 30 yrs are elite level QB's with this past yr as the fastest rebuild since packers handed keys over to rodgers. i just pray manning goes to NFC if they do decide to part ways.. its a win win situation if they chose one and a potential disaster if they keep both cuz either way, if u trade peyton or trade #1 picks they be be getting a ton in return and they have good weapons on O and good pass rushers on D.. reason D is so bad is they are playing from behind every week.. this is a D that is built to play with lead and rush passer.they can add key pieces to puzzle between FA and a ton of draft picks if they trade 1.

Just my opinion but i see the decision as easy.. see how manning progresses during off season and if they feel hes good for 4-5 yrs, keep him and trade #1 and give manning more toys to play with and they go back to contending next yr or if he has a yr or 2 left.. u say screw it, trade him and get a ton in return and be a 500 team next yr and a playoff team for next 15 yrs after that.

it's a PR NIGHTMARE to have both.. in the off -season it will be the talk on the country, how great peyton is tutoring luck and so on.. they will be all over sportscenter all offseaon and the buzz coming out of indy and tebow mania and what broncos do will be the 2 HUGE storyline entering season.. as we have seen this yr with eagles.. come attention.. comes scrutiny once season begins... everything will be dissected over and over all week between games whether good or bad.. when does peyton pass the torch...

scenario 1: if manning is awesome, they will criticize colts for drafting luck saying manning has plenty left in tank and could have surrounded him with alot more if they traded that pick to a team willing to give up huge for luck at least 20 teams would probably do.. get "the best prospect since manning or possibly even elway..

Scenario 2: Colts lose opening week, all the talk will be "is peyton done?" 1 loss and the media goes MAD... god forbid they go 0-2 which is very possible cuz as we've seen this yr, colts are junk... as good as peyton was, there is no way he makes THIS team a playoff team.. they have been regressing yr to yr and manning just hides how bad they are.. thats a MAJOR injury he had, if they part ways with him if off-season, it can be justified and walk away with a hand shake and say its best for both parties and im sure manning is enough of a gentlemen to understand the business side of football cuz its not just a game anymore... its a multi BILLION dollar corporation.. a good chunk of these owners are forbes top 400 guys.. unlike any other sports, no owner loses money in NFL.. bills suck yr in yr out, but ralph is making BANK.. if manning were to struggle, things can get VERY ugly... all over every talk... when do they turn the page to luck... favre in Green Bay was a god... and didnt take the "Business" decision well and all we wanted was revenge.. peyton is too classy for that.. hes a media's dream cuz the guy never does the "wrong thing". where ever he goes he will be loved. and colts fans would give him a standing Ovation assuming he plays somewhere that has indy on the schedule..

the best "football move" is to keep both and let luck sit for a yr. but no one gets drafted 1st overall anymore and sits.. times have changed, rookies can play right away especially a kid as advanced as luck. how can colts EVER and i mean EVER bench manning. its just media SUICIDE and could take away from his legacy.

Colts have to chose 1 and roll the dice. IMO, both will be just fine no matter where either end up cuz they are both insanely talented players that can make the players around them better. BOTH should be starting football games next yr. and either way colts are LUCKiest team in football. either get manning back or have andrew for the next 15 yrs.. thats like 30 yrs are elite level QB's with this past yr as the fastest rebuild since packers handed keys over to rodgers. i just pray manning goes to NFC if they do decide to part ways.. its a win win situation if they chose one and a potential disaster if they keep both cuz either way, if u trade peyton or trade #1 picks they be be getting a ton in return and they have good weapons on O and good pass rushers on D.. reason D is so bad is they are playing from behind every week.. this is a D that is built to play with lead and rush passer.they can add key pieces to puzzle between FA and a ton of draft picks if they trade 1.

Just my opinion but i see the decision as easy.. see how manning progresses during off season and if they feel hes good for 4-5 yrs, keep him and trade #1 and give manning more toys to play with and they go back to contending next yr or if he has a yr or 2 left.. u say screw it, trade him and get a ton in return and be a 500 team next yr and a playoff team for next 15 yrs after that.

absurd. a 36-37 yr old QB after 3 cervical spine surgeries? they are gonna feel hes good til hes over 40??

Luck gets drafted.

They both could easily be in Indy next year. Peyton could start IF healthy which is an enormous IF. And if his career is over then you start Luck. The way the rookie salary cap is now makes it affordable. Really not a big deal for Indy to have both on the roster for a couple years.

THIS.

absurd. a 36-37 yr old QB after 3 cervical spine surgeries? they are gonna feel hes good til hes over 40??

Luck gets drafted.

Exactly. The media will try to make it a big game of Clue all winter so they have something to talk about, but the Colts aren't doing anything with that pick other than taking Luck.

Can I bet on this in Vegas??