Stevie Johnson, grow up or get out.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, the OP described SJ's celebration as idiocy, not the man himself as an idiot. I disagree with the claim, but I've known plenty of smart people who've done idiotic things.

Thanks for that clarification...me was acting dumbly, but that don't mean me a dummy.

Want to have the chicken v egg dispute?

Point of sports = winning

Winning = fun.

Therefore

Point of sports = fun.

Playing = fun

Watching the competition = fun

Winning = fun

Deciding that winning is the only important thing in life = not fun

Some of my fondest memories in competition involve the memory of a losing effort.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

It was horrible all those years when Thurman would score and then hand the ball to the ref also. Couldn't he have come up with some kind of dance to celebrate?

:lol:

IMO, football is "fun" if the team is playing well and winning, not if someone does a silly dance in the middle of yet another defeat. That said, it's also pretty silly to pile on Johnson for whatever he did on Sunday (no foul, no harm). He's the most talented guy the Bills have on offense and needs to be resigned to a long term deal.

Well, that is interesting. I thought I had heard that there had been no talks between Johnson and the Bills. Right before they extended Fitzpatrick, it seemed like all the talk (amongst fans) was about getting Fred Jackson and Steve Johnson re-signed...the Fitzpatrick deal, for me anyways, kind of came out fo left field.

BTW- perhaps it is all aestehtics, and some of us are more open to td celebrations than others. But, I have absolutely no problem with them when a team is winning. As Sage said, football is about 1) Fun and 2) Winning. To me, the fun comes with the winning.

Im going off memory here so take it all with a grain of salt, but I believe the reports were that the Bills and SJ were about $2mil/year apart and Stevie wanted money more inline with the top WRs. The $5mil and $7mil numbers were guesses on our part.

Talks stalled and both camps decided to wait until later/after the season. Regardless of 1 or 2 dropped passes, and "the penalty", I dont think Stevie's stock has dropped that much as far as the whole league is concerned. Which means if we dont get him re-signed then best case scenario he uses another team to drive up our cost (see: Tyson Clabo playing us against the Falcons). Worst case is that he ends up leaving and we have an even bigger hole at WR (but at least we wont have to deal with his celebrations).

Also, while we're on the subject, it should be noted that both Buddy and Freddie reported that the Bills approached the Jackson camp to work on an extension when all that stuff was going around in the media but it was Jackson that said he wanted to wait.

Nix also noted that had it not been for the lockout, the FO would have addressed most of these contracts in the off-season, but as it worked out, they had to wait to start these talks.

Kyle's camp was willing to talk, he got an extension. Fitz's camp was willing to talk, he got an extension. The fact that Stevie and Freddie remain is on them.

I said what he did was idiotic. I didn't call him an idiot. I think he needs to grow up and take the focus off rehearsing his celebrations.

Sorry.....I didn't know that somebody already pointed this out....I was responding to your post on page two.

I think Chan showed good restraint with his public comments about Stevie. I hope his internal handling of the issue was pretty intense. Stevie's actions were quite costly.

I don't want him to leave the team. I totally disagree with cutting him. I might fine him for the waddle, because it seemed as rehearsed as the shooting/plane crash deal. But that would be internal. And I might put him in a room with a veteran like Barnett to have a chat about the issue.

No, I want him to grow up.

You want him to grow up. In order to be "grown up" in your mind, he must stop celebrating.

If he doesnt "grow up", then what? Would you keep him? Or send him packing?

Edit: Nevermind, you answered in the post right about this. Thanks! Go Bills!

Edited by DrDareustein

If the guys in the Bills locker room don't care, Why should the Fans? You can't tell what kind of teammate a guy is by the way he dances in the end zone.

If the leaders on the team want to keep him aroung they should sign him, If they don't and feel they are better without him then let him go...

The Bengals thought they were screwed without Ocho too.... They don't seem to miss him.

On the same hand I have not heard any rumblings about locker room issues and I see him next to his QB on the sidelines all the time presumably trying to figure out how to win.

It's not like he is cleating guys on the head or shoving around the refereee's...

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Playing = fun

Watching the competition = fun

Winning = fun

Deciding that winning is the only important thing in life = not fun

Some of my fondest memories in competition involve the memory of a losing effort.

Are we talking about participation or spectating?

I'm coming from the participant angle...

The point of football is...

1) Fun

2) Winning

That's how I've always seen it anyway. To me, seeing the Bills win is secondary to taking Sunday off to veg on the couch with some chips and guacamole and have some fun watching football. So when Stevie makes me laugh like that, it's 100% a positive.

If you accomplish #2 on your list-#1 comes automatically. So in theory you have them backwards.

If the guys in the Bills locker room don't care, Why should the Fans? You can't tell what kind of teammate a guy is by the way he dances in the end zone.

If the leaders on the team want to keep him aroung they should sign him, If they don't and feel they are better without him then let him go...

The Bengals thought they were screwed without Ocho too.... They don't seem to miss him.

On the same hand I have not heard any rumblings about locker room issues and I see him next to his QB on the sidelines all the time presumably trying to figure out how to win.

It's not like he is cleating guys on the head or shoving around the refereee's...

I don't think anyone's implying that Stevie's behavior is indiciative of an internal TEAM problem. Rather, I think the implication is that it's an internal STEVIE problem--signs of immaturity.

What's there to "celebrate" when you're in desperation mode, still needing 6 points for a come from behind win AT HOME to end a FOUR GAME LOSING streak? Also, to touch on my response to Sage, what's "fun" about anything of the circumstances in this scenario. Stevie gets paid to win. Not to have fun.

What I find absurd is the assumption that the "waddle" took focus away from preparing for the game. Stevie is a creative guy and I find it hard to believe that he spends any more time than a few minutes on thinking of celebrations. It's not about getting all the attention, it's about having fun. I don't see how that is a negative in the least.

This post is "dumb dumb dumb" SJ is one of the best players on our team. This is his 2nd year as a starter. OK he dropped a big one last year and this year. HE WAS A 7TH ROUND PICK! I think he is playing well and learning in the process. I hope he continues to do what he did after every score from here on out! It was great! U R an idiot for suggesting he be fined for that. If u r not an idiot u must b a troll or both! Nice post. Can't beleive i started to read this crap!

Edited by snamsnoops

I cant wait til you idiots start complaining once Stevie leaves in FA and start blaming Ralph and Buddy.

Kind of like you guys ran Marshawn out of town, now look at him...

No fan or group of fans has ever ran anyone out of town, kept someone in town or brought someone in town. NFL franchises, and especially the Buffalo Bills couldn't give a care less what their fans think, especially when it comes to personnel decisions.

It was horrible all those years when Thurman would score and then hand the ball to the ref also. Couldn't he have come up with some kind of dance to celebrate?

As he said in his HOF speech, he did celebrate the first time he scored. Marv Levy jumped his ass and told him to "Act Like You Have Been There Before" and he never did again. Now that is class. Even Thurman mentioned how that little thing from Marv helped him grow up. Not sure if Johnson will ever grow up, but then again he will never be half the player Thurman was either.

What I find absurd is the assumption that the "waddle" took focus away from preparing for the game. Stevie is a creative guy and I find it hard to believe that he spends any more time than a few minutes on thinking of celebrations. It's not about getting all the attention, it's about having fun. I don't see how that is a negative in the least.

Just to simplify the logic I'm applying (read no snarkiness, please)

Even being conscious of the opportunity for a smart ass response to a week-old scolding when you're in crunch time and the season is on the line = immature.

Dropping passes when you're wide open and it's crunch time = immature.

THEREFORE

Even being conscious of the opportunity for a smart ass response to a week-old scolding when you're in crunch time and the season is on the line = Dropping passes when you're wide open and it's crunch time

This post is "dumb dumb dumb" SJ is one of the best players on our team. This is his 2nd year as a starter. OK he dropped a big one last year and this year. HE WAS A 7TH ROUND PICK! I think he is playing well and learning in the process. I hope he continues to do what he did after every score from here on out! It was great! U R an idiot for suggesting he be fined for that. If u r not an idiot u must b a troll or both! Nice post. Can't beleive i started to read this crap!

amen to the first part of the post. boo to the second part about my being an idiot or a troll. it's just a way to pass some time.

boo i dont like young people bahhh your to loud!! get off my lawn you gang member with your new jeans and fancy clothes! boooo.

seriously get a life. if you scored a td infront of 60000 people youd probably crap yourself.

boo i dont like young people bahhh your to loud!! get off my lawn you gang member with your new jeans and fancy clothes! boooo.

seriously get a life. if you scored a td infront of 60000 people youd probably crap yourself.

Yeah, and I'm a professional ninja. If Stevie had MY job, he'd crap HIMSELF. What's your point?

Yes, Hoge was over the top in making an ass out of himself. An even bigger ass than SJ made of himself. It was a ridiculous idea.

Yeah that was an obnoxious segment from Merrill. Chris McKendry and Bucci I believe were the other 2 in the segment and looked shocked at the idea.

Just to simplify the logic I'm applying (read no snarkiness, please)

Even being conscious of the opportunity for a smart ass response to a week-old scolding when you're in crunch time and the season is on the line = immature.

Dropping passes when you're wide open and it's crunch time = immature.

THEREFORE

Even being conscious of the opportunity for a smart ass response to a week-old scolding when you're in crunch time and the season is on the line = Dropping passes when you're wide open and it's crunch time

so he gave the ball to the ref in a way you didnt see fit? lol... hahah NINJA PLEASE! gtfoh..timing is bad for it booo. take that outta here mr moral police. holding a 20something kid to your own personal standards? ill bet $ he wouldnt approve of they way you do things either. btw how much does your professional ninja job pay?

I nearly fell on the floor from laughing so hard when Stevie did that crazy waddle :lol::w00t::lol:

(I'll bet even the ref thought it was hysterical!)

SJ is a joy and a delight - it's been forever since the Bills have had a player with the talent of SJ and the fun personality to go with it! Assuming he's learned (from his previous transgressions) what's appropriate and what's not, when it's OK to act goofy and when it's not, and that he now knows the location of that 'line that can't be crossed' when it comes to conduct on and off the field, I sincerely hope Stevie is a Buffalo Bill for years to come.

We used to have a talented and punishing young running back by the name of 'BeastMode' who would have been equally as fun - BOO HISS to those that ran Marshawn Lynch outa town and now would do the same to SJ.

In my book, Stevie Johnson is :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edited by The Senator

so he gave the ball to the ref in a way you didnt see fit? lol... hahah NINJA PLEASE! gtfoh..timing is bad for it booo. take that outta here mr moral police. holding a 20something kid to your own personal standards? ill bet $ he wouldnt approve of they way you do things either. btw how much does your professional ninja job pay?

It really has nothing to do with morals. If it did, I'd have a problem with celebrations, period. I don't.

I have a problem with Stevie's immaturity costing us TWO games now: one of which was a division game with the season on the brink. If he catches that ball over the middle against the Jets, all is forgiven. But he didn't. Because he wasn't FOCUSSED! He wasn't focussed because he's IMMATURE.

Also, I'm exactly two years and one week older than Stevie. Not exactly Sergeant Old Fart belly aching about some flim flammin whipper snapper over here.

I can't speak for the Big Cat, but the standard baseline is around $32K. No benefits, but monstrous perks.

Most definitely. The vast majority of my "compensation" comes in addition to my salary.

808, I can forward your resume, if you like. Quick question: how long can you hold your breath?

It really has nothing to do with morals. If it did, I'd have a problem with celebrations, period. I don't.

I have a problem with Stevie's immaturity costing us TWO games now: one of which was a division game with the season on the brink. If he catches that ball over the middle against the Jets, all is forgiven. But he didn't. Because he wasn't FOCUSSED! He wasn't focussed because he's IMMATURE.

Also, I'm exactly two years and one week older than Stevie. Not exactly Sergeant Old Fart belly aching about some flim flammin whipper snapper over here.

Most definitely. The vast majority of my "compensation" comes in addition to my salary.

808, I can forward your resume, if you like. Quick question: how long can you hold your breath?

his immaturity has nothing to do with his stone hands. why would it? so if your a mature person your better at playing football????? his immaturity has ZERO to do with him costing the team those wins. he wasnt dancing down the field and a ball was thrown to him and he was to busy dancing. seriously relate to me how him being mature matters at all to catching a ball and you might have a argument here. maturity doesnt make you focus either.

btw i have a hard time going all in on him being the one who cost us the game. in plain view with no memory yah if he had caught 1 of um then great. but there was miscues the whole game that he had nothing to do with. he didnt play OLB/DE and lose contain on CJ all day. the team wouldnt have had to rely on him that heavily if the D was able to stop CJ as well

his immaturity has nothing to do with his stone hands. why would it? so if your a mature person your better at playing football????? his immaturity has ZERO to do with him costing the team those wins. he wasnt dancing down the field and a ball was thrown to him and he was to busy dancing. seriously relate to me how him being mature matters at all to catching a ball and you might have a argument here. maturity doesnt make you focus either.

btw i have a hard time going all in on him being the one who cost us the game. in plain view with no memory yah if he had caught 1 of um then great. but there was miscues the whole game that he had nothing to do with. he didnt play OLB/DE and lose contain on CJ all day. the team wouldnt have had to rely on him that heavily if the D was able to stop CJ as well

If you don't understand the correlation between attitude, priorities, maturity, focus and performance, then you, friend, are NOT prepared for the ninja life. I rescind my offer to advance your resume.

If you don't understand the correlation between attitude, priorities, maturity, focus and performance, then you, friend, are NOT prepared for the ninja life. I rescind my offer to advance your resume.

dude seriously. his maturity has nothing to do with his skills as a football player. so if your mature and work hard you can be a NFL player? if this were true the hardest working players would be the best players. it just simply is not how it works.

your tryna say because he has amusing td celebrations that he doesnt work hard and is lazy in practice and that if he would just focus he would do it better. and thats wrong his celebrations have zero to do with his work ethic/maturity.

not even in the real work force of normal people do the hardest working mature people getting the best jobs and succeeding. he was born with this skill set. he works on it. but he could work harder then anyone else in the building. it will not make him catch a ball better. seriously tho