Marshawn

The funniest past is that some of the posters lamenting the Lynch trade were the exact same ones running him out of town last season.

Well at least they were smart enough to see the error in hindsight. Some people still don't get it.

Pretty much. The only thing to add is that if they were had a football woody for a RB in that draft and were totally convinced he was a huge upgrade over what they had, then taking that RB isn't necessarily a mistake if they had already done the leg work and knew pretty much how they could turn around and parlay their stack of talent at the position into more picks. (Draft day trades don't just fall out of the sky.) Then, they upgrade the RB position AND strengthen another position of weakness. But, they hedged their bets when they took Spiller and tried to talk around the idea that they were being innovative and ahead of the curve because their offense was going to use a 3 RB system. The 3 back system never materialized, Spiller lost the starting job after 1 game, and they traded Marshawn and his 1st rounder contract as the trading deadline approached.

The team did not get better in 2010 as a result. Indeed, unless Spiller suddenly turns into a better back that Marshawn, it will continue to be argued that this series of moves were mistakes.

Right on man. I would actually go even farther to say that is Spiller does become a better back than Marshawn was it really worth the #9 overall pick for a slight upgrade? We could have provided this team with a lot of help with some of the OL, LBs and DEs on the board when we took Spiller how I do like to be honest. Also it was the 2010 draft not the 2009 draft.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to use you as the example but you are one of the guys that just doesn't get it. Marshawn has 854yds and 8 TDs this year while learning a new offense on a team worse than ours. He is a good RB. What people REALLY don't get is that if we kept the guy we didn't need to blow the #9 pick overall in the 2009 draft for another RB.

Do you get it now? We keep Marshawn and that #9 over all pick becomes a difference maker at another position. End result? The TEAM is better. As always we like to keep making the same holes over and over again and burn resources to refill them. This is how bad teams stay bad.

Please get off the "thug" thing too. It's offensive and pretty tired. The whiney Buffalo fans blew that all out of proportion.

Thug

noun

1.a cruel or vicious ruffian, robber, or murderer.

2.( sometimes initial capital letter ) one of a former group of professional robbers and murderers in India who strangled their victims.

Agree that the term "thug" is unfair to Lynch. People tend to use words without understanding the true meaning sometimes as words often take on different meanings in the modern vernacular. I doubt ANYONE thinks Lynch is a murderer.

I prefer the term "scofflaw" instead. There is simply no denying that in Lynch's case. Whether that was due to simple immaturity or not doesn't matter. He was a two-strike problem for the Bills and he no longer fit in their plans as a result. It was a business decision they felt they had to make. Had nothing to do with his production on the field or his relative talent as a running back. Fair or not, teams make decisions like this all the time.

GO BILLS!!!

He should have never been hired in the first place. "Genius" personnel execs don't usually get their first big break at 70.

I'm not saying that you fire him but it's just delaying the inevitable. Other than Barnett and a couple of average street free agents, what has Buddy done in two years? There is not an impact player on this team that he brought in whether it be through the draft or FA.

How's that "rebuilt" defense looking after two years? :bag:

I guess you give him a third year but this off season will be the most challenging by far.

I can understand that logic (not agree with it, but is understandable). I think the combination of Nix and Whaley can get this franchise a strong foundation. I still maintain that we cannot evaluate the drafted D talent with our current DC. And given we went so D-heavy in both drafts, his personnel choices look suspect as of now. Let us get a proven DC next year and see how the D performs.

Agree that the term "thug" is unfair to Lynch. People tend to use words without understanding the true meaning sometimes as words often take on different meanings in the modern vernacular. I doubt ANYONE thinks Lynch is a murderer.

I prefer the term "scofflaw" instead. There is simply no denying that in Lynch's case. Whether that was due to simple immaturity or not doesn't matter. He was a two-strike problem for the Bills and he no longer fit in their plans as a result. It was a business decision they felt they had to make. Had nothing to do with his production on the field or his relative talent as a running back. Fair or not, teams make decisions like this all the time.

GO BILLS!!!

Excellent word of the day K-9. I'll have to remember that one. A little classier than idiot. LOL. Despite his troubles I think he learned his lesson and history has certainly born that out. His teammates love him everywhere he has been and played and he is one the hardest runners in the NFL.

I really think that The Bills plans were to start Freddie and groom Spiller. Spiller only got the start his rookie year due to yet another injury for Jackson. His hand was all banged(broken?) up in preseason. Unfortunately we can't change the past but we can learn from it's mistakes.

I have really come down to potentially this teams biggest problem being getting rid of good talent and squandering resources to refill the same holes. That philosophy needs to change before we truly get better and become a superbowl contender. If we keep running guys with shiny gold teeth and dreadlocks out of town there might not be anyone left to play for the Bills.

Edited by PDaDdy

The funniest past is that some of the posters lamenting the Lynch trade were the exact same ones running him out of town last season.

I wasn't one of those, but I will confess to being OK with trading McGahee at the time for a couple of nonproductive third round draft picks. I disliked McGahee's personality, which was irrelevant in the end. That was stupid of me.

Excellent word of the day K-9. I'll have to remember that one. A little classier than idiot. LOL. Despite his troubles I think he learned his lesson and history has certainly born that out. His teammates love him everywhere he been and played and he is one the hardest runners in the NFL.

I really think that The Bills plans were to start Freddie and groom Spiller. Spiller only got the start his rookie year due to yet another injury for Jackson. His hand was all banged(broken?) up in preseason. Unfortunately we can't change the past but we can learn from it's mistakes.

I have really come down to potentially this teams biggest problem is getting rid of good talent and squandering resources to refill the same holes. That philosophy needs to change before we truly get better and become a superbowl contender. If we keep running guys with shiny gold teeth and dreadlocks out of town their might not be anyone left to play for the Bills.

You seem to imply that the Bills brass had some sort of cultural aversion to Lynch. He was a dreadlocked, grill-wearing, hip-hop loving RB when they drafted him out of Cal. Lynch's appearance and vocabulary had nothing to do with the Bills decision to draft him nor did it have anything to do with their decision to seek a trade for him. If he were a button-downed Ivy league star that just fell off the dry-cleaning truck implicated in a hit and run, asked to leave bars because he brought his own liquor, and caught smoking weed with a gun in his car facing a year-long suspension for one more offense, the Bills STILL would have sought to part ways with him.

As long as players with shiny gold teeth and dreads stay out of trouble and produce for the team, the Bills will be happy to keep them. Glad Lynch has found a new start and grown up in Seattle but that doesn't make the Bills wrong given what they had to go by at the time.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I can understand that logic (not agree with it, but is understandable). I think the combination of Nix and Whaley can get this franchise a strong foundation. I still maintain that we cannot evaluate the drafted D talent with our current DC. And given we went so D-heavy in both drafts, his personnel choices look suspect as of now. Let us get a proven DC next year and see how the D performs.

After 2 years of the "rebuild" look at all of the needs that the Bills still have there. Two starting OLB's (Which are the most important and impactful positions in a 3-4), a true NT, 2 CBs and a ton of depth especially at OLB. What the hell has done in the two previous years?

I'm not a fan of Edwards but when he's got Spencer Johnson, Chris Kelsay and Danny Batten at THE most important position on D, what the hell is he supposed to do?

Well at least they were smart enough to see the error in hindsight. Some people still don't get it.

Right on man. I would actually go even farther to say that is Spiller does become a better back than Marshawn was it really worth the #9 overall pick for a slight upgrade? We could have provided this team with a lot of help with some of the OL, LBs and DEs on the board when we took Spiller how I do like to be honest. Also it was the 2010 draft not the 2009 draft.

Spiller a slight upgrade over Lynch? I suppose Todd Collins was a slight upgrade to Jim Kelly too? All they had to do was extend Lynch, that would have given us two very good backs (both 1,000 yard rushers), used that #9 pick on a position that we really needed (OL, DL, LB, QB, etc.) and we wouldn't be in the pickle we are in with Freddie out now.

shhhh, don't rile up the homers

It was a brilliant move to trade Marshawn Lynch and Lee Evans both Buffalo Bills first rounders for 4th round picks... right?

Exactly, don't rile up the dilusional Bills fans that chug the Ralph Wilson Kool-Aid and think this joke of a franchise can do no wrong. This front office has done nothing but screw up since they got here, and anyone that cannot see that is living in a fantasy world, or a world where pathetic is more then acceptable.

Spiller a slight upgrade over Lynch? I suppose Todd Collins was a slight upgrade to Jim Kelly too? All they had to do was extend Lynch, that would have given us two very good backs (both 1,000 yard rushers), used that #9 pick on a position that we really needed (OL, DL, LB, QB, etc.) and we wouldn't be in the pickle we are in with Freddie out now.

Exactly, don't rile up the dilusional Bills fans that chug the Ralph Wilson Kool-Aid and think this joke of a franchise can do no wrong. This front office has done nothing but screw up since they got here, and anyone that cannot see that is living in a fantasy world, or a world where pathetic is more then acceptable.

I agree with 1/2 the logic, because Spiller is looking like a bad pick. We'll know for sure by the end of this year because he will be starting.

The part I don't agree with is about Marshawn. The guy was facing a one year suspension with one more screwup. Given his history of screwing up, that was a legitimate concern. I think trading him was justified, given his penchant for making bad decisions.

The #9 pick on spiller, no matter what we did with marshawn, is starting to look bad. I think Nix underestimated how poorly the team had drafted for the previous 10 years and tried to pick a luxury guy.

Actually, he has about 1000 yards from scrimmage and 9 tds, but who's counting? We got ourselves a new top ten RB. meanwhile, mcgahee may very well end up reaching 10,000 yards for his career, and he's presently 44th all time in rushing tds. The collective stupidity of this team is mind-boggling.

Well, talk about stupicity, McGahee had to have his signals sent in from the sideline a couple of years....had could not learn the playbook when here.....Marv always wants smart players.....McGahee was never one of those. If he had stayed, McGahee would have fit right in with the "collective stupicity" you mention

Lynch is a slug finally delivering in a contract year. He never ran in Buffalo like he ran last night. Never. And his mother cheats at Bingo!

I guess you never watched the Bills when he played? The run in OT against the Bungals comes to mind right away. Some people on here convince themselves into believing things that never happened here to make themselves feel better about being Bills fans. Take it for what it is, live in reality.

A lot of guys are idiots off the field, to bad our were in the FO.

Freddy was just better but Beast mode is better than spiller.

Yeah and Beastmode actually gets to carry the rock for them soooooo?

This whole thing is just stupid

Freddie better then Beastmode

Beastmode gets more opportunites then Spiller

What is the problem?

Actually, he has about 1000 yards from scrimmage and 9 tds, but who's counting? We got ourselves a new top ten RB. meanwhile, mcgahee may very well end up reaching 10,000 yards for his career, and he's presently 44th all time in rushing tds. The collective stupidity of this team is mind-boggling.

I hope we draft another RB in the first round again. Can't have enough 1st round RB talent.

You seem to imply that the Bills brass had some sort of cultural aversion to Lynch. He was a dreadlocked, grill-wearing, hip-hop loving RB when they drafted him out of Cal. Lynch's appearance and vocabulary had nothing to do with the Bills decision to draft him nor did it have anything to do with their decision to seek a trade for him. If he were a button-downed Ivy league star that just fell off the dry-cleaning truck implicated in a hit and run, asked to leave bars because he brought his own liquor, and caught smoking weed with a gun in his car facing a year-long suspension for one more offense, the Bills STILL would have sought to part ways with him.

As long as players with shiny gold teeth and dreads stay out of trouble and produce for the team, the Bills will be happy to keep them. Glad Lynch has found a new start and grown up in Seattle but that doesn't make the Bills wrong given what they had to go by at the time.

GO BILLS!!!

Does Marshawn still end up on the police blotter in Seattle or did he just do that here in Buffalo?

Yeah and Beastmode actually gets to carry the rock for them soooooo?

This whole thing is just stupid

Freddie better then Beastmode

Beastmode gets more opportunites then Spiller

What is the problem?

The problem is Spiller, pretty obvious. Which that leads to a bigger problem, Buddy Nix. Like someone else said, Brilliant Personnel Executives don't usually get their "Big Break" at the age of 70.