Do you honestly care about sports?

I used to follow everything in sports, almost out of a sense of obligation. I'm older now, and just like I will give a book 30 pages to win me or I toss it aside, I only follow the Sabres and Bills. Haven't watched hoops in years, watched this year's World Series because it was on during a family reunion. Lots of fun, but a regular season baseball game? Not in years.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Less and less, as what used to be an enjoyable once or twice a week entertainment respite from the 'real world' has become a raging 24/7 media monster, where personalities and 'plot lines' matter more than honest competition.

The evolution of Internet MB content to nothing more than incessant bitching and moaning has helped speed the slide down this slippery slope for me as well...

i think i'm obsessed with sports to a fault. if things aren't going well with the Bills and Sabres, both of which I am quite diehard, I feel like it ruins my week. After a Sabres loss, I get up in the morning agitated. If the Bills lose a winnable game, I avoid ESPN until Friday. I think it's important to have a string of other shows to watch in an attempt to "get away" from the sports world when things are going sour. Lately I've been into Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, and The Wire - mucccch better than endless showings of sportscenter.

additionally, i'll watch/follow march madness, PGA majors, anything with Tiger, and the entire NHL/NFL like it's my job.

NFL Bills of course and most other games.

Going to miss the NBA and my Kings this year as I don't think there is going to be a season.

Will watch the Sabres when they get in the playoffs.

March Madness is cool go Syracuse.

Baseball and the Yankees liking less and less.

Golf majors I'll watch on occasion.

Yes I'd have to say I care about sports. :beer:

I love sports, love the games. What I don't love anymore, is all the hype and all the "news"...I haven't wathced an NFL pre-game show in about 3 years. Back in the day, after watching a game of some kind (NFL, NHL, NBA especially) I would watch Sports Center to see the whole day in sports. Now, I only tune in, on the odd night that I can't watch a Sabres game (last night for instance), to see if they won. If I see the score on the ticker, and it might have been a good game (ie: a win) I might stay tuned a few more minutes to see if their are high-lights...but I won't wait too long. I just get really wary of "big stories" that aren't really significant in any way ("OOhhh...did you hear Eli Manning thinks he is as good as Tom Brady? What so our 10 "experts" think?" That kind of bull **** is nausiating.)

I really dig the NHL. Honestly, the fact that, by and large, few people care about it, is part of its' appeal. It doesn't get over-analyzed (in the US anyways)...in fact, I listen to a fair amount of sports talk radio, and the most common statement made about hockey is "nobody cares". Good...it is a pro sporty that has the best players in the world, but compared to the NFL and NBA, it is treated, and covered as if it were minor league. For some reason, that makes it only more appealing to me.

Now, occaisionaly, there are some legit "big stories" like the Penn State scandal that rivet me. It isn't so much that it has anything to do with anything on the field, but it kind of puts sports in their proper perspective, for me. I have been the "super fan" at times in my life (mostly when I was younger) so I don't begrudge people their passion...it is fun. But, when I saw the reaction to the scandal amongst the Penn State students, when that story first broke, I was kind of embarassed for them...and for me. Sports are great, and they are a big part of my life, but there are things more important.

One thing I love, and it doesn't happen as often as it used to, for me, is when everything is just right, by myself, and I just get wrapped up in a game, with nobody yacking in my ear, and not having to do other things as I am watching. Sometimes, I find myself coming to TSW during Sabres games, or MNF, or something (not the the Bills though), and getting into "discussions" on the Shoutbox...as fun as that can be, I realize, I am missing the game! Gotta stop doing that...NHL playoff games are always like this for me, unless it is a blowout type game...I get really transfixed, and it is very relaxing...and it doesn't cost me much... :thumbsup:

Edited by Buftex

I love sports, love the games. What I don't love anymore, is all the hype and all the "news"...I haven't wathced an NFL pre-game show in about 3 years. Back in the day, after watching a game of some kind (NFL, NHL, NBA especially) I would watch Sports Center to see the whole day in sports. Now, I only tune in, on the odd night that I can't watch a Sabres game (last night for instance), to see if they won. If I see the score on the ticker, and it might have been a good game (ie: a win) I might stay tuned a few more minutes to see if their are high-lights...but I won't wait too long. I just get really wary of "big stories" that aren't really significant in any way ("OOhhh...did you hear Eli Manning thinks he is as good as Tom Brady? What so our 10 "experts" think?" That kind of bull **** is nausiating.)

What's even worse is when they start showing what so and so said on twitter.

I just turned on ESPN and they were interviewing Kermit the Frog and some other muppet!

Edited by reddogblitz

I follow my teams and that's about it.

I followed MLB more this year than years past because the Pirates were competitive for the first half the season. Once they were no longer in the hunt in the NL Central, I stopped following baseball.

I follow the Spurs in basketball but I think the NBA has gotten pretty awful and what it needs is a year off.

Last week was rough. Endless Penn state, NBA lockout. I just want NFL, [heavy on the Bills, but like chat on other teams]. Question I guess is would you realy care [i mean CARE] about sports if not for the NFL and the Bills?

not 1 bit-

MLB- Gone, could care less

NBA- ditto

NHL- ditto

Really, the NFL is all I really are about. Even college football, to me is way to disjointed and they have the horrid system for determining the rankings. If college was like Pro I maght care more, but all the Bowls and crap... meh-

I follow my teams and that's about it.

I followed MLB more this year than years past because the Pirates were competitive for the first half the season. Once they were no longer in the hunt in the NL Central, I stopped following baseball.

I follow the Spurs in basketball but I think the NBA has gotten pretty awful and what it needs is a year off.

You from Pittsburgh also. Another fan that must suffer the past decade of Pirates/Bills! At least we have the Penguins. (if indeed you are a Pens fan).

Afraid so. I like the Yankees, Notre Dame and Oklahoma college football, Sabres hockey, boxing and MMA. The only difference is that as I get older, losses don't bother me as much. Still hate when my teams lose, but it's not life and death like it used to be. As far as the NBA is concerned, I could care less. Haven't watched a game in years even though I played basketball growing up and in High School. That stuff they pass off as professional basketball these days is just a higher level of what you see on the playground.

• 3 weeks later...

Baseball - Texas Rangers

If the NBA never had another game it wouldn't bother me.

I don't do hockey.

I don't like college football because there's too many blowouts and no playoffs.

Go BILLS !!

Wow Reddog, kindred spirits . . .

Rangers fan; is something going on with the NBA--I haven't heard? hockey is only interesting in person; becoming more disillusioned with college football by the day--the only thing that will save it is a play-off system; but March madness is always fun for a few weeks . . .

I would add this about sports: I (and I think "we") always love a compelling and interesting story. For example: Houston yesterday; My HS alma mater is in the PA state semifinals for the first time ever=GO GATORS!;Just read a book called "Remember Why You Play"--about a HS football coach & team in Texas; Not a fan of his, but Tiger Woods in the hunt this weekend; the last half of the NASCAR race last weekend; Love Boise St for their potential to wreck the BCS each year; Underdog stories; Little League WS when a local team is in it; etc.; and always a fan of those teams I have personal connections with like the local HS, my college, people I know, etc.

I prefer baseball (and its fan culture, which is generally smarter and better informed than NFL fans, in my opinion) to football, although I'm obviously a pretty hardcore fan of the Bills. I have grown increasingly opposed ideologically to college sports. Two sports is enough for me.

Same.