Bills (Ralph) desperate

bananathumb

I don't know maybe part of the problem is that the economy is in a cesspool. The population as a whole is not spending because they just don't know what the future holds.

I think it would be a good idea for the uber fans who drive 500 miles to attend a game to support a huge surcharge on their tickets to pay for the stadium renovations instead of sticking the taxpayers in WNY with a 100 million dollar bill to pay for your entertainment.

You guys are the "real" fans right? Maybe you should step up to the plate and show your commitment.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know maybe part of the problem is that the economy is in a cesspool. The population as a whole is not spending because they just don't know what the future holds.

I think it would be a good idea for the uber fans who drive 500 miles to attend a game to support a huge surcharge on their tickets to pay for the stadium renovations instead of sticking the taxpayers in WNY with a 100 million dollar bill to pay for your entertainment.

You guys are the "real" fans right? Maybe you should step up to the plate and show your commitment.

Sure thing. A very WNY attitude. You pay, I'll complain.

PTR

i disagree. for past 20 years ... and i haven't gone back further, it's historically been more difficult to sell tickets for games in December and beyond, whether the Bills are winning or losing, whether it's playoffs or not. the numbers state this. there's no getting around it.

i don't know how this is debatable.

jw

It goes without saying that the December sales are tougher. It's cold, the Bills are usually out of any contention whatsoever, the holidays keep people home and the expense comes at a time when funds are needed for those holidays.

But what you are overlooking is the relatively astounding attendance in the 2000's despite a thoroughly non-competitive team.

The Bills are in the midst of their longest playoff drought in their history........THE LONGEST CURRENT STRETCH OF PLAYOFF FUTILITY IN THE NFL.......yet they continue to sellout most games and they will sell on average 60,000 tickets for each of three late season games even if they lose every game from here out.

The Bills are easily among the 5 worst NFL franchises of the last decade. Very arguably the worst. Yet last year, they ranked 10th in the league in attendance. Quite obvioulsy, the Bills fan of today is not a front runner.

In the mid 1980's, just a few years removed from a couple playoff appearances, the Bills couldn't draw flies after the home opener. Had the Bills not changed their marketing plan, that would have been the case here in the 2000's.

It goes without saying that the December sales are tougher. It's cold, the Bills are usually out of any contention whatsoever, the holidays keep people home and the expense comes at a time when funds are needed for those holidays.

But what you are overlooking is the relatively astounding attendance in the 2000's despite a thoroughly non-competitive team.

The Bills are in the midst of their longest playoff drought in their history........THE LONGEST CURRENT STRETCH OF PLAYOFF FUTILITY IN THE NFL.......yet they continue to sellout most games and they will sell on average 60,000 tickets for each of three late season games even if they lose every game from here out.

The Bills are easily among the 5 worst NFL franchises of the last decade. Very arguably the worst. Yet last year, they ranked 10th in the league in attendance. Quite obvioulsy, the Bills fan of today is not a front runner.

In the mid 1980's, just a few years removed from a couple playoff appearances, the Bills couldn't draw flies after the home opener. Had the Bills not changed their marketing plan, that would have been the case here in the 2000's.

There's always an excuse...we suck...it's too cold...it's a holiday...they might lose. Wahhhh.

PTR

There's always an excuse...we suck...it's too cold...it's a holiday...they might lose. Wahhhh.

PTR

Why all the drama? People either want to go or they do not. Doesn't make them any more or less a fan of the team. Also doesn't make the team any more or less likely to relocate. All it means is if the games do not sell out then the people who want to watch at home have to watch the low resolution internet feed on their TVs or computer screens rather than in HD. A restriction, by the way, that no other televised sport that I am aware of imposes (off topic I know but that is a hot button topic for me :) ).

PTR

For those who don't know, Promo couldn't make his career work in WNY, so he excused himself and left for a place where he could. Excuses for not going to a Bills game are a reminder of the excuses he made for leaving. Self loathing has become fan hatred for him.

Moving away from WNY makes some people feel closer to/more interested in WNY than they felt when they actually lived here. But some people like Promo get out of control catholic guilt about leaving. It's OK Promo, don't hate the fans. The Bills have been given no less than they deserve from the community, hating on the fans is illogical.

Edited by Dick Drawn

For those who don't know, Promo couldn't make his career work in WNY, so he excused himself and left for a place where he could. Excuses for not going to a Bills game are a reminder of the excuses he made for leaving. Self loathing has become fan hatred for him.

Moving away from WNY makes some people feel closer to/more interested in WNY than they felt when they actually lived here. But some people like Promo get out of control catholic guilt about leaving. It's OK Promo, don't hate the fans. The Bills have been given no less than they deserve from the community, hating on the fans is illogical.

Very true, haven't lived in WNY for 16 years. When I go back friends and relatives get irritated because I just want to drive around and look at stuff.

Never went to Bills games because it was hunting season.

i disagree. for past 20 years ... and i haven't gone back further, it's historically been more difficult to sell tickets for games in December and beyond, whether the Bills are winning or losing, whether it's playoffs or not. the numbers state this. there's no getting around it.

jw

JW, just going from my memory, which is far from perfect - other than the Oilers game, I don't ever remember an important late-season Bills game being blacked out. Not saying it hasn't happened, but I am struggling to recall one.

OK, well I live 1500 miles away and I'm up to about $6K in "commitment" this season. How much more would you like me to pay?

JW, just going from my memory, which is far from perfect - other than the Oilers game, I don't ever remember an important late-season Bills game being blacked out. Not saying it hasn't happened, but I am struggling to recall one.

I don't think Kelly's last game, a play-off game against the Jags, was televised.

I think the thing about this thread is all the mocking that happens regarding a team that is trying to do something to sell tickets in an effort to boost home field advantage. I don't understand why a bunch of miserable "fans" would mock a team that is trying to be successful.

I know some people who come here are moronic miserable bastards, and it boggles my mind why someone would waste their time coming here if the Bills make them miserable. It's really comical.

I think the thing about this thread is all the mocking that happens regarding a team that is trying to do something to sell tickets in an effort to boost home field advantage. I don't understand why a bunch of miserable "fans" would mock a team that is trying to be successful.

I know some people who come here are moronic miserable bastards, and it boggles my mind why someone would waste their time coming here if the Bills make them miserable. It's really comical.

and sad.

+1,000

Amen.

jw

John is correct. The December games have always been more difficult to sell out even when they were great in the 90s. This is from the folowing article:

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2011/11/08/bills-launch-blitz-to-lift-december.html?page=2

"The Bills’ December ticket push is up against a still weak economy and heavy competition for the disposable income dollar.

Brandon admits those conditions are constants for the Bills organization. Still during the past decade, the team has sold out 83.25 percent of its home games compared with the 61 percent it sold out in 1990s when it was middle of a four Super Bowl run. The Orchard Park stadium seats just over 73,000.

Since 2000, the team has sold out 60 percent of its December home games, although Brandon conceded some were sold out when corporate sponsors or team owner Ralph Wilson bought the few remaining tickets. For a Dec. 26 game last season against the Patriots, local restaurateur Russell Salvatore bought approximately 5,000 remaining tickets to ensure a sell out and lift the local TV blackout."

John is correct. The December games have always been more difficult to sell out even when they were great in the 90s. This is from the folowing article:

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2011/11/08/bills-launch-blitz-to-lift-december.html?page=2

"The Bills’ December ticket push is up against a still weak economy and heavy competition for the disposable income dollar.

Brandon admits those conditions are constants for the Bills organization. Still during the past decade, the team has sold out 83.25 percent of its home games compared with the 61 percent it sold out in 1990s when it was middle of a four Super Bowl run. The Orchard Park stadium seats just over 73,000.

Since 2000, the team has sold out 60 percent of its December home games, although Brandon conceded some were sold out when corporate sponsors or team owner Ralph Wilson bought the few remaining tickets. For a Dec. 26 game last season against the Patriots, local restaurateur Russell Salvatore bought approximately 5,000 remaining tickets to ensure a sell out and lift the local TV blackout."

of course i'm correct. i essentially wrote the same story ... and was in the conference room with Jim Fink (the Biz Journal story author) interviewing Russ.

and yet, i guess that's not enough for at least one poster (not you Ray) for questioning where i got this information, as if i made it up. ... i mean, really.

Fact: The Bills have a difficult time selling out home games after Thanksgiving.

Fact: They've had more post-Thanksgiving sellouts in the past 10 years than in the 1990s.

Fact: They have about 57,000 seats left for their final three home games.

Add it up and it's clear: Bills fans hardly seem to be the hearty sort, they'd prefer to stay in the comfort of their own home rather than venture out to the stadium when the weather turns nasty whether the team they root for is winning or losing, hosting a playoff game or Cleveland.

jw

Edited by john wawrow