Burress' Assault on McKelvin

Joe13

While I agree that this non-call was horrible; and the blown INT reversal was horrible; I'm not losing sight of the fact that the Bills played a terrible football game and a couple TDs would have overcome crappy officiating. Bring on Dallas!!

While I agree that this non-call was horrible; and the blown INT reversal was horrible; I'm not losing sight of the fact that the Bills played a terrible football game and a couple TDs would have overcome crappy officiating. Bring on Dallas!!

Note to Bills players - quit wearing pink, brown or black gloves and wear white or like fluorescent yellow so you can clearly tell your hand is under the ball!

The more I think about the officiating, the more upset I am. It really seemed like the refs had an agenda. I'm not saying the Bills win should the game have been called fairly, but I'm convinced it goes down to the wire. Consider:

The phantom reversal on Wilson's interception. Did anyone see ANYTHING that could be construed as indisputable evidence that Wilson didn't catch the football? What's even stranger is the complete lack of an explanation by Hochuli. Every reversal that I've seen this season has come with an explanation as to the reasoning behind it. What is also bizarre is the fact they didn't play the replay at the stadium. Instead of the Bills having good field position in a scoreless tie, the Jets kicked a field goal to go up 3-0.

Second half: Down 3-0, Fitzpatrick goes deep to Jackson on a 3rd and 5 from the Bills 6 yard line. Jackson is mugged. The pass interference against him is far more egregious than either of the two tick-tack calls that the refs later called on the Bills. What is more, the PI against Jackson was similar to the ones called against Mckelvin and Mcgee, just more egregious. The route was the same, but Eric Smith was all over Jackson on the fly route as the ball got there as opposed to Mckelvin and Mcgee who seemed to make incidental contact with the receivers just as the ball arrived. Instead of being down 3-0 with good field position, the Bills are forced to punt out of the shadow of their own end zone. As a result of the good field positon, the Jets kick another long field goal to go up 6-0.

Jackson then fumbles the football, and the Burress play happens. If the play is called correctly, most likely the Jets kick another field goal, and the game is still within reach despite the already lopsided officiating and three Bills turnovers. But, another horrible call puts us down 13-0, and the rout is on. As mentioned above, two tick-tack long pass interference calls are made against the Bills, after two blatant calls were overlooked against the Jets, and the score becomes 27-3. The calls again put the Jets down at the Bills goal line and directly resulted in touchdowns for the Jets.

Yes, I know the Bills played poorly, but that is not the subject of the thread. If anyone can think of a call or two that went the Bills way, let me know. But, to me, this looked beyond the sloppy officiating we are used to in the NFL, and truly makes me question the integrity of the league.

three plays (wilson INT, non-call on burress and the weak call on mckelvin) are directly related to the bills losing this game...the jets had one gripe also (the hold that negated greene's big run) but that was a legit penalty

no, they didn't play their best game of the season and probably deserved to lose anyway, but that doesn't mean they would have...momentum is a huge factor, especially in a tight game at home...they had slow starts against the raiders and pats where the offense looked as bad as it did on sunday, but then got it turned around

it's not sour grapes to say the refs may have cost you the game when it's logical that they probably did

objective fans can admit that the comeback game may not have gone as it did if not for a blown call (beebe out of bounds) so it doesn't always mean you're a whiner when it goes the other way

Edited by QB Bills

It's not worth complaining about. Stevie does the one arm shove all the time and it does not get called. The Bills lost. What is important is the next game.

This wasn't a one arm shove though. Burress held his head down like he was trying to drown him then shoved him. It was extremely blatant.

OK... Refs may have made some bad calls or no call at all. However, it doesn't change the fact the the Bills got their asses thoroughly whipped on Sunday. Basically, the NFLs 26th ranked offense layed down almost 350 yards on the NFLs 26th ranked defense... and did it the old fashioned way... just beating them up. The Bills continue to be the Jets B word, until the Bill can demonstrate otherwise.

OK... Refs may have made some bad calls or no call at all. However, it doesn't change the fact the the Bills got their asses thoroughly whipped on Sunday. Basically, the NFLs 26th ranked offense layed down almost 350 yards on the NFLs 26th ranked defense... and did it the old fashioned way... just beating them up. The Bills continue to be the Jets B word, until the Bill can demonstrate otherwise.

No one is saying the Bills played well, but this thread is about the refs. You can say the refs were atrocious without considering the Bills performance at all. Given the above explanations as to how the bad calls all resulted in point swings in favor of the Jets, one can safely say the game would have been much closer with even-handed refereeing.

Edited by Nostradamus

Hey, the Bills got nearly 300.....so it wasn't as if they were dominated. The Jets got 80 on that first drive alone. Break the game down, we were outplayed, but the refs did have an impact on the final score. And they are not supposed to do that.

Whether or not they had an impact on who actually won, it's just impossible to say.

Did you see Burress’ assaults on McKelvin? How is this not pass interference? The Bills got cheated by the refs!

Thanks for the link....it is nice to see unbiased reporting showing what we all know. I know the Bills were outclassed but that is 70 yards and two TDs for the Jets and a 50 yard no call for the Bills on Freddy J's no call.

Take away those 2 TD's and the FG after the no-pick by Wilson and its 11-10 Bills.

Now this is NOT to say the Jets wouldn't have scored TD's or FG's on the 2 interference possessions, BUT it surely changed the complexion of the game and the Bills strategy.

Maybe the Bills would have started to play like they did against Oak or NE. We will never know.

I will also say the Bills had a couple of calls in their favor too - not to the magnitude of the interference call (& no call on Burress), but to the Jets credit they DID overcome them and kept driving.

Bottom line - we lost, but I reject the premise we were manhandled as so many say. LAST YEAR we were manhandled. This year it was hard fought in the trenches and you'd have to give the Jets the edge because they won. But they won with the help of 2 calls and a no-call (not to mention the other interference calls). It was more EVEN than most say. But people only look at the final score.

What are the Bills gonna do about it? They better get ticked off and go into Dallas, then Miami and dominate them like they should be able to do. This will set up the NY rematch in NEW JERSEY and I AM SURE the Bills will show up and play more physically the 2nd time around. Heck, by then the Jets, if they lose next week to the Pats, will be behind us again . . . Bills 7-3, Jets 6-4. Hey, ya'never know . . .

The more I think about the officiating, the more upset I am. It really seemed like the refs had an agenda.

Century 8, Quatrain 69

The Antichrists very soon annihilate the Bills of Buffalo,

Twenty-seven years the blood of this scourge will last.

The Billivers are dead, captive, exiled, ashamed;

With penalty flags, pass interference calls, and red challenge flags covering the earth.

this is the 3rd time ive seen freddy get straight assaulted on a pass play that would extend a drive in crucial times usually 3rd down. bengals/giants games where fred runs a route turns to locate the ball and whoever was on him doesnt turn around and runs into fred while fred almost makes the catch behind the defenders back.

its the same thing over and over. drives me insane that the refs are not calling that