Sunday's game experience

JPS

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess you had to be there. I've been going to games for 35 years and I've never seen or heard anything like it. It's not just the f bomb here and there. It was consistent and grossly offensive stuff said regardless of who was around them. Hocchuli was a c-sucker. Ryans wife sticks her toes somewhere. All with fbombs laced in. For 3 solid quarters.

That...and guys were just flat out hammered. You guys are okay with all that? Maybe I am getting old.

If you feel someone has crossed a line, all you have to do is report them and they'll get tossed pretty quick. Guess you didn't do that.

Forget about the game. That was brutal enough. I brought my family and a few friends in section 131 and there were fantastic displays of public drunkenness and about 10 people who inserted the F work in front of virtually everything. I am hoping it was an anomaly, but I just shouldn't have to apologize to my friends and explain to my daughter what a dirty Sanchez is.

Are we Bills fans really that bad?

It was pretty bad at Hammer's lot this game. Girls wearing low cut tops. My God Hammer's lot is not a tanning salon. When I tried to eat a hot dog, I got accosted by some dudes named Ketchup and Mustard. I think Jay Rubeo took some which I might need for evidence.

personally, i feel that there's no better place for a father to have "the talk" with his child than at a sporting event. that's how my dad did it with me and, hopefully one day, that's how i'll do it with my kids. and honestly, do you really want your daughter learning the intricacies of a dirty sanchez, cleveland steamer, rusty trombone or hairy houdini from her friends?

Good grief. Never say TBD isn't educational. I had no idea what any of those things were.

To the OP: did you report the behavior? I had heard they toss people who are "over the line" pretty quickly these days.

On the other hand, as far as plain profanity, on a recent group trip my daughter commented after watching a group of boys age 15-19 play cards, "I've never heard so much swearing in my life". Which considering her parent here, is saying something. Point is kids are pretty profane these days, even if your child is not chances are their ears have heard it all already.

I'm not saying that makes it right.

Unfortunately it is not something that is unique to Buffalo. I have been going to games for 15 years and I have always said I would not take my kids until they were at least 16.....no exceptions.

Yeah, I learned to watch and understand football on TV with my grandfather, but he would never take me to a game.

I left home at age 16 before he thought I was old enough for the atmosphere. Never did get to a game with him. Regrets.

Only trouble in my section was from the sloshed Jets fan sitting behind me, along with his girlfriend that was accused of spitting towards people. So no, bills fans aren't "that bad," they're not any worse than the drunk fans of other NFL teams.

I'd second the recommendation made above and try to get tickets to the non alcoholic family sections if you plan on taking a younger son or daughter. There's a reason why those sections exist in the first place.

Only trouble in my section was from the sloshed Jets fan sitting behind me, along with his girlfriend that was accused of spitting towards people. So no, bills fans aren't "that bad," they're not any worse than the drunk fans of other NFL teams.

I'd second the recommendation made above and try to get tickets to the non alcoholic family sections if you plan on taking a younger son or daughter. There's a reason why those sections exist in the first place.

I sat in the family section for the Steelers game last year. It is pretty tame, and we had kids with us. It was fine.

Bottom line, it is your decision to take the kids to the game. The behavior of fans is part of the experience.

Forget about the game. That was brutal enough. I brought my family and a few friends in section 131 and there were fantastic displays of public drunkenness and about 10 people who inserted the F work in front of virtually everything. I am hoping it was an anomaly, but I just shouldn't have to apologize to my friends and explain to my daughter what a dirty Sanchez is.

As others have said, and no matter what kind of family friendly spin King Roger tries to put on it, a NFL game is no place for kids.

It is not even a place for adults that aren't prepared for that kind of behavior from the intellectually stunted alcoholics whose idea of a good time is to drink themselves into a stupor before walking into the stadium. Those people are in the minority and you won't run into them every game, but you will be subjected to them.

If you can't or don't wish to deal with that behavior then you do what I do and watch on TV with my kids. That's just the way it is.

Edited by CodeMonkey

:worthy::w00t:

Did you have to tell her the truth?

PTR

then i think you answered your original concern yourself...it appears to be an anomaly....at least you appeared to get at least one good quarter...

Guess you had to be there. I've been going to games for 35 years and I've never seen or heard anything like it. It's not just the f bomb here and there. It was consistent and grossly offensive stuff said regardless of who was around them. Hocchuli was a c-sucker. Ryans wife sticks her toes somewhere. All with fbombs laced in. For 3 solid quarters.

That...and guys were just flat out hammered. You guys are okay with all that? Maybe I am getting old.

and the truth comes out...you weren't mad at the others, you were embarrassed your 16 year old had to tell YOU what a dirty sanchez is.... :pirate::devil:

She is 16. And it's not just her. I did not want to hear it.

Thanks for the replies. I guess maybe I am getting old.

To answer the question of whether it was reported, an older guy next to me reported it in the third quarter and a coupla yellow shirts came down to stop the madness. I tried to use that texting thing, but isn't kinda ironic that cell phones don't worl in the stadium? At least in 131 they don't.

Yes - the stadium experience, unless you are buffered in a box or the family section, is no place for anyone under PG-13. Hell, even in those circumstances, they have to walk through the lot(s), and those are at times right frmo Dante's Inferno. For the home opener, we sat in the best seats you can buy outside of a box and were privy to fights and general public lewd behavior. Would love to introduce my kids tot he stadium, but not for another half century or so - I dont want them thinking it is acceptable in any way or circumstance for people to behave this way...

I Started taking daughter and son to games back in the early 90s and they turned out just fine. Your kids are exposed a lot more in every day life than what they hear and see at a Bills game. Most of us just want to think that our Kids can't handle the stadium, but if you have done your job at home bring them up and taught what is right and wrong, the stadium should not be a problem.

It was my first time at a Bills game in Buffalo, and it was horrible. A lot of drunk fans trying to instigate fans. People throwing stuff, lots of cursing, etc etc. Not a family environment, and not what I expected of Bills fans. I love the team, but I'm not sure if I'm ever going to go to another game in Buffalo, that was just horrific.

My 13 year old son smelled pot for the first time...

There were people smoking up right next to us when we were tailgating. Right out in the open, pipes and all.

These threads come up at least once a year, and I always respond in the same way. I see no reason what so ever to not bring kids to a game. Mine are now 12(almost 13) and 10. We have gone to an NFL game almost every year since the oldest was 5 or so. Man, have they ever seen some nasty drunks, heard some cuss words, and seen overall boorish behavior. ,And,most important they have seen how idiotic these people look. They have seen their father or uncle respectfully ask people to keep the cussing to minimum,as an occasional F Bomb or CHIT at a big play does not bother me so much.True words that hurt, like racial or religious epithats, I have never heard at a game.It has never gotten to the point where we had to get security involved at all.

They have been to 4 different stadiums...find knucklehaeads in each and every one.

We have had great times at the games..would not trade it for the world.

BTW, I also knew not of a dirty sanchez, rusty trombone etc...oh lordy I am old

Its pretty sad that you can't take children to football games

I have been to mlb games in multiple stadiums, along with NHL games and all are great family atmospheres where you can enjoy the game and not have to worry about drunken idiots puking on you, fights breaking out around you, or hearing idiots screaming profanities and vulgar insults around just because their team is losing, or because a fan from another team is sitting near by.

With the NFL, the fans seem to have the attitude of it being their right to do those things and get excessively drunk because "thats part of the experience" and if you don't like it, don't take your kids or go to the "family section" of the stadium

This is all going to eventually lead to the removal of private tailgating before games by the NFL, and into controled/regulated NFL/team sponsored tailgating areas where you will be buying beer like you would in the stadium and eating from concession stands

I fully agree with the OP. I've been going to games for about 23 years. I know there are lots of folks here who will respond that this is always how it's been (and some who like it that way). I disagree. The difference now, as I see it, is how young and obnoxious the fans are. It used to be middle-aged alcoholics with a wry sense of humor, who fundamentally seemed to be decent folks letting off steam. Now, it's a blue collar frat party, a Phish show without the wonky jams. Bills games have become an excuse for drunken kids to act like goons. They have no respect for anyone, or themselves (especially the girls). And the worst part is, unlike the sad old-timers I grew up watching the games with, these kids know nothing about football. They're not even there to watch the games, really - most of them want an excuse to get tanked. Many of them want an excuse to fight. Frankly, it's not even worth going to the stadium anymore unless you sit with the wealthy folks in the club seats. The 99% may be disenfranchised, but the 1% know how to be respectful to their fellow fans.

One more thought..when I was just a lad of 6 and 7 I started going to games in the Rockpile...sure as chit did not confuse that experience with going to church. Just as many drunks,Dad and uncles bringing in their flasks, fights in the stands, fights for the balls in the endzones (no nets behind the goalposts), people getting their tickets stolen out of their hands in front of the stadium, paying someone to watch your car...all were a highlights of the experience for my brother and me, and I sure as hell am sure there were cuss words flying all around.

Even after that horrible exposure..never been in a fight at a game, never been a drunken lout..drunk yes but not a lout, and still love going to games way more than watching on TV...thing called life out there..your kids will survive as Mead put so well.

Edited by plenzmd1

Its pretty sad that you can't take children to football games

I have been to mlb games in multiple stadiums, along with NHL games and all are great family atmospheres where you can enjoy the game and not have to worry about drunken idiots puking on you, fights breaking out around you, or hearing idiots screaming profanities and vulgar insults around just because their team is losing, or because a fan from another team is sitting near by.

With the NFL, the fans seem to have the attitude of it being their right to do those things and get excessively drunk because "thats part of the experience" and if you don't like it, don't take your kids or go to the "family section" of the stadium

This is all going to eventually lead to the removal of private tailgating before games by the NFL, and into controled/regulated NFL/team sponsored tailgating areas where you will be buying beer like you would in the stadium and eating from concession stands

+1

How pathetic is it that going to a football games means I have have to throw away all expectations of people acting with some common decency. And what's even worse is that the scumbags who are puking all over themselves and acting in ways that no civilized person should act are DEFENDED and CELEBRATED or at least excused by so many of you out here.

It IS NOT a better gameday experience because I and thousands like me have chosen not to subject ourselves to that scene anymore. What is happening is there is a generation of young fans that not only have not seen a wining team in their life, but are never taken to games by their parents for the same reason they would not take them to a drunken frat party.