If the season ended today ... Bills miss the playoffs

BuffaloBill

There are still 8 games left but this article shows that if the Bills get to 10-6 by repeating what they did in 1H of the seaon they stand a good chance of not making the playoffs. The loss to the Jests really hurt. my guess is that the Bills will have to win against the Jets in three weeks and beat the Pats to get in. This will be a very tall order. Still I am thrilled with the progress of the team this year. We'll see how the balance of the season plays out.

linky

well - luckily, the playoffs don't start right now. there are still 8 weeks.

1 team is coming out of the west - no wild card.

1 team is coming out of the south - no wild card.

cincy still has to play pit and bal 2 times each, so they will probably be in th 7-8-9 win range.

either baltimore or pit wins that division, with the other one getting a wild card.

that leaves the east: buffalo/new england/new york jets. 2 coming out, one as division champion, one as a wild card. we got the fins 2 times, dallas, denver, tennessee. it's gonna be close, but we can absolutely do it, and 10-6 can get it done.

jets and pats have just as many weaknesses as us. we beat the pats. jets? well, they had 2 weeks to prepare for a divisional game against us. of course they shut us down on offense. gaily will beat them in the rematch, and even if he doesn't we can definitely get in over the golden boy and his patsies.

have some faith. more importantly, have some fun.

that week 17 game against new england could be for a wild card, which is just as good as the playoffs, really.

I agree with everything you said aside from the Cincinnati only winning 7/8/9 games? They're not going 1-7 here on out. Aside from those 4 games (of which they'll win one), they have an easy schedule the rest of the way.

The sad fact remains that the Bills are going to have to beat out either New England, the Jets, Baltimore and Pittsburgh. As of now, that sounds daunting, but all of these teams will have ups and downs the rest of the way. One way or another, we're going to have to have 10 wins going into Week 17.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

well - luckily, the playoffs don't start right now. there are still 8 weeks.

1 team is coming out of the west - no wild card.

1 team is coming out of the south - no wild card.

cincy still has to play pit and bal 2 times each, so they will probably be in th 7-8-9 win range.

either baltimore or pit wins that division, with the other one getting a wild card.

that leaves the east: buffalo/new england/new york jets. 2 coming out, one as division champion, one as a wild card. we got the fins 2 times, dallas, denver, tennessee. it's gonna be close, but we can absolutely do it, and 10-6 can get it done.

jets and pats have just as many weaknesses as us. we beat the pats. jets? well, they had 2 weeks to prepare for a divisional game against us. of course they shut us down on offense. gaily will beat them in the rematch, and even if he doesn't we can definitely get in over the golden boy and his patsies.

have some faith. more importantly, have some fun.

that week 17 game against new england could be for a wild card, which is just as good as the playoffs, really.

This.

There are still 8 games left but this article shows that if the Bills get to 10-6 by repeating what they did in 1H of the seaon they stand a good chance of not making the playoffs. The loss to the Jests really hurt. my guess is that the Bills will have to win against the Jets in three weeks and beat the Pats to get in. This will be a very tall order. Still I am thrilled with the progress of the team this year. We'll see how the balance of the season plays out.

linky

The Bills have shown very good progress the first half of the season. The playoffs are about winning in November. Any repeat of what you saw on Sunday and the Playoff talk will end very quickly.

The Bills have shown very good progress the first half of the season. The playoffs are about winning in November. Any repeat of what you saw on Sunday and the Playoff talk will end very quickly.

see, this is where the old school NFL fan needs to come to grips with the modern-day reality of the NFL.

any team can win any week of the season.

we could get blown out by dallas, blown out by the dolphins, and blown out by the jets to sit at 5-6, and then win 5 in a row to make the playoffs.

i know the word "parity" gets thrown around in every thread, every article, every discussion, but the fact of the matter is - unless you're a bengals or ravens fan right now, in the american football conference, your team has just as many IF NOT MORE losses than the buffalo bills.

and here's the thing - half the teams are going to lose AGAIN this weekend.

we might be one of them, we might not.

but until we are MATHEMATICALLY eliminated from the playoffs, we have just as good of a chance of making it as anyone else.

so, even if we lay another egg in dallas (which we might,) you're going to give up on the season with a road game against the lowly fins next up on the docket?

come on man, have some faith. enjoy the season. it's a grind. but know this - one of the patriots and the jets is going to lose next week. so all the doom and gloom - "our season is over if we lose next week" talk? well its a CERTAINTY that one of those superior-god-smiles-on-them-every-week teams is going to be right there at 5-4.

If my aunt had nuts, she'd be my uncle

Let's go with the "when" instead. WHEN they lose in Dallas, NY, and SD, they have a minimum of 6 loses, which puts them at 10-6 at best. That's assuming they win everything else, which is a tough assumption because the NE is a tough road game and a place the Bills struggle in. The Titans are no cake walk here either.

And the 3 losses I am counted as guaranteed are simple. After getting spanked yesterday at home, with a 5-2 record and tons of confidence, going to NY and winning won't happen. Pyschologically, they're beated. Take the Jets that week for sure. The SD game is a certain loss. The Bills are 6-12-1 @ SD. That includes 4 in a row. It's a west coast travel issue. They're 5-12 at the Raiders. 2-3 @ 49ers and 3-5 at Seattle. These don;t account for records, which team was "better", who was the favorite, etc. It's just straight up. So the Chargers aren't a bad team, they ran with the Packers yesterday at home and the Bills aren't the Packers. And they lose this week in Dallas because they're emotionally shot. It's a road game, it's an easy roll over game for them. I hope they prove me wrong and show some mettle but I doubt it. Young teams struggle to learn to get up off the mat and come out the next week and travel and win.

They need 2 out of 5 road wins plus the 3 homes games to get to 10 wins. That's a tall order with the 6 of the 8 teams with .500 or better records.

I think they're headed in the right direction but they're not good enough and experienced enough to get through the second half of this schedule with more than a 4-4 record IMO. I don't let emotion cloud the reality of the situation.

Let's go with the "when" instead. WHEN they lose in Dallas, NY, and SD, they have a minimum of 6 loses, which puts them at 10-6 at best. That's assuming they win everything else, which is a tough assumption because the NE is a tough road game and a place the Bills struggle in. The Titans are no cake walk here either.

And the 3 losses I am counted as guaranteed are simple. After getting spanked yesterday at home, with a 5-2 record and tons of confidence, going to NY and winning won't happen. Pyschologically, they're beated. Take the Jets that week for sure. The SD game is a certain loss. The Bills are 6-12-1 @ SD. That includes 4 in a row. It's a west coast travel issue. They're 5-12 at the Raiders. 2-3 @ 49ers and 3-5 at Seattle. These don;t account for records, which team was "better", who was the favorite, etc. It's just straight up. So the Chargers aren't a bad team, they ran with the Packers yesterday at home and the Bills aren't the Packers. And they lose this week in Dallas because they're emotionally shot. It's a road game, it's an easy roll over game for them. I hope they prove me wrong and show some mettle but I doubt it. Young teams struggle to learn to get up off the mat and come out the next week and travel and win.

They need 2 out of 5 road wins plus the 3 homes games to get to 10 wins. That's a tall order with the 6 of the 8 teams with .500 or better records.

I think they're headed in the right direction but they're not good enough and experienced enough to get through the second half of this schedule with more than a 4-4 record IMO. I don't let emotion cloud the reality of the situation.

but you did, if we had beat the jets you will be talking about how we would be winning more games instead of losing them.......its happens to everyone .......every year.

We fans just need to shut up and watch the games.

see, this is where the old school NFL fan needs to come to grips with the modern-day reality of the NFL.

any team can win any week of the season.

we could get blown out by dallas, blown out by the dolphins, and blown out by the jets to sit at 5-6, and then win 5 in a row to make the playoffs.

i know the word "parity" gets thrown around in every thread, every article, every discussion, but the fact of the matter is - unless you're a bengals or ravens fan right now, in the american football conference, your team has just as many IF NOT MORE losses than the buffalo bills.

and here's the thing - half the teams are going to lose AGAIN this weekend.

we might be one of them, we might not.

but until we are MATHEMATICALLY eliminated from the playoffs, we have just as good of a chance of making it as anyone else.

so, even if we lay another egg in dallas (which we might,) you're going to give up on the season with a road game against the lowly fins next up on the docket?

come on man, have some faith. enjoy the season. it's a grind. but know this - one of the patriots and the jets is going to lose next week. so all the doom and gloom - "our season is over if we lose next week" talk? well its a CERTAINTY that one of those superior-god-smiles-on-them-every-week teams is going to be right there at 5-4.

Are you assuming a sweep of the Dolphins? I wouldn't necassarily bank on that happening. We're not good enough to assume any victory over any opponent.

Honestly, after the showing against the Jets, the Bills don't deserve to be in the Playoffs. They need to show some heart, some guts and not play like soft wussies.

This year is an improvement, but we aren't there yet. We need to get some of our guys back and healthy, and we need to get deeper at certain positions. And most importantly, we need to find a way to play physical defense.

Honestly, after the showing against the Jets, the Bills don't deserve to be in the Playoffs. They need to show some heart, some guts and not play like soft wussies.

This year is an improvement, but we aren't there yet. We need to get some of our guys back and healthy, and we need to get deeper at certain positions. And most importantly, we need to find a way to play physical defense.

Saying they don't deserve the playoffs based on one game is a bit of an overreaction. If your kid failed one test in high school, would you tell him he doesn't deserve to get into college?

Bills season is riding on next 3 road games. Got to win 2 minimum.

I'd say they don't just need to win 2 of 3, they have to win the Jet game and one of the other two. Otherwise they'll have very little chance of beating the Jets out for the WC.