Most overrated players in the NFL

Buftex

Thought this was interesting:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-11-07/midseason-player-poll-tim-tebow-voted-most-overrated?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl6%7Csec3_lnk2%7C110549

Predictably, I suppose, Tim Tebow heads the list. I must say though, I disagree. There may not be a guy who has been more over-hyped, but the amount of criticism he takes is pretty amazing too. It was just 8 weeks ago that the idiots at ESPN were proclaiming the Broncos "must cut Tebow"....for as much as his zealot fans love him, he gets an almost equal amount of disdain. I am not a fan, but I think he deserves, like any young QB, a sample size of games before everyone is saying he can't play...2-1 as a starter!

Edited by Buftex

I agree that Tebow is not overrated by anyone who is a football insider or understands the game. It's really only his rabid fanboys that create the impression.

My vote would go to Phillip Rivers. What has he done to deserve the inclusion in the discussion with the top guys in the league year after year?

Hard to argue with anyone on that list though Revis and Brady being there is highly questionable. Bart Scott is very average and talks like he's a superstar. Also, the Kevin Kolb trade will go down as one of the worst in NFL history. I have no idea what the Cards saw in him to give him that kind of money and give up that much for him. so stupid.

Hard to argue with anyone on that list though Revis and Brady being there is highly questionable. Bart Scott is very average and talks like he's a superstar. Also, the Kevin Kolb trade will go down as one of the worst in NFL history. I have no idea what the Cards saw in him to give him that kind of money and give up that much for him. so stupid.

Scott Mitchell, Rob Johnson & Kevin Kolb = 3 reasons why a team should never give up the farm for a QB with a small body of work.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-11-07/midseason-player-poll-tim-tebow-voted-most-overrated?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl6%7Csec3_lnk2%7C110549

Predictably, I suppose, Tim Tebow heads the list. I must say though, I disagree. There may not be a guy who has been more over-hyped, but the amount of criticism he takes is pretty amazing too. It was just 8 weeks ago that the idiots at ESPN were proclaiming the Broncos "must cut Tebow"....for as much as his zealot fans love him, he gets an almost equal amount of disdain. I am not a fan, but I think he deserves, like any young QB, a sample size of games before everyone is saying he can't play...2-1 as a starter!

You didn't mention that this was a poll of, relatively, a handfull of players.

Probably what alot of fans here thought when they were thinking we should have made a move in the past to get him

As for the list, number 2 and 3 are the guys I think should be 1 and 2. Tebow isn't overratted, overhyped maybe.

Brady, and Revis don't deserve to be on the list, and I would also probably take Eli off the list too.

Edited by apuszczalowski

I think that how players respond to this poll says more about them than the player that they're naming as the most overrated. There are many players making more $ and producing less than Tebow. He's at the top of the list for other reasons besides his ability.

Edited by vincec

"Overrated" seems to be one of the most misunderstood words in the English dictionary, so it's not surprising that NFl players are guilty of it just like everyone else. I would like to ask Terrance Knighton what single prominent analyst has ever said that Tony Romo is "elite" - I don't think anyone ever has. What I do know is that he played one of the better games a QB will play against the Jets all year and was raked over the coals for a couple mistakes.

Who are the most overrated (or Overhyped) players in Bills History ?

In the last 10 years:

Willis McGahee

Marshawn Lynch

Chris Kelsay

Lee Evans

Roscoe Parrish

Josh Reed

Jason Peters

Drew Bledsoe

Trent Edwards

:lol: now you've done it. All the Miller cultists will soon be out to tell you how he's the best goalie EVAR.

If Enroth would have played this sunday against the jets, the Bills would have won........

he has Poise......

"Overrated" seems to be one of the most misunderstood words in the English dictionary, so it's not surprising that NFl players are guilty of it just like everyone else. I would like to ask Terrance Knighton what single prominent analyst has ever said that Tony Romo is "elite" - I don't think anyone ever has. What I do know is that he played one of the better games a QB will play against the Jets all year and was raked over the coals for a couple mistakes.

You don't have to be considered "Elite" to be overrated. Calling Maybin an NFL player during his time in Buffalo was overrating Maybin and his abilities

Romo is talked about alot as being one of the better (top 10) QB's in the league, when really, he just isn't that great and would make him Overrated.

Just break down the word OVER RATED. You are rated above what you actually should be......

You don't have to be considered "Elite" to be overrated. Calling Maybin an NFL player during his time in Buffalo was overrating Maybin and his abilities

Romo is talked about alot as being one of the better (top 10) QB's in the league, when really, he just isn't that great and would make him Overrated.

Just break down the word OVER RATED. You are rated above what you actually should be......

Agree with your definition, although the player quoted did use the word 'elite'.

You have your Manning/Brady/Rodgers/Brees/Ben. After that who knows. There's probably a bigger difference between #4 and #7 than there is between #6 and #13 - therefore 'Top 10' is sort of an arbitrary cutoff. Most people's 6-10 will look different every week depending on what the flavor of the month is. Like right now it's popular to say Eli is up there and Rivers stinks, but that wasn't the case last year or the year before, and it may not be the case a month from now. Maybe Josh Freeman would've received top 10 votes last year; right now probably not. What about Matt Ryan? Most people would say he's "pretty good". I think that's about what Romo is and where he is (appropriately) rated.