Bills Biggest Weaknesses Against the Jets

Got_Wood

1. Playcalling: The Jets were stacking the box on us almost every down. We have to be able to pass the ball to create play action runs and screens against teams like the Jets. They're blitz happy, and you have to combat that with a better passing game and misdirection.

2. Lack of a Big Play WR: We are sorely lacking speed and athleticism in our WR group. Stevie and Nelson are keepers, but it's obvious that Roosevelt and Jones are mediocre talents on the outside. This should be a big priority in the offseason.

3. Outside Line Backer: Batten was awful. He gets pushed around out there like Maybin. And when you don't have speed to make up for it, then you're useless. It really hurt our run defense out there. Kelsay is pretty good when he's healthy. But we need a force on the outside BADLY. This needs to also be addressed in the offseason.

4. Special teams: What happened to our special teams? We used to get much better field position when Roscoe was returning punts, and McGee/Mckelvin were returning kickoffs. Yes the new kickoff rule has changed the game a bit, but we had several return opportunities that got us nowhere against the Jets. And McKnight pulled off a big return against us that made a big difference in the game. Something needs to change here.

5. Costly Mistakes: Two early interceptions from Fitzpatrick killed our momentum. We can't do that early in football games and expect to pull ourselves out of a hole. The Freddy fumble inside our own 20 hurt bad too. Add in McKelvin and McGee's deep pass interference calls and we were sunk. These big types of mistakes will lose ballgames every week.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Playcalling: The Jets were stacking the box on us almost every down. We have to be able to pass the ball to create play action runs and screens against teams like the Jets. They're blitz happy, and you have to combat that with a better passing game and misdirection.

2. Lack of a Big Play WR: We are sorely lacking speed and athleticism in our WR group. Stevie and Nelson are keepers, but it's obvious that Roosevelt and Jones are mediocre talents on the outside. This should be a big priority in the offseason.

3. Outside Line Backer: Batten was awful. He gets pushed around out there like Maybin. And when you don't have speed to make up for it, then you're useless. It really hurt our run defense out there. Kelsay is pretty good when he's healthy. But we need a force on the outside BADLY. This needs to also be addressed in the offseason.

4. Special teams: What happened to our special teams? We used to get much better field position when Roscoe was returning punts, and McGee/Mckelvin were returning kickoffs. Yes the new kickoff rule has changed the game a bit, but we had several return opportunities that got us nowhere against the Jets. And McKnight pulled off a big return against us that made a big difference in the game. Something needs to change here.

5. Costly Mistakes: Two early interceptions from Fitzpatrick killed our momentum. We can't do that early in football games and expect to pull ourselves out of a hole. The Freddy fumble inside our own 20 hurt bad too. Add in McKelvin and McGee's deep pass interference calls and we were sunk. These big types of mistakes will lose ballgames every week.

6. The Jets are clearly, and without question, a more talented football team than the Bills.

6. The Jets are clearly, and without question, a more talented football team than the Bills.

That's total BS. And the same loser mentality fans have had the past decade. This team is on the rise, whether you like it or not.

That's total BS. And the same loser mentality fans have had the past decade. This team is on the rise, whether you like it or not.

Wow, take off the homer glasses. The Jets have a better secondary, better linebackers, and a better defensive line. They have a better offensive line. They have a better tight end. They have better wide receivers. The Bills have a better RB. And while I hate to say it, I think the vast majority of NFL teams would take Sanchez over Fitzpatrick because of his far better arm strength and his proven ability to play well in the playoffs.

They are 5-3 with wins over Jax and Miami....wooooooo!

I'm basing this on what my eyes have told me over the last three seasons. And christ, the Jets have completely and utterly dominated the Bills for 2.5 years running. I mean, is there really an argument about this?

The Bills are on the rise, but this comment is not total BS. Their their LB's are better than ours, their Db's are better than ours, their OL is better than ours, their recievers are better than ours. The Dlines might be even(Jets get a slight edge to me), combined, their RB's are even with ours. To me it looks like the Jets are a more talented team.So if this comment is total BS like you say, please explain why you think this. Thanks.

Jets are clearly better. Ultimately though, despite that if we could have looked less like a flash in the pan gimmicky passing game and more like something that at least could have gotten something going we would have been in it. D did ok even though they couldn't get off the field and we even ran the ball ok. Eventually the run game and D gave out b/c of the utter dominance but if someone would have made just a play, just any play in the passing game b4 it got pathetic we could have been different. We have a gimmicky passing game that's the truth at least it was yesterday. Must adjust moving forward.

Wow, take off the homer glasses. The Jets have a better secondary, better linebackers, and a better defensive line. They have a better offensive line. They have a better tight end. They have better wide receivers. The Bills have a better RB. And while I hate to say it, I think the vast majority of NFL teams would take Sanchez over Fitzpatrick because of his far better arm strength and his proven ability to play well in the playoffs.

You're entitled to your opinion, but to say they are better in every category is just wrong. Our d-line when healthy, is more talented than theirs. I would take Dareus and Williams over Pouha and DeVito ANY DAY.

When our O-line is healthy, it's a wash (and I'm not even kidding). Wood and Levitre could be pro bowlers if this team continues to win and stays in the spotlight. And Bell, Hairston, Urbik, and Pears are all proving top be more than worthy this year. We just need Bell and Hairston to stay healthy.

I think that Fitz and Sanchez are a wash. The Jets are just limiting Sanchez' mistakes right now, and it's working for them.

I'd also take Freddy and Spiller over Greene and an older LT. And our safeties over the Jets safeties.

They have stronger wide receivers and corners. That's the real difference. Throw in a masterful defensive scheme by Rex Ryan, and that was their advantage over us yesterday.

Bills fans have to get rid of the defeatist attitude. This is the NFL, and we have talent just like everyone else.

Good analysis. I would modify a bit - I think we have shown options to stay within our strength yet "back them off", more runs to the outside, Spiller as a WR, etcetera.

We employed these effectively while DJ was out injured. Now DJ was back, and Chan went to the same "antidotes" of low-percentage long-toss that failed against Cincy.

Chan: c'mon, man! Mitigation: we are playing our 3rd string LT and our 2nd string guard. So we may have more trouble on OL than we thought.

Nelson is young and he got jammed by the Jets physical play. Jones may have, too.

I agree that Kelsay has played well this year and we missed him.

You're right on ST. ST hurt. 86 yds for the Jets on 3 bkickoff returns? C'mon man! And the Jets fumbled their 1st kickoff return, and could have lost it if we'd been more heads-up.

The first INT by Fitzy was dumb. It was 1st and 5. There was no reason to make that throw. The 2nd INT, he was throwing under pressure with a minute to go in the half - trying to make something happen, and it was intercepted off a tipped ball. If there's a time and place to be aggressive, that's it. It didn't hurt us because Sanchez fumbled and Dareus recovered. You might justly say "failure to capitalize on the Jets mistakes" as a cause. The fumble on the Bills second possession by the normally sure-handed Freddie was killer.

NONE OF THAT LISTED ABOVE!

our biggest weakness we are just to damn friendly on the field....

Dareus made a good hit on Greene...he helps him up.... Bart Scott doesnt even make the tackle on Fred and he talking... same when CJ fumbled out of bounds....

We play hard dont get be wrong but we dont play nasty....

And I hope we find our nasty before the next time we play them... If i could say one thing to our entire team is we have to play nasty!

I think that going into the game Chan and Fitz were uncomfortable with the O-line. I think the Bills need to run the ball to beat the Jets, but without Bell (or even Hairston) playing and more importantly a beat up Levitre playing out of position AND not inside powering the inside running game, I think Chan & Fitz played too conservatively. They knew the CB's were great, and that there would be single coverage with an extra guy for pas rushing/run support, but they didn't have the horses on the line to match it. I think that really effected the gameplan.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

You're entitled to your opinion, but to say they are better in every category is just wrong. Our d-line when healthy, is more talented than theirs. I would take Dareus and Williams over Pouha and DeVito ANY DAY.

When our O-line is healthy, it's a wash (and I'm not even kidding). Wood and Levitre could be pro bowlers if this team continues to win and stays in the spotlight. And Bell, Hairston, Urbik, and Pears are all proving top be more than worthy this year. We just need Bell and Hairston to stay healthy.

I think that Fitz and Sanchez are a wash. The Jets are just limiting Sanchez' mistakes right now, and it's working for them.

I'd also take Freddy and Spiller over Greene and an older LT. And our safeties over the Jets safeties.

They have stronger wide receivers and corners. That's the real difference. Throw in a masterful defensive scheme by Rex Ryan, and that was their advantage over us yesterday.

Bills fans have to get rid of the defeatist attitude. This is the NFL, and we have talent just like everyone else.

So what you are really saying is we got out coached. Yep I agree.

I think that going into the game Chan and Fitz were uncomfortable with the O-line. I think the Bills need to run the ball to beat the Jets, but without Bell (or even Hairston) playing and more importantly a beat up Levitre playing out of position AND not inside powering the inside running game, I think Chan & Fitz played too conservatively. They knew the CB's were great, and that there would be single coverage with an extra guy for pas rushing/run support, but they didn't have the horses on the line to match it. I think that really effected the gameplan.

This, this, this. Levitre needed way more help than he got yesterday. I hope he can heal up and that they can get one or both of Hairston and Bell back. They need them. The inside run game fared OK yesterday but we've seen lots better with the mauler trio opening things up for Fred. Levitre is a soldier but he needs to go back where he excels.

This, this, this. Levitre needed way more help than he got yesterday. I hope he can heal up and that they can get one or both of Hairston and Bell back. They need them. The inside run game fared OK yesterday but we've seen lots better with the mauler trio opening things up for Fred. Levitre is a soldier but he needs to go back where he excels.

No one seems to be mentioning the O-line. It's hard to quantify, but I really believe that the running game can be so much more effective with the right guys in place.

It's not that the O-line played overtly bad, it's just that Chan and Fitz were trying to play within their limitations, and by the 2nd half the game got away from them.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

I'm not defeatist; I'm a realist. The Bills are a pretty good team, but no more than that. I hope they make the playoffs, but doubt that they will. They are building a solid foundation, however. They just need a pass rusher, a better-than-average LT, and a big receiver who can stretch the field, and they'll be fine. They're not there yet, and have some real weaknesses to address. It's a manageable task, however. They aren't that far away.

Edited by dave mcbride

I really don't think it is this black and white. I think more so, the Jets are a bad matchup for the Bills. The Jets, IMO, aren't more talented than the Pats but I feel the Bills match up better with the Pats.

The Jets man up their receivers with their corners. You need to complete long passes when you have one on one coverage. The Bills couldn't, thus they couldn't stay on the field. The defense, which played pretty well, eventually got worn out. But I don't think the Jets are a great team. I think they have a very coach and great corners which help dictate their defense.

In regards to this game, the Jets were the better team today. However, in terms of the season thus far I don't know if I'd say they are better, and if so, only little bit. OK, sure, they have an excellent secondary which at their best can pretty much shut down anyone. They had an extra week to prepare for us and they took away our strengths, and exploited out weaknesses. On the other token, their run defense has in fact given up more yards then we have and are ranked lower. Even on an off day Jackson had 82 rush yards, nothing to sneer about.

The Jets lost three straight and were playing poor football. They came back and beat the hapless Dolphins and struggling Chargers, only really winning the latter on a very lucky bounce. Heck, their win over Dallas pretty much came down to bad mistakes by Romo. Two of their losses came against teams the Bills beat, so we can clearly hold our own against solid AFC teams.

I'm not taking away what the Jets did to us, cause they did romp us. I believe they were having one of their better games, and we were having one of our worst. This happens to every team in the league. Just last week, the Rams upset the Saints, and today the Chiefs got dominated by the Dolphins. The teams that lost those games ARE better, they just weren't on that particular day. Overall though our offense has been much more productive then theirs, and more balanced.

So yeah, I think that despite today, the Bills can matchup against the Jets again and actually produce. Maybe I'm wrong and Rex just has our card and will continue to destroy us. I like to think not though, because most of the Jets points were the result of a few untimely turnovers and defensive penalties. Also sketchy 4th down playcalling hurt us. It was a poor, sloppy play all around at a time when we needed our A game. But hey like I said, this happens to everyone including the Jets earlier this season.

Finally, I just want to put things in perspective here. We were a 4-12 team last year, and the Jets - for the second consecutive year - were in the AFC championship game. We are currently in year two of a re-build and we're not gonna go from zero to hero just like that. The Bills are doing far better them expected and to even be in the playoff hunt, yet alone in a first place tie in a brutal division, is remarkable and exceeding expectations. People seem to act like because we've had some success we should win every game and if not it's a bust. I love and root for the Bills hardcore but that mindset is just moronic,

I'm not defeatist; I'm a realist. The Bills are a pretty good team, but no more than that. I hope they make the playoffs, but doubt that they will. They are building a solid foundation, however. They just need a pass rusher, a better-than-average LT, and a big receiver who can stretch the field, and they'll be fine. They're not there yet, and have some real weaknesses to address. It's a manageable task, however. They aren't that far away.

Our offensive line has not been the issue. Also, what pass rushers do the Jets have? And it would be great if our receivers could just get away with pushing off like Burress does. It was a freaking joke.