Bills, Jets, Pats: remaining schedules/playoffs

Bills next 3 games on the road will decide their season, doesnt matter what Pats or Jets schedules look like

Bills need to win at least 2 of these games to have a shot at the playoffs especially after losing this past weekend at home to the Jets

I just stated as much in a different thread. One of those is a must win and that's against the JETS.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree and the Jets have the hot hand, having won their last three, while we have been 2-3 in the last five games...We need to get our act together. It is a shame that the offense has gone into this funk when the defense has started playing so well.

What funk? We had one down game against the Jets. They easily could have put up 30 against the Skins if they didn't take their foot off the gas pedal.

And the 2-3 have been to the 6-2 Bengals (a last second 3 point loss on the road), the 6-2 Giants (last second fg road loss), and a terrible loss to the Jets, who are 5-3. Let's take a deep breath for a second. No game in the NFL is a gimme, but I love matchups against the Fins (twice), Broncos (though God will be against us), and Titans at home. Also, the Chargers haven't exactly been a powerhouse and seem more hype than anything. Take care of these games and make the divisional games pivotal. A lot of season left to play.

Bills

@ dal

@ Mia

@ nyj

Ten

@sdg

Mia

Den

@NE

Jets

NE

@den

Buf

@was

Kan

@phi

Nyg

@Mia

Pats

@nyj

Kan

@phi

Ind

@was

@den

Mia

Buf

Strikes me that jets have toughest road. They have both Philly and giants left. And even though giants game is listed as home for jets it's played in their shared stadium. Even the denver game is a bit misleading because it's away and on a Thursday evening. It comes right after jets game vs NE where theyll be vulnerable to a let down. (however yet again it gives them more time to prepare for us the next week)

Since we've played and beaten eagles I'm hoping they stay hot (we'll know more tonight) and take both jets and pats. They have a lot of talent we saw first hand and I think it's likely they make a run in the 2nd half. Other than pats and jets no team we play currently has a winning record. However the heavy preponderance of away games (4 of next 5) could take a tolll on us. I see beating teams on the road as the next hurdle bills need to clear to take it to the next level.

If bills win any combination of 3 of next 4 (even if it's a loss to jets) I still see this as positioning them for playoffs. They'll be 8 @ 4 and need to go .500 in last 4, which includes home games against den and Mia, to get to 10 & 6. If jets playout as I see it (losses to pats, eagles, giants and one upset) they finish 9 & 7. Raven steelers bengals will get one of the wildcards and our division should get the other. Due to schedule I think pats have inside track on division.

But of course there's a ton of football to be played. Let's hope bills stay in the race to make it worth updating

Bills finish 10-6

@ dal - W

@ Mia - W

@ nyj - W

Ten - L

@sdg - L

Mia - W

Den - L

@NE - W

Jets finish 9-7

NE - L

@den - W

Buf - L

@was - W

Kan - W

@phi - L

Nyg - L

@Mia - W

Pats finish 11-5

@nyj - W

Kan - W

@phi - L

Ind - W

@was - W

@den - W

Mia - W

Buf - L

FINGERS ARE CROSSED!

Bills finish 10-6

@ dal - W

@ Mia - W

@ nyj - W

Ten - L

@sdg - L

Mia - W

Den - L

@NE - W

Jets finish 9-7

NE - L

@den - W

Buf - L

@was - W

Kan - W

@phi - L

Nyg - L

@Mia - W

Pats finish 11-5

@nyj - W

Kan - W

@phi - L

Ind - W

@was - W

@den - W

Mia - W

Buf - L

FINGERS ARE CROSSED!

Two things:

1) Your fingers are crossed that we lose 3 more games? :unsure:

2) You think we will beat NJ and NE* on the road, but lose to Denver??? At home???? :wacko:

Personally, I expect we just had our final loss of this season...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

"I expect to win every game." - Chan Gailey

16 and 3 baby!!!!! B-)

There are four games that decide the bills season. New York Jets at the jets, the two Dolphin games and the season finale at New England. Fart around all you want with the rest of the schedule, if we win those game we are nine and seven. Win one or more of the other games and we're in like Flynn. Are the Jets and Patsies a huge hurdle? Yup..but if we are playoff caliber that's what we do and we walk in through the front door.

I said it when no one thought it was possible. Nine wins is what we should demand and expect from this team this year under Gailey and Nix. They are well on the way to delivering it. If we get beyond that, and I'm impressed enough with this team to think we might be beyond that, we get 10 or more wins and a playoff berth. I'm pleased with the season so far and don't see anything to make me displeased yet.

Edited by tennesseeboy

Except that the state of this year's team is different. It appears that it's being built correctly

This is repeated often enough, but the parroting doesn't cover the fact that the results are unknown, though they did take a step backwards last year. (I also hope it is true.)

with young talent in most all positions and without the splashy free-agent pickups for the sake of hoping for a handful of wins. You can't look at what's happening with the team this year and not be excited about being much more competitive next year, as opposed to the 2008 team which led to much-anticipated firing of Dick Jauron the following year.

This is revisionist history. Jauron got a contract extension in 2008 and it looked highly unlikely that he was going anywhere. Ralph Wilson was even quoted as saying that the two of them would ride into the sunset together. It wasn't until the no-huddle offense, firing of Schonert, Langston Walker is just as good as Jason Peters fiascoes of the pre-season landed Dick in hot-water and got him a flight to Detroit to explain his decision making processes that there was any indication anyone realized Dick was breaking the eggs and spilling the milk instead of getting the groceries.

By the way, in 2008 many had the same comments then as now. The coach was doing a great job and getting the most out of his roster -- they played hard for him. He got an under talented team out of the gate to 1st place in the tough AFC East in early October. He was building the team the right way with Russ Brandon. He had a plan. He was just sabotaged by injuries and needed a little more time for his young players to, no doubt, continue to improve. A couple more holes to fill and 2009 was going to be the year to break the playoff drought.

There are four games that decide the bills season. New York Jets at the jets, the two Dolphin games and the season finale at New England. Fart around all you want with the rest of the schedule, if we win those game we are nine and seven. Win one or more of the other games and we're in like Flynn. Are the Jets and Patsies a huge hurdle? Yup..but if we are playoff caliber that's what we do and we walk in through the front door.

I said it when no one thought it was possible. Nine wins is what we should demand and expect from this team this year under Gailey and Nix. They are well on the way to delivering it. If we get beyond that, and I'm impressed enough with this team to think we might be beyond that, we get 10 or more wins and a playoff berth. I'm pleased with the season so far and don't see anything to make me displeased yet.

10-6 in a typical season usually has a good shot at WC even if you lose games within your division. Packers were 10&6 WC last year. Problem this year however is how well top 3 teams in afc north are playing. In game not against each other, bengals, raven and steelers are a combined 15 & 5. Its possible they pretty much split amongst themselves and if they continue to dominate outside that they get both wildcards. In head to head instances they own tie breaker vs top 3 from afc east: bengals over bills, ravens over jets and steelers over pats. What we need is one of these teams to fall off a cliff. Bengals are least proven and face a brutal schedule with 2 each against ravens and steelers and one against texans. In that they have head to head over bills it's best if they're the team that drops out. Or conversely win their division. What we don't want is them competing against us for WC.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

bottom line is the bills have to win five to have a good shot at a playoff spot

i dont think this team has any chance of winning the championship this season, but getting one playoff games experience would be absolutely huge for their development. unless they manage to win the division, unlikely, they would then likely lose any playoff game cuz as a wildcard they would play somebody pretty strong. but just getting there would be so educational for them, and it would make them much stronger going into next season. with another round of good drafting and key free agent additions i really think this squad will be a strong division contender

I think they will win 5, but I don't think 10-6 will do it this year, unfortunately.

The AFC North swept the AFC East this year, and it shows in the results - they have 3 6-win teams, we have 3 5-win teams, each of which lost the head-to-head against one of the North teams.

IF we can pass the Jets, we'll still need one of Bengals/Steelers/Ravens to lose 5 of 8. It could happen, but it's not likely.

The Bills probably need to go on a run and win 6 more - it's conceivable with their schedule, but not easy.

If this team doesn't beat Dallas, then I don't see them getting a playoff birth.

Obviously it's possible, but let's be real here....

...it's November, Dallas is a winnable game, this game will give all of us the answer on whether this team is in this thing for real or whether they aren't.

10-6  in a typical season usually has a good shot at WC even if you lose games within your division. Packers were 10&6 WC last year.  Problem this year however is how well top 3 teams in afc north are playing. In game not against each other, bengals, raven and steelers are a combined 15 & 5. Its possible they pretty much split amongst themselves and if they continue to dominate outside that they get both wildcards. In head to head instances they own tie breaker vs top 3 from afc east: bengals over bills, ravens over jets and steelers over pats. What we need is one of these teams to fall off a cliff. Bengals are least proven and face a brutal schedule with 2 each against ravens and steelers and one against texans. In that they have head to head over bills it's best if they're the team that drops out. Or conversely win their division. What we don't want is them competing against us for WC.

I would agree. It's entirely possible that both wild card teams come from the AFC North. The best way to make the playoffs seems to me to be a collapse by Cincinnati (only because thats more likely than a collapse by Pitt or Balt). Then we beat out either the Jets or Pats*. It's a long shot, IMO, but a very real possibility... If we get 11 wins. But I doubt 10 wins gets a wild card this year.

Listen, this team has proven that it can beat teams that it's not supposed to like Philly and New England. If you told me they were going to be 5-3 before the season started I would've said they will lose to Ne/Phi/NyJ......

That being said, just look at the teams in the last 7 years that have beaten the Patriots in the regular season. If I remember correctly, they were all good teams and I would say most if not all of them made the playoffs(excluding2003bills and any Miami teams)...

I can see the Bills winning the easy games remaining on the schedule and maybe squeaking our a few more dramatic wins against teams they shouldn't beat. Hey, 11-5 is possible, if you take away the bad calls in the Giants/bengals games we're sitting here at 7-1. What's keeping them from finishing the last 8 games at 6-2? Probably us, the fans.

The team has heart, but do we? Let's show it.

Losing to any of the remaining 8 is conceivable. Lord, don't let it be to the Dolphins. That would make their season and ruin ours - especially if it knocked us out of Playoff contention.

That's true and also applies to jets and pats. KC is a team I could see beating ether one yet everyone keeps chalking up an easy win.

Cliche' I know, but the Bill's hold their own destiny in their own hands. Take care of the divisional games and the playoff drought is over. Don't...and we'll, we start talking about how to fill the holes at CB, OLB, WR, the thought we might need a new D Coordinator...you know, the usual Bills post season existance...

I'm just glad our season isn't over like it was this time last year. I would love to actually talk football at Thanksgiving for the first time in years. Lets go Buffalo!

Due to the ease of the Pats schedule, the Jets tiebreaker, and the three teams in the AFC North that are currently ahead of us, I think it's going to take 6-2 (11-5 overall) the rest of the way to make the playoffs in the AFC. That 6-2 REQUIRES a win AT the Jets. This loss in Buffalo to the Jets was a devastating blow. We had a chance to practically knocked them out of contention but instead they are now in the drivers seat for the division.

Keep it simple.

Does anyone think the Bills would recover from 5-4 to make the playoffs?

Yeah, me neither.

Bills need to go 1-0 in the next game. Season is on the line against Dallas.

I agree. Nearly every game the rest of the season is a must win starting today.

+1 on Ozymandius

There is one game that matters. The Cowboys. Win this game and things start looking up in a hurray (then Fish to move to 7-3, etc). Lose this game and the clouds start to darken. And besides it is the only game that we play this week.

Go Bills (and Go Pats today only!)