Scott Norwood to be in attendance on Sunday

Awesome. I love that guy. Anyone who could live with that legacy on their shoulders is OK with me. As Thurman said, "If I played better, we would have had a closer kick."

thurman played out of his mind in that game.

if you make your money kicking a ball, then you need to make that one.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47-yard field goals are not gimmes. I never really blamed Norwood. I mean, he sucked as a kicker and I was so glad when we signed Christie, but I mostly blamed a defense that couldn't get off the field, some bad luck, and perhaps not enough touches for Thurman.

Scott Norwood did not lose that game for us all by himself. Go back and watch the game...every drive the offense did not score points contributed to our loss...every drive our D allowed NY to score points contributed to our loss...we lost that game as a whole. Yes, Scott was the last item we did not execute on, so he is the scapegoat...if he makes it, then technically you can say he bailed out the offense for not scoring a TD...or he bailed out the defense for giving up the last score to NY. If he misses it, he shoulders the blame. Its a hero or zero moment where he unfairly gets too much blame or credit based on the outcome because its the last thing people will remember.

But the truth is, no one person wins or loses a game in the NFL because there were 59 minutes and 57 seconds of the rest of the game where we did not finish drives or gave up points. So while its painful to think how a matter of inches kept this team from winning the SB, its not all his fault.

So no need to boo the guy, he was a great Bill despite of that and won us a lot more games than he lost us. It just show happens, he missed one difficult kick on the biggest stage by the narrowest of margins.

PS: How many of you remember that the defensive coordinator that limited our high powered offense to just 19 points was none other than our NE nemesis Bill Belichick?

Edited by Alphadawg7

You cheer the guy....period.

He was a decent kicker for us for a long time. IF he made that kick, he'd be viewed as the greatest kicker is bills history (with only 3 more career points). He made some big kicks for us and I refuse to accept that he was a terrible kicker. 47 yds off grass is no gimme. My concern when he lined up was the distance. He kicked the snot out of the ball.....the damn thing just never hooked. Such is life. And I assure you....no one feels as badly about it as him. GIVE THE GUY A BREAK....and a bit of closure.

I'm just as pissed that kick was missed.. but it happened. We are all pissed because that was the only real chance we got to win. We never came close again. for u just to blame scotty is ass.

We might as well blame Jim Kelly for being a QB that couldn't win the big game... who cares about 4 in a row when you have a QB that crumbles on the biggest stage. after all the next 3 superbowls were nowhere near feild goals to win.

Bills-Giants was the only shot we had. Jim kelly played his ass off in that superbowl, its a shame we lost. Scotty must feel like ****, it has to haunt him. Were bills fans, he was a bill.

I swear ray finkel is based off that dude

I'm just as pissed that kick was missed.. but it happened. We are all pissed because that was the only real chance we got to win. We never came close again. for u just to blame scotty is ass.

We might as well blame Jim Kelly for being a QB that couldn't win the big game... who cares about 4 in a row when you have a QB that crumbles on the biggest stage. after all the next 3 superbowls were nowhere near feild goals to win.

Bills-Giants was the only shot we had. Jim kelly played his ass off in that superbowl, its a shame we lost. Scotty must feel like ****, it has to haunt him. Were bills fans, he was a bill.

I swear ray finkel is based off that dude

We had a shot in the fourth one as well. Up 13-6 and with the ball running it down the boys throats to start the second half. Thurman fumbles....and we fall apart. If he holds onto the ball...who knows?

I've always felt Kelly wanted to be MVP of that game (XXV) more than he wanted to win. I LOVE Jim....but he needed to call his number a bit less....and Thurman's a bit more. With two down lineman on D we should have given it to Thurman 40 times rather than 15. Again...who knows?

The reality is that Scott Norwood has become the unfortunate scapegoat for a team that collectively choked a winnable game away. He missed a 47 yarder...hardly an automatic field goal for any kicker. Levy was badly outcoached, and the rest of the team spent too much time partying and getting drunk beforehand. The outcome of a game is determined by the sum total of plays and not by any one particular play.

If you plan on booing Norwood on Sunday, then you should quit calling yourself a Bills fan because you are a !@#$ing disgrace to the rest of us who call ourselves Bills fans.

right on the money

47-yard field goals are not gimmes. I never really blamed Norwood. I mean, he sucked as a kicker and I was so glad when we signed Christie, but I mostly blamed a defense that couldn't get off the field, some bad luck, and perhaps not enough touches for Thurman.

He sucked as a kicker? Did you actually watch any Bills games between 1987 and 1990?

As a fan, we live with the bad as well as the good and we should stand an honor the guy's CAREER and realize he won more games than he lost. This team had 3 more chances to vindicate that kick and failed and we still love Kelly, Bruce, Andre and Thurman and they are as responsible for 4 straight losses as Norwood.

Be a true Buffalonian and cheer. It's what separates us from Philly fans!!

I'll co-sign on this. The guy's a hero in my book and deserves just as much praise as the rest of the members of those great Bills teams. For people to even THINK of booing him is unbelievable.

The reality is that Scott Norwood has become the unfortunate scapegoat for a team that collectively choked a winnable game away. He missed a 47 yarder...hardly an automatic field goal for any kicker. Levy was badly outcoached, and the rest of the team spent too much time partying and getting drunk beforehand. The outcome of a game is determined by the sum total of plays and not by any one particular play.

If you plan on booing Norwood on Sunday, then you should quit calling yourself a Bills fan because you are a !@#$ing disgrace to the rest of us who call ourselves Bills fans.

Well said. The performance of the rest of the team that day was an absolute discrace. Thomas SUCKED. Norwood missed a difficult field goal that only has a 50% chance of being made. Add in the fact and stress of the Super Bowl and it's even more difficult. If Thurman wasn't partying so much, and Kelly could beat a backup QB on the other side, perhaps we wouldn't have needed a last second kick.

Biggest miss of the game was talley whiffing on meggett's 3rd down run allowing a critical first down on their epic TD drive before the half. In addition to 7 Pts it set the tone for the second half

We got beat by a bunch of no-names. Meggett, Hostletler, etc. Total epic fail on the Bills part. Levy was a terrible HC. Stick him on a team not loaded with Bill Polian talent and he's Dick Jauron. Yeah, I said it. Levy=Jauron.

They know for a fact that he missed

that !@#$in' field goal on purpose.

That he got paid money

and he missed it on purpose, okay ?

That mother!@#$. That mother!@#$.

l wonder how much.

l wonder how much that mother!@#$

got paid to ruin my !@#$in' life.

Buffalo 66?

Biggest miss of the game was talley whiffing on meggett's 3rd down run allowing a critical first down on their epic TD drive before the half. In addition to 7 Pts it set the tone for the second half

I would say biggest play was HALF the friggen team whiffing on Ingram on 3rd and 13 to keep the opening drive of the 2nd half alive and leading toa TD for the Gints.

How anybody could boo Norwood is beyond me.I guess I am like an old coach..physical mistakes never bother me. Only player I would truly boo based on aa physical mistake is Ronnie Harmon..and thats because I truly believe he dropped it on purpose..and no one will ever convince me otherwise.

Edited by plenzmd1