Brad Smith - Are we using him correctly?

MClem06

I'm sitting here reading the article about Brad on two bills drive that talks about his production with the Jets and how he was an all purpose kind of guy. I start thinking that besides the wildcat and the crucial first downs he's been able to get us where has he been? and are we using him enough? did we overpay for him? I watched the tape on some of his runs and also the few catches he's had and i have to say that it's not like he has shown the burst or shiftyness i've seen on some of the jets highlight tapes but most of those are from kick off returns where he is already at full speed when he makes his moves. Since that BS kickoff rule changed IMO he's not the value that he was in NY. I know I'm gonna catch flack from the supporters but I'm not a big time fan of the wildcat even though it works sometimes. Anyone else share the same sentiment? Not impressed with his passing capability and I don't believe the coaching staff is either bc they haven't passed out of that formation very much if at all.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All I know is Brad Smith gets the first down 95% of the time. It's boring yet effective, and it's effective because we don't overdo it. Never doubt Megamind.

PTR

To add to this, the OP referred to the first downs as "crucial." He has kept drives going that have resulted in points and killing the clock.

Smith has been nothing but an asset to this team.

He's dropped as many balls that he has caught which may explain why he has gotten limited opportunities. It also says something that Spiller is getting WR reps and not him.

That being said another poster is correct that there are other plays that can be run out of the Wildcat. I'm just waiting for him to throw it again - I know he has an INT already. I'm thinking the same play Fred Jackson threw to Lee Evans against KC or a double crossing pattern with Chandler short and Nelson deeper.

Edited by Dadonkadonk

He ran a lot of option out of the wildcat with NYJ. I'd like to see some of that rather than the simple QB Iso and QB counter we've seen all year.

Love to see him at least throw the ball i know he has a kinda attempted pass but c mon. he has an arm...use it

To add to this, the OP referred to the first downs as "crucial." He has kept drives going that have resulted in points and killing the clock.

Smith has been nothing but an asset to this team.

I totally agree. I would like to see them work with him on actually passing the ball, or reverse to Spiller lined up as a WR.

The wild cat works better if they have to respect that you may actually throw the ball.

All I know is Brad Smith gets the first down 95% of the time. It's boring yet effective, and it's effective because we don't overdo it. Never doubt Megamind.

PTR

I appreciate this stat, but where does it come from?

I could see a chance to "go get 'em" this week for Brad against his former employers.

I think he'll become more handy later in the year as the running game becomes yet more crucial. I also think a new playbook is probably going to mean greater returns (if not kick returns) and more opportunities next year for him.

Love to see him at least throw the ball i know he has a kinda attempted pass but c mon. he has an arm...use it

He passed in the last game against Redskins,... it was a 20-30 yd pass that resulted in a pass interference penalty. It doesn't show up in stats, but it achieved exactly the result that was planned

He has been effective at getting first downs. While we would love to see bigger plays keeping drives alive and the D off the field is crucial. With time I think Gailey will get more creative with him. Keep in mind the Bills had to install packages for him in a hurry without the benefit of a full offseason.

Not yet. Gailey lamented that the abbreviated off-season (besides no OTA's and minicamps, Smith had to sit-out the first few days of camp because of the new CBA rules) prevented him from fully implementing Smith into the offense. Wait until next year.

I said it before the season and I'll say it now; Smith is not touching the ball enough to be worth the money they paid him. I am glad he's been making us some 1st downs, but I don't think he is doing anything more than what Freddie could do in the wild cat.

This year the wild cat, next year the triple option.

I'm sitting here reading the article about Brad on two bills drive that talks about his production with the Jets and how he was an all purpose kind of guy.

I think there is a misperception here about what kind of player Brad Smith was for the Jets. 'All purpose' doesn't mean he was on the field all the time. Smith averaged only 32 touches and 265 yards from scrimmage (rushing/receiving) per year during his 5 years with the Jets and he's on pace to exceed those #s this season. This is who he is when the offense is on the field.

I think he got a lot more notice last season since it was his first as the Jets' primary KO returner and he did very well. Of course with the rule changes this season, those opportunities are much fewer so there should be the expectation of diminished returns on special teams.

Personally, I didn't understand the FA signing in the first place or the hoopla that surrounded it.

PTR

I remember a few weeks ago when this stat was 100%. :lol:

Brad Smith - Are we using him correctly?

The Bills are 5-2 so my answer would be a resounding YES

Besides if, God forbid, Fitz goes down for any length of time you are going to be very happy Smith is around.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I think there is a misperception here about what kind of player Brad Smith was for the Jets. 'All purpose' doesn't mean he was on the field all the time. Smith averaged only 32 touches and 265 yards from scrimmage (rushing/receiving) per year during his 5 years with the Jets and he's on pace to exceed those #s this season. This is who he is when the offense is on the field.

I think he got a lot more notice last season since it was his first as the Jets' primary KO returner and he did very well. Of course with the rule changes this season, those opportunities are much fewer so there should be the expectation of diminished returns on special teams.

Personally, I didn't understand the FA signing in the first place or the hoopla that surrounded it.

I understand your perspective, KD, but I also think you have to take the long view on this. They bought pretty high on Smith, but they are already getting bonus production, essentially from the 3rd QB position, via the new rules. That the Bills are an innovator here is pretty encouraging.

Also, as mentioned by others, he had a pretty short curve to getting to know the playbook, and they will be able to design and install more plays for him next go-around. I still think you're going to see more of him now that a lot of the fundamentals are in place, and as we shift more toward run and run-options in the colder weather.

I said it before the season and I'll say it now; Smith is not touching the ball enough to be worth the money they paid him. I am glad he's been making us some 1st downs, but I don't think he is doing anything more than what Freddie could do in the wild cat.

This year the wild cat, next year the triple option.

Smith can only play as much as the coaches play him. Personally I think he should have been used more in the Bengals and Giants games.