Everything FRED JACKSON

Hey guys,

This was posted late last week but the link was taken down on Sunday night. Here is a new link for anyone who missed it. Let me know what you think and please follow me on twitter at twitter.com/georgeskoutakis

I will be doing more things like this with the Bills in the future and look forward to hearing what you guys think!

youtube.com/watch?v=zVOEmITU7II

GREAT VIDEO THANK YOU!!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, John, really?? It's not in Stevie to ever be in Reed's category. Andre never met a defender he couldn't shake -let alone multiple defenders on a single play. Johnson RARELY gets past the first tackler. If he isn't hit in stride, he doesn't gain another yard. If Reed makes the HOF, it will be on his incredible YAC -a stat and activity Johnson shows very little aptitude for.

See Johnson vs. Bengals last year and vs. Bears,

He can make people miss, he just thrives on slants and curls.

Actually you don't.

And there is actual urgency because the time to sign FAs that you want to keep is the off season before they become free agents. Every week goes by you have less leverage and the player has more leverage. The closer the player gets to having 31 other teams compete for that player's services the less likely the player will return to your team.

It's a very simple concept.

I'm sure Buddy has an old country saying that expresses that competition can cost you more money in the long run. Something along the lines off proposing to a debutant before her ball.

It's really just silly to suggest otherwise. Once Stevie is a FA the market goes up, not down. The Bills do not have an option to match.

Letting Stevie walk is a lesson to David Nelson, Donald Jones, Scott Chandler, and Naaman Roosevelt that if you work hard, do the right things and perform well, the Bills still won't pay you.

Hey Santa Claus, not every player gets to be the highest paid. If you cave to every player who wants a 8-figure deal you wind up with nothing. There are 25 starters on every team and they all can't be making $10M a year.

PTR

I have a feeling that Johnson's agent is going to look for superstar WR money, and Johnson doesn't have the track record to back up that kind of demand. I'm not saying I don't want him here, but I have a feeling this one could get ugly.

I agree he's vulnerable particularly with galleys skill developing receivers and fitz ability to involve everyone.

Actually you don't.

And there is actual urgency because the time to sign FAs that you want to keep is the off season before they become free agents. Every week goes by you have less leverage and the player has more leverage. The closer the player gets to having 31 other teams compete for that player's services the less likely the player will return to your team.

I'm sure Buddy has an old country saying that expresses that competition can cost you more money in the long run. Something along the lines off proposing to a debutant before her ball.

It's really just silly to suggest otherwise. Once Stevie is a FA the market goes up, not down. The Bills do not have an option to match.

Letting Stevie walk is a lesson to David Nelson, Donald Jones, Scott Chandler, and Naaman Roosevelt that if you work hard, do the right things and perform well, the Bills still won't pay you.

The reports that it went from the Bills and Stevie having talks, to them being $2M apart, to them now having no talks and waiting. It sounds like Stevie & his agent have decided to wait for the open market.

Edited by Carey Bender

Hate to say this but I sense that Stevie is not anywhere close to being a priority as far as re-signing and I'm not sure why. (only thing I can think of is Stevie would prefer long term stability (and they know it) and not the franchise tag which is what has been leaked recently. but why would the team want to franchise him when they can resign him for less than the price of the franchise tag? are they unsure of stevie or do they believe wide receivers are easy to find? or is this simply a negotiating tactic? just asking questions)

Why do you say they can resign him for less than the price of the franchise tag?

How does this:

Actually you don't.

Have anything to do with this:

Hey Santa Claus, not every player gets to be the highest paid. If you cave to every player who wants a 8-figure deal you wind up with nothing. There are 25 starters on every team and they all can't be making $10M a year.

PTR

No where does it say make every player the highest paid player. No where does it say give everyone an 8-figure deal.

It simply says, sign players that you want to keep before they become FAs.

What the player "wants" is irrelevant. What the market will bear and where you value the player is relevant. Once a player becomes a FA you get to see the real market value of the player and you make not be willing to pay it.

If you sign a player before they hit an open market 9/10 you will pay less for that player.

If you let a player hit Free Agency they leave your team more often than they stay (go ahead at least the few players that re-sign after hitting FA but if you do that list all the players that go to a different team, then compare the two.)

If a management team lets a player become a Free Agent they are saying in no uncertain terms, "we are completely content to let you leave the team, we really don't value you that much."

Edited by Why So Serious?

Fitz is going to want to keep Stevie. They played and practiced together as backups. This is partially responsible for their long term chemistry imo.

I truly hope they keep him. I am sure the scheme contributes to a great extent, but SJ gets open, as do other Bills receivers. This was not the case before Gailey and I see no need to mess with something that works.

The reports that it went from the Bills and Stevie having talks, to them being $2M apart, to them now having no talks and waiting. It sounds like Stevie & his agent have decided to wait for the open market.

2 Mil apart on 120 Mill salary cap isn't that far apart. It seems like they could work it out if they were serious.

But yes, 1 or both of the sides seem content to part ways.

From the Bills perspective you can pay an extra dozen 100K in order to prove to your 7th rounders and UDFAs, that are huge contributors to your team, that there is light at the end of the tunnel IN BUFFALO instead of proving to everyone that you need to leave Buffalo in order to get paid, but that's just me.

How does this:

Have anything to do with this:

No where does it say make every player the highest paid player. No where does it say give everyone an 8-figure deal.

It simply says, sign players that you want to keep before they become FAs.

What the player "wants" is irrelevant. What the market will bear and where you value the player is relevant. Once a player becomes a FA you get to see the real market value of the player and you make not be willing to pay it.

If you sign a player before they hit an open market 9/10 you will pay less for that player.

If you let a player hit Free Agency they leave your team more often than they stay (go ahead at least the few players that re-sign after hitting FA but if you do that list all the players that go to a different team, then compare the two.)

If a management team lets a player become a Free Agent they are saying in no uncertain terms, "we are completely content to let you leave the team, we really don't value you that much."

It was the line about how if our players work hard they won't get paid.

We like to think that players know their value and slot themselves accordingly, but their agents earn their rep by scoring bigger deals for their clients.

And like clockwork all the nervous nellies want to give every player what they want right away, and if we don't then Ralph is cheap and the team is run by bean counters. That includes Jerry Sunshine. We're all experts on what players are worth but not on how everyone fits under the cap or how next year's deals are supposed to fit.

PTR

2 Mil apart on 120 Mill salary cap isn't that far apart. It seems like they could work it out if they were serious.

But yes, 1 or both of the sides seem content to part ways.

From the Bills perspective you can pay an extra dozen 100K in order to prove to your 7th rounders and UDFAs, that are huge contributors to your team, that there is light at the end of the tunnel IN BUFFALO instead of proving to everyone that you need to leave Buffalo in order to get paid, but that's just me.

$2M per year on a 6 year contract is $12M though, which is a decent chunk of change.

They'll be waiting 18 months

This.

He's going to get franchised next year people. Stevie loves playing here. He's gonna make a s***ton of money in 2012. He knows it, his agent knows it. They'll worry about him next year. Do you really think the Bills think Erik Pears is more vital to re-sign than SJ (especially w/ Hairston on the roster)?? They made an attempt, it wasn't working out, they'll put it on the shelf until next season after they have everyone else signed.

$2M per year on a 6 year contract is $12M though, which is a decent chunk of change.

$12M over 6 years is a lot of money in a vacuum.

but $12 Mil out of a potential $720M worth of salary over the 6 years is less than 2%

And if you plot the difference and negotiate from there, it's really a few 100K one way or the other. If they wanted to get it done, they could.

That's why I say its not really that far apart.

It was the line about how if our players work hard they won't get paid.

We like to think that players know their value and slot themselves accordingly, but their agents earn their rep by scoring bigger deals for their clients.

And like clockwork all the nervous nellies want to give every player what they want right away, and if we don't then Ralph is cheap and the team is run by bean counters. That includes Jerry Sunshine. We're all experts on what players are worth but not on how everyone fits under the cap or how next year's deals are supposed to fit.

PTR

I've never thought that, no offense, but I'm not sure why anyone would think that.

Every player wants to be the top paid at their position and thinks they deserve more than they get.

It's up to the market to form the value of the player and the agent to get as close to the highest market value as possible. Yes Agents are greedy and want the most money for their clients, but I bet you they have to sell less than the top paid at their position, gently to their clients more often than not.

It's really up t to the agent, to get the most money and sell the deal to the player too.

There's obviously a disconnect in the Stevie Johnson talks, and it looks like he'll be testing the FA market, unless they use the franchise tag, Which I think would end up costing the Bills more than the $2M that they are off by, meaning Stevie Johnson will be playing for a different team if he hits Free Agency.

Not nervous nelly, (He is fun, but replaceable) Just saying if they were serious about keeping Stevie Johnson in the further a 25 year old 7th round pick that has proven himself to work hard and perform, they would get the deal done before he becomes a Free Agent.

I can tell you with 100% certainly there is no risk in the Bills being anywhere near the cap, if they sign their key contributors, Wood, Levitre, Lindell, Jackson, and Johnson to extensions now. (when they are in theory cheaper. ) With Levitre's solid LT fill in, he almost certainly going to the pro bowl this year. That means more $$$$$.