Pats are NOT Tied with the Bills

The Avenger

So all the media here in the Boston area are proclaiming that the Pats are now "tied atop the AFC East with Buffalo" - too bad they're not actually tied. We have the same record, but the Bills have a better AFC East record and, oh yeah, the BILLS BEAT THE PATS HEAD TO HEAD. Saying the Bills and Pats are tied is like saying I am tied with Bruce Smith for sacks this year....

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Show me when a team won a tiebreaker vs a division opponent for winning the 1st of 2 meetings; until then stop whining about this.

Yea but using that same logic we can state that no team ever made the playoffs with a 5-2 record either...therefore by default the patriots are not tied with the Bills for anything until after week 17.

If we are going to say "so and so is atop this division right now" then we need to consider what tiebreakers would be used right now. Granted, the Patriots will have an opportunity to even up the season series. But the Bills have an equal opportunity of winning the series 2-0. So that point is utterly moot in my opinion.

Edited by SouthGeorgiaBillsFan

Here is a link to the tie-breaker rules:

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

Ofcourse these are applicable at the end of the season to determine playoffs, but as it stands right now, we have beaten the Pats*. Conference record is 3-1 for the Bills and 4-2 for the Pats*. I say, the Bills lead the Pats* in the AFCE. Not sure what the argument is about.

Well, there's right and there's wrong.

To say the Patriots are tied with the Bills is wrong.

To say the Patriots are anything BUT second in the AFCE is wrong.

I believe that was the OP's point.

ok, fair enough but no big deal to me.

This argument is only good for bragging rights. It's nice to say the Bills are in first place right now, but it means nothing after 7 games.

There's no argument to be had.

If the Boston MEDIA is saying the Patriots are tied for the lead in the AFCE they are flat out WRONG.

Does it really matter at this point?

No. Also, "tiebreakers", by definition, are used to break ties. So we definitely are tied. If the tiebreaker was applied, that would break the tie, but until that happens, it's a tie.