Positional Needs for DraftTek

Astrobot

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This P1-9 thing is confusing, esp. since there is no way you can have multiple P2's. I'm doing it by round, assuming that a quality player that we need will be there. If not, switch around the rounds. The P system makes sense, but you then have to rank all the P2's etc. against each other.

RD1: OLB like Von Miller, or D-lineman to put next to Dearus who can help him push people back into the QB and collapse the pocket like the Lions have would be P1. CB if the guy from LSU comes out. He is a game changer like Ed Reed. (not that he'll be available when we draft though)

RD 2: backup QB. If Fitz gets injured, we are DOOMED. We need a young guy to sit and learn the system, and eventually take over.

RD3: another OL. Our depth here is not great.

RD4: another OLB or DL, depending on what was not drafted at P1.

RD 4 (from Ravens): speedy WR to replace Evans/Parrish when he gets injured.

RD 5: another RB that can play every down. We don't seem to have a backup that can do that right now.

RD 6: another OL.

RD 7: best projected talent left on board. Or someone who slipped due to "off field" issues, or going to a small school like Kentucky.

RD 5:

OLB

CB

WR (I think this position turns into a perpetually draft one, like CB has been for years, because of gailey's offense)

OT

Agreed, but I think the difference will be that we wont use multiple 1st rounders on the position. More likely, we'll end up taking a couple WRs every draft between Round 4 and the UDFAs.

I think you build both units (CB and WR) in the same way. Drafting at least one every year in the mid/later rounds.

I don't think CB's are the problem. What we need is a pass rusher. Our guys do ok you can't expect them to cover guys forever. A little pressure would improve our group a ton.

Ummm, have you been watching the games? Our guys can't cover the first few seconds of a route much less "forever" as you say. A double move and our CB's are frozen like Hans Solo in carbonite. So we need CB's, bad. That said, I'd still take a speed rusher OLB first but either by FA or draft we need better CB's.

why isnt OLB a P1...I just notice that there is no P1 anywhere on your list, soooo does that mean we are "all set" at positions?

You can only have one P1 (top priority). I don't think we're only looking at one priority. Maybe next year. We can have lots of P2's; then the computer picks the best available player at one of those positions.

Astro, I would be all about the BPA from the OT and OLB positions. And as much as I like our DTs, I hope that they draft another good one. Also, another good ILB should be easy to come by in this draft.

I like both OT and OLB in this draft; if we put P2 on both positions (with no P1), it will take the BPA.

ILB's will go fast in the '12 draft (we're thinking 4 in the first 20 picks).

I don't think CB's are the problem. What we need is a pass rusher. Our guys do ok you can't expect them to cover guys forever. A little pressure would improve our group a ton.

have you seen the way mcgee, florence, and mckelvin have played at times?

we need new CBs bad (imo more than OLB)

You can only have one P1 (top priority). I don't think we're only looking at one priority. Maybe next year. We can have lots of P2's; then the computer picks the best available player at one of those positions.

I like both OT and OLB in this draft; if we put P2 on both positions (with no P1), it will take the BPA.

ILB's will go fast in the '12 draft (we're thinking 4 in the first 20 picks).

OK.....when do you project Nico Johnson and Donta Hightower from Alabama to go?

OK.....when do you project Nico Johnson and Donta Hightower from Alabama to go?

RD2 #44 Philadelphia Nico Johnson OLB43 Alabama (before our 2nd pick)

Hightower #52 to the Giants, followed by this run on some excellent players:

2 52 NY Giants Don'ta Hightower ILB Alabama

2 53 Tampa Bay Lavonte David OLB43 Nebraska

2 54 New England Vinny Curry DE43 Marshall

2 55 Houston Stephen Hill WRF Georgia Tech

2 56 Buffalo Cliff Harris CB Oregon

RD2 #44 Philadelphia Nico Johnson OLB43 Alabama (before our 2nd pick)

Hightower #52 to the Giants, followed by this run on some excellent players:

2 52 NY Giants Don'ta Hightower ILB Alabama

2 53 Tampa Bay Lavonte David OLB43 Nebraska

2 54 New England Vinny Curry DE43 Marshall

2 55 Houston Stephen Hill WRF Georgia Tech

2 56 Buffalo Cliff Harris CB Oregon

Are you guys projecting FSU DE BRandon Jenkins as a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 rush OLB? He really could go either way, since he goes about 6'3" and 265 lbs. Also, where are you projecting him?

I need to turn in our positional needs for DraftTek (32-Team List Here) by Sunday. Things are clouded right now by injuries, but the need for depth actually became clearer at some positions, and some players stepping up have reduced need at other positions.

My Stab At It (P1=Top Priority, P9=Not a Priority at All; there is no such thing as P5, P7 or P8):

QB=P2 Yes Fitz is very good, but Thigpen-Smith doesn't cut it for depth and grooming)

RBF=P4 (RBF=feature back) Jackson has a couple years left; draft heir unless you believe in Hall-Spiller)

RBC=P9 (RBC=change of pace) Spiller is the change of pace back; so is Johnny White, McIntyre, Smith

WRF=P6 (feature WR) Love Johnson-Nelson-Jones-Roosevelt, but need to replace Easley and Ruvell)

WRS=P4 (speed WR) Parrish is injured often; upcoming draft has burners with more height/muscle

LT=P2 Bell-Hairston ain't bad but you need a franchise LT

LG=P4 Levitre is wonderful, backup Colin Brown is who exactly?

C=P6 Wood is good but look at the depth chart--there is nobody listed

RG=P6 Urbik-Rinehardt is looking better than it did 6 months ago; Urbik and Wood have top numbers right now

RT=P3 Pears-Young is acceptable, probably won't pull the trigger on an RT in the first 3 rounds

DE=P3 Dareus-Heard-Johnson-Edwards is pretty good, until you find out we still develop no push

NT=P2 Williams-Troup. Injured-injured. Need quality depth to get push, possibly early as RD1-2

ILB=P6 Barnett-Sheppard is a strong position on this team. Shep only needs time to be great.

OLB=P2 Time to set a high priority to bringing in this year's Von Miller. It's not Merriman.

FS=P4 This draft is strong at safety, we have 3 SS's and Byrd.

CB=P2 Not quite sold on McKelvin-McGee-Florence-Williams-Rodgers in a division with Brady.

I'd appreciate your preferences! DraftTek interactively creates drafts,

as well as its simulator, this way.

Astro

It's tough at this point Astro, especially not knowing who is going to get signed for 2012. According to rotoworld, pears and bell are ufa's. It would not suprise me if they did not resign bell and that decision will play a big factor in the draft of course.

Assuming they sign every starter they have due, I think the needs are:

P1, M3 - OLB need the pass rusher and another guy that does well in coverage; both need to play the run well

P2 - NT Still need help with the run d, get a space eater

P2 - WRF We need a guy that can stay healthy and help Stevie

P4 - Cb Get someone to groom

I still think they could grab a big back, a speedy wr, maybe a fs. I don't think a de is needed because if they can get a guy who anchors the middle I think it will be enough to help the de's we already have.

I think for qb they'll bump along with Fitz and FA's for the next couple of years. It looks like one more shot at fixing the D this year then on to the O. I was hoping they were going to be playing the run better than they have this year, but that hasn't happened.

Will you guys ever do a round one where there is a list of positions the team won't pick? It would be just for round 1, because when I look at the last couple drafts it seems Nix has gone with more bpa in the first and then more need in rounds 2,3,4.