Buffalo Bills have EXCEEDED my expectations!

rockpile

The Bills are 4-2.

The Bills lost both of those games by a last minute or overtime field goal.

The Bills beat the Patriots.

The Bills have been fun to watch.

I had no expectations of this team going into this season. I knew I would be watching and cheering, but I could not invest myself emotionally like I used to.

The Bills have been playing some exceptional football, and kept their composure after losing the lead instead of folding.

The Bills could have just as easily been 2-4 or worse going into the bye week.

Thank you, Buffalo Bills for giving me a reason to watch football again. I really believe that they expect to win every game.

yes they have exceeded most of our expectations but it doesnt give them a free pass when they literally piss a game away. I even agree that a couple months ago, I'd be happy 4-2 at the bye but expectations can change as things unfold. I'm real pissed off that we are not 5-1 right now or even 6-0. I hope the Bills take the bye week to get healthy and regroup because this season could very quickly turn to the shitter just as easily as we could keep our early success going. Thats how the NFL is and I'm nowhere near convinced that we are ready to take the "next step". Can't count on 5 turnovers every week.

They've overachieved because of interceptions. Every game has come down to turnover differential and it's taken a lot more turnovers in our favor to win games than turnovers against us to lose them. You can't rely on interceptions to win football games.

Edited by earthtobrint

Lets not kid ourselves....Everyone would take 4-2 prior to the start of the season...but I sit here writing this comment feeling very disapointed we are not 5-1 or 6-0.

1 - Stevie Johnson No catch by refs killed us

2 - Gailey play calling with 4 minutes left and Stevie Johnson 15 yard penalty on same play killed us

So bc they exceeded expectations means we should be ok when they lose?

Seriously what's the point of this thread?

You're right, anything less than 19-0 is absolute horse ****.

It's clear every Bills player, coach and employee should be fired.

Totally agree. Sure, we could have beaten Cincy and yes, we could have beaten the Giants. Make a play here, get a break there and we are 6-0. Then again, two good teams blew sizable leads against us and another team with far greater talent lost to us by a touchdown despite being a minus-5 in the turnover battle. So yeah, I'll take 4-2 as well, Rockpile.

I feel exactly the same Rock. First time in years I haven't been just beat down after a Bills loss. They are playing like they actually have a clue. I think I'll take that and a few bumps along the way. Anything beats the ballnumbing losses of the last 15 years...

Seriously, I think we should just make this the official "exceeded expectations" thread and sticky it and we can all sign it so that we don't have to feel guilty or preface every single criticism by saying it.

Just because Bills fans haven't experienced it in over a decade doesn't mean nfl teams who are supposed to stink don't make the playoffs every single year. I don't want to apologize for wanting to be one of those teams one freaking time.

If I have to explain it to you, you'll never understand.

Obviously you can't explain it or you would hv

You are obviously ok with them losing bc they are exceeding expectations....yeah perfect sense

I on the other hand hate seeing them lose games they should probably win

Edited by Max997

Another tough loss by three points. Remember last year when those types of losses were offset by only four wins? The Bills have most emphatically exceeded my expectations and continue to play well. The board here has breed a new sort of Bill hater, the "we are no good because we need turnovers!" We were right there today and would have gone up late in the fourth if Fitz had not thrown that second int. This is a good team that can hang with the best in the league and win more than they lose. We lost again on the road, which is worrisome but they were so close to taking this one at the end. Again, the Bills have most definitely exceeded almost everyone's expectations and the play has been to a high level that I haven't seen in years.

They have been exciting to watch, but try having a little less alcohol before posting next time. Let's set you a 4 beer limit! Here's why: You were probably also happy the year they started out 5-0 and missed the Playoffs. Wow, they won 4 games. Guess what, they could loose the rest the way their defense is playing. How will you and all the Kool-Aid drinking fans feel then? It your not continuously improving you're going to be exposed....like the Bills were today by a below-average offense.

Anyone who is not pissed off after a loss and can't see that this teams defense is a MAJOR liability has clearly drank to much, or has been beaten into accepting mediocrity.

yes they have exceeded most of our expectations but it doesnt give them a free pass when they literally piss a game away. I even agree that a couple months ago, I'd be happy 4-2 at the bye but expectations can change as things unfold. I'm real pissed off that we are not 5-1 right now or even 6-0. I hope the Bills take the bye week to get healthy and regroup because this season could very quickly turn to the shitter just as easily as we could keep our early success going. Thats how the NFL is and I'm nowhere near convinced that we are ready to take the "next step". Can't count on 5 turnovers every week.

Clearly someone will say your not a real-fan or some other sort of BS. But you are 100% correct. This team should be 6-0 right now. They should not have let a rookie QB lead a game winning drive against them (Cincy) and should not have let a team averaging 85 rushing yards a game run all over them for 122 yards and give up 400 yards total. Thank you for your common sense. !

Reading over the other posts it strikes me that there is a fundamental difference in expectations. For some, a decent showing by the Bills where they play competitive is a great game and a win would just seal that deal. For others it seems that perfection is the ultimate goal and falling short of perfection is to be derided. I fall in the first camp. It could be because I am easy going and less driven than some or it could be that I have been influenced by years of Bills' failures to expect a minimum of success. I feel that people who demand perfection are rebelling against the second reason I just listed: the complacency of a perennial loser. This is to be applauded among players and fans as we all strive for the best possible outcome. However, let's keep it civil fellas. Some of us like to re-affirm our optimism after a tough loss. We also see it as a way to support this team through good and bad, something we all learned about the last few years. The point of this post is to request a truce in the wake of a tough loss. Circle the wagons, Mutherfockers!

So see by many posts today that we are fair weather fans that hate to lose even if we have clearly been exceeding the expectations this season. Clearly we would like to be 6-0 or 5-1 but this is a team that one doesnt have a great defense. The defense has been luck at the most opprotunistic times. But the offense has looked even better considering that ther are so many nonamed players that are clearly doing well this season. I find it hard to comprehend that fans still bekieve that the team and every player on it needs to be perfect every single play of every single down of every single quarter of every single game and it doesnt work that way. I have been very happy with the way the Offense has moved the ball. I think they do need improvement on third downs but they have been outstanding in the red zone.'

The defense is my major concern they are the ones that are costing us the games as much as they are responsible for winning us games. You can only expect an offense to put up so many points we are second in the league for the points for. Considering teams past this team is in the game until the final two minutes of every game the play. My expectation going into the seaosn was a 7-9 team improved over last year but ready for a serious run next year. What makes them exceed my expectations this year is that guys are going down and guys are stepping up they teanm is playing like a team and learning how to win. Learning how to bounce back from a loss learning how to comeback in a game and they have learned how to win the against the Pats. However we are not there yet and to expect more i think is foolish.

So long as they are fighting to win every week and learning how to win and learning how to expect to win. That makes me happy. This team has been one of the best teams to watch in years even of the defense can be painful to watch at times the offense has just been fun. If they can squeak into the playoffs that would be awesome. But I am very happy with how this team is playing as a team. Happy with how gailey is coaching them. Happy with how Fitz has complete comand of his offense considering hes a guy I never wanted I believe this guy can take us there unlike others on this board. I will continue to watch with hope that they win and the enjoyment of the game. I believe a strong draft and free agents signing an we will be the team to beat next season.

Again a polarizing discussion replete with mild name calling.

Look, there's a wide range between a) being happy with the loss and b) being suicidal over the loss.

Most of us are somewhere in between and probably not far from each other but the discussion and rhetoric seem to make the chasm wider.

No one is happy that we lost. No one (I hope) is suicidal that we lost.

Some people take it harder than others and some people take it less hard than others and there shouldn't be anything wrong with that… either way.

I'm not happy we lost but I'm pleased with how the season has gone. I expected this team to be in the 2nd year of a 3-year rebuild and to win 7-9 games this year.

I just watched a highly entertaining game.

I just watched a young team which is substantially improved from last year and appears likely to improve next year.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

So see by many posts today that we are fair weather fans that hate to lose even if we have clearly been exceeding the expectations this season. Clearly we would like to be 6-0 or 5-1 but this is a team that one doesnt have a great defense. The defense has been luck at the most opprotunistic times. But the offense has looked even better considering that ther are so many nonamed players that are clearly doing well this season. I find it hard to comprehend that fans still bekieve that the team and every player on it needs to be perfect every single play of every single down of every single quarter of every single game and it doesnt work that way. I have been very happy with the way the Offense has moved the ball. I think they do need improvement on third downs but they have been outstanding in the red zone.'

The defense is my major concern they are the ones that are costing us the games as much as they are responsible for winning us games. You can only expect an offense to put up so many points we are second in the league for the points for. Considering teams past this team is in the game until the final two minutes of every game the play. My expectation going into the seaosn was a 7-9 team improved over last year but ready for a serious run next year. What makes them exceed my expectations this year is that guys are going down and guys are stepping up they teanm is playing like a team and learning how to win. Learning how to bounce back from a loss learning how to comeback in a game and they have learned how to win the against the Pats. However we are not there yet and to expect more i think is foolish.

So long as they are fighting to win every week and learning how to win and learning how to expect to win. That makes me happy. This team has been one of the best teams to watch in years even of the defense can be painful to watch at times the offense has just been fun. If they can squeak into the playoffs that would be awesome. But I am very happy with how this team is playing as a team. Happy with how gailey is coaching them. Happy with how Fitz has complete comand of his offense considering hes a guy I never wanted I believe this guy can take us there unlike others on this board. I will continue to watch with hope that they win and the enjoyment of the game. I believe a strong draft and free agents signing an we will be the team to beat next season.

Who/what do you supposse we draft? I have no clue at this point. The O-line would have been my pick pre-season, but now i'm thinking the best pass rusher on the board. I still think we make the playoffs this year btw. This tema knows they should have won today, and at Cincy, and I don't think we'll see the second half melt-downs of the past few weeks. BUT, being a Pirates and Bills fan, I've seen FAR too many seaons collapse and people get excited way to early. When I see the * (clinched playoff spot) next to their name (the Bills) then I'll be extremly pleased. Right now I'm enjoying the ride, but I don't think there is anything wrong with discussing what needs to be improved upon going forward.

Honestly we can't complain. The Bills are fun to watch again, and it will remain that way as long as Gailey's around. Speaking of which, we've also found a coach we can have some confidence in. Yes, he shouldn't have called a fade to the end zone today in that situation. But if Fitz doesn't under throw that ball and Stevie catches it for 6, we're calling him a mastermind, which has happened before.

We're 4-2 at the bye, who could have expected that? I'm not ignoring the fact our defense has given up an astronomical amount of yards so far this year. If we can make a few changes here and there, we should be okay with the way our offense has been producing.

spoken like a true, beaten down bills fan trying to spin a negative into a positive. give me a !@#$ing break. with 1st down on the 20 with 4 minutes to play, i'd say we have a 90% shot of winning the game - instead we piss the game away. why should i be satisfied with 4-2 when we were 4-1 6 hours ago with the game in complete control?

seriously, what the !@#$ does "exceeding expectations" mean anyway? if i predicted 5 wins, should i be thrilled if we get to 6? such a p u s s y mindset.

spoken like a true, beaten down bills fan trying to spin a negative into a positive. give me a !@#$ing break. with 1st down on the 20 with 4 minutes to play, i'd say we have a 90% shot of winning the game - instead we piss the game away. why should i be satisfied with 4-2 when we were 4-1 6 hours ago with the game in complete control?

I think you're greatly overestimating the odds.

seriously, what the !@#$ does "exceeding expectations" mean anyway? if i predicted 5 wins, should i be thrilled if we get to 6? such a p u s s y mindset.

I guess you can be angry instead.

I think you're greatly overestimating the odds.

I guess you can be angry instead.

who says i'm angry? because i'm using swear words? are you a kindergarten teacher?

What do you know about "complete control?"

LOL.

huh? are you disagreeing that we shouldn't have put the game away on that drive? theoretically they could've run the ENTIRE clock down and kicked a field goal again like the Pats game. the underneath routes to nelson were automatic the whole 4th quarter. some decent playcalling and ANY execution from fitz and we we're 5-1. are you actually !@#$ing debating this?

huh? are you disagreeing that we shouldn't have put the game away on that drive? theoretically they could've run the ENTIRE clock down and kicked a field goal again like the Pats game. the underneath routes to nelson were automatic the whole 4th quarter. some decent playcalling and ANY execution from fitz and we we're 5-1. are you actually !@#$ing debating this?

Yes. I am debating this.

Look at what I've bolded above.

Do you not understand the irony?

Gailey calls a play, the wide receiver is wide open… probably because the defense is expecting a run.

You say "Any execution from Fitz?"

Does that not include hitting a wide open receiver for a touchdown?

Calm down, Killer.

Seriously.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

who says i'm angry? because i'm using swear words? are you a kindergarten teacher?

Frequent use of profanity doesn't make you look calm and in control, let's just say that. Neither does spacing words out to avoid the profanity filter.

Yes. I am debating this.

Look at what I've bolded above.

Do you not understand the irony?

Gailey calls a play, the wide receiver is wide open… probably because the defense is expecting a run.

You say "Any execution from Fitz?"

Does that not include hitting a wide open receiver for a touchdown?

Calm down, Killer.

Seriously.

i hate the play call. i was looking for some freddy runs and some quick hitch passes to nelson. milk the clock down and feed freddy the rock. if you do it perfectly, you can score a TD with a 1:50 left and no NYG timeouts, or kick a FG.

what was the point of going for the jugular with 4 minutes to play anyway? was gailey not watching his defense gets torched all game? ideally you run the clock down a little, THEN score. Brady does it all the damn time. Like today.

Frequent use of profanity doesn't make you look calm and in control, let's just say that. Neither does spacing words out to avoid the profanity filter.

lol like i give a !@#$ what you think.

i hate the play call. i was looking for some freddy runs and some quick hitch passes to nelson.

Nelson hasn't run a hitch this year and will never be elusive enough for it.

lol like i give a !@#$ what you think.

Personally, I kinda hope you keep it up.

Here's a little more hawser for ya......

It is fun to watch this team each week. How many years has it been that we would watch and see boring football, terrible football etc. Its fun to see an overachieving group of guys come out and play their asses off until the end. Just remember last year at this time we were 0 - 6 and looking like we could be headed for a Lions like 0 - 16 season. Personally I am enjoying the ride and look forward to Bills football on sundays versus watching to see if we could pull off a miracle and win. I am watching intently with confidence we will make the game exciting.

The point of this thread is very simple. I expected another year of total suck, and instead the first six games have provided football worth watching. I am SO not ok that they lost to the Giants.

They should have closed it the way they did with the Patriots. The end of game play calling was surprisingly stupid.

I did not see the Bengals game but was disappointed that they lost in OT. I was at my daughters' wedding and getting updates while playing my role: Father of the Bride. :D

The point is that the Bills are much better than I expected they would be this year. They are playing with heart.

I never said that means 'losing is OK'.

Seriously.

I did not see the Bengals game but was disappointed that they lost in OT. I was at my daughters' wedding and getting updates while playing my role: Father of the Bride. :D

(the scene, a church, bride and groom at the alter, everything is quiet)

Priest : "Is there anyone here that believes this man and woman should not be married?"

(Rockpile jumps up out of the pew)

Rockpile : "YES!!!"

(camera pans to show an earbud in Rockpiles ear that he's using to listen to the Cincy/Buff game)

I agree 100% with the OP. The Bills have definitely surpassed my expectations. Yes, there are lots of thing that they need to improve on. But, DAMN, its been a great start to the season. They are competitive in every game. They been the F'n PATS*. They are undefeated at home. They only lost 2 games and both could have been wins with 1 or 2 additional plays being made. I am excited for the rest of the season. I look at it this way:

If we can win all of our remaining home games (toronto included), then we just need to find 1 road win to hit 10-6. That would be an awesome season to build on. The injuries seem to be piling up. Hopefully these guys can get healthy during the Bye week and come back strong for the rest of the year. It is fun thinking playoffs at this point in the season instead of thinking about the draft. THIS IS WHAT A FOOTBALL SEASON IS SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE.

We worked out a code with the wine glasses.

When the Bills scored,: ding ding ding (pause) ding

When Cincy scored,: ding ding ding (pause) ding ding

:rolleyes:

(the scene, a church, bride and groom at the alter, everything is quiet)

Priest : "Is there anyone here that believes this man and woman should not be married?"

(Rockpile jumps up out of the pew)

Rockpile : "YES!!!"

(camera pans to show an earbud in Rockpiles ear that he's using to listen to the Cincy/Buff game)