Chilly

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Al Davis, a true visionary.... R.I.P.

This kind of thing just makes me first think how lucky this town is. The fact of the matter is all of the Ralph bashing that happens on this board needs to stop. Mr. Wilson is not far behind and it will be a very sad day in WNY when he finally passes. Dare I say, he may be one of the few people in town that should have a statue erected in his honor (along side of the Knox brothers).

Enjoy these last 5-8 (hopefully) boys. Because although I worry very little about this team going anywhere, the spector will remain until #12, Golisano, Bob Rich, Pegula, Jacobs or a combination decide to step up.

So proud that everything is respectful. Mr Davis, You are a man without equal. My thoughts go out to the raiders fans but also to the Davis family. It was a pleasure. Arglwydd dyma chi.

Sad day for football. He was a pioneer. Does this mean Ralph is the last of the AFL owners? I think so.

This is a very sad day for the NFL, and very surreal for me having lived in the Bay Area all my life.

When it came to Al Davis, you either loved him or hated him. I do not want to get into all the great things and bad things that come up whenever his name is mentioned. Instead I want to thank him for being such a prominent figure in the game of football. He was an extremely passionate person when it came to the Raiders, and he always did what he thought was best for the team.

It'd been sad to watch Davis slowly wither away as he became more frail in recent years. Gone was the tenacity and fervor that he would give.

RIP Mr. Davis, you were truly one of a kind.

P.S. All condolences to the Raider Nation. The fans, the former & current players & coaches.

If anyone can truly be called an eccentric, Al Davis was it. He was a man who had his vision of things and stuck to it. Sometimes to the astonishment of all as his band of pirates bloodied and stunned their way into Super Bowl prominence, but most of the time, especially these later years, making matters worse for his team WRT coaching hires (with what coaches he could attract given his management style and hierarchy) and zany personnel moves.

It seems that altho the love-hate relationship the league had with Davis is now over, the fans are assured of there being relative stability of the franchise. Given the givens, it will be no surprise if the Roski(?) group buys the team and moves it to LA, either right away while playing in the Rose Bowl stadium and/or once the proposed stadium is completed. It sucks somewhat for fans in Oakland proper, but their team is assured of staying in the same general region. Such a move might also benefit the 49ers and help quell some of the bad blood that has generated between the teams (the ugly incident during preseason only the most recent) from such close proximity. And as Bills fans, we can see a silver (and black) lining that this brings some measure of relief to the rumors over the years that our team would be heading there. So at the risk of sounding a little crass, it's fortunate that Mr. Davis went to the giant pigskin reward in the sky first. RIP.

"The Autumn wind is a Raider

Pillaging just for fun

He'll knock you 'round and upside down

And laugh when he's conquered and won."

Steve Sabol as narrated by John Facenda

RIP Mr.Davis.

There will never be another like you.

Plus one--that's what I think of when I think of the Raiders. Rest in peace, Mr. Davis.....

If anyone can truly be called an eccentric, Al Davis was it. He was a man who had his vision of things and stuck to it. Sometimes to the astonishment of all as his band of pirates bloodied and stunned their way into Super Bowl prominence, but most of the time, especially these later years, making matters worse for his team WRT coaching hires (with what coaches he could attract given his management style and hierarchy) and zany personnel moves.

It seems that altho the love-hate relationship the league had with Davis is now over, the fans are assured of there being relative stability of the franchise. Given the givens, it will be no surprise if the Roski(?) group buys the team and moves it to LA, either right away while playing in the Rose Bowl stadium and/or once the proposed stadium is completed. It sucks somewhat for fans in Oakland proper, but their team is assured of staying in the same general region. Such a move might also benefit the 49ers and help quell some of the bad blood that has generated between the teams (the ugly incident during preseason only the most recent) from such close proximity. And as Bills fans, we can see a silver (and black) lining that this brings some measure of relief to the rumors over the years that our team would be heading there. So at the risk of sounding a little crass, it's fortunate that Mr. Davis went to the giant pigskin reward in the sky first. RIP.

Same general region? Same state maybe, but LA is 6 hours by car from Oakland. Small comfort to local Raider fans....