Concerned about our linebackers

Four games into the season and I'm starting to get a little concerned about our LB'ers. We've been giving up a ton of yards and we seem to be struggling making impact plays from the LB position. With Dareus and WIlliams taking up 4 blockers there should be guys free to make plays and it's not happening.

Merriman is nowhere close to what we saw in pre-season. He's currently somewhere around 60% effective.

Barnett is playing his ass off.

Did Morrison even play today?

Moats?

Batten is a gamer but he's still very raw.

Kelsay is Kelsay, always around, playing ok but never making that OMG play.

I'm thinking this may be our first position of need for next year. We need more impact from that squad. Anyone else concerned?

I am wondering how long it will be before we start to see Shep.....

As a whole the way we play 3-4 is confusing to me.....because I still remember Wade Phillips 3-4 which was attack attack attack

This seems to be a passive 3-4 which I dont get

Because the bills are not playing a 34 most of the time. Most of the time, the Bills base set has been a 43 o/u. They just don't have the personnel to play it.

Defense sucks. Period....if we don't stop making horrible qbs look like brees there is no shot at the Playoffs...out defense is so predictable, mostly man, no blitzing, NO PRESSURE...it's insane how much comfort every qb has had in the pocket...oh yea, we can't stop screens either!.......I like our guys, I think plays/schemes/coaching suck...pass rush is my only complaint as far as skill goes with our d personnel.

All valid comments. I was wondering all game what happened to our LBs. No outside contain, no consistent tackling, and no blitzing. You would think that the game plan would have been to blitz more against a rookie QB and keep him rattled. Or at least adjust during the game after the front 4 was giving him too much time. But that's on the coaches.

But it wouldn't surprise me if the 1st pick next year is another DB, based on how the current crop has been performing.

Four games into the season and I'm starting to get a little concerned about our LB'ers. We've been giving up a ton of yards and we seem to be struggling making impact plays from the LB position. With Dareus and WIlliams taking up 4 blockers there should be guys free to make plays and it's not happening.

Merriman is nowhere close to what we saw in pre-season. He's currently somewhere around 60% effective.

Moats?

I'm thinking this may be our first position of need for next year. We need more impact from that squad. Anyone else concerned?

Good analysis. I agree, cause for concern. You don't mention Davis, who has been seeing a lot of time.

I put him like Kelsay. He is competent - always seems to be in the right place, but for a ML, he lacks speed in pursuit and he never seems to make that impact play. Barnett is amazing, but I agree - the next piece we need is help at LB.

It's bend don't break, but we've been broken the last few games, but as fans we looked the other way coz we were winning. The defense is missing a pass rush, and I'm sorry but Cincy should not have beaten us today, and I don't care what rank their defense was. This game makes me mad!

Tim-

The Bills defense corrected the size deficit but now they have a LB speed deficit, so not much gang tackling and our single tacklers didn't get the job done. Also when Dalton was flushed from the pocket he looked like Michael Vick with a jet pack and I can't believe that a ginger is that fast.

As a whole the way we play 3-4 is confusing to me.....because I still remember Wade Phillips 3-4 which was attack attack attack

I'm thinking Danny Batten may be slightly ahead of Shep on the coaches charts for a "quick fix".....the kid plays tough and seems to have a good sense for where the play is leading - he anticipates well.

No shocking revelation here.

But we dont have very good, playmaking linebackers.

Our draft needs to be Pass-rushing OLB, OT, LB. Not necessarily in that order, but if this team wants to be serious, and not just an "any given Sunday" level team, the LB unit needs to be fixed.

I'm curious to know (and too lazy to check) which good LBs will be free-agents this year. Since the Bills can now be considered (damn-near) a contender, we might be more attractive to free agents.

Our draft needs to be Pass-rushing OLB, OT, LB. Not necessarily in that order, but if this team wants to be serious, and not just an "any given Sunday" level team, the LB unit needs to be fixed.

CB will be a high priority unless Williams is able to come back and show some serious skills.

Moats?

We should never have cut Aaron Maybin,... he's on the highlight film sacking and forcing a fumble on Flacco last night. Unbelievable,... he's now officially outplaying Shawn Merriman on the year, WTF???

I am almost ready to say we should see if Batten has more to offer

I wonder if Chan as the nads to sit Merriman......

I hope he does, and it's going to take a large set for them to acknowledge they were wrong about Merriman. It's time to end this experiment and go with the younger players on D. We are not going deep into the playoffs this year, so we should be developing our youngsters for next year, when expectations will be sky high.

Good analysis. I agree, cause for concern. You don't mention Davis, who has been seeing a lot of time.

I put him like Kelsay. He is competent - always seems to be in the right place, but for a ML, he lacks speed in pursuit and he never seems to make that impact play. Barnett is amazing, but I agree - the next piece we need is help at LB.

You know, that's an oversight on my part but more of a condemnation of Davis. We've got a MLB that I haven't seen make a play in 4 games.

Something I failed to mention in my initial post. With Dareus and Williams taking up 4 blockers, LB's should be free to make plays and they're not. This sends a clear message to opposing coaches that we don't have impact LB's. If we had just one LB that coaches had to gameplan for it would make a huge difference. Someone needs to step up.

I agree with the comments about our "hybrid" defense. We seem to be obsessed with showing different fronts rather than playing a single front really well. I've long been a fan of getting your best players on the field at the same time. I'm not sure what defensive alignment does that but it's pretty clear that what were doing right now isn't working.

It almost appears that our defense is playing passive and letting the play come to them. I'd like to see the coaches take a more aggressive approach.

Is Wade working? The guy was a crappy head coach but a defensive monster. Hell he put together a defense that made John Holocek look all-world.

I agree I just don't understand why on earth would we not have blitzed this young qb and been all over him? Our 3-4 is extremely soft. I have been sticking up for Merriman and others and the defense this whole time. What I watched is just showing that our defense is extremely soft. How could we let such a young qb get so many plays on us and why couldn't put any pressure on him? What are we missing on defense? My take on this and I feel it's the LB's because we now have a strong front so we can't point fingers at them anymore. I would easily say it's our LB's who are not performing or putting the heat on like they should be as well.

We should never have cut Aaron Maybin,... he's on the highlight film sacking and forcing a fumble on Flacco last night. Unbelievable,... he's now officially outplaying Shawn Merriman on the year, WTF???

I just saw that- pissed me off as it was 27-17 at that point in the game. That's all we need is for him to start playing well and make plays, especially against us. :censored: