Concerned about our linebackers

We should never have cut Aaron Maybin,... he's on the highlight film sacking and forcing a fumble on Flacco last night. Unbelievable,... he's now officially outplaying Shawn Merriman on the year, WTF???

Are you referring to the play where Maybin got blocked almost to the endzone on his patented upfield rush, and only Flacco's inexplicable decision to hang out in the backfield for 1/2 hr allowed Maybin time to get back into the play?

1. Batten is OLB and can't replace Davis. I agree that he's active and plays with a motor, but he's our 3rd OLB

2. Shep is an inexperienced ILB who coaches don't think is ready to take the job from Davis.

3. As some other poster's have pointed out, we usually play a 4-3 anyway and rarely bring a fifth rusher.

4. Dareus and Kyle have three blockers on them not four. If it were 4 that would leave Dwan or Shawne singled on a TE

I think the future of this team is Moats and Batten outside, Shep and Barnett inside. Searcy at SS and Byrd at FS, Aaron Williams, Florence starting CB's. This to me seems like a very fast, hard hitting defense that can fly.

I would love to see the Bills have the guts to field this team now and let them learn together. Maybe not as starters, but in games where we have a decent lead I would try my best to install my future defense.

Its not like we're crushing teams with our current defensive personnel anyway....

Are you referring to the play where Maybin got blocked almost to the endzone on his patented upfield rush, and only Flacco's inexplicable decision to hang out in the backfield for 1/2 hr allowed Maybin time to get back into the play?

Thats funny, i didn't see the play but I was guessing it wasn't a clean pass rush where he beat his man and got to the QB. Figured it was something like QB error or missed assignment which it sounds like it was..... The fact that the Jets put that guy on the field is testament to how desperate they are at the LB spot. I hope he plays against us. We'll activate Roscoe to block him out of the backfield....

Yeah, that's the one...

I say make one large scale change - Sheppard in for Andrae Davis and let's see what we have. Also, fold in Moats in for Kelsey or Merriman when an obvious pass play is up. I agree thought, with the exeption of Barnett, we need something to change with the LB corp....

If Merriman is only in for 60% of the D snaps, play Moats the other 40%. I think they are shieldling some sort of injury from Merriman. He still plays tentitive. That said, I saw at least two flagrant holds on Merriman that went uncalled. One of them was virtually a horse collar hold. He gets held regularly with no calls.

Some random points.

- I think we also have to acknowledge some really good play-calling by some of the O-coordinators--at least from what I've seen. The Bills, so far, have been very susceptible to draws, screens and reverses.

- I think Merriman has played ok. He hasn't been spectacular, which means the Bills still don't have that stud pass rusher.

- McKelvin is a liability which means the Bills have to give more safety help to his side. That really weakens the overall D, since it takes Byrd out.

- I only noticed Moats in on one play--it might have been Gresham's TD, but it was a pass in the endzone left, and Moats knocked Dalton down on the play, just a tad late.

- The Bills are getting more turnovers, so they must be getting a little better pressure than last year. They just don't have a stud teams have to double.

- I certainly would reserve making any concrete conclusions until the half-way mark.

Go Bills!