Back to Earth

phypon

I don't see how you play a rookie QB in his 4th game and never rush more than 4 men. The key to beating rookies is usually by pressuring them into making mistakes. If the QB beats you by quickly dissecting the blitz and coverage and throwing accurate passes, so be it but to let him just sit back there play after play is horrible.

Fully agree.

This was the week to finally open up the defensive playbook and get after somebody.

Instead we get a Jauron-esque effort.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

kinda disappointing that the Bills used so many draft picks to bolster the defense the last two years and they still stink

Yeah, I was hoping for better from the defense. Its annoying that Leodis McKelvin, Torrell Troup and Alex Carrington our top Defensive picks in the previous 3 year can't earn starting jobs on such a suspect defense. All three of these guys should have risen to be starters by now.

Are you kidding, we couldn't stop the run as the game wore on!

we had the worst D front 7 in the league last year. We added dareus-step in right direction.Now our d front 7 is

better but still poor. Need to draft D linemen /LBs for next couple years and hit free agency.

Fully agree.

This was the week to finally open up the defensive playbook and get after somebody.

Instead we get a Jauron-esque effort.

and it looked like we were opening it up in the 1st half a bit....then we Jauroned.

I think the Bills were too aggressive in attacking the Bengals blitz, trying to go deep against 1:1 coverage. It caused Fitz to hold the ball longer, and took the ball out of Jackson's hands much of the 1st half.

The defense, despite two turnovers and a score, managed to blow a 14 point lead to a rookie QB. I've never seen a 3-4 where the rush comes from the same place every down. They play it like a 4-3; it's almost as if they've turned Merriman into a DE. There's no blitzing scheme whatsoever.

It looks like Edwards is out of his league here. It's time to turn things over to the guy coached his defense to a couple of SB titles.

Edited by jad1

It is time to end the George Edwards experiment.

While the defense is young, it now has more talent than what they've shown so far and that has to be

laid on Edwards - a never-was defensive coordinator.

Turn the defense over to Wanny.

:thumbsup: but hire Kevin Greene next year, I don't see Wanny going away from the superconservative D gameplans.

I think the Bills were too aggressive in attacking the Bengals blitz, trying to go deep against 1:1 coverage. It caused Fitz to hold the ball longer, and took the ball out of Jackson's hands much of the 1st half.

The defense, despite two turnovers and a score, managed to blow a 14 point lead to a rookie QB. I've never seen a 3-4 where the rush comes from the same place every down. They play it like a 4-3; it's almost as if they've turned Merriman into a DE. There's no blitzing scheme whatsoever.

It looks like Edwards is out of his league here. It's time to turn things over to the guy coached his defense to a couple of SB titles.

I don't recall those Cowboys defenses being blitz crazed. Just saying.

How do you have a let down game, when your a complete letdown of a team?

It looks like the Bills will be just bad enough to not make the playoffs and just good enough to not get the first pick in the draft. Another waste of a season.

WOW. Here we go with the doom and gloomers after the first loss. I want to keep winninmg just so I don't have to hear this crap anymore. Some off you guys just can't stay on an even keel. It's 1 loss. There will be more. But there damn well will be more wins too. Jeesh

The Bills should be 1-3, they are even worse than the 2008 Bills.

Same ****, different year. Oh well, hopefully we can get another decent draft, and re-sign a couple guys who are ok with taking less money.

Damn , you were really on the bandwagon last week. You jumped off already??....just stay off, ok.

They played a 4-3, and had the personnel to do so. The could apply pressure with their front 4. The Bills are playing a 3-4 with a 4-3 pass rush. There are no zone or overload blitzes in the Bills playbook, and those are the things that make the 3-4 effective.

Regardless of whether they were "blitz" crazed or not, they got the job done. They killed us in 2 super bowls, Wanny had solid D's at Chicago and at Pitt. It's time for Wanny to take over.

Alright, I am still the glass half full guy and I had a gut feeling that today would be the ending of that undefeated season of ours. Hard to imagine having to do interviews with media around the world and not get too full of oneself.

But, as I watched today's game there were three things that truly turned my stomach and I am waiting for recover to set in.

#1. The officiating. The call, which overruled the first call on the field, that Stevie Johnson had trapped the first down catch had not credibility at all unless someone had money on the game. Every replay angle countered the call that he had either trapped it or never had control. The referees reversed game momentum ... and frankly did a horrendous job with the entire game.

#2. The broadcast crew. Sadly, Steve Tasker was one of the duo. Is he afraid to tell his partner that he is full of it when he rants on and on about the Bills not being good. At one point of the game one of them said that the "Bills were really losing the game because you can't count an interception ..." They were almost as bad as the officials.

#3. The defensive game planning and strategy. I agree with another posting about McKelvin in that I can't figure out what Florence is not covering the #1 guy. McKelvin is lost out there ... he has no football sense and is going to continue to cost us. But, the entire defense seems comfortable laying back and letting other teams march up and down the field. These are bigger players and supposedly more aggressive ones but we have seen three teams in a row move without difficulty against these Bills. And, if New England had gotten the ball back sadly I think they would have scored again.

Not totally in a panic mode ... and think we can beat the Eagles but those 'BIRDS' are going to be playing desperate football next week at THE RALPH. The question is ... will our Bills D play just as desperate?

The clock strikes 12 for the Buffalo Bills!

Kind of puts a more ACCURATE perspective on all those gift turnovers that the Pats gave us last week.

What, you mean, the fact that we collected 2 more this week (and had the call go against us on a fumble)?

I agree, we may have improved the Takeaway/Giveaway ratio this year.

Oh wait, that's not what you meant.........DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM!

I agree, I did NOT like the play calling this game, especially the first quarter and the third quarter. We got away from Fitz's strengths and the stuff that worked well for us, into a bunch of plays we are not designed for. Despite the nickname, Fitz is NOT a rifle. To be accurate on the long ball, he needs time to set his feet and turn into the throw. He didn't have that today. We were finding short stuff over the middle, making 3-4 yds, and then we'd get impatient and move away from it.

Bad coaching on both sides of the ball IMO

???

They are 3-1 and you are calling them a "complete letdown of a team".

I know, I was expecting this and yet, it's still amazing to me. Wow. Just...Wow.

We got fans here who can flip faster than a teenager working the grill at McDonalds

This is the most pathetic thread.

What a bunch of whiners. Boo Hoo

One game. We played a fired up NFL team and they beat us. We are a 4-12 team that is on the rise but we are not going to win them all. This was a poorly played game that we still could have won.

Next week is Philly. Move on. We can win.

to elaborate on point #1, how much longer is shawne merriman going to get completely jobbed by the refs? this guy is being completely molested a handful of times per game that no one will call. i understand there is holding on every play in the nfl, but this guy is getting f----d so hard that if i were him i'd go get a pregnancy test asap!

I still say that if this game was called fairly, we win. Cinci got away with a LOT of holding and pass interfierence today and they also got favorable ball spots all day. I f it was called fairly = we win. The calls were complete BS a;; game long.!!!!!!!!!!!! It's rigged.