Should we make Spiller a WR?

91 members have voted

1. 1. Shou;d we make Spiller a WR?

• Yes
    • No

CS bill, we are not going to outsmart the bad bill B that easily. I do think that other teams would want to keep an eye on CJ when he lines up and that carries some value. But heck we didnt even play that kind of game. Maybe because we were so far behind/ i dont know. sorry if i sounded that simple.

I do thinks that Chan has plenty of stuff up his sleeve for offensive play calling. and at some point spiller and or smith or going to give someone fits.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, clearly there's a reason why the Bills haven't played him. If you remember correctly, Buffalo rushed the Spiller pick to the podium at the draft like he was the greatest thing in the world. Since being drafted, I really only recall a handful of plays that C.J. has made since being drafted. When you get picked in the top 10 of the NFL draft, you should be starting, and there's a reason he's not, me and the guys who posted this aren't the only ones who think something needs to change with Spiller, obviously Chan Gailey does as well. I dont believe Gailey "rushed" to draft Spiller 9th overall to be a situational scat-back who doesn't produce or rarely plays. Say what you will, but Spiller will be traded eventually if he doesn't turn it around.

We couldn't get anything worthwhile in return if we did trade him, so he will be kept. More than anything else the thing thats keeping him on the sidelines is Fred Jackson.

Regarding the usage of a #9 pick, consider the Nix's mindset at the 2010 draft, before he and Gailey had much time to evaluate the team. There was no way to anticipate the needs of the 2011 Bills without making assumptions based on (highly unreliable) fan and media impressions. While it is unfortunate that he has underperformed expectations thus far, and plays a position we've turned out not to need this year, BPA was the right call.

Keep in mind that while Spiller might not be what the 2011 Bills need, he might be what the 2012, 2013, 2014, etc Bills need. Having so few carries is extending his career - RBs tend to have about 2000 touches in them, instead of a fixed number of years. We won't know the true wisdom of the Spiller pick until we also see his impact on those teams.

As another posted suggested. Keep him at RB, but move him around. Give him some reps at Wr, RB, in the backfield with Fred. He's had a few really nice plays this year, with little opportunities. Chan and fitz have to pick and choose the spots to ue him. I think he's a good player and can really help our offense be special.

He's never used as a HB, and he would be a nice addition for the Fitz.

they should use him as a motion back were he is constantly in motion where he could possibly take a hand off or run out into open area and catch passes. Spiller just needs to get get less traffic so he can make more plays.

I dont hate on the guy, I hate the fact that he was the 9th overall pick, has shown marginal ability but many fans still cling to this hope that he develops into something better.

exactly.

The Bills should line him up like Wes welker - which should fit with Chan's offense.

and this.

I dont hate on the guy, I hate the fact that he was the 9th overall pick, has shown marginal ability but many fans still cling to this hope that he develops into something better.

You know Darren McFadden was being considered a bust at this point in his Raider career. He didn't break out until last year (year #3), similar to Eric Moulds. Spiller has shown some capability, just not consistently enough yet. Lets just let him grow and see what happens.

I don't get this post at all. CJ Spiller is a very good runningback. He was a phenom in college who struggled a little bit last year (but who didn't on the Bills?)

Now with the improved offensive line play and our new explosive offense, Spiller is averaging 8.2 yards per carry. In my book, that's pretty good.

Edited by BuckeyeBill

CS bill, we are not going to outsmart the bad bill B that easily. I do think that other teams would want to keep an eye on CJ when he lines up and that carries some value. But heck we didnt even play that kind of game. Maybe because we were so far behind/ i dont know. sorry if i sounded that simple.

I do thinks that Chan has plenty of stuff up his sleeve for offensive play calling. and at some point spiller and or smith or going to give someone fits.

3rdand12, my apologies for being a wise guy.

I guess what frustrates me is the lack of contribution from him. I would love to see him be great. But it does say something when we're in the game of the decade and he doesn't see the field. I think two things factor in: (1) Its hard to justify taking Jackson out when he's been so hot, and (2) CJ has not been a consistent producer, especially when compared to Jackson.

One poster mentioned his stats: 8.2 yards per carry. Well isn't the point that he only has 10 carries in three games?

Anyhow, as I said, nothing personal against CJ Spiller, but for some reason he seems to get a pass on this board and its time for a top 10 draft pick to produce . . . maybe a move to a slot or WR type role would be good for him.

Edited by CSBill

no problem, thats what the boards are about. sharing opinions and hopefully learning something along the way.

i have been frustrated with his very slow development. and its still up for debate whether was a badly placed pick. last year he did not look like much at all. I guess we will all be keeping our eye on hime this season!

Have any of you guys disagreeing with this post actually WATCHED CJ Spiller run the football?...

have you?

3.8 YPC last year

8.2 on his touches so far this year.

4.3 Career YPC

Seems like he might have figured something out.

And yes, I did watch Spiller tear it up in college, and I will soon be watching him tear it up in the NFL. Just wait untill Spiller gets a 10 ft. hole like Jackson gets. You'll see.

With all the Spiller hate, I'm still not sure who people would have wanted. I don't see the Ngata or Orakpo here. Assuming we weren't going to use the magic crystal ball and revisionist history, which one of the next 10 picks is so clearly a better choice? Which of these guys should really have been a top 10 pick?

10 Jaguars Tyson Alualu DE

11 49ers Anthony Davis OT

12 Chargers Ryan Mathews RB

13 Eagles Brandon Graham DE

14 Seahawks Earl Thomas SS

15 Giants Jason Pierre-Paul DE

16 Titans Derrick Morgan DE

17 49ers Mike Iupati OG

18 Steelers Maurkice Pouncey C

19 Falcons Sean Weatherspoon LB

In the redrafts I've seen only Alualu and Pouney are top 15 picks.

I don't think Spiller should be CONVERTED to a WR, but I would like to see him line up there more often. We are enjoying a very special time for Freddie, but Spiller has a lot of potential to help this team a lot, and I don't think people will hate this pick by the time his rookie contract expires.

Getrting him on the field, given the injury to Parrish is not a bad idea. The thought of the Bills receivers, the new impact of tight ends, the addition of the Brad Smith option and Spiller as a "flankerback" (does anyone use that term these days?) would certainly give the Bengals defense a lot to think about. Not to mention Jackson and the running game which has to be a major concern.

No. He will be much more effective as a receiver by creating mismatches and when defenses have to adjust for those mismatches. Spiller will be a good RB in this league before he's through.

Yes, I said it.

GO BILLS!!!

Couldn't agree more. Spiller has all kinds of ability. The only reason he isn't getting more touches is because we have Fred Jackson. Chan knows what he's doing. He will find ways to get Spiller the ball and he will make plays. It's a long season. We have only played three games. Stay tuned.

I think the answer is an emphatic NO! Spiller is a RB. When he was used week 2 he had great production. I think the offense has gotten more complicated not less complicated. It seems to me that the ability to run multiple looks out of the same set is what is important right now. Jackson, as fitz has said, is incredibly versatile. He can run, he can catch and most importantly HE CAN BLOCK. Spiller will continue to come along and should hopefully model his game after the guy in front of him but with the added benefit of incredible speed.

Spiller is still a work in progress in between the ears and he will have some good games like week 2 and some games where you don't remember if he was on the field. As time passes we will hopefully continue to see more good contribution games and fewer invisible games.

I wouldn't "make him a WR" but I would like to see him more involved in the passing game. David Nelson has done a great job taking over for Parrish in the slot, but the truth is slot receivers tend to be faster and more elusive (DeSean Jackson, Wes Welker etc.) That being said, we drafted Spiller for because he has those traits. Get him some more snaps in the slot.