1. 1. Shou;d we make Spiller a WR?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. He will be much more effective as a receiver by creating mismatches and when defenses have to adjust for those mismatches. Spiller will be a good RB in this league before he's through.

Yes, I said it.

GO BILLS!!!

If he had shown any ability I'd say yes but who the hell knows.

...and the Spiller love continues.

I wouldn't say I love Spiller just because I'm willing to give him time to develop. He's got a ways to go but there is no denying his physical talents and potential. But if you wish to hate on the guy until he matures, be my guest.

The OP asked for an opinion on whether or not he should be switched to WR. I don't see the Bills doing that nor should they. He creates mismatches for defenses in the passing game as an RB. He's more effective in that role. As a WR he will NEVER be matched up against LBs or Ss.

GO BILLS!!!

I dont hate on the guy, I hate the fact that he was the 9th overall pick, has shown marginal ability but many fans still cling to this hope that he develops into something better.

Why wouldn't you cling to the hope that he develops? As much as his being the 9th pick pisses you off, is that a reason to just write him off after 19 games? Would you be OK with letting him develop if he were not a high pick? Are high picks always NFL ready or is it just because RBs have a flatter learning curve and Spiller isn't there yet?

Maybe Chan and the boys will cut him tomorrow. Who knows? But as long as he's on the team why not hope for the best? It's no skin off my ass one way or the other.

GO BILLS!!!

I like the idea of splitting him out wide on certain plays, but don't want to see him make a permanent switch. I might be in the minority with the few others who have also said this in the post but I do think he has all the tools to be a good RB. Not sure what you expect to see when he's getting three carriesa game, that's all, if he had close to 10 or 15 a game you'd be seeing a lot more production and you'd be getting some big plays by him.

His biggest problem is he's behind one of the hottest backs in the game right now, it's pretty hard to keep Fred off the field.

Have any of you guys disagreeing with this post actually WATCHED CJ Spiller run the football?...

Yes and he reminds me of many previous RBs with world class speed in college. As a runner, what do you see as Spiller's biggest problem right now?

GO BILLS!!!

I think we should continue to move him around as we did with oakland. With Parrish out for good probably cj will be able to do what parrish did for us and a lot more because he will get better at pass blocking and picking up blitzes seeing creases, and then understanding pass routes and how to work the defender. he is too young and not the fastest learner. this past offseason really affected him i woould guess from lack of teaching and studying playbook.

But he really looked Much better last time at Oakland. We did not use him last week much and i bet bellichick was planning for him.

I stick to that he is not likely a 20-25 + RUNNING play back. But i think he is going to score us more and more points as time goes on.

But as a counter point we are overpaying him for his production right now and that cant last forever.

to answer poll i said no. but ask me in two years again.

I dont hate on the guy, I hate the fact that he was the 9th overall pick, has shown marginal ability but many fans still cling to this hope that he develops into something better.

my thoughts exactly

I don't think I'd make him a Wide Receiver. That would only further delay his learning curve.

Instead, I'd be more tempted to use him like a Reggie Bush or a Darren Sproles. Get him out in space.

In my opinion, that seems to fit our offense better, anyway.

which one? Bush sucks, Sproles is good, very good . . . personally, I'd like to see the Sproles option go into effect

I think we should continue to move him around as we did with oakland. With Parrish out for good probably cj will be able to do what parrish did for us and a lot more because he will get better at pass blocking and picking up blitzes seeing creases, and then understanding pass routes and how to work the defender. he is too young and not the fastest learner. this past offseason really affected him i woould guess from lack of teaching and studying playbook.

But he really looked Much better last time at Oakland. We did not use him last week much and i bet bellichick was planning for him.

I stick to that he is not likely a 20-25 + RUNNING play back. But i think he is going to score us more and more points as time goes on.

But as a counter point we are overpaying him for his production right now and that cant last forever.

to answer poll i said no. but ask me in two years again.

And do we really believe Spiller didn't see any action Sunday because Chan was trying to outsmart Belicheat by not playing him? :blush:

Next thing we know Chan will be sitting Fitz because teams will start to game plan for him . . . he's a freaking mad genius.

Yes and he reminds me of many previous RBs with world class speed in college. As a runner, what do you see as Spiller's biggest problem right now?

GO BILLS!!!

Well, clearly there's a reason why the Bills haven't played him. If you remember correctly, Buffalo rushed the Spiller pick to the podium at the draft like he was the greatest thing in the world. Since being drafted, I really only recall a handful of plays that C.J. has made since being drafted. When you get picked in the top 10 of the NFL draft, you should be starting, and there's a reason he's not, me and the guys who posted this aren't the only ones who think something needs to change with Spiller, obviously Chan Gailey does as well. I dont believe Gailey "rushed" to draft Spiller 9th overall to be a situational scat-back who doesn't produce or rarely plays. Say what you will, but Spiller will be traded eventually if he doesn't turn it around.

which one? Bush sucks, Sproles is good, very good . . . personally, I'd like to see the Sproles option go into effect

I disagree. Bush doesn't suck, he's just not utilized correctly by Miami. They are trying to run him between the tackles, and that's just a crying shame. New Orleans is using Sproles the exact same way they used Bush, and that's why he is as successful as he is being. Bush isn't a feature back, and neither is Spiller at this point.

But, to humor you, yeah, if we used Spiller like New Orleans uses Sproles, and previously Bush, I think it would fit into their offense much better.

Yes and no...yes as in we need to find ways to get him on the field as much as possible which is tough when Freddy is the best RB in football. No as he needs to keep tacking hand offs to get better at the running back position but you cant keep the best RB in football on the bench.

Yes and no...yes as in we need to find ways to get him on the field as much as possible which is tough when Freddy is the best RB in football. No as he needs to keep tacking hand offs to get better at the running back position but you cant keep the best RB in football on the bench.

I loves me some Jackson, but the best back in football?

Well, clearly there's a reason why the Bills haven't played him. If you remember correctly, Buffalo rushed the Spiller pick to the podium at the draft like he was the greatest thing in the world. Since being drafted, I really only recall a handful of plays that C.J. has made since being drafted. When you get picked in the top 10 of the NFL draft, you should be starting, and there's a reason he's not, me and the guys who posted this aren't the only ones who think something needs to change with Spiller, obviously Chan Gailey does as well. I dont believe Gailey "rushed" to draft Spiller 9th overall to be a situational scat-back who doesn't produce or rarely plays. Say what you will, but Spiller will be traded eventually if he doesn't turn it around.

The main reason he isn't playing is that Freddy is playing so much better. It's a good situation for Spiller to be in at the moment. Freddy is a complete back and Spiller has a ways to go so who better to learn from.

As for where he was drafted, that doesn't matter at all right now. It's pointless to discuss it at this point. As the best offensive player on the board at the time, the Bills had ample reason to draft him, especially given Gailey's history as an offensive-minded coach and schematic wizard.

Yes, we'd all like the top picks in a draft to start and contribute right away. I'm sure the Bills did, too, with Spiller. But the fact that he isn't is no reason to right him off as a bust at this time. It's just way too early and he has too many physical gifts to ignore.

Of course if he doesn't turn it around he'll be cut or traded. I've never contended otherwise. That's common sense. Teams can't wait forever on any player. It's just that we are no where near forever with Spiller.

GO BILLS!!!